Anime Thread MK3 - Beware Spoilers

Martin

You can always count on a murderer for fancy prose
is a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributor
I just watched Yorimoi ep 12; that was the first time an anime has ever made me actually cry rather than just leaving me teary-eyed, although the end of AnoHana and the breakfast scene in ERASED also came pretty fucking close.

Pilo

i have a fetish for long, black hair
is a Live Chat Contributor Alumnus
first impressions

megalo box:
i can tell this show is good but it's not for me. i watched the whole first episode and didn't absorb any of it. really stellar art direction though, i'll give it till episode 3.

gun gale online: i actually had really high hopes for this one because it was by an entirely different staff working for an entirely different studio not to mention the source material was written by the guy who did kino. even more exciting was the fact that the studio backing it was 3hz who had wowed me with flip flappers and princess principal, but despite that ggo managed to defy all odds and still be a steaming pile of crap. where do i even begin? the first episode consists of the two mcs sitting in a bush watching other people sort of fight until 14 minutes into the episode but that's not even the part that peeved me off the most. at some point during those 14 minutes this one guy was rappelling down a building and the female mc asked if his rappelling skill was high and the male mc just replied "no he's just good at climbing in real life". and if you think that's ggo's only offense then think again, the show is just full of stupid shit that makes no sense like a guy mistaking some complete rando for his teammate and consequently getting killed and the mc wearing hot pink even though everyone around her is clad in camo. don't waste your time on this one.

uma musume:
this is the most boring, predictable show i've ever seen. i was literally calling out everything before it happened.

mahou shoujo site:
this feels like another response to madoka magica in spectacularly edgy fashion. the first episode features domestic violence, hardcore bullying, animal abuse, attempted rape, and a school shooting. forgive me for being unable to take this show seriously but it's just so over the top i couldn't help but laugh at some point. oh, and they cry blood too.

hinamatsuri:
finally, a show i have something good to say about. while nothing particularly impressive in terms of visuals barring maybe the burst of sakuga in the opening scene hinamatsuri still managed to hold my attention and make me smile more than once. hinamatsuri feels like one of those lighthearted feel-good comedies and the yakuza guy and hina have really good chemistry, i think the show's going in a good direction.

breh

強いだね
in case it isn't clear to people that haven't read the manga, the first episode of bnha of this season is anime-only; unlike the workplace experience arc where they showed off tsuyu's (where it was just a casual single line in the manga) and actually developed something, this is absolutely recap filler. if you skip this episode you are not worse off.

I've been watching hunter x hunter slowly, enjoying it so far, currently at ep 22, it's good but there are some dumb aspects / characters... I hope leorio becomes less of a comically useless waste of space

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
Anyone here ever watch Yu YU Hakusho ? One the best animes imo and the tournament arc is one the best in anime history if not the best tournament arc. Must watch if you haven;t.
watching it right now actually, im about a third of the way through the dark tournament arc

im really liking it so far, most of the fights are done cleverly and in a way thats very gripping. and the characters are fantastic too, they all have great chemistry and theyre funny as fuck - especially Koenma and Kuwabara

one question tho - do yall prefer the dub or sub? i'm watching it in dub rn and I really like it so far especially yusuke / botan / kuwabara / koenma but then again im not comparing it to anything since ive never watched the sub. i usually watch sub for all anime but i was told that YYH dub was exceptional and better than the sub

watching it right now actually, im about a third of the way through the dark tournament arc

im really liking it so far, most of the fights are done cleverly and in a way thats very gripping. and the characters are fantastic too, they all have great chemistry and theyre funny as fuck - especially Koenma and Kuwabara

one question tho - do yall prefer the dub or sub? i'm watching it in dub rn and I really like it so far especially yusuke / botan / kuwabara / koenma but then again im not comparing it to anything since ive never watched the sub. i usually watch sub for all anime but i was told that YYH dub was exceptional and better than the sub
I think YYH is one of few classics that actually have a good dub.

