SM OU An attempt at Pheromosa+Tapu Lele

Hello all, I just started playing OU just a few days ago. Normally I contain myself to the ubers meta but with SuMo here I thought it was time I expand my horizons a bit. This is my first real attempt at the tier so apologies if it seems a bit scrubbish. Anyway enough about that, here's the team:

Pheromosa @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Ice Beam

This is one of the two mons I'm trying to build around. Originally I was aiming for attack beast boosts but since she usually comes in just to U-Turn out or to sweep late game I thought that speed boosts would be better for her. Anyway her set is pretty straight forward, HJK as obligatory fighting STAB move. Poison jab hits fairies hard, and hopefully poisons them if it doesn't straight up kill. Ice Beam is there for all those 4X ground+dragon/flying types running all over the place. I picked Expert Belt over Life Orb since she's already frail enough as it is. I also try to send her out after Tapu Lele, so that way she doesn't have to worry about priority users.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

This mon is fantastic and is so much fun to use. Psychic terrain is a powerful ability for any team. It protects Lele and her allies from being picked off by priority, and helps boosts the power of Megagross' Zen Headmiss. I went with the scarf set since Tapu Lele already packed so much power, and with the scarf patching up her middling speed she can act as a late game cleaner if Pheromosa or Megagross are unable to do so themselves. Psychic is there to just murder everything obviously, and Mooblast is that sweet secondary STAB that scares Dragons and Dark types alike. Hidden Power Fire is there to pick off 4X weak steels that think they can come in and try to wall her. I'm using Shadow Ball over Focus Blast since I do have a bit of a Megagross problem with my team.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Ohoo boy this guy got so much better in gen 7. With the new Mega Changes he's able to mega evolve and go ham on the opposing team immediately, and he synergizes well with Lele. Her terrain allows his Zen Headmiss to achieve even higher levels of power, all while protecting him from the likes of Sucker Punch and other priority. Meteor Mash is a sweet move, giving me the occasional attack boost. Ice Punch just hits so much in this tier it's not even funny and is overall a great coverage move. Earthquake rounds it out, allowing Megagross to kill off other steels easily and can be used as an alternative to Zen Headbutt when fighting Toxapex. I find that Megagross can act as backup sweeper or a wallbreaker. It's not as fast as Lele or Pheromosa but it's able to do more damage and is still pretty damn speedy in it's own right, it's also able to take a hit. A very versatile mon this is.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Stealth Rock and ground coverage is very important, so of course I would have Garchomp here. This is the Tankchop set, allowing it to set up in front of non ice physical attckers and punishing them for any contact moves that they make. Dragon tail can stop non fairy sweepers and phase them out and combined with SR damage this could get annoying fast. Earthquake is the obligatory ground STAB move and has good coverage overall. Fire Blast rounds out the coverage, hitting the likes of Ferrothorn and Scizor decently hard. Overall a very straight forward yet effective mon.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Scald
- Defog

Yeah this guy may seem like a goofy choice at first but he's actually pretty decent. He can wall non electric special attacks for days, and having 252 speed usually means he's getting moves done fairly quickly. Of course he doesn't like physical attacks but that's what Garchomp is for. He also serves as a decent status spreader, being able to Toxic any incoming mon is a plus. Of course Scald is his only attacking move but water has okay coverage and it can spread burns like that. Defog is there to get rid of entry hazards if they ever begin to accumulate, and Roost further increases it's longevity and temporarily reduces it's electric weakness.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 16 HP / 120 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Why stop with one Tapu? Why not have two? That way I can have complete control over the terrains, making opposing Tapus lives that much harder. Not only that water types and ice neutral flying types gave me trouble so Koko was only a natural pick. I shamelessly stole this EV spread from another forum and I must say it does get the job done. Thunderbolt is self explanitory obviously, and Brave Bird is there to hit opponents that are weak to flying and resist electricity. I choose U-Turn over Volt Switch since I didn't want this guy getting trapped by Dugtrio and it allows him to damage ground type pokemon while safely switching out. Roost is simply a filler move, one that I don't pick too often, so I might switch it out with Grass Knot.

And here it is. This team is obviously not the best but I've been having fun with it. A big problem is opposing Metagross, none of my pokemon can really deal with it comfortable unless Mantine gets a lucky Scald. For my first OU team though I'm pretty happy with it and I'm looking for ways to further improve it.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey man, is really a solid attempt. In terms of synergy i think you cover all types pretty good, a bit weak to ground types for my taste specially when all those carry a rock type move as coverage. I think your team struggles a lot with bulky teams and seems like Zard X after a DD is a huge threat, because can sweep you entire team. I wanna help you with some better evs spreads and probably some movesets as well.
  • I think Scarf pheromosa with a Naughty nature is better for your team, so you guarantee revenge everything in the meta right now.
  • As now you run a fast revenge killer, you need a breaker, Specs > Scarf on Lele seem the best way with Psychic, Psyshock (for Chansey), HP Fire and last move could be Focus Blast/Shadow Ball or Tbolt for Celesteela.
  • Also you could try Hammer Arm/BP > EQ on Metagross just to hit ferrothorn as seem very annoying if you cannot lure it with Lele or Chomp, BP is to revenge weaker stuff like opposing pheromosa or weavile.
  • Koko doesnt need that much attack really just use max spa, max speed and rest into atk. Most of the time you're clicking Tbolt unless you see a ground type you click uturn, while BB lure grass types, and 2hko most of them without investment.
  • Ill leave a better spread for Mantine down below.
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Toxic / Haze
- Defog
Hope i help you, gl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)