move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Assault Vest
ability: Regenerator
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is Amoonguss's preferred Grass-type STAB move, as it can be used to regain HP as well as being useful against some problematic Water-types, such as Ash-Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Keldeo. Sludge Bomb is used to hit Grass- and Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, and Tangrowth and has a chance to cripple possible switch-ins, such as Mega Latios and Landorus-T. Clear Smog can be used over Sludge Bomb, serving as a way to neutralize threats like Calm Mind Mega Latias and Clefable, but the power and utility of Sludge Bomb is better in most cases. Also, the chosen Poison-type STAB attack is the move that activates the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna. Stomping Tantrum allows Amoonguss to lure in and OHKO all Heatran and Magnezone sets after a failed move and Stealth Rock damage. It also chips at Magearna, even more so if used after the Poison-type move. Keep in mind that if you use Stomping Tantrum without activating its effect, it will be a very weak move. Hidden Power Fire makes Amoonguss into a good Kartana check, as well as giving it a way to hit Ferrothorn and prevent a favorable scenario for Mega Scizor to set up or stay against Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs combined with 96 Defense EVs let Amoongus always survive a +2 Kartana's Knock Off after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense along with Assault Vest to take hits from some powerful special attackers like Ash-Greninja, Choice Specs Tapu Koko, and Shift Gear Magearna. 120 Defense EVs can be used instead of the standard EV spread to have a good chance of surviving +2 Kartana's Smart Strike after Stealth Rock, but the drop of bulk on the special side can be missed. Regenerator is chosen to make Amoonguss a great pivot and sponge for special hits, regaining some HP every time it switches out. A Sassy nature is used to boost the Special Defense without losing any of the offensive stats, since both are important on this set. The drop in Speed doesn't make any difference, since Amoonguss will not outspeed anything relevant anyway.

Usage Tips
========

As this set is used to swallow some special moves, try to avoid Amoonguss taking powerful physical moves because it may miss the amount of HP lost while dealing with hits it would otherwise take, even factoring Regenerator. Also, although Amoonguss can check Ash-Greninja and lure in Heatran very well, it's recommended to scout for moves that may disrupt this set, such as Ice Beam on Ash-Greninja and Inferno Overdrive on Heatran. Preserving HP by switching out after checking the desired Pokemon is highly recommended. Leaving Amoonguss at low HP or counting only on Giga Drain for longevity can leave it unable to take special hits anymore. Regenerator is what makes this set a good pivot, so use it wisely. Amoonguss can also be used to remove Toxic Spikes from your side of the field, but keep in mind that a burn from Toxapex's Scald, for example, can be critical, putting Amoonguss in range of some attacks or, if your opponent has a Heatran, Magnezone, or Magearna, leaving it unable to deal with them properly because of the Attack reduction. When facing foes such as Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth, do not hesitate to click Sludge Bomb, even if predicting a Steel-type to come in; Stomping Tantrum is here to be used in these situations.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss fits best alongside Pokemon that are weak to strong Water-types as well as Tapu Koko, such as Tyranitar and Mega Scizor. Pokemon that are vulnerable to Toxic Spikes like Greninja, Zygarde, and all of the Island Guardians appreciate Amoonguss as a teammate because of its ability to absorb them. Due to the fact that Amoonguss invites in many powerful Flying-types, means of checking Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha, and Tornadus-T, such as Celesteela and Tapu Koko, make great partners for Amoonguss. Physically defensive pivots like Landorus-T and Mega Scizor are also good options as partners, since they can cover the physical attackers that this set is weaker to.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Super duper minor thing, but 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD Sassy still survives the Kartana hit while netting an extra point in SpD.