Martin

Thoughts on stuff that just started airing:
Amanchu! ~Advance~: The first episode of this was kinda boring, but that was always part of the deal with Amanchu!. I'll give this a few episodes, but I think the first season definitely started out stronger than this one did even if it had a dip in the middle.

Gundam Build Divers: I really don't know what to say about this. The prologue episode was really fucking confusing, and the first episode's conflict got resolved through "your gundam hasn't given up yet!!!11" bullshit which just rubbed me the wrong way. I was gonna give most of the stuff that I dip my toe into the three episode test, but if this hasn't got me fucking enthralled by the end of episode 2 I'm not gonna give it any more of a chance than I already have.

Hinamatsuri: I honestly never thought I'd see the day when an entire building's worth of people getting massacred would make me laugh out loud for a full minute. That's not the only time I audibly laughed either, it was just this biggest one it got out of me. This show is genuinely great; it has lots of charm, it's very funny, and all in all it was just a very enjoyable watch. Also I love the two MCs' character dynamic. Strong recommendation.

Megalo Box: I really liked the first episode of this; its aesthetic (trashy 90s cyberpunk) is great, it's hella enjoyable to watch, and we're gonna get to see people beat the ever-living shit out of each other with mechanised arms. It's gonna be raw, and it's gonna be entertaining. Another strong recommendation.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online: Honestly I rather enjoyed the first episode of this. The main girl's script was… uh… really bad, and unless they explain it away as some kind of skill the whole deal with her hiding in a suitcase was really stupid. Beyond that, however, everything felt grounded within the mechanics of the SEED engine that the original SAO established, and the tactics that were being used were also mostly grounded and made a lot of sense. It was a fun watch.

Thoughts on stuff that I'm watching/have just recently finished watching:
A Place Further Than the Universe: 10/10—this show is basically perfect; emotional highs that will leave you feeling great for the entire day, emotional lows that will have you sobbing into your palms (the end of episode 11 got me; it's the only time a show has ever made me sob rather than just giving me watery eyes), four utterly brilliantly written main cast members who are all extremely easy to empathise with—each of which having character arcs flawlessly weaved through the show's run—alongside equally well designed+fleshed out supporting cast members, immensely effective sound direction alongside a great OST, brilliant visual direction that makes full use the background elements to pull the most out of every scene (or to otherwise scatter visual gags all throughout the show's run), and a concept that allows it to all come together into one of the absolute best packages I've ever seen in any TV show ever. This show is a must-watch.

After the Rain: 6/10—I don't really know what to say about this show. It was well directed for the most part and the characters were likable, and the show moving past the whole "I'm in love with my boss" thing and setting boundaries was definitely a good+important direction for the series to take. However, there were things that I just didn't like about it. As banal a comment as this sounds for a show called "After the Rain," I think that the rain motif was overused and didn't really add much to the show past a certain point, especially considering that at least half of the time it was used unimaginatively as pathetic fallacy. The last episode felt extremely rushed, and the show overall just felt rather unfulfilling and incomplete. All in all I have very mixed feelings about it.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc: This is still great. Also the OP for the second cour is way better visually than the one for the first cour.

Jojo Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable: Another show that I have rather mixed feelings about; on the one hand it's a huge improvement over part 3, which was straight up awful in just about every regard (the Egypt arc was too middling to save the terrible pre-Egypt arc of Stardust Crusaders), but on the other hand it is still leaving me with a kinda empty feeling. I've seen 20 episodes, but there's only been one non-filler (or non-semi-filler) episode since they beat Red Hot Chilli Pepper. Sure, it's usually pretty good filler, but I'm getting tired of the show not going anywhere; it's really annoying and kinda defeats the point of its action show concept. It definitely handles episodic a lot better than shitty Stardust Crusaders, but whether I'd say it's overall good is still yet to be seen.

ReLIFE OVA: 7–8/10—This reminded me of how great ReLIFE is; I should really get around to finishing reading the manga at some point 'cause it apparently handles the material that was covered in the OVA better than the anime did. Honestly I just love the visual design of it; while the actual characters look extremely "A-1-y" wrt the way they're drawn, the way that it handles static minor characters by just drawing red/blue sillhouettes (or grey in a handful of scenes) is such a cool stylistic choice IMO. Beyond this it reminded me of how great the characters in ReLIFE are.

