ZU Alolan Persian [GP 1/1]

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[SET]
name: Bulky Pivot
move 1: Parting Shot
move 2: Foul Play
move 3: Toxic / Taunt
move 4: Knock Off
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Fur Coat
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Parting Shot in combination with Alolan Persian's fantastic Speed and good Fur Coat-boosted bulk allows it to function as an effective bulky pivot. Foul Play threatens physical attackers, notably setup sweepers such as Rapidash and Silvally-Poison. Toxic wears down Pokemon that don't fear Alolan Persian's attacks such as Alcremie and Tangela, but Taunt can be used to prevent entry hazards from setters such as Qwilfish and Uxie and distrupt recovery attempts from walls such as Miltank and Articuno. Knock Off cripples almost every switch-in, notably strong counters such as Clefairy and Gurdurr.

Alolan Persian fits best on offensive teams as a way to generate momentum and setup opportunities, although defensive teams can also make use of its pivoting capabilities. Wallbreakers and setup sweepers such as Kangaskhan and Frosmoth make good partners due to their ability to muscle through walls Alolan Persian struggles with such as Clefairy and Altaria; in turn it provides them with safe entry. In particular, Rotom is an especially good partner due to the duo's type synergy and effective pivoting. Entry hazard setters such as Piloswine, Alolan Sandslash, and Qwilfish also greatly appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to safely get them on the field, and they wear down the walls it dislikes in return, such as Throh and Poliwrath. Other walls such as Altaria and Tangela benefit from Alolan Persian crippling targets such as Gurdurr and Sawk, which makes checking them easier, and bringing pivot support with Parting Shot, which also weakens opposing attackers. In return, these walls make up for Alolan Persian's lack of reliable recovery and mediocre bulk.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set with maximum HP and Speed investment can be used as a revenge killer, but this set lacks power and limits Alolan Persian's great utility. A Nasty Plot set can be used, but Alolan Persian lacks power even at +2 and has mediocre coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: While they dislike Knock Off and Toxic, Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Gurdurr easily force Alolan Persian out. Choice Scarf Sawk outspeeds Alolan Persian and prevents it from pivoting.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types easily come into Alolan Persian's Dark-type STAB attacks and force it out. Due to Sweet Veil, Alcremie can turn non-Toxic Alolan Persian into setup fodder; Rest Alcremie is even able to turn Toxic Alolan Persian into setup fodder. While Clefairy hates Knock Off, Alolan Persian cannot meaningfully damage it in any way and fears heavy damage from its Moonblast.

**Residual Damage**: Alolan Persian's lack of recovery makes it extremely susceptible to residual damage, especially after losing its Heavy-Duty Boots to Knock Off.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Skunktank and Ninetales easily exploit Alolan Persian's low special bulk.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[SSJRobbieRotten, 535530]]
- Quality checked by: [[Ho3nConfirm3d, 231074], [Jett, 226429]]
- Grammar checked by: [[DC, 449990]]

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Not a QCer, but maybe mention in OO that A-Persian is already quite fast (only Cinccino, Accelgor, and the largely niche Boltund outpace it).
Mold Breaker Sawk in particular can easily break apart since that small 12.5% chance to OHKO turns into a guaranteed OHKO (though it'll sustain a noticeable amount of damage if it switches in).
For the Fairy types, all of them viable are special attackers (which is basically Clefairy and Alcremie). Mention how Taunt notably screws with Pokemon like Pyukumuku and Qwilfish. Foul Play can also mention Centi and Thwackey.

Gangsta Spongebob

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Not a QCer, but maybe mention in OO that A-Persian is already quite fast (only Cinccino, Accelgor, and the largely niche Boltund outpace it).
Mold Breaker Sawk in particular can easily break apart since that small 12.5% chance to OHKO turns into a guaranteed OHKO (though it'll sustain a noticeable amount of damage if it switches in).
For the Fairy types, all of them viable are special attackers (which is basically Clefairy and Alcremie). Mention how Taunt notably screws with Pokemon like Pyukumuku and Qwilfish. Foul Play can also mention Centi and Thwackey.
Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. However note that in the interest of being as to the point as possible, I try to only list a few examples along with the general idea of what something does.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
[SET]
Name: Defensive Pivot

[SET COMMENTS]
Parting Shot in combination with Alolan Persian’s fantastic Speed and good Fur Coat boosted bulk allows Alolan Persian to function as an effective bulky pivot for a variety of offensive and defensive teams. (Fluff) Foul Play allows it to threaten physical attackers, most notably set up sweepers such as Silvally-Ground Rapidash and Silvally-Poison. Toxic is used to wear down Pokemon who don't fear Alolan Persian's offenses, such as Alcreamie and Wishiwashi, but Taunt can be used in its place to stop hazards from the likes of setters such as Qwilfish and Uxie, and distrupt recovery attempts from walls such as Miltank and Audino. Knock Off is used to cripple almost every switch-in, most notably sabotaging otherwise strong counters such as Clefairy and Gurdurr.

