Headlines “Politics” [read the OP before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
I am OK with the co2. Primative humans lived through the ice age and the thawing that came after. Climate changes as a result of co2 sounds mild in comparison. We are already making great progress and with that said I am not in the doom and gloom camp. What is scarier is giving governments more power

Primative humans lived through the ice age and the thawing that came after
which happened over thousands of years, with our ancestors being unbound by infrastructure, technology, a fixed place to live and the only natural resource that was needed being food in relatively small amounts. You can't compare our ancestors' situation with ours. They were small, nomadic groups that were able to adapt to change, we are a huge civilization that's absolutely unable to deal with changes to our environment

Climate changes as a result of co2 sounds mild in comparison
It never happened as fast as it does now. Ice ages came and went in a span of millennia, our climate change in the span of decades. The entire ecosystem and climate itself is unable to deal with this rapid change, and we even more so.

What is scarier is giving governments more power
They already have the theoretical power but they're all in the pockets of big corpos that put short term monetary gain over the fate of the planet

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
The entire ecosystem and climate itself is unable to deal with this rapid change, and we even more so.
It's hard to take these concerns seriously when the most vocal climate people say how we are doomed in 5 years ever 5 years
1686857993891.png

We've already made so much progress in being more efficient, so I think people just need to cool it with the alarmism. Capitalism is seemingly the scape goat for all the world's problems, no different here

It's hard to take these concerns seriously when the most vocal climate people say how we are doomed in 5 years ever 5 years
View attachment 526371
We've already made so much progress in being more efficient, so I think people just need to cool it with the alarmism. Capitalism is seemingly the scape goat for all the world's problems, no different here
Capitalism is the source of many problems, that's the thing. It's not really a scapegoat when it's done untold amounts of damage to many things including the environment. Every system has it's problems, and I'm not going to act like I know the solution to everything as to what system the world should use or anything like that, but the damage of unfettered capitalism can't be understated, especially in America. We've made progress, true, but the fact of the matter is the progress is not enough. It's not alarmism when the general scientific consensus is that we're killing the planet faster and faster and that corporations are the source of a majority of environmental issues.

Also, she deleted that tweet and the article itself never mentions anything about humanity actually going extinct in five years on the dot, it was misconstrued by many. Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/greta-thunberg-deleted-2018-tweet-on-humanity/

Even if it were completely accurate and true, science by nature is ever evolving and ever changing. What one scientist said years ago may be completely out of date and they may have even changed their hypothesis by then. To get an actual consensus in science something must be proven without a shadow of the doubt, which climate change and our effect on climate change has been ad nauseam.

I am OK with the co2. Primative humans lived through the ice age and the thawing that came after. Climate changes as a result of co2 sounds mild in comparison.

I'm curious if you're one of the billions of people that will be affected by coastal flooding, increases in severe weather events, crop loss and water shortages due to droughts, and the socioeconomic conflicts that will inevitably arise because of these issues. There are plenty of other reasons why climate change is bad, but this attitude is jaw-droppingly asinine when we're talking about something that has the potential to outright kill millions due to food and water shortages and cause an immense amount of human suffering and (worse if you're a conservative I guess) economic damage.

Oh, and all those things I just described? That's the conservative predictions for the long-term effects of climate change. These are the things that we know definitely will happen, not the worst case scenario, especially if we continue to accelerate the production of emissions.

Also hunter-gatherers during the last ice age has literally nothing to do with it and I'm genuinely not sure if you're trolling by even bringing it up, because that sounds like the kind of thing I'd say ironically to make fun of climate change deniers.

We are already making great progress
Citation needed?

What is scarier is giving governments more power
I mean I'm no fan of centralized power, being like an anarchist and shit, but the dichotomy here isn't 'take power away from the people and give it to the government', it's 'take power away from megacorporations who are using it to destroy the planet to enrich their CEOs and shareholders and give it to the government'. Since I don't foresee a great anarchist awakening any time soon, this is the best option we've got available to us. I would rather a government that (at least theoretically) has a vested interest in solving the issue have power than corporations and shareholders who have vested interests in not solving the issue.