Rurouni Kenshin: There were some rather shaky filler episodes early on, but from about episode 20 onwards it's been really consistently stellar. When it's in arcs or otherwise moving the plot forward it is easily a 10/10 show, and while there were definitely questionable filler episodes early on there were also fucking stellar ones (the train episode is one of the best filler episodes of anything I've ever watched), and anything before the aforementioned 20-ish mark that was in arc form was also completely stellar. I'm really tempted to say that this show is a better shounen than HxH, but I'll keep that back until I've finished it because I'm only about 40 episodes in atm.

Sangatsu no Lion Season 2: 10/10—Sangatsu is still great after its second season. While I certainly wouldn't label it as virtually flawless like I did with YoriMoi, I feel that what flaws it does have are just so small that it's extremely easy to overlook them. Its characters are all immensely likable (or otherwise very easy to relate to), and all get a good chunk of time dedicated to their development; its visual direction is varied and well designed (even if the overall visual presentation is kinda shaky/inconsistent in places, although there's nothing that a BD/blu-ray redraw can't fix)—none of its motifs ever feel old or exhausted and they all feel like they contribute to the show's overall presentation. It sucks that we're gonna probably have to wait a while for season 3 though; I've heard that we're almost at one of the best parts of the manga, but until it gets far enough ahead of the anime we're probably not gonna see any more of it adapted. I have my fingers crossed that when we eventually do get a third season that we're gonna see more of Kiriyama's family, as it feels kinda weird that they'd get virtually written out as abruptly as they did.

thoughts on Winter shows since that's over

Violet Evergarden: 5.5/10. This is a rollercoaster and not in a good way, some episodes manage to hit some solid emotional notes while others are just bad in general (2 in particular stands out) and there's a lot of things that are just handwaved for the show's convenience. Overall it has enough appeal that I'd tentatively recommend it but kyoani budget plays a decent part in that.

Killing Bites: 6.5/10, fun trashy battle seinen. Not really much more to say.

Overlord 2: 7/10. Overlord's thing is slow, deliberate world and character building followed by wonderfully self-indulgent payoff at the end. The latter part was a bit lacking this season but they announced s3 at the end so I guess I can forgive that.

Yuru Camp: 8/10. Excellent SoL with a consistently fun cast. Minor detail but I like that it doesn't immediately throw all of the main characters together as soon as they're introduced, they manage to work well in smaller groups and when they do all come together it feels a bit more special.

Toji no Miko: 6/10. Nothing amazing but a hundred better than most other shows of its ilk (ie phone game tie-ins). In particular the first episode seemed stupid initially then got explained logically later on.

Fate Extra: Not properly over yet, but I like where it's at so far. It's a more unique and far more focused take on the Fate formula than Apocrypha was, at the very least.

Antarctica: 7/10. Forgot about this one early in the season but glad I went back to it. I don't think it ever amazed me at any point but it's never really a bore to watch either and avoids a decent amount of cliche/predictable drama that I was expecting. It's also well animated and has a ridiculous seiyuu budget, which most people probably won't care about but it's cool recognizing not only all of the main characters but a good chunk of the supporting cast too.

Darling in the Franxx: 5/10? idk this was kinda safe and stale where I left off

Grancrest: 4/10, has the ingredients for a nice fantasy show but it wrecks itself with far too fast pacing.

Girls und Panzer Finale 1: 8.5/10. I'm not sure how this series keeps getting consistently better and better but it does somehow. It has a wonderfully stupid sense of humor that's kind of at odds with the subject of the show and which it takes full advantage of and which just generally makes it a joy to watch, the tank battles are alright too but they're more of an afterthought.

NGNL Zero: 7/10. Not what I expected, but it's reasonably interesting in its own right and ties into the existing universe nicely like a good prequel should.

