Media Anime and Manga Thread MK3 - Beware Spoilers

Ya think?

It's like having to keep saying that 2 + 2 = 4. I don't know what people don't get about the concept of a prequel. I shouldn't have to say any more.
I don't think there's any rule that a prequel has to be written only for people that have seen the work that it takes place before. If anything it might be the opposite in this case, Fate/Stay Night is a visual novel and Fate Zero is an anime (originally released as a light novel). There's a much lower barrier to entry to either of the latter, I think it's a pretty safe expectation that there are going to be people experiencing Fate/Zero before Stay Night.

But if you actually thought about it at all, you'd realize that reading F/SN before F/Z doesn't spoil F/Z at all. Fate/Zero doesn't have plot twists. Fate/Stay Night is a story full of mystery boxes and hidden identities, and a large portion of the plot and themes revolve around how the reader's perspective on the situation changes as it plays out in different ways. Fate/Zero is actually a rather simple character ensemble story where you understand almost everything you need to know about all but one actor within the first episode. And that one hidden character isn't spoiled because he isn't mentioned in F/SN. The fates of almost all characters are not mentioned in F/SN. Some major events are alluded to in F/SN, but not in ways that really give you clarity as to how they play out in F/Z. In fact, F/SN really only spoils one thing:
That's a good point as far as characters, but Fate/Zero is also a battle royale and knowing the plot of Fate Stay Night means you know exactly how it ends.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
F*** all that

SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Google showings of Maquia. Watch it if one is available. if the only one available is 30 minutes from now you better be f****** 30 minutes from the theater

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Imagine if a One Piece episode got half the care and attention the latest Boruto episode had.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
best shows of the season

planet with - this show is going to be important. it has that instant classic feel to it which i dont see very often. very interesting and bizarre

angolmois - really cool historical action show, its basically dynasty warriors adapted into an anime and it is handled with an insane amount of care. keep your eye on it

banana fish - hella gay, but also really visceral. extremely adult themes that you dont often see represented in anime.

lupin iii - fuck you if you arent watching lupin already

If you can't recognize an obvious worms jab, I'm not sure I can believe your self-proclaimed status as a Fate fanatic. :facepalm:

I think he just needed a basic explanation of where the different media fall within the timeline of the franchise or whatever.

Fate/Stay Night is the obvious starting point, because it kickstarted the series so of course it's going to explain basic concepts and mechanics of the universe that permeate the rest of the franchise. Even if you'd recommend against it in favor of playing the visual novel, though, this is the Anime Thread. At least mention the original DEEN anime adaptation. Not that I wouldn't welcome more VN fans around here... Although the ol' vonMeanler is correct in saying that lord only knows how long before the third Heaven's Feel movie (the third and final route of the VN) gets released and translated. So if you want the whole actual story that spans the original F/SN VN, you'll need to play it.

(In case anyone needed it explicitly spelled out, the original Fate/Stay Night VN consists of three routes: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, Heaven's Feel. The 2006 DEEN anime mostly only covers the first route, both the UBW movie and TV series adapt the second route, and the ongoing Heaven's Feel movie trilogy is adapting the third route.)

The only other good places to begin, as far as understanding the basic tenets of the Fate universe, is the UBW TV series by ufotable (consensus much better than the UBW Deen movie) or Fate/Zero. For obvious reasons, as UBW is a continuation of the Fate route in the original VN and Zero is a prequel written with the original in mind, that makes the original F/SN the best place to start. But if you can't be assed to deal with the VN (which is very long and requires some digging around the Web) and are dodgy on watching the original DEEN show because of the shittalk about it, the UBW TV series is the next best place to start.

Most other stuff in the Fate franchise is loosely related and the only important link between most of it is the general fantasy setting and mechanics of the fictional universe. They might be alternate universes, in the distant past/future from the original (which details the 5th Holy Grail War), "what-if" scenarios that aren't canon, etc. Grand Order exists to drain your wallet in the pursuit of gacha waifus.
  • Zero is a direct prequel to Stay Night, detailing the 4th War, and is pretty well-received.
  • The parallel universe of Extra is the only one, other than the original, with much in the way of continuity: Extra -> Extra CCC -> Extella -> Extella Link. The first two are PSP games, the latter two Vita/PS4 games. Extella also has a Switch port. Only Extra and Extella have official English releases, though Link is brand new so it shouldn't be written off for localization yet. Spawned the best Fate characters, UMU and MIKON. The recent anime for Extra seems to be widely regarded as hot garbage. (Then again, the game isn't great either.)
  • Watch Kaleid Liner Prisma☆Illya (the star is very important, you see) if you're a depraved lolicon.
  • Carnival Phantasm is a gag show with Nasuverse (Fate + Tsukihime) characters that is supposed to be pretty funny.
Someone feel free to correct me, I'm just a sideline fan.
seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.

so, in short, we should just watch Prisma☆Illya and can safely skip the rest?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.

so, in short, we should just watch Prisma☆Illya and can safely skip the rest?
Ya we can just watch Prisma Illya and skip the rest.
The rest takes too much research to know what's going on.
#casuals

Reactions: Ada
early season thoughts

Grand Blue: someone described this as "frat boys: the anime" and that seems like a pretty apt description. Kinda dumb but entertaining enough.