But as zf touched upon, this is not an issue that can be solved within the current neoliberal framework that NA/EU governments operate within. As long as profit and infinite growth are the driving factors of the economy, this problem will not be solved, consequences be damned. Given the way you've framed this issue already, something tells me you're not ready to have this discussion though.
View attachment 526371
Are conservatives illiterate? I mean usually yes, but holy shit, read the fucking quote you just posted. Does it say humanity will be wiped out in 5 years or does it say that if we don't stop using fossil fuels over the next five years we'll have passed the point of no return? By the way, I don't exactly agree with that quote myself and I do think it is arguably an example of unproductive alarmism (not that a teenage girl being dramatic on twitter offsets the mountains of hard evidence in favor of climate change, imagine grasping at straws that hard lmao), but even when you've got a debatably legitimate example of alarmism you still feel the need to misrepresent it. Maybe it's time to do some introspection and examine the things you believe in, and more importantly why.

Capitalism is seemingly the scape goat for all the world's problems, no different here
It's seemingly the cause for a lot of the world's problems, not sure why you even bothered commenting about it at all though if you aren't going to offer any kind of rebuttal to the clear and demonstrable links between profit motives and climate change, such as how ExxonMobil has known about climate change and the impacts it will have since the 70s and still chose to fund disinformation campaigns to suppress that information. Why? For profit of course. How does this fit into your benevolent Laissez-Faire capitalist worldview exactly?

EDIT:

The YouTube algorithm strikes again and provides me with this fantastically relevant video to the recent discussions that have taken place in this thread.

Last edited:
Imagine

- You invade a foreign country that's a portion of the size and has the portion of your country's population
- Said invasion has been planned for months
- Additionally, your country has one of the largest military budgets in the world and is, by number of soldiers, the 5th biggest military in the world
- Can't accomplish what you wanted to accomplish in 3 days over the span of 17 months
- Bleed out your population of young men, a demographical group your country needs desperately
- Embarrass yourself before the entire world, who feared and respected your military power so far, as they now see how your military is completely and absolutely incompetent and ill-prepared
- Said world now starts to brutally sanction you
- Still have some allies in dictatorships... who abandon you after seeing that you're absolutely not worth their time
- Turn a large part of the population against you
- Also turn a part of your (alleged) allies against you
- Now, in addition to your failed invasion, you have a civil war on your hands
- Said civil war is led by the only competent fighters your country had access to

Invading Ukraine is one of the biggest missteps of a leader in modern history. I know dictators are usually incompetent but to rule a country with a history like Russia's for decades with some stability and having it fall apart in the span of 1.5 years? Bonkers

War is serious and I genuinely hope loss of life is minimal, and that the end result brings better living conditions to the people of Russia. Everything about the war in Ukraine is a human tragedy.

But Russia being so cartoonishly incompetent that the most successful part of this invasion is them invading themselves is "anti-vaxxer getting COVID" levels of comedy. Pro-war Russians watching their homes be invaded by Russia is also hilarious irony.

You know you fucked up when even Democrats and Republicans agree your entire nation needs to get fucked. Again I hope loss of life is minimal, but perhaps this is the upset Ukraine needs to force the invaders back across the border. Fuck you Putin, suffer the consequences of your own actions.

Edit: They canceled the civil war. Cowards.

Last edited:
They canceled the civil war because Putin is spineless even against his own underlings and completely caved into Prigozhin's demands, despite calling him a traitor and a terrorist.

I genuinely think this is Putin's final straw. Being a strongarm dictator just doesn't work when you're actually a spineless coward. Other people in the Russian military structure will smell the blood in the water. The question is, how much worse will whoever replaces him be?

Russian forces withdrawing from Ukraine is absolutely a victory, but if those forces are to be redeployed to neocolonial efforts in Africa, as the Wagner group seems to want, then Russian aggression might just be starting.

