LC Alolan Vulpix

[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to its access to Snow Warning. However, it has a few flaws holding it back, as it faces intense competition from other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, which have a better typing and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to brag about either, and its weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail and is much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Unless you're using Alolan Vulpix for its niche, you're better off with another hail setter.

[SET]
name: Hail Support
move 1: Aurora Veil
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Freeze-Dry
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Light Clay
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Timid
evs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aurora Veil is the main purpose of this set, as it is an amazing support move that halves all damage taken by allies, giving Alolan Vulpix's teammates more setup opportunities. Blizzard is a strong 110-Base Power STAB move that has perfect accuracy in hail. Freeze-Dry is a STAB move that hits Water-types such as Chinchou and Staryu super effectively. Hidden Power Ground grants Alolan Vulpix perfect coverage while also dealing with troublesome Steel-types. However, Hidden Power Fighting can also be used in this slot to lure Pawniard and OHKO it.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature alongside maximum Speed investment allows Alolan Vulpix to reach 17 Speed, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs allow it to switch into Stealth Rock one more time. Light Clay is used to extend the duration of Aurora Veil to eight turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to five turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot in Alolan Vulpix carefully to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching Alolan Vulpix into non-resisted attacks, as its bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========

As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of entry hazards that are on its side of the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire- and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice, as it can use Defog to get rid of entry hazards on the field, and it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it enables it to beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo, and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and it can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail, as it doubles its Speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire- and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps regular Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ice Shard is a priority move that can be used to finish off weakened Pokemon, but it's very weak in general. Encore can be used to lock a foe into a status move, though Alolan Vulpix is a bit too frail to use it effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an option to hit Ferroseed harder. Hypnosis is an option to temporarily disable a foe, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up Aurora Veil more easily. However, its shaky accuracy, coupled with Alolan Vulpix's bad bulk, makes it too much of a risk to run. Moonblast ensures that Alolan Vulpix 2HKOes Timburr and Mienfoo, though it isn't great for much else. Icy Wind can be used as a utility move to lower the foe's Speed, though there is a severe cut on power.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Munchlax and Bronzor easily take any of Alolan Vulpix's attacks. Munchlax can utilize Thick Fat to tank any hit from Alolan Vulpix, while Bronzor takes any hit thanks to its typing, which makes it resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Larvesta and Ponyta resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves. Larvesta can take anything that Alolan Vulpix throws at it and OHKOes with Flare Blitz. Ponyta can also fire off a Fire Blast to take care of it as well.

**Faster Pokemon**: Any Pokemon that is faster than Alolan Vulpix is a threat. Pokemon like Gastly and Diglett outspeed and KO with their respective STAB moves.

**Weather Setters**: Opposing weather setters like Vulpix and Hippopotas can get rid of hail, which prevents Alolan Vulpix from setting up Aurora Veil, forcing it to switch out. Vulpix in particular can KO Alolan Vulpix with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Hippopotas, however, cannot switch in directly, as it gets 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry.

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem, as they remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO Alolan Vulpix with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up; then it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Additionally, they can OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STAB moves. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard need to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants, respectively.

Last edited:
Ok so not QC but here are a few general tips before I make an amcheck:
First of all NEVER, and I repeat NEVER abbreviate moves, Pokemon names, abilities, or items. This is just a general thing for analyses as many players don't know abbreviations such as "Spin" or "Scarf".
Second of all, be very careful when using words like "great" or "fantastic" with mediocre mons such as Vulpix-A, as convincing newer players it is great isn't such a great idea.
Finally, you should probably beef this up a lot more. Nothing else to say about this just explain some of the shorter points better.

Ok now on to the QC amcheck (thing won't include any of the stuff mentioned above):

Overview

mention how Vulpix is heavily outclassed by Snover and Amaura as a Hail setter

Set
Slash Icy Rock 1st, Light Clay second, and no Life Orb anywhere
Slash Hypnosis after Hidden Power Fire
change the EV spread to 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236

Moves
Mention every move and explain why it is used
mention Freeze-Dry and Blizzard being STAB
"given to allies" --> "taken by allies"

Set Details
Use 52 HP evs so it takes minimal Stealth Rocks damage
I know it seems dumb, but explain why to use Snow Warning over Snow Veil

Usage Tips
Vulpix's only purpose in life is to set up Hail
it IS NOT a good attacker, at best it's a revenge killer but even then it is pretty bad at it
You restate uses for moves which you should have added to Moves and instead explain here when and when not to use Aurora Veil

Team Options
Be sure to restate here that Vulpix isn't the optimal Hail-setting partner for Sandshrew as it doesn't really provide anything that sandshrew can't already take care of
Swinub? Really?
Remember Vulpix is not a powerful attacker, it is support and only support. You do not need Stealth Rocks to help it do its job
Include hazard removers
Include Vullaby for beating sun teams and being generally good

