Alolan Geodude, Graveler, Golem Discussion

I wouldn't say so. The big problem with Electric Phys attackers is the lack of strong stab moves. Even A-Golem's strongest Electric stab without Galvanize is Wild Charge at 90 BP. Now it has access to either Return or Double Edge for a 132 or 160 BP Stab electric attacks, not counting Explosion shenanigans. This ability is what mons like Electrivire and Luxray needed but never got. I would say that Galvanize would be the standard ability with Magnet Pull maybe as a niche set.
It simply isn't fast enough to pull that off - using Galvanize means there's no Sturdy, meaning it gets blown back by common Water, Grass, Fighting (although it is more likely to take one of those, due to the physical orientation; but FB is a problem) and Ground type moves, whilst also still being very susceptible to special threats in general. He hits like a truck, but requires support to get that going.

Golem-A @ Choice Band
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge / Return
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Volt Switch

The last slot is really just filler, but Volt Switch is nice for pivoting out on predicted switch-ins.

Golem-A @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge / Return
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Volt Switch

The last slot is really just filler, but Volt Switch is nice for pivoting out on predicted switch-ins.
9 out of 10 times that predicted switch-in is going to be a Ground type :P

Actually I was thinking it could run Magnet Rise for its last slot. Kinda gimmicky but might be important for some predicted switch-ins.

Also, most of you guys seem to be forgetting regular Golem knows Fire Punch. Once either gen 7.5 comes out or just trading from the previous gen and then evolving (from what I gather, breeding regular mons results in Alolan offspring so maybe evolution will trigger that too), this thing's Magnet Pull set can be used much more effectively.

Actually I was thinking it could run Magnet Rise for its last slot. Kinda gimmicky but might be important for some predicted switch-ins.

Also, most of you guys seem to be forgetting regular Golem knows Fire Punch. Once either gen 7.5 comes out or just trading from the previous gen and then evolving (from what I gather, breeding regular mons results in Alolan offspring so maybe evolution will trigger that too), this thing's Magnet Pull set can be used much more effectively.
No, it's been confirmed that regular Pokemon will still evolve into their regular counterparts.

However, if you breed two regular Pokemon, their offspring will hatch as the Alolan forms.

No, it's been confirmed that regular Pokemon will still evolve into their regular counterparts.

However, if you breed two regular Pokemon, their offspring will hatch as the Alolan forms.
Ah well. Guess we'll have to wait for gen 7,5/move tutors to come out. Still has great potential tho.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magnet Pull in lower tiers seems kind of so-so too. Registeel, Metang @, Aggron, Bastiodon, Bronzong, Steelix, and Forretress all have access to Earthquake (and Escavalier has Drill Run). It needs Fire Blast to come close to effectively trapping Scizor in higher tiers, and Roost shenanigans can make a stall game for Alola Golem (to be fair you could EQ on the prediction). Once Fire Punch returns to its repertoire it could at least function to trap some of the slower Steel-types that aren't as offensively threatening a bit easier (Forretress).

For what it's worth it's a cool flavor change to Golem. Electric Explosion, outside of still having an issue bypassing a Pokemon immune to it, sounds damn appealing in lower tiers at least.

Super stoked to try this thing out. One of the 3 Alolans I'm most excited to try out for sure. I love the typing offensively and the Galvanize ability. :)

Golem-Alolan @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Not entirely sure how useful this is, but I really love patching up poor SpD with Assault Vests. And Golem-A has a good 65 SpD for one. We've seen it work on Conkeldurr who has about the same (although he also has Drain Punch). Return is for lots of damage, Stone Edge is the other STAB while Earthquake is for coverage. I liked the idea of him using a slow Volt Switch as an option, since it can be a tanky pivot with it and bring something else in. This thing is DESTROYED by ground types. Let's just hope the other team doesn't have Dugtrio...

Do we know if Galvanize is a hidden ability or can Aloloan Geodude/Graveler/Golem be caught with it?
It is their Hidden Ability, but HA's are easy to obtain in SuMo via use of SOS Battles. It is possible to continuously prolong Wild Encounters so that the Wild Pokemon keeps calling for help. Each subsequent ally Pokemon will have a higher chance of being Shiny, having high IV's , and having their Hidden Ability than the last.

even if the -ate type abilities are 1.2x now that's still a 450 BP explosion for those who get that, that's 50 BP off from pre-gen 5 explosion.

also unlike mega galie it's a standard mon so it can hold a boosting item to make it more devastating.

Alright so Alolan Golem and Probopass have almost the same exact concept. Is there something about facial hair inherently linked to electricomagnetic rocks that I'm not getting?

Alright so Alolan Golem and Probopass have almost the same exact concept. Is there something about facial hair inherently linked to electricomagnetic rocks that I'm not getting?
You're forgetting a key difference; Golem has a traditional Chinese taser hat.

And metal shavings being attracted to magnetic rock, creating the appearance of facial hair, seems like a fine idea, especial how it's depicted on Golem. I mean, look how closely it resembles an actual collection of metal powder being drawn to a magnet:

Why use Thunderbolt (or Thunder Punch, for that matter) when you can Galvanize Return? (The answer is because you give up being able to trap Steel types or survive a hit when at full HP)
Cool thing about this 'mon compared to most other magnet pull users though, is that because of the fact that it does have more than one option of ability aside from magnet pull, you could bluff it and use one of the other two, and 'cause problem mons to stay in even though they could've switched.

Golem-A @ Expert Belt/Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA/ 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Discharge
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Explosion/Volt Switch

Basically to maximize what it is able to kill with Magnet Pull in what is currently OU. Discharge over thunderbolt because in getting paralysis, you will eventually beat SpD Skarm and you just straight up win vs Physically Defensive ones. Also helps a lot if you can paralyze Jirachi and then kill with EQ to not worry about flinches. Fire Blast for Ferrothorn (2HKO) and Scizor. Earthquake for Heatran and other Steels. Air Balloon is an option to help you vs stuff that is a faster steel type that can pack Earthquake/Earth Power like Mega Metagross, Excadrill, and a more offensive Heatran but the damage Expert Belt provides helps getting kills on the aforementioned steels easier. Last move slot is for coverage to either have a STAB rock move, explosion to blow up on a wall and cripple it after you've trapped the steel you have wanted to or Volt Switch to move around. EV spread is just to guarantee some kills on steel types.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)