Russian forces withdrawing from Ukraine is absolutely a victory, but if those forces are to be redeployed to neocolonial efforts in Africa, as the Wagner group seems to want, then Russian aggression might just be starting.
I suppose that China could take issue with this as they want Africa to be their's

I think Prigozhin made his move as he knows that Putin is done for and he wants to position himself as a possible successor. I can imagine that once Putin's in the ground or fled, Prigozhin will resurface in Russia as the new (wannabe) strongarm dictator

I sometimes wonder if Russia will fall apart. From what I've seen, there's some Russian identity across the different ethnicities and entities, but I wouldn't be surprised if say the Chechens would take their opportunity towards independence after Putin leaves

https://apnews.com/article/student-loan-forgiveness-supreme-court-653c2e9c085863bdbf81f125f87669fa

I hate the Supreme Court & the Republican Politicians that held our economy hostage over this crap. Giving Billionaires and Politicians billions of dollars in bailouts is perfectly fine, but helping the average person deal with the predatory student loan practices is suddenly too much and requires us to "care about fiscal responsibility"? GTFO

I believe that the reason the student loan plan got rejected was because it didn't get approval from Congress, but guess which party is primarily to blame for that.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
https://apnews.com/article/student-loan-forgiveness-supreme-court-653c2e9c085863bdbf81f125f87669fa

I hate the Supreme Court & the Republican Politicians that held our economy hostage over this crap. Giving Billionaires and Politicians billions of dollars in bailouts is perfectly fine, but helping the average person deal with the predatory student loan practices is suddenly too much and requires us to "care about fiscal responsibility"? GTFO

I believe that the reason the student loan plan got rejected was because it didn't get approval from Congress, but guess which party is primarily to blame for that.
Honestly, I saw it coming. It just made sense to be honest. I am not a fan of the people on the Supreme Court currently but there's not much to do if the Supreme Court overturns it. Not looking forward to paying my student loan but it is what it is :(

Honestly, I saw it coming. It just made sense to be honest. I am not a fan of the people on the Supreme Court currently but there's not much to do if the Supreme Court overturns it. Not looking forward to paying my student loan but it is what it is :(
Yeah, same here. I think there is still a chance if Congress passing something, but that's extremely unlikely.

At the very least, the pause was pretty useful.

Just a reminder that the leftist bubble that is Smogon University doesn't actually represent US politics. 46% of US voters in 2020 voted for Trump. 51% voted for Biden. Keep in mind a huge number of those voters were voting against Trump, and not for "early 20s on Reddit Berniebro politics". At the moment the Supreme Court is conservative and thus decides how to uphold the constitution (though this is far from being "dictators"). Congress is more or less split but without 60/100 filibuster proof majority little can be done without bipartisan support. As for Biden, well he's been surprisingly great, but the other two branches limit his power. This is by design of course, after 4 years of Trump you should all be happy his slight majority didn't result in him ripping up the constitution.

Are you sad about the recent Supreme Court rulings? Are you making genuinely bad-faith internet meme posts stating the Supreme Court has "made it illegal to not be racist" or are you whining about Democracy using caps lock and mentioning fossil Pokémon while the US voted the people into power who picked these judges? Seriously are you whining about Ketanji Brown Jackson or are you specifically just mad about the ones that don't agree with you?

Well good news and bad news. Bad news is regardless of what Smogon or Reddit says, your opinions are either in the minority or slight majority. Not enough for sweeping change... yet. Good news? Gen Z votes Democrat by an absolutely ludicrous amount and in addition old people have an amazing habit of dying, or at least getting too old to go to the voting booth. Conveniently, supreme court decisions such as "fuck poor college students" really piss off poor college students. It does an amazing job getting young people to go vote. We already saw this with the red trickle in the midterms, which is historic considering usually Democrats get their cheeks clapped. We see this in Republican policies that disenfranchise young, poor, immigrant, and minority voters. Do they do this because they are cartoonishly Disney evil? Obviously not. They're just delaying the inevitable. Not unlike the captured brain bug on planet P, they're afraid.

The hard reality is that if you are young and liberal the US isn't going to be what you want it to right now. Suck it up or move. Enjoy your low taxes and relatively high paying jobs (the gas station near me in TX pays 17 an hour despite 7.25 minimum wage). But in a decade or so, oh boy we are in for a treat. Free college, healthcare, higher minimum wage, all that good welfare shit. As for Trump? He's probably going to get his colon violently burst in prison, but if he makes it to any sort of election he's going to flop due to his comically low 39% approval rating (lower than Biden!).

While you sit here and high five your fellow liberals about how great 15 an hour min wage is keep in mind that the people you surround yourselves with don't actually represent the US. While change is inevitable it still takes time. There will be more political misses than hits for a while. So don't let the dumb supreme court debt relief get to you. The things you want are coming, eventually. Victory is inevitable.

