Headlines “Politics” [read the OP before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
sorry mcgrrr u lost the 2022 smogon neoliberal ideologue cage match when u posted a graph of the performance of an asset called 'junk' (your exact words) bonds and said the fact that they weren't doing well is cause for alarm.

It's a shame cause RL is so close to telling us that inflation is all in our heads and that we just need to trust the central bankers, which would have been an autolose.

economics is a pseudoscience, have a nice day.

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I do not usually care for your posts, but I feel obligated to respond to such a blatant ad hominem.

On the topic of strawmen, of course Myzozoa would provide his two cents, as he makes a living from either ignoring or misunderstanding nuance to back people into a low-resolution disagreeable corner from which he will claim victory. The very concept of "winning" and "losing" in this context is so absurd to me, because it leaves no room for discourse between opposing points of view. The possibility that somebody who he disagrees with might know something that he does not is entirely dismissed out of hand.

The motive for me posting that chart is to demonstrate how unprecedented the current rate of inflation is i.e. junk bonds represent the riskiest debt, and as such are priced with the highest premiums. The fact that these junk yields are not enough to beat CPI should be be cause for concern, because by extension, nothing within traditional realms of investment can therefore beat CPI. It follows then that inflation is too high and is making everybody poorer in real terms, with the poorest most affected because inflation is a regressive tax.

That is ALL I intended and I did not realise that linking to the source of this data would require a caveat. It is curious that you would write fanfiction about what I may or may not believe based on a simple chart and a link.

Myzozoa

It follows then that inflation is too high and is making everybody poorer in real terms, with the poorest most affected because inflation is a regressive tax.
please stop insulting and using the wrong pronouns for me, most of us just don't need a junk bond-CPI chart to know how inflation works or when it is too much and we def don't need a crackpot ideologue article about the evils of government overreach through *checks notes* spending money on the CARES act so that neolibs like u can be like 'oh no government spending, not today satan, I am such a learned economist'.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
scrubbed the last page of responses for personal comments/swiftboating

y’all are more than capable of having this discussion without it devolving

Myzozoa

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/16/afghanistan-money-biden-white-hosue-us

in a typically american fashion, we have decided to stop paying "the taliban", now that we're at peace with them. I have mentioned before that the war in Afghanistan was a sham that lined the pockets of western military contractors/corporations and "the taliban" at length. Well, now the war is over and we lost and "the Taliban" IS THE GOVERNMENT of Afghanistan, so you can't talk about "the taliban" like it isn't twice as suspicious of a phrase as it was before, when it was already highly vague and opaque. The mail man who delivers letters in Kabul will be "THE TALIBAN" now, so will the garbage collectors... At the minimum, the American government appears to be unwilling to distinguish between the taliban state in afghanistan and the people of afghanistan. It would be easy enough to find a way to put this money back towards Afghanistan somehow, even if it would be too nauseating for the squeamish to return the money directly to the government, but we can't even do that we have to plunder some more spoils of war.

Further, Al Qaeda, who is supposedly responsible for 9-11, is a saudi enterprise, not afghani. "the taliban" p much had v little to do w 9-11 other than harbor Al Qaeda in exchange for money and reputation. In particular, 'the taliban' as it exists in its current 2022 iteration, has nothing to do w the doing of 9-11. Most of the 9-11 hijackers were from saudi, and al qaeda itself is a saudi cabal, so this whole idea is v irresponsible and shameful, to take money from a fucking broke-ass country and use it to pay-off the families of American victims of 9-11. Like we can't use our own money to do that, we don't care about them enough for that.

Myzozoa

It's funny how an inflation rate of 6% caused such controversy and now that we've hit 8.5% nobody can afford to post in this thread anymore.
Because inflation is all Biden’s fault and not happening anywhere else in the world.

And I would emphasize the point mentioned in the article that all the inflation is just a big corporate power grab (not rhetorical, but don't @ me) see:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...on-corporate-america-increased-prices-profits
Sounds about right. The rich get richer.

Since Biden got elected my home value has increased over 35%. Kind of insane.

If Roe vs Wade gets overturned it doesn't mean abortion is Federally banned, it just means states get to decide.

So if you live somewhere Liberal / left your abortion rights won't change, or might even be expanded. But if you live in, Texas for example, get fucked.

