Anime and Manga: Beware of Spoilers!

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We need some more manhwa love itc

Tower of God
God of High School
Magician
Breaker
King of Hell
Unbalance x Unbalance

the first three are webcomics: ie not serialized you don't have to feel guilty for reading the scans etc. but THEY ARE IN COLOR. It was unsettling at first, but I really like it

The latter three are normal black and while weekly / finished series that I really enjoyed.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Not gonna lie, Lost+Brain was a pretty good read. I'm glad that it actually ended good. Though I think that Lost+Brain pretty much copies Deathnote to a tee with the exception of the manipulatory device being hypnotism and there being a lot fewer deaths than in Deathnote.

Aku no Hana was pretty awesome but at the same time insane as fuck. Not gonna lie I sat with my mouth hanging open for much of the time reading it...WHY IS IT NOT FINISHED YET! x.x (I want to finish the second arc so bad q.q)

I also caught up on Denpa Kyoushi. I think that this one I may drop because it has been extremely formulaic in making the MC a little too op. Not too mention whenever they add new characters into the fray it seems like there's nothing stopping the MC from making them like him...He's just too perfect lol (but not in the badass way as the MC in Mondaiji)

I caught up with Attack on Titan and Akame ga Kiru as well. I'll hold off on my comments for Akame ga Kiru since there's a thread but Attack on Titan has been surpassing my expectations thus far. The only grip I have about it is that now I won't have as good a reason to stick to the anime because I already know what's going to happen next lol.

I am currently working my way through Karneval and have my sights on World Embryo next.

Also I tried reading Tower of God on my phone, but since it is a webcomic, apparently the app I was using couldn't zoom in far enough to make the words legible. I'll probably end up reading it on my computer or via the phone's browser.

God of High School is pretty cool, there's a lot of characters that are just kind of introduced and then ignored but I like how pretty much all of it is fight scenes. The updates feel like they're getting shorter though :S

Also I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but Shokugeki no Soma is a manga I've been reading for the past couple months or so. If you can get past the occasional ecchi, its a really awesome cooking manga.

I read through all of onepunch man last night and it was better/funnier than I expected. Definitely worth a read considering it didn't take long at all to catch up to the current chapter

Alice

The worst taste in music
So I suppose i'm the only one who found Aku no hana manga boring...?

really, i've just read the first volume and i can't stand the main char anymore >_>

To each their own. I never expect anything I thoroughly enjoy to appeal to every single person, regardless of how strongly I feel towards it, and vice-versa.

I understand you though...the main character is...something else lol.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
We need some more manhwa love itc

Tower of God
God of High School
Magician
Breaker
King of Hell
Unbalance x Unbalance

the first three are webcomics: ie not serialized you don't have to feel guilty for reading the scans etc. but THEY ARE IN COLOR. It was unsettling at first, but I really like it

The latter three are normal black and while weekly / finished series that I really enjoyed.
How can you forget Noblesse and Witch Hunter?! T_T

Although yes I've read all these and I enjoy Tower of God (I'm not liking the current arc that much compared to previous ones though) and God of High School.

I also find Transfer Student Storm Bringer hilarious. (It's setting is comparable to Beelzebub minus the demons and the Oga's strength)

Does anyone here follow any Light Novels? For some reason they are kinda overshadowed by Mangas and Animes, probably attributed to laziness and lack of translations (although there are still a decent amount out there). Many animes/mangas originated from light novels and the original content is always far superior. So many details end up getting dropped from the novels, especially in romcoms (which gets an undeserved bad rep) where the anime usually portray it as a plotless ecchi fest. The best website out there for those that are interested in the novels:

Other minor light novel hosting sites and individual translator blogs:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
One light novel I know is Onani Master Kurosawa. Really good series; the main character's development at the course of the story is its main selling point. I think it has 4 volumes, with a sort of after story chapters. There are downloadable versions lying around the net, but I first read it in manga form. General synopsis here or here.

I'm reading Mahouka koukou no rettousei, which I am really enjoying so far. I want to read the Monogatari series but the translated chapters are so broken apart...Some others I may be interested in are Date A Live, Haganai, and Oreimo (lolromcomharemswhore)

The stories of light novels are primarily told through text which makes them a lot more work to translate for much less gain than anime or manga (combined with the fact that Japanese is very difficult to translate into English smoothly). Their quality on the whole doesn't seem the greatest either, though I've only actually read SAO (bad) and Fate/Zero (good). Might read Ben-to or Mondaiji eventually.

