Monotype An Ice Team

A new generation, a new opportunity to play with my favorite type.

I'm kind of in a weird spot though. I've been teetering on low-mid 1400's, and I'm certain I could be doing better. Last generation, I had this dread feeling that I was kind of like an Ork Mekboy from Warhammer 40K: I can work with something, but I can't really explain how it works. Maybe that will change with this, so here we go.

standing.png

froslass.png

Nora (Froslass) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond​

Alright, let's get the weird stuff out of the way early. G-Corsola was the first thing I thought of when I wanted to make a team, and I absolutely needed SOMETHING to properly deal with it. Reflecting back on the shenanigans I pulled in the previous generation, this would be it. Switcheroo passing a scarf cripples any walls that want to take advantage of her seemingly weak attack stat as they try to lay out hazards, while Cursed Body sometimes comes in clutch to disable the choice-locked attack. Spikes are there because I wanted a piece of hazards of my own. Shadow Ball serves as the unique attacking option, which comes with the curious perk of taking out +2 Polteageist if the scarf isn't tricked away (Froslass hits 525 vs the teapot's 524). Destiny Bond serves as a combo-breaker of sorts, on top of being usually unforeseen on a scarf set. It's unorthodox, yes, but I have success stories to tell of it

frosmoth.png

Lamp Sauce (Frosmoth) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain​

This one's a bit more straightforward. On the surface, Ice Scales partially covers the specially defensive side of things, boosted to greater heights with Quiver Dance. Ice Beam & Bug Buzz make for the standard coverage, though the last move wasn't added on a whim. Of all the coverage options available, Giga Drain seemed to be the best over Dazzling Gleam, Air Slash, and Hurricane. And while it lost Hidden Power to deal with steel, I put the newfound Heavy-Duty Boots to good use on her, making sure she doesn't get faltered by any deadly hazards

avalugg.png

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Body Press​

While Frosmoth covers the special defense side, Avalugg covers the physically defensive side, while also serving the hazard removal role with Rapid Spin. Weird how it can't really go toe-to-toe for as long with Gyro Ball Ferrothorn thanks to how it increases speed after every spin, but it's fine. Body Press working off of its titanic defense helps end the fight earlier, since Roar's no longer a TM/TR. Recover's his only way to recover health. As far as usage goes, he's been one of my other more frequently Dynamaxed 'mon so I can stave off the physical hitters like Gyarados. You can bet your bottom dollar that once Home gets released that I'm switching to Sturdy

darmanitan.png

King Conga (Darmanitan-Galar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn​

Is Zen Mode still viable (or even allowed) in this side tier? Either way, while having a (second) scarf-bearer to outspeed a lot of things AND hit hard has proven to be very helpful. Icicle Crash for STAB, Flare Blitz & Earthquake for wide coverage, and U-turn for scouting purposes. Probably the most straightforward so I'm hoping this thing doesn't HAVE to meet the absolute "3+ line description" rule

lapras.png
lapras-big.png

Charon (Lapras-Gmax) (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Psychic​

Drink your fair share of water, kids. Another curveball, who's proven to be near-mandatory with the presence of Dracovish. The EV spread was pulled from a 7th gen analysis, so it's not something set in stone. Chople Berry is also probably not something set in stone, but its high HP combined with the fact that I don't have much besides maybe Avalugg to ward off many of the fighting-type moves (who gets krumped by Focus Blast anyway). Surf & Ice Beam are reliable STAB moves, Freeze-Dry gives me an upper hand against any water-types. Psychic is the coverage option to hit fighting-types back after chewing the Chople, having the other option of krumping poison-types. I see Thunderbolt on other Lapras sets, but with Freeze-Dry present, the only thing I can think that it would hit better is Corviknight. The Gigantamax variant turns the ice moves into Aurora Veil. He doesn't hold Light Clay because of how I usually expect him to not be THE thing to turn Dynamax. I want an item that I can actually use, after all

cloyster.png

Dakka (Cloyster) @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Liquidation​

The other more straightforward one, and rightly so, since this was usually how it was since 5th gen. Shell Smash helps for the setup, Icicle Spear & Rock Blast make very good use of Skill Link, and Liquidation rounds off the coverage. Even though Avalugg doesn't have Sturdy yet, I found that my opponents just enjoy trying to put hazards on my side too often to warrant Focus Sash over White Herb. As long as G-Corsola is going to be mentioned here, if someone can give me a good reason to switch Liquidation with something like Surf or Hydro Pump, I'm all ears

Dakka (Cloyster) @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Liquidation

Charon (Lapras-Gmax) (M) @ Chople Berry
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

King Conga (Darmanitan-Galar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Body Press

Lamp Sauce (Frosmoth) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Nora (Froslass) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, pretty solid team but I got a few suggestions:

Froslass works better as a suicide lead with Taunt instead of Choice Scarf + Switcheroo so you can prevent the opponent from getting up hazards, as Ice-type teams don't like rocks.

I'm not a fan of Chopple Berry on Lapras. In my opinion you'd get more use out of Light Clay for your Aurora Veil to last longer, or even Choice Specs for better wallbreaking. Also Thunderbolt over Psychic to hit Corviknight.

Ice is more geared towards hyper offense this generation so I would suggest using Mr. Rime as a Rapid Spin user instead of Avalugg since it's faster, more offensive and gives you a Psychic-type which compensates for replacing Psychic on Lapras.

Nora (Froslass) (F) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Charon (Lapras-Gmax) (M) @ Light Clay / Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Mr. Rime @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Screen Cleaner
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin

Keep in mind Screen Cleaner on Mr. Rime gets rid of your Aurora Veil as well so you have to play careful with that. It comes in handy against opposing Screen teams but if you don't want to mess around with that you can just run Ice Body.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)