Hopefully this means Democrats will actually go vote in 2022 but instead they'll probably just blame Biden for everything and have lower turnout than polls suggest giving Republicans yet another undeserved win. As is tradition.

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
Shit like this makes me go bug-eyed whenever I see #votebluenomatterwho.

Years of republicans saying “we’re going to overturn roe v wade” with years of democrats not seeming to believe republicans actually meant it. What good is a political party that does not do anything to oppose its opposition party?

The consequences will be dire for plenty of folks who live in the states that will lick their lips the second roe disappears. What follows, I suppose, will also be cool. Alito hinted at obergefell being comparable, as far as he’d consider an illegal act being erroneously made legal. I don’t think there’s any coincidence with Florida dusting off the old groomer rhetoric that was the meat and potatoes for homophobes back in the 90s and 00s. There’s plenty of more opportunities for cool amendments to be done, and I’m excited to see what will come up considering we have politicians actively campaigning on “ban critical race theory” and “I would let Donald trump fuck my wife”

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
https://reproductiverights.org/maps/what-if-roe-fell/

This is a good resource for anyone looking for an idea on how states will go with Roe v Wade torn down. Some states have legal protections in place, while others - that's every darker red on here - are extremely hostile and will probably enact legislations against abortion immediately. Arizona had a 15-week ban once and has a ban literally written in preparation for when this will happen.

For the lazybones who won't click links, here's the map itself. However, there is more context to each state's hostilities on the site, so if your state is red, you need to have a look. Right now. Do it. Gogogo!
1651625247583.png

Now a lot of people are going to go "just move to those states 5head" without realising that the people who have abortions are normally people who cannot afford to raise a child in the first place. You think those women can move to a whole other state? Get over yourself. It also disregards that those are the people who have to fight against these restrictions, as in...they're the only ones who will care enough to actively campaign every second of the day, as it affects them. Support their activism and understand their situation, yeah?

Now a lot of people are going to go "just move to those states 5head" without realising that the people who have abortions are normally people who cannot afford to raise a child in the first place. You think those women can move to a whole other state? Get over yourself. It also disregards that those are the people who have to fight against these restrictions, as in...they're the only ones who will care enough to actively campaign every second of the day, as it affects them. Support their activism and understand their situation, yeah?
Wouldn't the more likely scenario be traveling to a state where abortion is available? Not that it wouldn't be an additional expense and hassle regardless, but it seems more realistic than relocating. Legitimately asking, I'm not sure if there are laws to stop this or something.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Wouldn't the more likely scenario be traveling to a state where abortion is available? Not that it wouldn't be an additional expense and hassle regardless, but it seems more realistic than relocating. Legitimately asking, I'm not sure if there are laws to stop this or something.
Prepare to be gobsmacked! There's been moves from states like Texas to prevent this exact thing. I couldn't find the article I was viewing regarding this, but here's a recent opinion article on this exact subject. Essentially, the more extreme states - that's the 13 that have "trigger" laws that will go into effect the second Roe falls - aim to ban pregnant women from travelling out state at all.

It's ridiculous, but if you actually want to guarantee you'll be able to abort ever, moving before any of this has the chance to happen is a "better" prospect.

Keep in mind that the US isn't exactly new to travel bans, there was an outright ban on Muslims coming into the country just two yeard ago. With something that extreme happening before, and the pearl clutching madness these anti-abortion people experience, collaborating with states to enforce these bans seems very possible.

Shit like this makes me go bug-eyed whenever I see #votebluenomatterwho.

Years of republicans saying “we’re going to overturn roe v wade” with years of democrats not seeming to believe republicans actually meant it. What good is a political party that does not do anything to oppose its opposition party?

The consequences will be dire for plenty of folks who live in the states that will lick their lips the second roe disappears. What follows, I suppose, will also be cool. Alito hinted at obergefell being comparable, as far as he’d consider an illegal act being erroneously made legal. I don’t think there’s any coincidence with Florida dusting off the old groomer rhetoric that was the meat and potatoes for homophobes back in the 90s and 00s. There’s plenty of more opportunities for cool amendments to be done, and I’m excited to see what will come up considering we have politicians actively campaigning on “ban critical race theory” and “I would let Donald trump fuck my wife”
"Why won't the Democrats do things I and others like me won't empower them to do?" Americans really don't understand their own systems of governance, do they? It's pretty rich hearing complaints about Democrats in office not doing enough from people who refuse to do the most basic of actions when things don't go their way. The reality is a vast majority of self-proclaimed "progressives" and "leftists" in America just don't give two shits about the Republican Party enacting its agenda and won't organise or do anything to undermine said agenda, then blame it on the very people who actually do make that effort.