+2 252 Atk Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 320-377 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

AM Check - Probably ignore this unless QC says otherwise
OldAmberPlays i've updated the post, if you have the time please read over it. And i'm sorry if this post sounded condescending - just wanted to set the record straight to say i'm not here to critique you. Also keep updated, as I will update this post with my inputs of the analysis because I accidentally deleted my update rather than posting it

Moves

Giga Drain
Reorder the list of targets, as it implies that Keldeo is the primary target and that it is still a dominant threat in the tier.
Rather than saying "this set counts of Regenerator recovery" maybe rephrase it to say "Giga Drain grants Amoonguss additional recovery to complement Regenerator" or something similar.

Sludge Bomb
Instead of the phrase "hurting some mons that AV Amoonguss is used to check, such as [listed 'mons]" maybe say "Sludge Bomb is used to hit Tapu Bulu (etc.)" then mention the chances of Poisoning in the description and how it can cripple certain switch-ins, then give examples (such as Landorus or Sableye)

Stomping Tantrum
The description of this move is rather misleading - you mention that it can lure in Heatran and Magnezone and OHKO them, but you fail to mention that it requires the failed move boost to OHKO the listed 'mons. Mention (maybe in Usage Tips, but we'll let QC decide) that Heatran is able to deal significant damage to it, as well as mention that Inferno Overdrive can OHKO after any prior damage. Maybe include Magearna in this list, but mention that it fails to OHKO Magearna, unlike the former.

Hidden Power Fire

Maybe rephrase the description to "Hidden Power Fire allows Amoonguss to OHKO Kartana, while also hitting Scizor and Ferrothorn" imo the damage numbers are redundant as it might discourage players from clicking HP Fire on Ferrothorn.
Side note, I feel as mentioning the set is kind of redundant as well, but that could be just my preference.

Set Details
I wouldn't separate Ash Greninja with its base form, but do mention that neither can break Amoonguss without flinches.
Damage calc's aren't necessary in analysis' as they should be showcasing the 'mons bulk to begin with.

Usage Tips
You mention in the moves section that Hidden Power Fire and Sludge Bomb activate Stomping Tantrum - move that here, as they are usage tips.
Mention that burn effects Amoonguss' survivability, as it may put it in range of certain attacks. Probably isn't worth mentioning but let QC decide.

Apologies if you have an aneurysm over this QC

Last edited:
Not qc, just a few suggestions:

1.- I think you probably want to run 248 HP EV, it gives Amoonguss 431 HP, meaning you hit a SR number, the leftover goes to SpDef.
2.- In moves that should scout, I would consider add some lure things like Z-Brave Bird Koko, which OHKO Amoonguss. I say this because Z-Wild Charge can't break it without SR and high rolls

252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss in Electric Terrain: 120-141 (27.8 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss in Electric Terrain: 231-273 (53.5 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It needs Spikes/ Stealth Rock and the most high rolls to break through it, meanwhile

252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 448-528 (103.9 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But, Z - Brave Bird is niche as fuck, so, I would leave it to QC.

3.- I think you could add Team Options Excadrill and Sand in general, since it's rising in popularity latelly. Amoonguss is a great pivot against Ash-Greninja, Keldeo and most Grass and Water-types, while it can check M-Swampert and common rain abusers, its defensive capabilities are really aprecciated for Sand archetypes and staples in this playstyle like Excadrill and Tyranitar/Hippowdon. Also, Excadrill in Sand can check shit like Lele, and Fire types such as Volcarona and Zard X, which gives headaches to Amoonguss

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not qc, just a few suggestions:

1.- I think you probably want to run 248 HP EV, it gives Amoonguss 431 HP, meaning you hit a SR number, the leftover goes to SpDef.
2.- In moves that should scout, I would consider add some lure things like Z-Brave Bird Koko, which OHKO Amoonguss. I say this because Z-Wild Charge can't break it without SR and high rolls

252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss in Electric Terrain: 120-141 (27.8 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss in Electric Terrain: 231-273 (53.5 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It needs Spikes/ Stealth Rock and the most high rolls to break through it, meanwhile

252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 448-528 (103.9 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But, Z - Brave Bird is niche as fuck, so, I would leave it to QC.