Devilman Crybaby: 8.5/10, weird and edgy in nearly every possible way but a blast to watch with some real emotional highs and an A+ soundtrack that I'm probably going to be listening to for awhile yet.

SDS s2/Saiki s2: 8/10 currently, solid sequels that are pretty much on par with their first seasons

also I kinda like horses so far. The plot looks to be the same type of "underdog trainer with his own methods vs the established veteran who sticks to the tried and true" thing that's been used in a bunch of stuff before but the mashup of horse girls and running and idol-ing gives a certain odd charm to it, along with the stupid-sounding horse names and other general goofiness like horseshoes on top of shoes and the girl running to school with a carrot in her mouth. Maybe it'll wear off as it goes on idk

Last edited:

Lemonade

betwixt the threads of fates untold
is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok this is probably just me, but I'm pretty excited for full metal panic. Like 8 years ago or something I scoured the internet for the light novels and read through every volume of the terrible translations. Not particularly sure why, I'm not a particular fan of giant robot series, but I just had to finish this story.

Besides that, there's the matrix which could be interesting, tada koi which could turn out pretty cute, and I'm assuming no one mentioned lupin III because you are all watching it in silent agreement??????

Things you should watch:
Wolf Children:

An inspirational emotional movie about a single mother trying to raise two children. However, these children are half-wolf, half-human. The movie is an incredible slice of life and coming-of-age where the main character Hana deals with hardships and always smiles through it.

The cinematography is brilliant, the animation beautiful, the character designs distinguished and realistic, the cute moments are heartwarming, the emotional parts are tearjerking, and all in all it's a movie that will leave a positive impact on my life.

Honobono Log:
You should try this for the sake of it only being 20 minutes anyway. These are 10 two minute shorts about relationships between characters. These are mostly romantic relationships, but familial relationships are included.

Some are incredibly cute (episode 3, my favorite), some are heartwarming, and all are concise and spontaneous. Sweet and to the point.

Bananya:
A 30 minute kids show about a kitty living in a bananya. Outside of the narrator, all dialogue is literally "nya". However, you should give this a try. Again, it's short, so you should give it a try regardless.

The artstyle is nice and fits perfectly for the silly childish comedy sketches of Bananya. Yuki Kaji (known for Todoroki in BnHA, Eren in AoT) does some funny voice-acting with a surprisingly feminine voice. The cat pictures at the end are cute. The "Bananya Identification Guide" at the end of each episode are funny and give some personality to the endearing character designs. And the ED is just catchy fun.

---
Hopefully I can complete 5 more entries this month. Looking to finish Stardust Crusaders S2 and Diamond is Unbreakable, Akira, Bakemono no Ko, and Space Patrol Luluco.

Also I've picked up some manga. Kaguya wants to be confessed to and Yotsuba& are looking awesome so far. Not entirely sold on Berserk and Psyren yet, but I heard they pick up later. If anyone has any suggestions on what to read hit me up!

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader
Circus Maximus Leader
I have joined RODAN as a member of the church of Lupin III. Part V has started off strong and has given the character that really makes the show go more than a passing glance so far.

"But DLE, where do I start with Lupin III? It's so old and there's so many episodes!"

Good question, hypothetical user. I jumped in to Part IV (the 2015 series that takes place in Italy/Monaco) with 0 background and found out very quickly I both didn't really need an introduction and the show doesn't really care too much about background. If you're really fretting about a background on how some of the main characters met up, there's always The Woman Called Fujiko Mine as a starting point (there are two "sequel" movies to this, too). Either will serve you well to be able to enjoy the new series; you can also just jump into Part V (the currently airing one) like I did with Part IV but I think Part IV started a bit better as an introduction...but you won't get lost.

Also holy FUCK what a season for sports anime, there's so many good lord. Megalo Box, Major 2nd, Captain Tsubasa...I'm so happy. Also, the horse girl sports idol anime is really dumb but isn't irredeemable trash yet, and Gurazeni could be...alright? Maybe? (Gurazeni is probably not going to be alright). YowaPeda is continuing and is so far pulling off day 2 of the interhigh better than how Grande Road handled it, and I'm not gonna watch Inazuma Eleven but I'm sure Martin and LightWolf are probably squeeing about it.