I'm reading Mahouka koukou no rettousei, which I am really enjoying so far. I want to read the Monogatari series but the translated chapters are so broken apart...Some others I may be interested in are Date A Live, Haganai, and Oreimo (lolromcomharemswhore)
I love romcomharemsupernatural! I know it's odd for me but I'm more in it for the cute interactions.

Mahouka appears to be the light novel that's catching fire. It rose to popularity so swiftly without an Anime. I'm actually not a fan of this series, too many info dumps and I'm not liking the Miyuki/Tatsuya relationship despite how cute Miyuki is. I read romcoms/harem/supernatural for the most part and rarely stray from this genre. Mahouka's story line just seems to be too serious for me and I tend to get bored of it when romantic interactions are few and far inbetween. For those that do want to check out a quality LN with good translations (the translator is really good), Mahouka is a notable one to consider. It's just not my thing but it can't be that bad with so many followers.

Date A Live has an amazing LN series but the translator on BakaTsuki is a bit spotty (Vol 4 was decently done since it was by a different translator). Can't comment much on Haganai since I don't know the translator nor follow the series. For Oreimo I'd follow Nanodesuyo translations for as much as you can since the translators there are very experienced. Although the translations for Oreimo done by JS06 are just as good on Bakatsuki, I don't think he translated that much for Oreimo. Not a fan of Monogatari but I do know the project was pretty much dropped. Note, I don't follow any of these series in their novel form. My comments are from my translation checks of DAL and from what I've heard on the translator irc.

If you like romcomharems as much as I do, I recommend Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance and Campione. I read the new releases of both series in Chinese and for me to go through the headache of reading Chinese means it has to be good lol (for a romcom at least). I love both of them but they start off a bit slow so it might take a new reader some time to really get into it. I think I didn't like Blade Dance until the end of volume 4 and it took until volume 5 for me to consider Campione my favorite novel. I love Campione so much that I translated a volume (even though I probably shouldn't have but oh well). It's only natural I promote the series I get involved in : )

The stories of light novels are primarily told through text which makes them a lot more work to translate for much less gain than anime or manga (combined with the fact that Japanese is very difficult to translate into English smoothly). Their quality on the whole doesn't seem the greatest either, though I've only actually read SAO (bad) and Fate/Zero (good). Might read Ben-to or Mondaiji eventually.
I agree, some of the translations are a rough read but taking on an LN translation is hard as hell. I prematurely jumped into translating when I was just a first year learner and i received a good amount of help just to churn out something readable. Most people including me focus on accuracy and less on flow. Some translators are much better in Japanese/Chinese/Korean than English, others like me are the other way around and both hinder translating to "perfection". Even if I know something doesn't sound exactly right in English, I'm afraid of deviating from the original text. Plus I, along with many others, work from Chinese and the Chinese translation are sometimes ridden with errors. Only a select few can make a smooth translation however I don't think this should deter any readers who seek out light novels. Most translations are still readable and SAO is actually considered above average on Bakatsuki. The later volumes of SAO are much better in translation quality while vol 1 of that series is arguably the lowest in quality (not saying it is bad though, about average or a bit better than the usual translations on Bakatsuki). Mondaiji just got picked up by Bakatsuki, unfortunately I hate the new translator that is taking over on Vol 1 since he doesn't care for his own errors. However, I've heard great things about the novel. http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Mondaiji-tachi_ga_isekai_kara_kuru_soudesu_yo

Well, how can I say no to your enthusiasm for Campione? I'll definitely give it a shot! Is the anime of that any good btw? I remember vaguely watching the first episode...like it is so vague it almost feels like it was just a dream.

For Mahouka, I first got into it from reading the manga. There was something that appealed very strongly to me for some reason, and I had a strong urge to read more! I know what you mean about the info-dumps though. I usually have to read through the magic lingo a few times before I only vaguely understand what they are talking about, though I found it to be a nice touch.

Well, how can I say no to your enthusiasm for Campione? I'll definitely give it a shot! Is the anime of that any good btw? I remember vaguely watching the first episode...like it is so vague it almost feels like it was just a dream.