3.- I think you could add Team Options Excadrill and Sand in general, since it's rising in popularity latelly. Amoonguss is a great pivot against Ash-Greninja, Keldeo and most Grass and Water-types, while it can check M-Swampert and common rain abusers, its defensive capabilities are really aprecciated for Sand archetypes and staples in this playstyle like Excadrill and Tyranitar/Hippowdon. Also, Excadrill in Sand can check shit like Lele, and Fire types such as Volcarona and Zard X, which gives headaches to Amoonguss
248 HP is inefficient because it drops 1 point below a number divisible by 3, which makes it the most inefficient value for Regenerator recovery, which is going to make a bigger difference than taking 1 more hit point from SR which is offset by one more max hitpoint anyway. Recovery-based HP-optimisations should always take precedent over loss-based ones outside of, like, 4x SR weaknesses because they add up faster and make a bigger difference in the long term.

Also Z-Brave Bird Koko isn't really relevant enough to warrant a specific mention imo; it's an extremely niche/usually inefficient lure that sees little-to-no use.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Mention sludge bombs chance to poison as an upside cause it cripples stuff like Mega Latios. Also make sure to specify which targets it boosts Tantrum vs (Heatran, Magearna). In the second bullet of details you start by listing special moves it takes but then switch to special attackers which makes it kinda confusing. In Usage Tips you mention Wild Charge Koko which is pretty rare so I'd just cut that and mention another mon. The third bullet needs some explanation imo cause you don't always wanna switch right out of smt you check, make sure to expand a bit on that. 1/3 after this is implemented, nice job

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
"Mons that appreciate Heatran, Magearna and Tapu Koko gone, like Mega Scizor, Ash-Greninja and Tapu Lele are good partners."

I think you may want to rephrase this as you overstate Amoonguss's ability to lure anything that is not named Heatran -- perhaps just remove the Magearna mention and then you should be fine here.

I'd also add complimentary pdef pivots to the team options section, too -- Landorus-T, Celesteela, and Mega Scizor can all be mentioned in this point.

write it up and 2/3

noticed some minor word choices that seemed off to me but if it's the only thing i'm pointing out then it means the quality is there

moves
- "Also, the Poison-STAB is the move that activate the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna, so it's not passable." maybe use droppable instead?

set details
- "but the drop of bulk on the special side can be missable." missed?

team options
- it does lure tran but i don't see how it would "remove" koko in any capacity; in general i really don't like the lure arguments and would rather emphasize what it checks (maybe remove everything in here up to "scarf magnezone" and add something else?).

rest looks good

qc 3/3

Hi, AMcheck here so implement what you like n_n
Edit: once you're ready for GP make sure you post it in here, and a video on how to implement grammar checks
Add (AC)=Add comma (AH)=Add hypen
Remove (RC)=Remove comma
Comments

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Stomping Tantrum

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is the preferred Grass-STAB as it can be used to regain additional HP complementing Regenerator, as well as while being useful against some problematic Water-types, such as Ash-Greninja, Mega Swampert,(AC) and Keldeo. For the second move,(RC) I wouldn't consider starting a sentience like that since moves go in order as the moves in the set. Sludge Bomb is used to hit Grass and Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko,(AC) and Tangrowth, while having a chance to cripple possible switch-ins, such as Mega Latios and Landorus-T. Also, the Poison-STAB is the move that activates the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna, so it's not droppable. Stomping Tantrum is the selling point of the set, allowing Amoonguss to lure in and OHKO all Heatran and Magnezone's sets after the failed move and Stealth Rock damage. It also chips Magearna, even more,(AC) if used after Sludge Bomb. Keep in mind that if you use Stomping Tantrum without activating its effect, it will be a very weak move. For the last move,(RC) Hidden Power Fire turns you makes Amoonguss into a good Kartana check, while as well as having a way to hit Ferrothorn and prevent a favorable scenario for Mega Scizor to setup or staying in front of Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

