is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Any One Piece fans/experts here?
Plenty
I just started watching it yesterday
Awesome!
there’s obviously... a lot of content to take in
Yeah there's quite a bit
Are the movies/OVAs necessary?
Not really, especially since some of them just kinda rehash a few arcs, but some of them are worth watching just for fun
Or am I good to just watch the first 130 episodes on Netflix?
"Stack 'em high and let 'em fly" - Eiichiro Oda, probably

Diophantine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Any One Piece fans/experts here? I just started watching it yesterday and there’s obviously... a lot of content to take in. Are the movies/OVAs necessary? Or am I good to just watch the first 130 episodes on Netflix?
I would say read the manga before anything else because it's quicker to read than it is to watch, and you still get all the same story stuff. You can go back and watch your favourite scenes and non-canon stuff whenever you want. I'd say this to anyone starting a long series.

IF YOU PLAN ON DIVING INTO THE WORLD OF THE PROMISED NEVERLAND, DO WATCH S1 ANIMATED AND THEN SWITCH OVER TO THE MANGA.
I took your advice and was not disappointed.

The Promised Neverland was a great series. I give it 8/10 overall, and Emma might be one of my favourite anime/manga main characters.
I wish Norman was more of a villain, as that would really test Emma, Ray, and all the rest of the kids. I felt the series was gearing up to that, but his turnaround only happened after he succeeded in his plan with no backlash. In fact, his plan succeeding helped Emma's plan go much more smoothly. I also felt that Isabella's death was very forced and could have been executed better if it were in the final battle against Ratri. Speaking of which, I thought that the final showdown was kind of underwhelming, although I am not disappointed in it at all. It was not bad, but I expected a lot more from a series that had an opening arc as amazing and deep as it did.

Posho

*blush*
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past Smogon Snake Draft Champion
no offense but I really don't understand this whole thing about "TPN season 2 had a horrible ending" when the manga ending itself was really bad.

Also I'm not sure if this was just an anime problem since I kinda skimmed the manga but I feel like the whole story arc was kinda approached the wrong way. The whole time it felt like it was trying to up the stakes but in reality there were no consequences whatsoever for all the kids. Nobody died or really came close to dying except for a few of the main 3, but it was always kinda obvious that they wouldn't actually die, so it wasn't really a well written thriller anyway. I really would have loved to see more tactics and strategy but there wasn't really much of that with any stakes.
I think it's a question of quality. Like, I understand the manga didn't end in the most satisfying fashion, but you just need mere common sense, because you'll get the most value and payoff from the story from its original source and not the dumpster fire that was the anime. Ergo, The Promised Talk No Jutsu > The Promised Slideshow if you want to make justice to the masterpiece that is S1.

86 is such an unbelievably dogshit show and seeing it be one of the most popular anime airing this season is insane. Every line of dialogue feels like an attempt to do naturalistic exposition but since it happens so often and the characters constantly talk as if they are explaining something to a third party I can almost see the author sharting out her garbage world building in my face.

This is most obvious in an episode that has an in-universe school lecture about the world that goes on for like 5 minutes.

The show constantly tries to create crappy drama by forcing some unbelievably soppy artificial scene where the characters are enjoying themselves only to make them suffer 3 minutes later and throws in some navel gazing about how shitty war is. This has already happened like 5 times.

What's more amazing is that despite the fact that every episode is essentially 15 minutes of the lamest exposition followed by some random character you don't remember being killed, said exposition isn't enough to actually tell you what the fuck is going on. This isn't an intentionally mysterious show. Rather it's just incompetently directed with constant flashbacks and events happening out of order, and random unexplained fuckery at every turn.

It's so poorly organised that pretty much every scene transition the show actually tells you the in-universe date (in "stellar calendar" no less for some unknown fucking reason) because if it didn't you genuinely wouldn't be able to tell what the fuck it's talking about.

