Anonymous Threatens Facebook

This sentence, when taken completely out of context of this whole story, is genius.

As someone said above, at least Zuckerberg should be scared. Anyone else who is scared of this should move all their personal stuff to google+ or back to myspace from whence it came, since no massive group will organize an attack on myspace. I'm assuming that making your profile "private" or "friends only" and NOT ADDING STRANGERS would be the first precaution you should take if you plan to keep your stuff up, but I wouldn't doubt they'd get past that.
How would you "move" all your personal stuff? Write up Zuckerberg and ask him to take it off their servers once you delete your profile?

How would you "move" all your personal stuff? Write up Zuckerberg and ask him to take it off their servers once you delete your profile?
this, it's well publicised that they don't actually delete things off their servers

that and other people may well have pics of you, private conversations with you, statuses about you, etc.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, what i meant was taking your stuff down and uploading it to another social networking website (or just not "moving it" and keep it off the internet), but by what jumpluff said the point is moot.

You're equating taking down a Syria's defense website to taking down a poster in the eyes of "computer experts" (metaphorically speaking). Enlighten me.
it's a comic

the comic basically means that hacking into the actual computers = private data (though i'd imagine it's encrypted), instead of a website, which mostly exists as a front for a department / to give information on what it does. i am not a defense expert or a cryptography expert or any of that, but i doubt syria's defense ministry operates through a webchat hosted on their site

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They basically announced they'll DDoS Facebook on November 5th. Who gives a shit. Facebook will be down for a day. They get attention for it. Internet dweebs will celebrate that something popular is being taken down. And Zuckerberg?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're equating taking down a Syria's defense website to taking down a poster in the eyes of "computer experts" (metaphorically speaking). Enlighten me.
A government web site is merely a front, likely not even hosted in the same building as any sensitive information that might harm anyone, and when someone "takes down a government website" it really doesn't mean shit. It's like tearing down a poster hanging in front of a safe: you can do anything you want to the poster because it has no real security, but the real information is in the safe behind it, and nothing you do to the poster has any bearing on what's in the safe.

It's like tearing down a poster hanging in front of a safe: you can do anything you want to the poster because it has no real security, but the real information is in the safe behind it, and nothing you do to the poster has any bearing on what's in the safe.
Was reminded of the Game Corner.

What do they hope to accomplish by announcing the attack this far ahead of time? Making it more difficult for themselves? LulzSec was successful because they didn't give targets that much time to prepare.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
First Sony and now Facebook.
Down with Facebook, and I have no doubt that they could take down Facebook, after seeing how incredibly easy Sony was to hack
It's worth noting 'they' had nothing to do with the sony thing.
It seems as though they are causing more harm to the people that they aim to "protect".
what lol, anonymous doesn't aim to protect anyone.
I'd assume he's talking about the free speech rabble rouser ones. Again it's not like they're the folk who are involved in this.
What do they hope to accomplish by announcing the attack this far ahead of time?
attention

You can't blame something on anonymous, that's fucking stupid.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anonymous threatens Facebook, how meaningless. These are a bunch of idiot kids crying out for attention. They are just going to send a meaningless DDoS attack which will get shrugged off by Facebook. It might be down in scattered places for a few hours but ultimately this will accomplish nothing, as usual.

I love how they're attacking Facebook, one of the few places a group as stupid as this would be able to gain any public support. I hope this backfires spectacularly so we can stop hearing about LOIC-using scriptkiddies posing as computer hackers.

and P.S. I love that comic you posted SDS, so true

Was reminded of the Game Corner.
So the CIA is Team Rocket? :O

The fact that they gave advance warning of doing anything this time means that, more likely than not, nothing's going to happen. They're just sad because the media stopped talking about them after they stopped.

Anonymous: Rivaling Energy Ball Jellicent for Stupid Shit Ever award :/

They basically announced they'll DDoS Facebook on November 5th. Who gives a shit. Facebook will be down for a day. They get attention for it. Internet dweebs will celebrate that something popular is being taken down. And Zuckerberg?

While I completely agree with you, the idiots of today's society will start freaking out on the day that Facebook is down and spread the gossip like wildfire. Which is exactly what Anonymous wants anyway-attention.

Sad thruth :(

As others already said, this looks like they´re begging for attention with a DDoS attack at best... you can telll how childish this charade is by just looking at the interviews and presencial acts they do for the media all around the world :/

Wikileaks is besting all these guys at the revolution game anyway.

BTW, there are videos about anonymous telling this thread wasn´t theirs, but another group´s standig as anonymous; its all too messy to take it seriously if you ask me. Quite a shame, I would love to see a true "informatic revolution" myself...

Lishy

Admittedly, I don't mind if they DDOS facebook. I can live a few days without it and watch the lulz of people panicking.

On the other hand, I hope they don't hack the database and compromise accounts because I use facebook to communicate with my old buds from high school. That doesn't make me a "facebookfag" as someone from /b/ would say. That's just someone who has a life and I'll be damned if they hacked accounts of people who don't even like facebook <_<

It is common sense though that cia.gov obviously does not contain anything of importance, what it would do (which is what the comic is trying to say) is cause the general masses to get riled up. Whether they even attack at this point is not even important, they have already gotten people talking.