Other Options
remove Choice Specs

Checks and Counters
Include Sun Pokemon and regular Vulpix

So there are a lot of problems with this, but if you read it over again with all this in mind (as well as that Vulpix isn't a good powerful attacker) then you can probably fix most of it :)

Ok so not QC but here are a few general tips before I make an amcheck:
First of all NEVER, and I repeat NEVER abbreviate moves, Pokemon names, abilities, or items. This is just a general thing for analyses as many players don't know abbreviations such as "Spin" or "Scarf".
Second of all, be very careful when using words like "great" or "fantastic" with mediocre mons such as Vulpix-A, as convincing newer players it is great isn't such a great idea.
Finally, you should probably beef this up a lot more. Nothing else to say about this just explain some of the shorter points better.

Ok now on to the QC amcheck (thing won't include any of the stuff mentioned above):

Overview

mention how Vulpix is heavily outclassed by Snover and Amaura as a Hail setter

Set
Slash Icy Rock 1st, Light Clay second, and no Life Orb anywhere
Slash Hypnosis after Hidden Power Fire
change the EV spread to 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236

Moves
Mention every move and explain why it is used
mention Freeze-Dry and Blizzard being STAB
"given to allies" --> "taken by allies"

Set Details
Use 52 HP evs so it takes minimal Stealth Rocks damage
I know it seems dumb, but explain why to use Snow Warning over Snow Veil

Usage Tips
Vulpix's only purpose in life is to set up Hail
it IS NOT a good attacker, at best it's a revenge killer but even then it is pretty bad at it
You restate uses for moves which you should have added to Moves and instead explain here when and when not to use Aurora Veil

Team Options
Be sure to restate here that Vulpix isn't the optimal Hail-setting partner for Sandshrew as it doesn't really provide anything that sandshrew can't already take care of
Swinub? Really?
Remember Vulpix is not a powerful attacker, it is support and only support. You do not need Stealth Rocks to help it do its job
Include hazard removers
Include Vullaby for beating sun teams and being generally good

Other Options
remove Choice Specs

Checks and Counters
Include Sun Pokemon and regular Vulpix

So there are a lot of problems with this, but if you read it over again with all this in mind (as well as that Vulpix isn't a good powerful attacker) then you can probably fix most of it :)
Added all of the changes here. Thank you!

Hello, very nice analysis but I think some things are missing. I played Vulpix-A a decent amount lately and here are my suggestions.

- Icy Rock is awful on Vulpix. Vulpix is used solely for Aurora Veil, which is much weaker without Light Clay. Eviolite is even worse. I know How3an told you to add it, but really its bad. If someone needs Icy Rock on it then they should be running Snover or Amaura.
- Freeze Dry can be used over Blizzard as the main stab.
- Hidden power Ground gives Vulpix perfect coverage and hits mag. I think it should be the main Hidden power, unless im missing something with Fire.
- Hidden power Fighting kos pawn after chip damage and has good coverage with Vulpix' other moves.
- Ice Shard should be slashed in the last slot for Abra / Sturdy / some other situations
- Maybe mention strong setup sweepers like NP Vullaby and Shellder in team options since they can use veil to setup. Specifically Bulk Up Timburr in aurora veil beats many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo and Croagunk and can sustain itself throught hail with Drain Punch.
- You said Aurorus instead of Amaura
- Doduo has 18 speed so its not outsped by Vulpix at all. I guess you meant Rufflet.

Keep up the good work! :)

Last edited:
Hello, very nice analysis but I think some things are missing. I played Vulpix-A a decent amount lately and here are my suggestions.

- Icy Rock is awful on Vulpix. Vulpix is used solely for Aurora Veil, which is much weaker without Light Clay. Eviolite is even worse. I know How3an told you to add it, but really its bad. If someone needs Icy Rock on it then they should be running Snover or Amaura.
- Freeze Dry can be used over Blizzard as the main stab.
- Hidden power Ground gives Vulpix perfect coverage and hits mag. I think it should be the main Hidden power, unless im missing something with Fire.
- Hidden power Fighting kos pawn after chip damage and has good coverage with Vulpix' other moves.
- Ice Shard should be slashed in the last slot for Abra / Sturdy / some other situations
- Maybe mention strong setup sweepers like NP Vullaby and Shellder in team options since they can use veil to setup. Specifically Bulk Up Timburr in aurora veil beats many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo and Croagunk and can sustain itself throught hail with Drain Punch.
- You said Aurorus instead of Amaura
- Doduo has 18 speed so its not outsped by Vulpix at all. I guess you meant Rufflet.
Hi, thank you for the suggestions!