Anyways, I shouldn't have to explain how courts and state legislatures work. Take a civics class.

Prepare to be gobsmacked! There's been moves from states like Texas to prevent this exact thing. I couldn't find the article I was viewing regarding this, but here's a recent opinion article on this exact subject. Essentially, the more extreme states - that's the 13 that have "trigger" laws that will go into effect the second Roe falls - aim to ban pregnant women from travelling out state at all.

It's ridiculous, but if you actually want to guarantee you'll be able to abort ever, moving before any of this has the chance to happen is a "better" prospect.

Keep in mind that the US isn't exactly new to travel bans, there was an outright ban on Muslims coming into the country just two yeard ago. With something that extreme happening before, and the pearl clutching madness these anti-abortion people experience, collaborating with states to enforce these bans seems very possible.
You have another option: You can travel to Canada. This isn't a joke, you absolutely can get an abortion in Canada and there's going to be pressure on the government to expand claimants for asylum based on the renewed attacks on Roe v Wade, so you can avoid persecution by moving to Canada.

Last edited:

Myzozoa

good thing i am not too poor and traveling out to canada for abortion is legal according to my state.

nice to see that after 30 seconds of pretending that we care abt the poor babies that can't travel we've shifted to 'it's the progressives fault that while we control the house, senate, presidency we can't protect abortion rights. when will they learn how government works?'

this is so mustarded it is beyond the pale even for the dynamics of these forums.

"Why won't the Democrats do things I and others like me won't empower them to do?" Americans really don't understand their own systems of governance, do they? It's pretty rich hearing complaints about Democrats in office not doing enough from people who refuse to do the most basic of actions when things don't go their way. The reality is a vast majority of self-proclaimed "progressives" and "leftists" in America just don't give two shits about the Republican Party enacting its agenda and won't organise or do anything to undermine said agenda, then blame it on the very people who actually do make that effort.
As far as I know, Dems have both the Senate, the House and the presidency since about a year. What else are "leftists" and "progressives" supposed to do to "empower" the Dems? How is it still the voters' and not the politicians' fault?

Last edited:
good thing i am not too poor and traveling out to canada for abortion is legal according to my state.

nice to see that after 30 seconds of pretending that we care abt the poor babies that can't travel we've shifted to 'it's the progressives fault that while we control the house, senate, presidency we can't protect abortion rights. when will they learn how government works?'

this is so mustarded it is beyond the pale even for the dynamics of these forums.
Filibuster means that we don't really control the house and senate. We definitely don't control the Supreme Court either.

But instead how about you tell me what legal powers the Democrats have right now to prevent this.

Anyways, I shouldn't have to explain how courts and state legislatures work. Take a civics class.
Actually this is a Pokémon forum. The vast majority of people on this website know more about EVs / IVs than they do about the people in their own state government. This isn't an insult to the people here, it's just reality that no one comes to Smogon for the tiny politics topic. It actually might be helpful to a lot of people here to explain in detail why the Democrats "do nothing" when they don't have the legal power to do so.

Last edited:
Filibuster means that we don't really control the house and senate. We definitely don't control the Supreme Court either.

But instead how about you tell me what legal powers the Democrats have right now to prevent this.

Actually this is a Pokémon forum. The vast majority of people on this website know more about EVs / IVs than they do about the people in their own state government. This isn't an insult to the people here, it's just reality that no one comes to Smogon for the tiny politics topic. It actually might be helpful to a lot of people here to explain in detail why the Democrats "do nothing" when they don't have the legal power to do so.
That Americans in their mid twenties understand their own systems of governance less than Pokemon mechanics is kind of my point lol. Blaming Democrats for the actions of Republican judiciaries and Republican legislatures is extremely smoothbrained stuff, especially when it's accompanied by implications that having control of the executive and federal legislative branches means they magically decide everything that happens in the country.

It's not even magical thinking, it's just a totally thoughtless conclusion to arrive at. It's an excuse for pretend outrage for people who give so little of a shit that they can't be bothered to learn how the US got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)