252 HP in conjuction combined with 96 Def lets Amoongus always survives a +2 Kartana's Knock Off after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put in SpD along with Assault Vest is to sponge take hits from some powerful Special attackers, like Ash-Greninja, Choice Specs Tapu Koko,(AC) and Shift Gear Magearna. 120 Def can be used instead of the standard spread to have a good chance of surviving +2 Kartana's Smart Strike after Stealth Rock, but the drop of bulk on the special side can be missed. Regenerator is chosen in this set to make Amoonguss a great pivot and a sponge for special hits, regaining some HP every time it switches out. For the nature, Sassy nature is used to boost the SpD stat without loosing any of the offensive stats, since both are important on this set. The drop on Speed doesn't make any difference Because?.

Usage Tips
========

As this set is used to sponge Why do you keep on saying sponge? Next time use a different word other then sponge so that the reader won't be confused. survive some special moves, try not to bring Amoonguss to take powerful physical moves, because it may miss the amount of HP lost while dealing with hits it is used to take, even facturating Regenerator. Also, although Amoonguss is able to can check Ash-Greninja and lure in Heatran very well, it's recommended to scout for moves that may disrupt this set, such as Ice Beam Ash-Greninja and Firium-Z Heatran. Preserve HP switching out after checking the Pokémon desired is highly recommended. Letting Amoonguss on low HP or counting only on Giga Drain can cause it to not swallow take special hits anymore. Regenerator is what makes this set a good pivot, so use it wisely. The Pokéemon can also be used to remove Toxic Spikes from your field, but keep in mind that a burn from Toxapex's Scald, for example, can be critical, putting you in range of some attacks or if your opponent still has a Heatran, Magnezone or Magearna. When facing opponents such as Tapu Bulu or Tangrowth, do not hesitate to click Sludge Bomb, predicting a Steel-type to come in. Stomping Tantrum is here to be used in these situations.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss fits best alongside pPokemon that are weak to strong water types as well as Tapu Koko. Pokemon that are vulnerable to Toxic Spikes like Greninja, Zygarde,(RC) and all of the Tapus appreciate Amoonguss as a teammate because of its ability to absorb them. Due to the fact that Because Amoonguss invites in many powerful fFlying-(AH)types, means of checking Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha,(AC) and Tornadus-T, such as Celesteela and Tapu Koko, make great partners for Amoonguss. Lastly,(RC) pPhysically defensive pivots are also good options as team partners, since they can cover the physical side that the AV set is weaker too. Landorus-Therian and Mega Scizor are good examples.

Last edited:
Hi, AMcheck here so implement what you like n_n
Edit: once you're ready for GP make sure you post it in here, and a video on how to implement grammar checks
Add (AC)=Add comma (AH)=Add hypen
Remove (RC)=Remove comma
Comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is the preferred Grass-STAB as it can be used to regain additional HP complementing Regenerator, as well as while being useful against some problematic Water-types, such as Ash-Greninja, Mega Swampert,(AC) and Keldeo. For the second move,(RC) I wouldn't consider starting a sentience like that since moves go in order as the moves in the set. Sludge Bomb is used to hit Grass and Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko,(AC) and Tangrowth, while having a chance to cripple possible switch-ins, such as Mega Latios and Landorus-T. Also, the Poison-STAB is the move that activates the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna, so it's not droppable. Stomping Tantrum is the selling point of the set, allowing Amoonguss to lure in and OHKO all Heatran and Magnezone's sets after the failed move and Stealth Rock damage. It also chips Magearna, even more,(AC) if used after Sludge Bomb. Keep in mind that if you use Stomping Tantrum without activating its effect, it will be a very weak move. For the last move,(RC) Hidden Power Fire turns you makes Amoonguss into a good Kartana check, while as well as having a way to hit Ferrothorn and prevent a favorable scenario for Mega Scizor to setup or staying in front of Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