- Removed, added to Other Options instead.
- Is listed as the last slot, plus Blizzard is too good to give up.
- Changed it to main Hidden Power, added Hidden Power Fire to Other Options.
- HP Fire and Ground are more useful in general.
- Added to "Other Options".
- Added.
- Ugh, those two always confuse me! Fixed.
- My bad, I miscalculated. Replaced with Pawniard, though Vulpix-Alola doesn't have a particularly good matchup against it so it's subject to change.

EDIT: I revised, and I think that you were right in the fact that Freeze-Dry is better for utility purposes.

Last edited:
Well, you do what you want, but my point was the Blizzard is NOT too good to give up. In fact Freeze Dry is overall better and can be used as the main move. Running Blizzard+Freeze Dry should not be recommended, at least not as the "main set". Similarly, HP ground and Ice shard are part of the main options Vulpix can use, not just "other options". For exemple, Ice Shard has more value than Hypnosis imo. Anyway as I said, I'm just here to help so not going to argue more if you don't like the suggestions thats perfectly fine.

One more small thing, maybe you could mention somwhere that Vulpix is not absolute garbage against Sun, as, while its destroyed by Vulpix itself, it can actually mess Bellsprout up by switching into all of its moves, especially Solar Beam and weather ball, and then outspeed it. However, keep in mind that Aurora Veil will fail if Sun vulpix switches-in. I don't know wether or not you should add this to the analysis but its an intersting fact.

By the way on the team option part, maybe mention that since Veil lasts long enough, those setup sweepers are also much harder to revenge kill thanks to the veil, making the "sweeping" itself easier on top of just having free setup like with Memento. If that makes any sense.

By the way I think outspeeding Pawniard is very relevant, since its very common and Vulpix can live Iron Head once Veil is setup. You could also add Vullaby and Dwebble, thought, as they also have 16 speed.

EDIT: Also in Counters section, you could mention that Brick break, Psychic Fangs and Defog all remove the Aurora Veil.

:D

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Just make sure you emphasise Aurora Veil and stuff like freeze dry which makes it good

[SET]
nice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
good

Set Details
========
you should mention the icy rock for dedicated hail teams but leave it as a mention only

Usage Tips
========
set hail for slush rush users
avoid switch into attacks

Team Options
========
  • mention more set up sweepers
  • sandshrew-a
  • diglett

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

remove Extrasensory, since half the poisons get hit harder by freeze dry and the rest are irrelevant or nearly so.
remove icy rock since you're mentioning it before

Checks and Counters
===================
remove vulpix
mention defoggers since they remove screens. mention psychic fangs carv under the same section but limit it to that.
pawniard, ferroseed, honedge need mentions since they don't care much about hp ground and freeze dry.
opposing weather: vulpix + hippo can remove hail, making hail oriented teams using vulpix suffer. they cannot switch in though

QC: 1/3

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]

Just make sure you emphasise Aurora Veil and stuff like freeze dry which makes it good

[SET]
nice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
good

Set Details
========
you should mention the icy rock for dedicated hail teams but leave it as a mention only

Usage Tips
========
set hail for slush rush users
avoid switch into attacks

Team Options
========
  • mention more set up sweepers
  • sandshrew-a
  • diglett

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

remove Extrasensory, since half the poisons get hit harder by freeze dry and the rest are irrelevant or nearly so.
remove icy rock since you're mentioning it before

Checks and Counters
===================
remove vulpix
mention defoggers since they remove screens. mention psychic fangs carv under the same section but limit it to that.
pawniard, ferroseed, honedge need mentions since they don't care much about hp ground and freeze dry.
opposing weather: vulpix + hippo can remove hail, making hail oriented teams using vulpix suffer. they cannot switch in though

QC: 1/3
All implemented. Thank you!

Hi again! Very good work :D Just by the way I think Moonblast should still be slashed on the last slot. See ya :)

Overview:
- I wouldn't say 17 speed is great, that feels too strong.
- Remove the point about Snow Warning not boosting Ice attacks
- Add something about Freeze Dry as it's the only viable user of it in LC

Moves:
- Mention why you would use Blizzard instead of only talking about its downsides.

