Headlines “Politics” [read the OP before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain why wanting a viable Conservative party makes for a “lost cause.”
the only reason i'm engaging with you in the first place is to reveal how toxic your ideology is/hurt your credibility in the eyes of any onlookers who might still believe that you're 'reasonable.' you're really good at coming off as 'pragmatic' and 'reasonable,' so all I can really say is, thank you for actually willingly admitting that you want a strong conservative party. it truly does destroy any credibility you might have had with anyone except for probably mrhands.

Why would anybody want a conservative party?
Opposing views can lead to introspection. None of our ideologies are perfect.

the only reason i'm engaging with you in the first place is to reveal how toxic your ideology is/hurt your credibility in the eyes of any onlookers who might still believe that you're 'reasonable.' you're really good at coming off as 'pragmatic' and 'reasonable,' so all I can really say is, thank you for actually willingly admitting that you want a strong conservative party. it truly does destroy any credibility you might have had with anyone except for probably mrhands.
Great non-answer to the question. How does wanting a viable Conservative party make one a lost cause? Be specific.

^ youre about to get hit with the raikoulover classic: "that's a strawman. no idea what you could possibly be arguing against there"

it's pretty funny though. if you see the amount of infighting within leftist circles, the idea that we need nazis in the mix in order for there to be healthy conflict/discourse is laughable

not really related but since the title of this thread has become more general:

I mean right now "moderate democrats" are actually conservatives, and "conservatives" right now are a cult using the word as a cover. The fantasy that the cult will implode and moderate democrats will go to where they belong is never going to happen.

Edit: Or maybe the cult is true conservatism, and "moderate democrats" are too embarrassed/ashamed to be associated with them.

If you would have told me 12 months ago that we'd have complete control over the WH, senate, and house and somehow we'd still get nothing done i would have told you to go fuck off. We're literally negotiating with ourselves, Republicans don't have to do anything when these "moderate" democrats are doing it for them. Shits insane man, bare minimum and can't even do that. These are the kinds of things that stop people for voting in elections because you promise these things to working families that depend on these changes and you don't do it.

2021 is shaping up to be a great year. First we officially got rid of the Orange Turd, then Oreo™ said trans people exist, and most recently, Twitch launched a tremendous marketing campaign celebrating Womxn's History Month. It's wonderful seeing how inclusive we are becoming as a society under Joe Biden. And don't even get me started on Kamala! The representation she is bringing as a Latinx womxn is outstanding. Little brown boys and girls are going to remember her for decades when they look at their destroyed cities. I know not everyone is happy about these two not fulfilling their campaign promises, but let's just reflect for a moment and think about where we were just last year. Remember when kids were being separated from their families and being locked in cages? Now we've moved them to Child Migrant Facilities! And it's only been 2 months! Just think of how much we can accomplish in 4 years. Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts. I'm off to help my wife with her dialysis treatment. Geez, this $1400 stimulus can't come soon enough!

Progress is slow. The smallest steps forward towards basic features every other first world country has don’t happen overnight. Surely we can eventually turn the country around if we keep the same facsimiles of progress going strong so even more people retreat from the liberalized non-commitment on pressing issues into the honest hate of the modern Republican Party, using QAnon as an outlet to make sense of why the world sucks, or numb themselves thoroughly through irony poisoning until they’re unabashed nazis.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ya the political reality of Manchin being unwilling to vote for the stimulus if it included a 15$ minimum wage increase meant the only possible option forward was to cut that from the bill.

You do more good by passing an ok stimulus bill than by getting voted down on one you think is slightly better. You don’t torpedo urgently needed aid to politically grandstand. If the left doesn’t like that then organize in 2022 and elect more Democrats who would support a 15$ minimum wage increase.

It’s also kind of sad that the notion of wanting a reasonable / viable opposition party is treated as traitorous by...a community supposedly devoted to political discourse. Shows how far Cong has fallen down the echo chamber rabbit hole tbh.

liberalism is defending the oligarchic structure and class solidarity amongst the elite lawmakers, as if you are in cahoots with these rich ass delegates with 50 corporations in their pockets writing their bills. i mean come on. if minimum wage kept pace since 1972 we would be at $23 minimum, and even that's too fucking low!

eyerolling at how we're still caught up in the semantics of "this bill" vs. "that bill" and "this congressman said no because ACTUALLY we're benefitting in the long game" or "incrementalism" or whatever. these institutions will not protect you! these conversations do not serve you! this shit isn't a 'rabbit hole', it is DIALECTICAL MATERIALISM. it is a concrete understanding of material wealth allocation and power. it is a concrete understanding of the empire and exploitation. it is the "radical" nature of grounding our conversations in humanity instead of buying into these institutional logics.

trillionaires sitting pretty on their yachts all day making you think it's the burger flipper who shouldn't be allowed to have a life so they can continue doing nothing, accruing wealth by virtue of family, race, luck, and treating their employees like shit! and uncle sam okay with this? fitting name.

Progress historically is quite literally sudden, immediate, and usually violent.
Oh, whoops, I guess some of the awkward wording in the middle of my post left some ground for it to be interpreted as sincerely wanting slow progress instead of snark at some of the centering rhetoric this last page.

Just to be clear because coming off as a neolib or more right from botched wording is bugging me: no, slow progress barely works and it’s never how anything important changes in history. I’m sick of waiting on slow progress and the hell of child jails, 1000 pound medical bills, and all manner of ways to profitability kill people it’s created.

looking forward to our future of slow progress. Can’t wait for house majority leader Dennis Prager to insist the 2032 Florida flooded cost relief bill only passes if an amendment to make criticism of the police illegal is tacked on.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/17/joe-biden-vladimir-putin-election-interference

It hasn't been more than 2 months since Biden took office and it's as if he couldn't do any worse. He says Putin is a "killer with no soul" and will "pay a price" for an alleged election meddling. The fact that some people think of him as the "peacemaker" we so desperately needed is simply laughable, but I guess foreign interventionism through sanctions and military actions to destabilize and cause suffering to these countries isn't even close to being a killer.

If every country in which the US government has been involved in numerous interventions made Biden pay for every single one of their interference, the guy would be left with a debt for which he would have to live, die and be reborn 100 times to pay it off, but he's the one to talk about an alleged Russian interference, okay.

how dare he call a literal kgb agent a killer
Yeah, let's go back to the cold war and call Russia's president a killer, let's point a finger on him and sanction him, because we think we've got enough moral to do so. This, of course, does not apply when we forget and forgive crimes made by Mohammed bin Salman (just so I can give you an example), because then who would buy our weapons to be used in foreign countries, and how would we dare to sanction an heir to the crown of one of the most democratic countries in the world! I'm pretty sure that's not being a killer either, not even enough to point a finger and impose sanctions on Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman himself as we do on Russia. This makes our international policies much more diplomatic and serious.

What will we do next? take Putin's words in wishing Biden good health as a threat just because he fell three times on his way up to Air Force One? jeez. I mean I thought it wouldn't be any bad than Trump's policies, but turns out it's exactly the same.

:blobthinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)