252 HP in conjuction combined with 96 Def lets Amoongus always survives a +2 Kartana's Knock Off after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put in SpD along with Assault Vest is to sponge take hits from some powerful Special attackers, like Ash-Greninja, Choice Specs Tapu Koko,(AC) and Shift Gear Magearna. 120 Def can be used instead of the standard spread to have a good chance of surviving +2 Kartana's Smart Strike after Stealth Rock, but the drop of bulk on the special side can be missed. Regenerator is chosen in this set to make Amoonguss a great pivot and a sponge for special hits, regaining some HP every time it switches out. For the nature, Sassy nature is used to boost the SpD stat without loosing any of the offensive stats, since both are important on this set. The drop on Speed doesn't make any difference Because?.

Usage Tips
========

As this set is used to sponge Why do you keep on saying sponge? Next time use a different word other then sponge so that the reader won't be confused. survive some special moves, try not to bring Amoonguss to take powerful physical moves, because it may miss the amount of HP lost while dealing with hits it is used to take, even facturating Regenerator. Also, although Amoonguss is able to can check Ash-Greninja and lure in Heatran very well, it's recommended to scout for moves that may disrupt this set, such as Ice Beam Ash-Greninja and Firium-Z Heatran. Preserve HP switching out after checking the Pokémon desired is highly recommended. Letting Amoonguss on low HP or counting only on Giga Drain can cause it to not swallow take special hits anymore. Regenerator is what makes this set a good pivot, so use it wisely. The Pokéemon can also be used to remove Toxic Spikes from your field, but keep in mind that a burn from Toxapex's Scald, for example, can be critical, putting you in range of some attacks or if your opponent still has a Heatran, Magnezone or Magearna. When facing opponents such as Tapu Bulu or Tangrowth, do not hesitate to click Sludge Bomb, predicting a Steel-type to come in. Stomping Tantrum is here to be used in these situations.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss fits best alongside pPokemon that are weak to strong water types as well as Tapu Koko. Pokemon that are vulnerable to Toxic Spikes like Greninja, Zygarde,(RC) and all of the Tapus appreciate Amoonguss as a teammate because of its ability to absorb them. Due to the fact that Because Amoonguss invites in many powerful fFlying-(AH)types, means of checking Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha,(AC) and Tornadus-T, such as Celesteela and Tapu Koko, make great partners for Amoonguss. Lastly,(RC) pPhysically defensive pivots are also good options as team partners, since they can cover the physical side that the AV set is weaker too. Landorus-Therian and Mega Scizor are good examples.
I've implemented most of the corrections, thanks!

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is the preferred Grass-type STAB move,(AC) as it can be used to regain HP as well as being useful against some problematic Water-types, such as Ash-Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Keldeo. Sludge Bomb is used to hit Grass-(AH) and Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, and Tangrowth,(RC) while having and has a chance to cripple possible switch-ins, such as Mega Latios and Landorus-T. Also, the Poison-STAB Sludge Bomb is the move that activates the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna,(RC) so it's not droppable. Stomping Tantrum is the selling point of the set, allowing allows Amoonguss to lure in and OHKO all Heatran and Magnezone's Magnezone sets after the a failed move and Stealth Rock damage. It also chips at Magearna, even more,(RC) so if used after Sludge Bomb. Keep in mind that if you use Stomping Tantrum without activating its effect, it will be a very weak move. Hidden Power Fire makes Amoonguss into a good Kartana check, as well as having giving it a way to hit Ferrothorn and prevent a favorable scenario for Mega Scizor to setup set up or staying stay in front of against Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs combined with 96 Defense EVs let lets Amoongus always survives a +2 Kartana's Knock Off after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense along with Assault Vest to take hits from some powerful special attackers,(RC) like Ash-Greninja, Choice Specs Tapu Koko, and Shift Gear Magearna. 120 Defense EVs can be used instead of the standard EV spread to have a good chance of surviving +2 Kartana's Smart Strike after Stealth Rock, but the drop of bulk on the special side can be missed. Regenerator is chosen in this set to make Amoonguss a great pivot and a sponge for special hits, regaining some HP every time it switches out. A Sassy nature is used to boost the SpD stat Special Defense without loosing losing any of the offensive stats, since both are important on this set. The drop in Speed doesn't make any difference, since Amoonguss will not outspeed anything relevant anyway.