Set Details:
- Don't mention Snow Cloak

Usage Tips:
- Change only purpose to main purpose
- Why is Aurora Veil best used midgame? This point doesn't feel very strong in general and could be deleted
- Add something about not using Aurora Veil when the opponent has a weather setter like Vulpix

Team Options:
- Alolan Sandshrew's weaknesses aren't relevant here
- Mention Diglett particularly trapping Vulpix

Other Options:
- Moonblast, Icy Wind

Checks and Counters:
- Remove Priority, it's not very relevant
- You mention "both" of Alolan-Vulpix's STABs a couple times. It's not a Fairy-type
- Remove Moonblast mention from Specially Defensive Pokemon
- Replace Salandit with Larvesta as it is a much more consistent check due to HP Ground being neutral rather than 4x effective
- Weather setters don't prevent it from setting up Aurora Veil as far as I know, they just remove it's effects. Reword that point a bit
- Change Defoggers to Screens Removal, add Brick Break Pawniard

QC 2/3, sorry it's been awhile since your last QC check! Good work with this :toast:

Overview:
- I wouldn't say 17 speed is great, that feels too strong.
- Remove the point about Snow Warning not boosting Ice attacks
- Add something about Freeze Dry as it's the only viable user of it in LC

Moves:
- Mention why you would use Blizzard instead of only talking about its downsides.

Set Details:
- Don't mention Snow Cloak

Usage Tips:
- Change only purpose to main purpose
- Why is Aurora Veil best used midgame? This point doesn't feel very strong in general and could be deleted
- Add something about not using Aurora Veil when the opponent has a weather setter like Vulpix

Team Options:
- Alolan Sandshrew's weaknesses aren't relevant here
- Mention Diglett particularly trapping Vulpix

Other Options:
- Moonblast, Icy Wind

Checks and Counters:
- Remove Priority, it's not very relevant
- You mention "both" of Alolan-Vulpix's STABs a couple times. It's not a Fairy-type
- Remove Moonblast mention from Specially Defensive Pokemon
- Replace Salandit with Larvesta as it is a much more consistent check due to HP Ground being neutral rather than 4x effective
- Weather setters don't prevent it from setting up Aurora Veil as far as I know, they just remove it's effects. Reword that point a bit
- Change Defoggers to Screens Removal, add Brick Break Pawniard

QC 2/3, sorry it's been awhile since your last QC check! Good work with this :toast:
All implemented! Writing up now!~

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[9:05 PM] levi: yea i think deslash is good

[9:05 PM] levi: blizzard seems important

levi agrees, i just think ice shard should be moved to OO. it's very weak and you're running a -atk nature, but also don't really wanna sacrifice that much on bulk. it's only useful for a couple of things. put it top in OO though

"Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like Vulpix" - this confused me for a sec. maybe say regular vulpix or soemthing?

In other options, say that moonblast ensures you 2hko timburr and mienfoo but isn't great for much else

I feel like the set should be reordered to
aurora veil
blizzard
freeze dry
hidden power

it's very minor but since you talk about aurora veil being it's best niche, it should be top. and then blizz is the main stab, then coverage

3/3

[9:05 PM] levi: yea i think deslash is good

[9:05 PM] levi: blizzard seems important

levi agrees, i just think ice shard should be moved to OO. it's very weak and you're running a -atk nature, but also don't really wanna sacrifice that much on bulk. it's only useful for a couple of things. put it top in OO though

"Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like Vulpix" - this confused me for a sec. maybe say regular vulpix or soemthing?

In other options, say that moonblast ensures you 2hko timburr and mienfoo but isn't great for much else

I feel like the set should be reordered to
aurora veil
blizzard
freeze dry
hidden power

it's very minor but since you talk about aurora veil being it's best niche, it should be top. and then blizz is the main stab, then coverage

3/3
All implemented! Ready for-
Aw, yeah! Glad I made it this far, ready for GP!

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Amcheck
Keep in mind that this does not count as an official GP check, you are free to implement whatever you see fit.
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to it's access to Snow Warning, though this is, sadly, not true. It faces tense competition by other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, who have better typings and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to write home about either, and it's weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, not all is lost for this little ice fox, as it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail, which is rendered much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Use Alolan Vulpix for its niche, otherwise, you're better off with another hail setter.
I don't know if this comes under GP or under QC, but the overview might need a bit of work. It both starts and ends on a negative note about Alolan Vulpix, and this isn't going to make the reader want to consider using it. Moreover, the entire overview seems to be written in a slightly negative manner, with only one sentence talking about how it could be used properly.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aurora Veil is Alolan Vulpix's biggest draw, as it is an amazing support move that halves all damage taken by allies, allowing for potential set up opportunities for Alolan Vulpix's other teammates. Blizzard is a strong 110 BP STAB move that has perfect accuracy when hail is up. Freeze-Dry is a STAB move that hits Water-types such as Chinchou and Staryu super-effectively. Hidden Power Ground grants Alolan Vulpix perfect coverage while also dealing with troublesome Steel-types. However, Hidden Power Fighting can also be used in this slot as to lure Pawniard and OHKO it.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature as well as maximum investment in Speed allow Alolan Vulpix to reach a good 17 Speed stat, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs makes allows it to take minimal damage from Stealth Rock. Light Clay is used to extend the period of Aurora Veil to 8 turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to 5 turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot into Alolan Vulpix carefully as to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching into non-resisted attacks, as Alolan Vulpix's bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========
As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of hazards on from the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice as not only can it use Defog to get rid of hazards on the field, but it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by Hail hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to setup set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it can beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail as it doubles its speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up Hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ice Shard is a priority move that can be used to finish off weakened Pokemon, but it's very weak in general. Encore can be used to lock a foe into a status move, though Alolan Vulpix is a bit too frail to use it effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an option to hit Ferroseed harder. Hypnosis is an option to temporarily disable a foe, allowing to to set up Aurora Veil more easily. However, its shaky accuracy, coupled with Alolan Vulpix's bad bulk, makes it too much of a risk to run. Moonblast ensures that you 2HKO Timburr and Mienfoo, though it isn't great for much else. Icy Wind can be used as a utility move to lower the opponent's Speed, though there is a severe cut on power.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Munchlax and Bronzor easily take any of Alolan Vulpix's attacks. Munchlax can utilize Thick Fat to tank any hit from Alolan Vulpix, while Bronzor takes any hit thanks to its typing, which makes it resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Larvesta and Ponyta resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs. Larvesta can take anything Alolan Vulpix throws at it and OHKOs with Flare Blitz. Ponyta can also fire off a Fire Blast to take care of it as well.