Alolan Persian is best fit on offensive teams as a way to generate momentum and opportunities for set up, though defensive teams can also make use of its pivoting capabilities. Rotom in particular is a good partner due to the two's good type synergy and effective pivoting, while Rotom can also ability to break through walls Alolan Persian can't KO on its own, such as Wishiwashi and Qwilfish. Hazard setters, such as Piloswine, Coalossal Alolan Sandslash, and Qwilfish, set up sweepers, such as Frosmoth and Gurdurr, and wallbreakers, such as Kangaskhan, also make good partners, as they appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to safely get them on the field, while they continue to exert pressure on the opposing side by threatening to break through walls or by setting up hazards to further wear them down (make this two sentences: one as sweepers and wallbreakers, the second as entry hazard setters). Other walls such as Miltank and Tangela also enjoy Alolan Persian's utility, as not only does it help them wear down targets (which ones?), but they enjoy its ability to pivot them in while weakening opposing attacks. In return, they make up for Alolan Persian's lack of reliable recovery and mediocre special bulk (and what do they check specifically? Also, tangela has mediocre special bulk too, and miltank is often physically defensive. I’d remove the special bulk part, and make sure to include examples like tangela for sawk. Miltank also might not be the best partner in comparison to say Jellicent, so i’d strongly consider swapping those two)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set with maxed out HP and Speed could be used as a form of speed control, but this set suffers from a general lack of power and limits Alolan Persian's great utility. A Nasty Plot set can be used, but as a special attacker Alolan Persian suffers from a lack of power even at +2 and mediocre coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: While most dislike Knock Off and Toxic, Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Gurdurr easily force Alolan Persian out. Most notably, (comma) Choice Scarf Sawk outspeeds Alolan Persian, denying it the ability to pivot out.

**Fairy-types**: While most dislike Toxic, Fairy types often easily come into Alolan Persian's Dark STAB attacks and force it out. Due to Sweet Veil, Alcreamie sets can turn Alolan Persian into set up fodder if Alolan Persian is running Taunt, while variants with Rest do this regardless. While Clefairy hates Knock Off, Alolan Persian cannot meaningfully damage it in any way, while fearing heavy damage from Clefairy's Moonblast.

**Residual Damage**: Alolan Persian's lack of recovery makes it extremely susceptible to residual damage, especially if its Heavy-Duty Boots is removed when needing to take a Knock Off (shows how persian is complicated as a Dark switch-in).

**Special Attackers**: Special Attackers such as Manectric and Aurorus (change these two 2-3 special aeasily break through Alolan Persian's low special bulk.

QC 1/2! I replaced some of the outdated examples and fixed some minor GP stuff. I trust you to pick the rest and the right examples in this update. Good work!

Gangsta Spongebob

[SET]
Name: Defensive Pivot

[SET COMMENTS]
Parting Shot in combination with Alolan Persian’s fantastic Speed and good Fur Coat boosted bulk allows Alolan Persian to function as an effective bulky pivot for a variety of offensive and defensive teams. (Fluff) Foul Play allows it to threaten physical attackers, most notably set up sweepers such as Silvally-Ground Rapidash and Silvally-Poison. Toxic is used to wear down Pokemon who don't fear Alolan Persian's offenses, such as Alcreamie and Wishiwashi, but Taunt can be used in its place to stop hazards from the likes of setters such as Qwilfish and Uxie, and distrupt recovery attempts from walls such as Miltank and Audino. Knock Off is used to cripple almost every switch-in, most notably sabotaging otherwise strong counters such as Clefairy and Gurdurr.