Last edited:

RODAN

"fujiko mine smokes a bong" by pablo picasso
is a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
ive decided to take this season pretty slow in comparison to my usual high speed watch the fuck out of everything mindset.

heres what im watching: megalo box, mahou shoujo site, hinamatsuri, LUPIN III, and some chinese show about freaks

lupins the best, hinamatsuri is good.

mss =

Pilo

i have a fetish for long, black hair
is a Live Chat Contributor Alumnus
Megalo Box is intentionally airing in SD to try and compliment the 90s aesthetic the show boasts and TMS just happened to 'accidentally' send streaming services an SD file. If that's not cool I don't know what is.

Episode 1 was kind of mediocre but Episode 2 had a lot more going on in it. In fact it actually got me to pick up Ashita no Joe which I'll also post on if it ends up being any good. Megalo Box is a serious AOTS contender though.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Captain Tsubasa remake is not as horrible as I thought. It looks like an aesthetic/visual update with the pacing fixed from the original one which dragged on forever. Which is perfectly fine. Timely update of a well loved classic.

Major 2nd is basically the Boruto to Major so I'm mixed about it given how iconic the original was, I hope its something new rather than a rehash of the OP character carrying weak teams against devilishly strong opponents. I hope they take it as an opportunity to develop Honda's story instead of just focusing on the kid.

BnHA new season is the same old as BnHA. Recap episode was unnecessary given how recent the old season was but eh okay... as long as they don't do further needless rubbish to slow down the pace. I did not sit through a slow-ass season 1 and a moderately okay-ish paced season 2 for nothing. I think we deserve some proper payoff and I'm hoping this is the season they finally up the ante.

Also keen to check out Steins;Gate 0 when I get the time.

Martin

OK, I'm 76 episodes in and I've decided: Rurouni Kenshin is probably a better battle shounen than Hunter×Hunter overall, although they both definitely handle different things better than one another. It's a really close call though.

OK, I'm 76 episodes in and I've decided: Rurouni Kenshin is probably a better battle shounen than Hunter×Hunter overall, although they both definitely handle different things better than one another. It's a really close call though.
damn for real? im watching HxH right now and it might be top 2 shonens ive ever seen tbh. meanwhile i heard that RK falls off big time after Kyoto arc and that the OVAs are way better.

btw for anyone itt whose already seen RK, if i want to get into it should i watch the show first or the OVAs?

Martin

damn for real? im watching HxH right now and it might be top 2 shonens ive ever seen tbh. meanwhile i heard that RK falls off big time after Kyoto arc and that the OVAs are way better.

btw for anyone itt whose already seen RK, if i want to get into it should i watch the show first or the OVAs?
Rurouni Kenshin's christian arc (the one I just finished) is about as good as its Kyoto arc overall but spread out over the course of <1/3 the episode count. Probably the weakest aspect of Kenshin is its filler, and even then its filler all ranges from middling at worst (5–6/10) to 10/10 at best (most notably the train filler), and anything that is presented in arc form is 9/10 minimum–10/10 maximum, which is a pretty stark contrast with HxH which starts out with a 6/10 exam arc immediately followed by a 3–4/10 tournament (ladder?) arc.

The reason I'm calling HxH super close is just because of how much deeper its characterisation is and the fact it does more to explore its themes in depth while having three of the best arcs I've ever watched alongside its hugely underwhelming ones (auction arc, chinera snt arc and election arc) all while being totally fillerless. In terms of individual fights (i.e. not the hyper fleshed-out chimera ant war) Rurouni Kenshin is probably stronger despite its comparatively limited choreography, but that's much more contentious so I won't try to explain my stance on it.

Anyway, starting out with the series is very easy, and it starts right before Kenshin meets Kaoru for the first time, so I'd suggest doing that. I'm going to watch the OVAs afterwards so I can't say anything about the quality or structure of them, but yeah the series itself is very, very good so even if they are better it's not like you're wasting your time or anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)