**Faster Pokemon**: Any Pokemon that is faster than Alolan Vulpix is a threat. Pokemon like Gastly and Diglett outspeed and KO with their respective STAB moves.

**Weather setters**: Opposing weather setters like Vulpix and Hippopotas can get rid of hail, which prevents Alolan Vulpix from setting up Aurora Veil, forcing it to switch out. Vulpix in particular can KO Alolan Vulpix with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Hippopotas however, cannot switch in directly as it gets 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry.

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem as they also remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up, where it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Not only that, but they can also OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STABs. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard both need to beware of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants respectively.

There wasn't much to do, good job.

Last edited:
Amcheck
Keep in mind that this does not count as an official GP check, you are free to implement whatever you see fit.
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to it's access to Snow Warning, though this is, sadly, not true. It faces tense competition by other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, who have better typings and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to write home about either, and it's weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, not all is lost for this little ice fox, as it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail, which is rendered much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Use Alolan Vulpix for its niche, otherwise, you're better off with another hail setter.
I don't know if this comes under GP or under QC, but the overview might need a bit of work. It both starts and ends on a negative note about Alolan Vulpix, and this isn't going to make the reader want to consider using it. Moreover, the entire overview seems to be written in a slightly negative manner, with only one sentence talking about how it could be used properly.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aurora Veil is Alolan Vulpix's biggest draw, as it is an amazing support move that halves all damage taken by allies, allowing for potential set up opportunities for Alolan Vulpix's other teammates. Blizzard is a strong 110 BP STAB move that has perfect accuracy when hail is up. Freeze-Dry is a STAB move that hits Water-types such as Chinchou and Staryu super-effectively. Hidden Power Ground grants Alolan Vulpix perfect coverage while also dealing with troublesome Steel-types. However, Hidden Power Fighting can also be used in this slot as to lure Pawniard and OHKO it.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature as well as maximum investment in Speed allow Alolan Vulpix to reach a good 17 Speed stat, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs makes allows it to take minimal damage from Stealth Rock. Light Clay is used to extend the period of Aurora Veil to 8 turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to 5 turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot into Alolan Vulpix carefully as to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching into non-resisted attacks, as Alolan Vulpix's bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========
As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of hazards on from the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice as not only can it use Defog to get rid of hazards on the field, but it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by Hail hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to setup set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it can beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail as it doubles its speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up Hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ice Shard is a priority move that can be used to finish off weakened Pokemon, but it's very weak in general. Encore can be used to lock a foe into a status move, though Alolan Vulpix is a bit too frail to use it effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an option to hit Ferroseed harder. Hypnosis is an option to temporarily disable a foe, allowing to to set up Aurora Veil more easily. However, its shaky accuracy, coupled with Alolan Vulpix's bad bulk, makes it too much of a risk to run. Moonblast ensures that you 2HKO Timburr and Mienfoo, though it isn't great for much else. Icy Wind can be used as a utility move to lower the opponent's Speed, though there is a severe cut on power.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Munchlax and Bronzor easily take any of Alolan Vulpix's attacks. Munchlax can utilize Thick Fat to tank any hit from Alolan Vulpix, while Bronzor takes any hit thanks to its typing, which makes it resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Larvesta and Ponyta resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs. Larvesta can take anything Alolan Vulpix throws at it and OHKOs with Flare Blitz. Ponyta can also fire off a Fire Blast to take care of it as well.