Just a reminder that the leftist bubble that is Smogon University doesn't actually represent US politics. 46% of US voters in 2020 voted for Trump. 51% voted for Biden. Keep in mind a huge number of those voters were voting against Trump, and not for "early 20s on Reddit Berniebro politics". At the moment the Supreme Court is conservative and thus decides how to uphold the constitution (though this is far from being "dictators"). Congress is more or less split but without 60/100 filibuster proof majority little can be done without bipartisan support. As for Biden, well he's been surprisingly great, but the other two branches limit his power. This is by design of course, after 4 years of Trump you should all be happy his slight majority didn't result in him ripping up the constitution.

Are you sad about the recent Supreme Court rulings? Are you making genuinely bad-faith internet meme posts stating the Supreme Court has "made it illegal to not be racist" or are you whining about Democracy using caps lock and mentioning fossil Pokémon while the US voted the people into power who picked these judges? Seriously are you whining about Ketanji Brown Jackson or are you specifically just mad about the ones that don't agree with you?

Well good news and bad news. Bad news is regardless of what Smogon or Reddit says, your opinions are either in the minority or slight majority. Not enough for sweeping change... yet. Good news? Gen Z votes Democrat by an absolutely ludicrous amount and in addition old people have an amazing habit of dying, or at least getting too old to go to the voting booth. Conveniently, supreme court decisions such as "fuck poor college students" really piss off poor college students. It does an amazing job getting young people to go vote. We already saw this with the red trickle in the midterms, which is historic considering usually Democrats get their cheeks clapped. We see this in Republican policies that disenfranchise young, poor, immigrant, and minority voters. Do they do this because they are cartoonishly Disney evil? Obviously not. They're just delaying the inevitable. Not unlike the captured brain bug on planet P, they're afraid.

The hard reality is that if you are young and liberal the US isn't going to be what you want it to right now. Suck it up or move. Enjoy your low taxes and relatively high paying jobs (the gas station near me in TX pays 17 an hour despite 7.25 minimum wage). But in a decade or so, oh boy we are in for a treat. Free college, healthcare, higher minimum wage, all that good welfare shit. As for Trump? He's probably going to get his colon violently burst in prison, but if he makes it to any sort of election he's going to flop due to his comically low 39% approval rating (lower than Biden!).

While you sit here and high five your fellow liberals about how great 15 an hour min wage is keep in mind that the people you surround yourselves with don't actually represent the US. While change is inevitable it still takes time. There will be more political misses than hits for a while. So don't let the dumb supreme court debt relief get to you. The things you want are coming, eventually. Victory is inevitable.
Every time I unblock you I instantly regret it. Maybe this time I won't make that mistake.

On the other hand, thanks for dropping the facade of pretending to even be a liberal. It wasn't working very well anyways.
Wrong, I voted Democrat every election I legally could. By US standards politically I'm a tiny bit right of Bernie Sanders, but far left of Biden. Just because im not as far left as the resident Pokémon forum communist doesn't make me not a liberal, and if you think so you're in the extreme minority bubble I previously mentioned. But you have a habit of blatant low effort strawman so say what you'd like. Call me a Republican if it makes you feel better.

Wrong, I voted Democrat every election I legally could. By US standards politically I'm a tiny bit right of Bernie Sanders, but far left of Biden. Just because im not as far left as the resident Pokémon forum communist doesn't make me not a liberal, and if you think so you're in the extreme minority i previously mentioned. But you have a habit of blatant low effort strawman so say what you'd like. Call me a Republican if it makes you feel better.
isn't it not a difference of how leftist you guys are, but the y axis of individual control and state-control? it's hard to pinpoint something like socialism and liberalism based on one axis, as both of you guys are fit under the american democratic party and left

isn't it not a difference of how leftist you guys are, but the y axis of individual control and state-control? it's hard to pinpoint something like socialism and liberalism based on one axis, as both of you guys are fit under the american democratic party and left
Political compass theory kind of falls apart when you realize in the west like 1% of people occupy the top left or bottom right. It's really just an object for Libertarians to pretend they're important.

Commies gotta settle for the Democrats. Libertarians get the guy who wears a boot on his head, that's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)