Hanebado:
FnRsBhc.png

Harukana Receive: this is what Hanebado probably should've been, a sports show that integrates its drama into the sport instead of letting it drown out the rest of the show.

Island: decently interesting mystery/comedy/romance/drama/?. There's plenty of room for it to go south but it's been fun so far.

Asobi Asobase: pure shitposting. Pretty hit or miss though.

something Valkyria: this might be even more boring than the other isekai show with the smartphone gimmick

Isekai Maou: extremely trashy, but just barely self-aware enough to be fun

Planet With: unusual premise and interesting thus far, and it's by the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer writer who I like, hoping it turns out well.

Tonegawa: kind of disappointing. It has the same slow pacing and overdramatization of everything that Kaiji does and I love Kaiji, but here it's played for comedy and tends to kill the pacing. Probably worked better as a manga.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've seen people doing these 'anime bingo' charts in a handful of servers so I thought it'd be fun. Basically, it's like 3x3s but arranged as a bingo card, meaning that there is room for 24+a free space, and people are doing them for anime, manga, and characters. I'm going to link a generator at the bottom of this post that allows you to do all three of them either by a search that generates stuff for you or by uploading images+captioning them.

I just did one for anime and then randomised the order

For all but one I didn't wanna separate related series so I edited the text to account for those. I might add explanations after work or whatever (probably not though because fuck doing it for 24 shows instead of 9), but for now if you wanna make one this is the generator I used:

https://anime-bingo.aikats.us/

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Of course, what's the point of BINGO if you aren't trying to win? We should see how many other users we can fill in at least one bingo for. I'm closer to one for Martin than for RODAN atm.

Mine includes anime games. Was half-tempted to throw in Undertale.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm like 2 off of a bingo for RODAN (not seen WUG or Rail Wars). I'd have multiple bingos for Von if they were just arranged differently.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Is anyone remotely interested in the new Dragon Ball Super movie with Broly?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I forgot Ouran High School Host Club on my BINGO fml

July anime report

Saw season 1 of My Hero Academia. First few episodes show a lot of potential, but I didn't care that much as it went on. It probably just needed a longer season.

Nekomonogatari Black sure was pointless.

Welcome to the NHK is good... it's just sort of entirely invalidated if it's just another manic pixie dreamgirl story and I'm hoping I don't feel that way by the end.

Finished the first season of the Rakugo show. It reminds me of a lot of early hollywood movies about performance arts that I don't want to see on film. I'm not even remotely interested in Rakugo. I think it's like a comedy thing because characters laugh? So why isn't it funny? The actual plot is sometimes interesting, but not every episode. Could have pruned a lot here. It's not the usual anime trash. They really tried to make something significant. But oh well.

I'm not done with York New City, but it's amazing how fast Hunter x Hunter is becoming a better show. Hardly the best battle shonen ever. The plot is dumb (a bunch of thieves pull a heist by killing everyone... really easily) and the characters are one-dimensional, but at least the writer has figured out how to make an engaging action show by properly injecting the right amount of bravado into each scene.

I have a few episodes left of Sangatsu no Lion, but I decided pretty early in season two that it was the best TV show I've seen. It's definitely up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire in terms of trying to bring the feel of old school lit to television. Season 2 might not be better than season 1, but because it builds off of it, the whole show becomes better. And it'll be hard to wait to see the third season.

But not as hard as it will be to wait to see Maquia again.

Upcoming:
Rurouni Kenshin
Rec
Flip Flappers
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Not sure if Rodan has seen Fate/Zero yet or if he thinks I put the F/SN anime on my bingo board

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
A bit late to the party; I've got a bingo in RODAN's middle row, I'm 1 off for von (need Zoids down), 1 off for Blue Tornado (need Persona 4 across, Utena down, or Pet Girl diagonal). I'm 2 off for any of Martin's. Here's mine

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does 3-Gatsu no Lion radically shift gears or up its storytelling somewhere down the line to justify all the hype and love? Or is it a what you see is what you get affair?

Seems like standard SoL fare to me (till ep7 at least)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Does 3-Gatsu no Lion radically shift gears or up its storytelling somewhere down the line to justify all the hype and love? Or is it a what you see is what you get affair?

Seems like standard SoL fare to me (till ep7 at least)
I didn't think it was normal for SoL shows to show life as incredibly hard as 3-Gatsu does. But yes, you gradually start to understand more what the show is about, first by episode 5 and then by episode 10 (where I think season 1 peaks). And the more you watch it, the more you get an incredibly detailed understanding of the characters. None of them are simple tropes that anime likes to use.

Also, Da Letter El BINGO (Madoka, Haikyuu, Hunter x Hunter, Gurren Lagann, LotGH)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)