**Weather setters**: Opposing weather setters like Vulpix and Hippopotas can get rid of hail, which prevents Alolan Vulpix from setting up Aurora Veil, forcing it to switch out. Vulpix in particular can KO Alolan Vulpix with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Hippopotas however, cannot switch in directly as it gets 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry.

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem as they also remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up, where it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Not only that, but they can also OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STABs. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard both need to beware of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants respectively.

There wasn't much to do, good job.
All implemented. I agree with your changes for Overview but i'll need some time to change it since i'm not feeling well today. Thank you for the amcheck!

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]
(add blank line)
At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to it's its access to Snow Warning. (AP) However, though this is, sadly, not true. (RP) it faces tense competition by from other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, who which have a better typings typing and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to write home brag about either, and it's its weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, not all is lost for this little ice fox, as it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail, which is rendered much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Use Unless you're using Alolan Vulpix for its niche, otherwise, (RC) you're better off with another hail setter.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aurora Veil is the main purpose of this set Alolan Vulpix's biggest draw, as it is an amazing support move that halves all damage taken by allies, allowing for potential giving Alolan Vulpix's teammates more set up setup opportunities for Alolan Vulpix's other teammates. Blizzard is a strong 110 BP 110-Base Power STAB move that has perfect accuracy when in hail is up. Freeze-Dry is a STAB move that hits Water-types such as Chinchou and Staryu super effectively (RH). Hidden Power Ground grants Alolan Vulpix perfect coverage while also dealing with troublesome Steel-types. However, Hidden Power Fighting can also be used in this slot as to lure Pawniard and OHKO it.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature as well as alongside maximum Speed investment in Speed allow allows Alolan Vulpix to reach a good 17 Speed stat, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs allows allow it to take minimal damage from Stealth Rock. Light Clay is used to extend the period duration of Aurora Veil to 8 eight turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to 5 five turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot into Alolan Vulpix carefully as to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching Alolan Vulpix into non-resisted attacks, as Alolan Vulpix's bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========
(add blank line)
As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of entry hazards from that are on its side of the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire- (AH) and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice, (AC) as not only can it can use Defog to get rid of entry hazards on the field, but and it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it can beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo, (AC) and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and it can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail, (AC) as it doubles its Speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire- (AH) and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps regular Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ice Shard is a priority move that can be used to finish off weakened Pokemon, but it's very weak in general. Encore can be used to lock a foe into a status move, though Alolan Vulpix is a bit too frail to use it effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an option to hit Ferroseed harder. Hypnosis is an option to temporarily disable a foe, allowing Alolan Vulpix to to set up Aurora Veil more easily. However, its shaky accuracy, coupled with Alolan Vulpix's bad bulk, makes it too much of a risk to run. Moonblast ensures that you 2HKO Alolan Vulpix 2HKOes Timburr and Mienfoo, though it isn't great for much else. Icy Wind can be used as a utility move to lower the opponent's foe's Speed, though there is a severe cut on power.

Checks and Counters
===================
(add blank line)
**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Munchlax and Bronzor easily take any of Alolan Vulpix's attacks. Munchlax can utilize Thick Fat to tank any hit from Alolan Vulpix, while Bronzor takes any hit thanks to its typing, which makes it resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Larvesta and Ponyta resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs STAB moves. Larvesta can take anything that Alolan Vulpix throws at it and OHKOs OHKOes with Flare Blitz. Ponyta can also fire off a Fire Blast to take care of it as well.

**Weather Setters**: Opposing weather setters like Vulpix and Hippopotas can get rid of hail, which prevents Alolan Vulpix from setting up Aurora Veil, forcing it to switch out. Vulpix in particular can KO Alolan Vulpix with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Hippopotas, (AC) however, cannot switch in directly, (AC) as it gets 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry.