Usage Tips
========

As this set is used to swallow some special moves, try not to bring avoid Amoonguss to take taking powerful physical moves,(RC) because it may miss the amount of HP lost while dealing with hits it is used to would otherwise take, even facturating factoring Regenerator. Also, although Amoonguss can check Ash-Greninja and lure in Heatran very well, it's recommended to scout for moves that may disrupt this set, such as Ice Beam on Ash-Greninja and Inferno Overdrive Firium-(RH)Z Heatran. Preserve Preserving HP by switching out after checking the desired Pokemon desired is highly recommended. Letting on Leaving Amoonguss at low HP or counting only on Giga Drain for longevity can cause it to not take special hits anymore. Regenerator is what makes this set a good pivot, so use it wisely. The Pokémon Amoonguss can also be used to remove Toxic Spikes from your side of the field, but keep in mind that a burn from Toxapex's Scald, for example, can be critical, putting you Amoonguss in range of some attacks or if your opponent still has a Heatran, Magnezone or Magearna (honestly I have no clue what this is saying or why this part is here. If there's a purpose (which there probably is), then it needs to be reworded to make sense). When facing opponents foes such as Tapu Bulu or and Tangrowth, do not hesitate to click Sludge Bomb, even if predicting a Steel-type to come in.(period);(SC) Stomping Tantrum is here to be used in these situations.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss fits best alongside Pokemon that are weak to strong Water-types as well as Tapu Koko (such as...?). Pokemon that are vulnerable to Toxic Spikes like Greninja, Zygarde,(AC) and all of the Tapus Island Guardians appreciate Amoonguss as a teammate because of its ability to absorb them. Due to the fact that Amoonguss invites in many powerful Flying-types, means of checking Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha, and Tornadus-T, such as Celesteela and Tapu Koko, make great partners for Amoonguss. Physically defensive pivots like Landorus-T and Mega Scizor are also good options as team partners, since they can cover the physical side that the AV attackers that this set is weaker too. Landorus-Therian and Mega Scizor are good examples.
GP 1/2

Fireflame479 I've added all your corrections, thank you so much!
Can I ask you a favor? I have added a single sentence in "Moves" about Clear Smog and have explained one part that you didn't understood about burn consequences in "Usage Tips". Can you check that parts again please? I have talked with Finchinator and he said to tag you and ask this. Sorry for any incovenience

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remember to slash Clear Smog with Sludge Bomb on the set if it is supposed to be slashed.
Sludge Bomb is used to hit Grass- and Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, and Tangrowth and has a chance to cripple possible switch-ins, such as Mega Latios and Landorus-T. Clear Smog can be used over it Sludge Bomb, serving as a way to neutralize threats like Calm Mind Mega Latias and Clefable, but the power and utility of Sludge Bomb is better on in most cases. Also, the Poison-STAB chosen Poison-type STAB move is the move that activates the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna,(RC) so it's not droppable.
I did a bit of tweaking with the wording because of the Clear Smog sentence. I noticed you didn't implement the deletion of "so it's not droppable", and I would suggest deleting it, even more so with the added Clear Smog line. The reason that part isn't needed is because it's unnecessary, given that a Poison STAB move isn't droppable if it's on the set and not slashed with another move type.