For Mahouka, I first got into it from reading the manga. There was something that appealed very strongly to me for some reason, and I had a strong urge to read more! I know what you mean about the info-dumps though. I usually have to read through the magic lingo a few times before I only vaguely understand what they are talking about, though I found it to be a nice touch.
The Anime was utter crap, it barely followed the novels. In fact it had an original ending lol. My guess is the Anime actually deterred people from reading the LN, it really was that bad. I usually recommend people to just watch the first episode of Campione to get a background of where the MC gets his powers. The novels go in the following order, 3,11,1,2,4,5,6,7,9,10,12,13 with 8 being a side story volume. 3+11 serves as prequels before the series starts on Volume 1, by watching the first episode you can sort of skip 3+11 if you really wanted to. Volume 3 is pretty much episode 1, volume 11 is a continuation of volume 3 and expands on why he is with Erica Blandelli (if you jump to volume 1 you won't really know the extent of their relationship). I pretty much skipped volume 3 since it was very boring but volume 11 was pretty interesting (I FINALLY figured out what that "hot night" in Sicily was in volume 11). Basically I'd say, watch episode 1, read volume 11, then start from 1 and follow the order I previously describe.

Well...I'm impressed. I noticed that the LN is basically done being translated so I'll give it a go before the anime (don't want to get a bad impression of it as you said :D). Thanks a lot for the information! Times like these where I wish I knew the language so I can read straight from the actual LN....

Acklow

Been reading the manga for Umineko. Man it's insanely good lol. Like the amount of mindfucks in it are just wayyy too many. It's also a heavy read, as each chapter is roughly 40-60 pages each and there are 20-24 chapters per episode and there are eight episodes atm.......

Yeah. However the one reason I have enjoyed it thus far is the Agatha Christie basis it has yet it twists things further with witches and the main character being a badass at using logic to disprove the existences of witches. Currently on chapter 4. First three were good, even though certain parts feel repetitive, you just gotta take into account that it was based on a VN, so every episode is like a separate play through of the game. I don't feel like it has gotten old yet, and the characters all have an immense amount of depth and development. I recommend this manga to anyone who hasnt played the game(s) and want to dive into some serious horror/mystery/suspense/supernatural waters. Definitely one of my top rated manga bar TWoGK and Deadman Wonderland.

Edit: DAMN! Just got all caught up on the manga for Umineko and let me just say: I haven't had these goosebumps since I played VLR. Legit this manga is insanely good. I ended up reading up on Wikipedia and the Wikia since I had no patience to see what happens next and WTF I feel like this is legit one of the best concepts I have come across since the Zero Escape series. Soooooo glad I put time into this one. The manga doesn't disappoint because it has so much content in it I'm afraid they didn't change a single line when transposing it from VN to manga.

Last edited:

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
memories of negima make me instantly dislike uq holder even though its not godawful yet. but it will become godawful because its made by this guy and he ruins every manga like 60 chapters in lol

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Also I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but Shokugeki no Soma is a manga I've been reading for the past couple months or so. If you can get past the occasional ecchi, its a really awesome cooking manga.
Dude, this is so good! I've been looking for a decent cooking anime/manga for ages! This could make a superb anime adaptation (something in the lines of Yakitate! Japan, even the storyline is very similar)

Yo.

Okay. Enough with the broad intro. I wanna ask you guys if there is any decent anime that kinda suits towards my style a bit. I watch a plethora of things from new to old but I haven't seen anything new come out lately that's been good. All I've heard is everyone gawking about Attack on Titan. I'm more of a feels person, watch a lot of cute ones like K-On! and some adventure/action ones like Cowboy Bebop, Spice and Wolf, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, etc. Is there any newer ones now that fit towards my style? Thanks.

Acklow

Kill la Kill. Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi. Psycho Pass. Steins;Gate. Toradora. Hyouka. Suisei no Gargantia. Welcome to the NHK. Coppelion. Sword Art Online. To Aru Majutsu No Index (A Certain Magical Index). Zetsuen no Tempest. Full Metal Panic! (All 3 seasons). Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Kyoukai no Kanata.

Attack on Titan is overrated and is updated at a snail's pace. It's an okay read and if you have the patience, a great show to watch. However I absolutely hate the idea of having to wait a year for the story to progress any further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)