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem, (AC) as they also remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO Alolan Vulpix with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up, where then it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard, (AC) and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs STAB moves and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Not only that, but they can also OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STABs STAB moves. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard both need to beware be wary of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants respectively.
GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]
(add blank line)
At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to it's its access to Snow Warning. (AP) However, though this is, sadly, not true. (RP) it faces tense competition by from other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, who which have a better typings typing and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to write home brag about either, and it's its weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, not all is lost for this little ice fox, as it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail, which is rendered much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Use Unless you're using Alolan Vulpix for its niche, otherwise, (RC) you're better off with another hail setter.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aurora Veil is the main purpose of this set Alolan Vulpix's biggest draw, as it is an amazing support move that halves all damage taken by allies, allowing for potential giving Alolan Vulpix's teammates more set up setup opportunities for Alolan Vulpix's other teammates. Blizzard is a strong 110 BP 110-Base Power STAB move that has perfect accuracy when in hail is up. Freeze-Dry is a STAB move that hits Water-types such as Chinchou and Staryu super effectively (RH). Hidden Power Ground grants Alolan Vulpix perfect coverage while also dealing with troublesome Steel-types. However, Hidden Power Fighting can also be used in this slot as to lure Pawniard and OHKO it.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature as well as alongside maximum Speed investment in Speed allow allows Alolan Vulpix to reach a good 17 Speed stat, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs allows allow it to take minimal damage from Stealth Rock. Light Clay is used to extend the period duration of Aurora Veil to 8 eight turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to 5 five turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot into Alolan Vulpix carefully as to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching Alolan Vulpix into non-resisted attacks, as Alolan Vulpix's bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========
(add blank line)
As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of entry hazards from that are on its side of the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire- (AH) and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice, (AC) as not only can it can use Defog to get rid of entry hazards on the field, but and it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it can beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo, (AC) and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and it can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail, (AC) as it doubles its Speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire- (AH) and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps regular Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ice Shard is a priority move that can be used to finish off weakened Pokemon, but it's very weak in general. Encore can be used to lock a foe into a status move, though Alolan Vulpix is a bit too frail to use it effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an option to hit Ferroseed harder. Hypnosis is an option to temporarily disable a foe, allowing Alolan Vulpix to to set up Aurora Veil more easily. However, its shaky accuracy, coupled with Alolan Vulpix's bad bulk, makes it too much of a risk to run. Moonblast ensures that you 2HKO Alolan Vulpix 2HKOes Timburr and Mienfoo, though it isn't great for much else. Icy Wind can be used as a utility move to lower the opponent's foe's Speed, though there is a severe cut on power.

Checks and Counters
===================
(add blank line)
**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Munchlax and Bronzor easily take any of Alolan Vulpix's attacks. Munchlax can utilize Thick Fat to tank any hit from Alolan Vulpix, while Bronzor takes any hit thanks to its typing, which makes it resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Larvesta and Ponyta resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs STAB moves. Larvesta can take anything that Alolan Vulpix throws at it and OHKOs OHKOes with Flare Blitz. Ponyta can also fire off a Fire Blast to take care of it as well.

**Weather Setters**: Opposing weather setters like Vulpix and Hippopotas can get rid of hail, which prevents Alolan Vulpix from setting up Aurora Veil, forcing it to switch out. Vulpix in particular can KO Alolan Vulpix with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Hippopotas, (AC) however, cannot switch in directly, (AC) as it gets 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry.

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem, (AC) as they also remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO Alolan Vulpix with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up, where then it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard, (AC) and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STABs STAB moves and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Not only that, but they can also OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STABs STAB moves. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard both need to beware be wary of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants respectively.
GP 1/2
All implemented, I believe. Thanks for the check!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to its access to Snow Warning. However, it has a few flaws holding it back, as it faces intense competition from other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, which have a better typing and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to brag about either, and its weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail (RC) which and is much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Unless you're using Alolan Vulpix for its niche, you're better off with another hail setter.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aurora Veil is the main purpose of this set, as it is an amazing support move that halves all damage taken by allies, giving Alolan Vulpix's teammates more setup opportunities. Blizzard is a strong 110-Base Power STAB move that has perfect accuracy in hail. Freeze-Dry is a STAB move that hits Water-types such as Chinchou and Staryu super effectively. Hidden Power Ground grants Alolan Vulpix perfect coverage while also dealing with troublesome Steel-types. However, Hidden Power Fighting can also be used in this slot to lure Pawniard and OHKO it.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature alongside maximum Speed investment allows Alolan Vulpix to reach 17 Speed, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs allow it to take minimal damage from Stealth Rock. ("switch into Stealth Rock one more time"? it goes from 20 HP to 21 HP so yea) Light Clay is used to extend the duration of Aurora Veil to eight turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to five turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot into Alolan Vulpix carefully to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching Alolan Vulpix into non-resisted attacks, as Alolan Vulpix's its bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========

As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of entry hazards that are on its side of the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire- and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice, as it can use Defog to get rid of entry hazards on the field, and it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it can enables it to beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo, and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and it can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail, as it doubles its Speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire- and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps regular Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ice Shard is a priority move that can be used to finish off weakened Pokemon, but it's very weak in general. Encore can be used to lock a foe into a status move, though Alolan Vulpix is a bit too frail to use it effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an option to hit Ferroseed harder. Hypnosis is an option to temporarily disable a foe, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up Aurora Veil more easily. However, its shaky accuracy, coupled with Alolan Vulpix's bad bulk, makes it too much of a risk to run. Moonblast ensures that Alolan Vulpix 2HKOes Timburr and Mienfoo, though it isn't great for much else. Icy Wind can be used as a utility move to lower the foe's Speed, though there is a severe cut on power.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Munchlax and Bronzor easily take any of Alolan Vulpix's attacks. Munchlax can utilize Thick Fat to tank any hit from Alolan Vulpix, while Bronzor takes any hit thanks to its typing, which makes it resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Larvesta and Ponyta resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves. Larvesta can take anything that Alolan Vulpix throws at it and OHKOes with Flare Blitz. Ponyta can also fire off a Fire Blast to take care of it as well.