Amoonguss can also be used to remove Toxic Spikes from your side of the field, but keep in mind that a burn from Toxapex's Scald, for example, can be critical, putting Amoonguss in range of some attacks or,(AC) if your opponent still has a Heatran, Magnezone,(AC) or Magearna, leaving it unable to deal with them properly with Stomping Tantrum because of the Attack reduction.
Great job in explaining this!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain is the Amoonguss's preferred Grass-type STAB move, as it can be used to regain HP as well as being useful against some problematic Water-types, such as Ash-Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Keldeo. Sludge Bomb is used to hit Grass- and Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, and Tangrowth and has a chance to cripple possible switch-ins, such as Mega Latios and Landorus-T. Clear Smog can be used over Sludge Bomb, serving as a way to neutralize threats like Calm Mind Mega Latias and Clefable, but the power and utility of Sludge Bomb is better in most cases. Also, the chosen Poison-type STAB attack is the move that activates the effect of Stomping Tantrum against Steel-types such as Heatran and Magearna. Stomping Tantrum allows Amoonguss to lure in and OHKO all Heatran and Magnezone sets after a failed move and Stealth Rock damage. It also chips at Magearna, even more so if used after the Poison-type move. Keep in mind that if you use Stomping Tantrum without activating its effect, it will be a very weak move. Hidden Power Fire makes Amoonguss into a good Kartana check, as well as giving it a way to hit Ferrothorn and prevent a favorable scenario for Mega Scizor to set up or stay against Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs combined with 96 Defense EVs let Amoongus always survives survive a +2 Kartana's Knock Off after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put in Special Defense along with Assault Vest to take hits from some powerful special attackers like Ash-Greninja, Choice Specs Tapu Koko, and Shift Gear Magearna. 120 Defense EVs can be used instead of the standard EV spread to have a good chance of surviving +2 Kartana's Smart Strike after Stealth Rock, but the drop of bulk on the special side can be missed. Regenerator is chosen to make Amoonguss a great pivot and sponge for special hits, regaining some HP every time it switches out. A Sassy nature is used to boost the Special Defense without losing any of the offensive stats, since both are important on this set. The drop in Speed doesn't make any difference, since Amoonguss will not outspeed anything relevant anyway.

Usage Tips
========

As this set is used to swallow some special moves, try to avoid Amoonguss taking powerful physical moves because it may miss the amount of HP lost while dealing with hits it would otherwise take, even factoring Regenerator. Also, although Amoonguss can check Ash-Greninja and lure in Heatran very well, it's recommended to scout for moves that may disrupt this set, such as Ice Beam on Ash-Greninja and Inferno Overdrive Firium Z on Heatran. Preserving HP by switching out after checking the desired Pokemon is highly recommended. Leaving Amoonguss at low HP or counting only on Giga Drain for longevity can cause it to not leave it unable to take special hits anymore. Regenerator is what makes this set a good pivot, so use it wisely. Amoonguss can also be used to remove Toxic Spikes from your side of the field, but keep in mind that a burn from Toxapex's Scald, for example, can be critical, putting Amoonguss in range of some attacks or, if your opponent has a Heatran, Magnezone, or Magearna, leaving it unable to deal with them properly with Stomping Tantrum because of the Attack reduction. When facing foes such as Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth, do not hesitate to click Sludge Bomb, even if predicting a Steel-type to come in; Stomping Tantrum is here to be used in these situations.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss fits best alongside Pokemon that are weak to strong Water-types as well as Tapu Koko, such as Tyranitar and Mega Scizor. Pokemon that are vulnerable to Toxic Spikes like Greninja, Zygarde, and all of the Island Guardians appreciate Amoonguss as a teammate because of its ability to absorb them. Due to the fact that Amoonguss invites in many powerful Flying-types, means of checking Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha, and Tornadus-T, such as Celesteela and Tapu Koko, make great partners for Amoonguss. Physically defensive pivots like Landorus-T and Mega Scizor are also good options as partners, since they can cover the physical attackers that this set is weaker to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)