So yeah anyway this anime is probably gonna get like three seasons and the braindead military girl is gonna make millions in figure sales have fun lads

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Any One Piece fans/experts here? I just started watching it yesterday and there’s obviously... a lot of content to take in. Are the movies/OVAs necessary? Or am I good to just watch the first 130 episodes on Netflix?
OP anime is great for a few hundred episodes, but I'd definitely swap over to the manga by the time you get to the time skip. Grueling <1 chapter per episode pace.

You might as well get caught up before worrying about movies, but the ones to watch are Strong World (written by Oda and featuring a somewhat important canonical character) and Gold. Maybe Z and Stampede. If you like Mamoru Hosoda, he made the Baron Omatsuri movie, and it's fuckin weird.

I would say read the manga before anything else because it's quicker to read than it is to watch, and you still get all the same story stuff. You can go back and watch your favourite scenes and non-canon stuff whenever you want. I'd say this to anyone starting a long series.
I second this. I recently started One Piece as well and got to the intro of Usopp before I gave up because of how drawn out the anime can be at times. About a month ago I started reading the manga from where I stopped and the pacing is MUCH much better. I'll probably switch back over at the time skip and reevaluate (already got spoiled for that lol) .

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been enjoying Re:Zero greatly. It was a major surprise for me, as it's easy to write off when you learn that it's an Isekai. But truthfully it's a lot less like Isekais and a lot more like Fate/Stay Night. I could write a whole post about the similarities and some scenes that are ripped almost exactly from FSN, but that's not why I'm here. Just saying that if Re:Zero was inspired a lot by my favorite thing AND could also establish itself as its own thing, that would be really great.

Unfortunately I just finished Season 2 Part 2 and I'd have to say that things went greatly downhill. Part of this might be the fault of the delay between part 1 and part 2. Part 1 sets up the time loop and shows all the stakes, while Part 2 is dedicated to resolving them. Unfortunately, in practice this means that after months of not watching the show you come back to LOTS of exposition and backstory. Everything gets dumped here and it takes several episodes to do so, and I'd be lying if I said I could pay enough attention (I will need to rewatch from Season 2 start).

As for actual resolution, everything is resolved depressingly easy. Part 1 introduces a bunch of threats in different locations, and they each just get beat up easily by different characters and then teleportation resolves the rest. One good way to compare this to Season 1 is that there, to defeat one of the Great Mawbeasts, Subaru needed to grow as a person, make complex political arrangements, and bring an army to beat the thing. Even then it came at the cost of the best character in the show. The second Great Mawbeast? Dead in 5 minutes of screentime.

Subaru is far too wise now. Much of the charm of the show was how flawed he was as a character, and while it would be frustrating if he never grew, I just don't know where we go from here dramatically. If he can talk his way out of anything without putting his foot in his mouth or suffering, then I dunno, it feels shaky. (let's not even get into his growing army of platonic girlfriends)

But at least in a vacuum his character development is good. I don't know what the FUCK is going on with Emilia, who went from a Saber/Tohsaka hybrid "I don't need no man to put me on a pedestal" in Season 1 to a quivering useless piece of shit in Season 2. And while she's supposed to have gone through an arc to get past that and become a more confident person again, I don't like, get it. Kinda just seems like she needed a man to mack on her until she got over herself, which is a stark contrast to Season 1. But the show really tries to make you think she's gone through the mental journey. Ok, so, everyone she knew died... but she forgot. And then she remembers... and she's suddenly just fine now.

Also, say what you will about "People die when they are killed" out of context (the context being that he's a person who can't die ffs), Emilia thinking that babies come from kissing is the dumbest fucking in an otherwise good show I've seen in a long time. I just can't.

I'd hardly say it's bad, but it's strayed far from the 10/10 show I wanted it to develop into.

Last edited:
The thing that stands out most to me is how it had a "fanservice" episode and all the characters are still acting typically prudish even when most of them are probably going to die in the next month or two. It smacks of taking a popular element from other anime and transplanting it into a different setting without any thought put in.

I've been enjoying Re:Zero greatly. It was a major surprise for me, as it's easy to write off when you learn that it's an Isekai. But truthfully it's a lot less like Isekais and a lot more like Fate/Stay Night. I could write a whole post about the similarities and some scenes that are ripped almost exactly from FSN, but that's not why I'm here. Just saying that if Re:Zero was inspired a lot by my favorite thing AND could also establish itself as its own thing, that would be really great.