**Weather Setters**: Opposing weather setters like Vulpix and Hippopotas can get rid of hail, which prevents Alolan Vulpix from setting up Aurora Veil, forcing it to switch out. Vulpix in particular can KO Alolan Vulpix with a Drought-boosted Fire Blast. Hippopotas, however, cannot switch in directly, as it gets 2HKOed by Freeze-Dry.

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem, as they remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO Alolan Vulpix with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up; (SC) then it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Not only that, Additionally, they can also OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STAB moves. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard both need to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants, (AC) respectively.

Last edited:

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

At first glance, Alolan Vulpix seems like an amazing Pokemon thanks to its access to Snow Warning. However, it has a few flaws holding it back, as it faces intense competition from other hail setters such as Amaura and Snover, which have a better typing and better stats overall. Its offenses are nothing to brag about either, and its weakness to Stealth Rock limits its longevity. Its low bulk also doesn't help, leaving it easily revenge killed by priority or faster Pokemon. However, it has a niche in being the best user of Aurora Veil in LC, which is a great support move that can only be used in hail (RC) which and is much easier to set up thanks to Snow Warning. Unless you're using Alolan Vulpix for its niche, you're better off with another hail setter.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

A Timid nature alongside maximum Speed investment allows Alolan Vulpix to reach 17 Speed, outspeeding foes such as Pawniard. 52 HP EVs allow it to take minimal damage from Stealth Rock. ("switch into Stealth Rock one more time"? it goes from 20 HP to 21 HP so yea) Light Clay is used to extend the duration of Aurora Veil to eight turns. If need be, Icy Rock can be used in its place for dedicated hail teams, but this means that Aurora Veil gets reduced to five turns, which hinders Alolan Vulpix's effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Alolan Vulpix's main purpose is to set up Aurora Veil for its allies. If you have a Slush Rush user on your team, make sure to pivot into Alolan Vulpix carefully to set up hail and keep it healthy. It's recommended that you avoid switching Alolan Vulpix into non-resisted attacks, as Alolan Vulpix's its bulk is awful. Aurora Veil should also be used with caution when the opponent has a weather setter like regular Vulpix, as it can only be used when hail is up, thereby giving them a free switch if they predict an Aurora Veil.

Team Options
========

As it is weak to Stealth Rock, Alolan Vulpix appreciates having a Rapid Spin or Defog user as a teammate to get rid of entry hazards that are on its side of the field. Mold Breaker Drilbur is a great choice, as it can get rid of Fire- and Steel-types, including Levitate Bronzor. Vullaby is also a great choice, as it can use Defog to get rid of entry hazards on the field, and it also has a great matchup against sun teams, as well as not getting damaged by hail thanks to Overcoat. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby benefit greatly from Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up Aurora Veil, as it makes it easier for them to grab a boost. Aurora Veil also makes those setup sweepers harder to revenge kill. Bulk Up Timburr in particular benefits from Aurora Veil greatly, as it can enables it to beat many of its checks like Vullaby, Doduo, and Croagunk. Alolan Sandshrew appreciates Aurora Veil, and it can use Rapid Spin to clear Stealth Rock away in return. It also appreciates Alolan Vulpix's ability to set up hail, as it doubles its Speed thanks to Slush Rush. Diglett traps the Fire- and Steel-types that Alolan Vulpix is weak to. It also traps regular Vulpix in particular, allowing Alolan Vulpix to set up hail freely.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Screen Removers**: Pokemon that run Defog, such as Vullaby, are a problem, as they remove Aurora Veil from the field. Carvanha, if running Psychic Fangs, also gets rid of Aurora Veil. It can also OHKO Alolan Vulpix with its other moves unless Aurora Veil is up; (SC) then it gets OHKOed by Freeze-Dry. Brick Break Pawniard forces Alolan Vulpix out unless it's running Hidden Power Fighting and can use Brick Break to clear Aurora Veil away.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Honedge all resist Alolan Vulpix's Ice-type STAB moves and take almost nothing from Hidden Power Ground. Not only that, Additionally, they can also OHKO it with their respective Steel-type STAB moves. However, Ferroseed and Pawniard both need to be wary of Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting variants, (AC) respectively.
All implemented! This is Done. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)