Alolan Persian is best fit on offensive teams as a way to generate momentum and opportunities for set up, though defensive teams can also make use of its pivoting capabilities. Rotom in particular is a good partner due to the two's good type synergy and effective pivoting, while Rotom can also ability to break through walls Alolan Persian can't KO on its own, such as Wishiwashi and Qwilfish. Hazard setters, such as Piloswine, Coalossal Alolan Sandslash, and Qwilfish, set up sweepers, such as Frosmoth and Gurdurr, and wallbreakers, such as Kangaskhan, also make good partners, as they appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to safely get them on the field, while they continue to exert pressure on the opposing side by threatening to break through walls or by setting up hazards to further wear them down (make this two sentences: one as sweepers and wallbreakers, the second as entry hazard setters). Other walls such as Miltank and Tangela also enjoy Alolan Persian's utility, as not only does it help them wear down targets (which ones?), but they enjoy its ability to pivot them in while weakening opposing attacks. In return, they make up for Alolan Persian's lack of reliable recovery and mediocre special bulk (and what do they check specifically? Also, tangela has mediocre special bulk too, and miltank is often physically defensive. I’d remove the special bulk part, and make sure to include examples like tangela for sawk. Miltank also might not be the best partner in comparison to say Jellicent, so i’d strongly consider swapping those two)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set with maxed out HP and Speed could be used as a form of speed control, but this set suffers from a general lack of power and limits Alolan Persian's great utility. A Nasty Plot set can be used, but as a special attacker Alolan Persian suffers from a lack of power even at +2 and mediocre coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: While most dislike Knock Off and Toxic, Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Gurdurr easily force Alolan Persian out. Most notably, (comma) Choice Scarf Sawk outspeeds Alolan Persian, denying it the ability to pivot out.

**Fairy-types**: While most dislike Toxic, Fairy types often easily come into Alolan Persian's Dark STAB attacks and force it out. Due to Sweet Veil, Alcreamie sets can turn Alolan Persian into set up fodder if Alolan Persian is running Taunt, while variants with Rest do this regardless. While Clefairy hates Knock Off, Alolan Persian cannot meaningfully damage it in any way, while fearing heavy damage from Clefairy's Moonblast.

**Residual Damage**: Alolan Persian's lack of recovery makes it extremely susceptible to residual damage, especially if its Heavy-Duty Boots is removed when needing to take a Knock Off (shows how persian is complicated as a Dark switch-in).

**Special Attackers**: Special Attackers such as Manectric and Aurorus (change these two 2-3 special aeasily break through Alolan Persian's low special bulk.

QC 1/2! I replaced some of the outdated examples and fixed some minor GP stuff. I trust you to pick the rest and the right examples in this update. Good work!
Thank you for the advice! I hope this isn't too much trouble, but I do have a question. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it appears your last point on Special Attackers is incomplete. If that is so, could you let me know what the full correction is?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Thank you for the advice! I hope this isn't too much trouble, but I do have a question. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it appears your last point on Special Attackers is incomplete. If that is so, could you let me know what the full correction is?
I just meant to list special attackers that are B rank or higher on the Vr that check Alolan Persian, as your examples here were more relevant for previous metagames.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
nice work
add remove comments

[SET]
Name: Defensive Bulky Pivot

[SET COMMENTS]
Parting Shot in combination with Alolan Persian’s fantastic Speed and good Fur Coat boosted bulk allows Alolan Persian to function as an effective bulky pivot. Foul Play allows it to threaten physical attackers, most notably set up sweepers such as Rapidash and Silvally-Poison. Toxic is used to wear down Pokemon who don't fear Alolan Persian's offenses, such as Alcreamie and WishiwashiTangela (Tangela doesn't like Knock Off but it still completely walls this Pokemon and Wishiwashi is always Rest so I replaced it), but Taunt can be used in its place to stop hazards from the likes of setters such as Qwilfish and Uxie, and distrupt recovery attempts from walls such as Miltank and Articuno. Knock Off is used to cripple almost every switch in, most notably sabotaging otherwise strong counters such as Clefairy and Gurdurr.

Alolan Persian is best fit on offensive teams as a way to generate momentum and opportunities for set up, though defensive teams can also make use of its pivoting capabilities. Wallbreakers and set up sweepers, such as Kangaskhan and Frosmoth, make good partners due to their ability to muscle through walls Alolan Persian struggles with, while in turn it provides safe entry. In particular, Rotom is an especially good partner due to the duo's type synergy and effective pivoting. Hazard setters, such as Piloswine, Alolan Sandslash, and Qwilfish, also greatly appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to safely get them on the field, while Alolan Persian in return enjoys their ability to wear down the walls it dislikes. Other walls such as Altaria and Tangela also enjoy Alolan Persian's utility, as not only does it help them cripple targets they check such as Gurrdurr and Sawk, but they also enjoy its ability to pivot them in while weakening opposing attacks. In return, they make up for Alolan Persian's lack of reliable recovery and mediocre bulk.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: While most dislike Knock Off and Toxic, Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Gurdurr easily force Alolan Persian out. Most notably, Choice Scarf Sawk outspeeds Alolan Persian, denying it the ability to pivot out.

**Fairy-types**: While most dislike Toxic,(Only non-Rest Alcremie, since Clefairy is the only other common Fairy-type in the metagame) Fairy types often(fluff and p much always unless they are like 10%) easily come into Alolan Persian's Dark STAB attacks and force it out. Due to Sweet Veil, Alcreamie sets can turn Alolan Persian into set up fodder if Alolan Persian is running Taunt, while variants with Rest do this regardless. While Clefairy hates Knock Off, Alolan Persian cannot meaningfully damage it in any way, while fearing heavy damage from Clefairy's Moonblast.