Unfortunately I just finished Season 2 Part 2 and I'd have to say that things went greatly downhill. Part of this might be the fault of the delay between part 1 and part 2. Part 1 sets up the time loop and shows all the stakes, while Part 2 is dedicated to resolving them. Unfortunately, in practice this means that after months of not watching the show you come back to LOTS of exposition and backstory. Everything gets dumped here and it takes several episodes to do so, and I'd be lying if I said I could pay enough attention (I will need to rewatch from Season 2 start).

As for actual resolution, everything is resolved depressingly easy. Part 1 introduces a bunch of threats in different locations, and they each just get beat up easily by different characters and then teleportation resolves the rest. One good way to compare this to Season 1 is that there, to defeat one of the Great Mawbeasts, Subaru needed to grow as a person, make complex political arrangements, and bring an army to beat the thing. Even then it came at the cost of the best character in the show. The second Great Mawbeast? Dead in 5 minutes of screentime.

Subaru is far too wise now. Much of the charm of the show was how flawed he was as a character, and while it would be frustrating if he never grew, I just don't know where we go from here dramatically. If he can talk his way out of anything without putting his foot in his mouth or suffering, then I dunno, it feels shaky. (let's not even get into his growing army of platonic girlfriends)

But at least in a vacuum his character development is good. I don't know what the FUCK is going on with Emilia, who went from a Saber/Tohsaka hybrid "I don't need no man to put me on a pedestal" in Season 1 to a quivering useless piece of shit in Season 2. And while she's supposed to have gone through an arc to get past that and become a more confident person again, I don't like, get it. Kinda just seems like she needed a man to mack on her until she got over herself, which is a stark contrast to Season 1. But the show really tries to make you think she's gone through the mental journey. Ok, so, everyone she knew died... but she forgot. And then she remembers... and she's suddenly just fine now.

Also, say what you will about "People die when they are killed" out of context (the context being that he's a person who can't die ffs), Emilia thinking that babies come from kissing is the dumbest fucking in an otherwise good show I've seen in a long time. I just can't.

I'd hardly say it's bad, but it's strayed far from the 10/10 show I wanted it to develop into.
I have complicated feelings on the direction Re:Zero went after the first season. Some of the issues are just simple writing flaws (ie the pacing and more problems/mysteries being introduced than solved), but I feel like it's kind of lost the unique identity that it had. The first season was defined by being a unique take on isekai where Subaru was useless instead of overpowered and an unaware asshole who had trouble seeing past his own wants instead of a generally nice guy. Both of those things seem like they're going by the wayside to an extent.

Emilia's "development" in s2 is weird since it comes after a scene with Subaru being particularly toxic and basically browbeating her into accepting his affections when she's already in an emotionally vulnerable state. I was expecting there to be some negative repercussions for this but...nothing really happened and everyone in the show seems to be treating what Subaru did as totally okay and cool and it legitimately helped Emilia, apparently. It would be one thing if he was growing into a better person, but him staying a shitty person and the show just going along with it is even worse. Maybe this will be expanded on later, but I'm not confident.

Also yeah, several of the major threats in the second season went down much more easily than I was expecting them to and it ended up feeling generally anticlimactic even though it was all one big arc instead of several smaller ones like the first season.

Last edited:
Also in the interest of not being entirely negative about stuff, I'll say that this season is pretty weak for the most part but Odd Taxi is great. It's one of those rare shows that has dialogue good enough to carry the entire thing even before the plot starts to kick in. There's something very human and grounded about the writing that's kind of uncommon in anime.

Other than second seasons oddtaxi is p much the only show Ive been watching the moment new eps come out and it blows my mind everytime. The writing is very reminiscent of Japanese radio shows and even though the anime is obviously super well planned and scripted any given scene feels like an an ad lib with two great comedians that happens to just take place in a crime drama anime about talking animals.

Kabasawa's twitter account is real and has been posting for nearly a year. You can find it here
https://twitter.com/kbsw_t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)