**Residual Damage**: Alolan Persian's lack of recovery makes it extremely susceptible to residual damage, especially if its Heavy-Duty Boots is removed when needing to take a Knock Off.

**Special Attackers**: Special Attackers such as Skunktank and Ninetales easily break through Alolan Persian's low special bulk.
peach_qc_stamp.gif

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments
AC = Add Comma, RC = Remove Comma, AH = Add Hyphen, RH = Remove Hyphen

[SET]
name(lowercase): Bulky Pivot

[SET COMMENTS]
Parting Shot in combination with Alolan Persian's(ASCII Apostrophe) fantastic Speed and good Fur Coat-(AH)boosted bulk allows Alolan Persian it to function as an effective bulky pivot. Foul Play allows it to threatens physical attackers, most notably setup(one word) sweepers such as Rapidash and Silvally-Poison. Toxic is used to wears down Pokemon who that don't fear Alolan Persian's offenses,(RC) attacks such as Alcremie and Tangela, but Taunt can be used in its place to stop to prevent entry hazards from the likes of setters such as Qwilfish and Uxie,(RC) and distrupt disrupt recovery attempts from walls such as Miltank and Articuno. Knock Off is used to cripple almost every switch in, most notably sabotaging otherwise strong counters such as Clefairy and Gurdurr. Knock Off cripples almost every switch-in, notably strong counters such as Clefairy and Gurdurr.

Alolan Persian is best fits best on offensive teams as a way to generate momentum and setup opportunities for set up, although defensive teams can also make use of its pivoting capabilities. Wallbreakers and setup(one word) sweepers,(RC) such as Kangaskhan and Frosmoth,(RC) make good partners due to their ability to muscle through walls Alolan Persian struggles with(examples?);(comma to semicolon) while in return,(AC) it provides them with safe entry. In particular, Rotom is an especially good partner due to the duo's type synergy and effective pivoting. Hazard Entry hazard setters,(RC) such as Piloswine, Alolan Sandslash, and Qwilfish,(RC) also greatly appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to safely get them on the field, while Alolan Persian in return enjoys their ability to wear down the walls it dislikes and they wear down walls it dislikes in return.(examples pls) Other walls such as Altaria and Tangela also enjoy Alolan Persian's utility, as not only does it help them cripple targets they check such as Gurrdurr and Sawk, but they also enjoy its ability to pivot them in while weakening opposing attacks. In return, they make up for Alolan Persian's lack of reliable recovery and mediocre bulk. Other walls such as Altaria and Tangela benefit from Alolan Persian crippling targets such as Gurdurr and Sawk, which makes checking them easier, and bringing pivot support with Parting Shot, which also weakens opposing attackers. In return, these walls make up for Alolan Persian's lack of reliable recovery and mediocre bulk.(I assume this makes sense? The first sentence is a bit confusing.)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set with maxed out maximum HP and Speed could investment can be used as a form of speed control revenge killer, but this set suffers from a general lack of lacks power and limits Alolan Persian's great utility.(speed control =/= fast Pokemon) A Nasty Plot set can be used, but as a special attacker Alolan Persian suffers from a lacks of power even at +2 and has mediocre coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: While most they dislike Knock Off and Toxic, Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Gurdurr easily force Alolan Persian out. Most notably,(RC) Choice Scarf Sawk outspeeds Alolan Persian,(RC) denying it the ability to pivot out and prevents it from pivoting.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-(AH)types easily come into Alolan Persian's Dark-(AH)type STAB attacks and force it out. Due to Sweet Veil, Alcremie sets can turn Alolan Persian into setup fodder if Alolan Persian is running Taunt, while variants with Rest do this regardless. Due to Sweet Veil, Alcremie can turn non-Toxic Alolan Persian into setup fodder; Rest Alcremie is even able to turn Toxic Alolan Persian into setup fodder. While Clefairy hates Knock Off, Alolan Persian cannot meaningfully damage it in any way,(RC) while fearing and fears heavy damage from Clefairy's its Moonblast.

**Residual Damage**: Alolan Persian's lack of recovery makes it extremely susceptible to residual damage, especially if after losing its Heavy-Duty Boots is removed when needing to take a Knock Off.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers(lowercase) such as Skunktank and Ninetales easily break through exploit Alolan Persian's low special bulk.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[SSJRobbieRotten, 535530]]
- Quality checked by: [[Ho3nConfirm3d, 231074], [Jett, 226429]] - Update to Sinnoh
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
GP 1/1. [DC, 449990]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)