BTW, there are videos about anonymous telling this thread wasn´t theirs, but another group´s standig as anonymous; its all too messy to take it seriously if you ask me.
The beauty of the group called anonymous is that, due to the nature of the group, anyone can be a part of it. Maybe it is not an operation being executed by the main organization, like the attacks against scientology, but it continues to be an attack by anonymous.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I meant that two very large companies which provide services to the general masses have been threatened, not that they did both.
Then why did you say that
First Sony and now Facebook. It seems as though they are causing more harm to the people that they aim to "protect".
This seems to imply that you're blaming them both on one anonymous.
again, anonops is unrelated to the facebook hacking, and they're the most 'vocal' of the anonymous groups, and catch all the flak. They get held up as the central body of anonymous, as the anonymous. They seem kind of counterintuitive having leaders and such but who am I to judge.
BTW, there are videos about anonymous telling this thread wasn´t theirs, but another group´s standig as anonymous; its all too messy to take it seriously if you ask me. Quite a shame, I would love to see a true "informatic revolution" myself...
anonops are the 'freedom fighters' if you will, concerned with the free flow of information. They're the ones who have hacked in... oh some big website a let out a lot of free music or something. Uhh. There's also anon-iran and it's associated freepeoples endgov.net folk, and then there's fourchan and their anonymous etcetera etcetera
anonops has a twitter, they said this isn't them. Which makes sense. ~"we don't need to attack mediums."
Also, this video explains why Anonymous was almost certainly NOT behind the Sony hacking: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3350-Anonymous
For Immediate Distribution
Press Release
May 4, 2011
Anonymous Enterprises LLC (Bermuda)
Last month, an unknown party managed to break into Sony’s servers and acquired millions of customer records including credit card numbers. Insomuch as that this incident occurred in the midst of Anonymous’ OpSony, by which participants engaged in several of our standard information war procedures against the corporation and its executives, Sony and other parties have come to blame Anonymous for the heist. Today, in a letter directed to members of Congress involved in an inquiry into the situation, Sony claimed to have discovered a file on its servers, presumably left by the thieves in question, entitled “Anonymous” and containing a fragment of our slogan, “We are Legion.” In response, we would like to raise the following points:
1. Anonymous has never been known to have engaged in credit card theft.
2. Many of our corporate and governmental adversaries, on the other hand, have been known to have lied to the public about Anonymous and about their own activities. HBGary, for instance, was caught lying a number of times to the press, to the public, and to Anonymous itself (in this phone call, for instance, ( http://tinyurl.com/…) CEO Aaron Barr makes a number of untrue statements regarding the intent of his “research,” claiming for instance that he never tried to sell the information to the FBI when e-mails acquired soon showed that he had been set to do just that; executive Karen Burke was also caught lying to Bloomberg about having not seen an incriminating e-mail that she had in fact replied to just a few days before). The U.S. Chamber of Commerce lied about not having seen the criminal proposal created by them for Team Themis; Palantir lied about not having any idea what their employees were up to; Berico publicly denounced a plan that they had actively engaged in creating; etc. There is no corporation in existence will choose the truth when lies are more convenient.
3. To the contrary, Anonymous is an ironically transparent movement that allows reporters in to our operating channels to observe us at work and which has been extraordinarily candid with the press when commenting on our own activities, which is why reporters prefer to talk to us for truthful accounts of the situation rather than go to our degenerate enemies to be lied to.
4. Whoever broke into Sony’s servers to steal the credit card info and left a document blaming Anonymous clearly wanted Anonymous to be blamed for the most significant digital theft in history. No one who is actually associated with our movement would do something that would prompt a massive law enforcement response. On the other hand, a group of standard online thieves would have every reason to frame Anonymous in order to put law enforcement off the track. The framing of others for crimes has been a common practice throughout history.
5. It should be remembered that several federal contractors such as HBGary and Palantir have been caught planning a variety of unethical and potentially criminal conspiracies by which to discredit the enemies of their clients. This is not a theory – this is a fact that has been reported at great length by dozens of journalists with major publications. Insomuch as that our enemies have either engaged in or planned to engage in false flag efforts, it should not be surprising that many of the journalists who have covered us, who know who we are and what motivates us – and who have alternatively seen the monstrous behavior of those large and “respectable” firms that are all too happy to throw aside common decency at the behest of such clients as Bank of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce – also have their suspicions that some capable party performed this operation as a means by which to do great damage to Anonymous in the public eye. Those who consider such a prospect to be somehow unlikely are advised to read about what was proposed by Team Themis in their efforts to destroy Wikileaks, and should otherwise take a few minutes to learn about COINTELPRO and other admitted practices by the U.S. intelligence community. The fact is that Anonymous has brought a great deal of discomfort to powerful entities such as Booz Allen Hamilton, Palantir, and much of the federal government; the Justice Department in particular is likely unhappy that our efforts revealed that it was they themselves who recommended the now-discredited “law firm” Hunton & Williams to Bank of America in order that the latter might better be able to fight back against Wikileaks. All of this is now public record, and anyone who finds it laughable that those or other entities may have again engaged in tactics that they are known to have engaged in in the past is not qualified to comment on the situation.
Anonymous will continue its work in support of transparency and individual liberty; our adversaries will continue their work in support of secrecy and control. The FBI will continue to investigate us for crimes of civil disobedience while continuing to ignore the crimes planned by major corporations with which they are in league.
We do not forget, even if others fail to remember.
We not forgive, even if others forgive our enemies for those things for which we are attacked.
We are legion, and will remain so no matter how many of our participants are raided by armed agents of a broken system.
We are Anonymous.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
anon's MO is always announcing their intentions because then if they succeed it seems like they were unstoppable and if they fail "oh they gave them time to prepare." Anonymous just wants attention and these grand, dramatic announcement do just that, regardless of their success. They're like a sixteen year old girl taking off her shirt on webcam.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Thing is, vader's right. I'm not really a fan of Facebook but I will smile on November 5th (assuming they even do it) when Facebook goes back up about a good hour or so after crashing. Given the time between now and the "attack" date, as well as the fact that their after a target that matters to the people but not the governments they claim to be against shows that they are attention hogs.

Here's a thought anonymous, if you can hack facebook and it's selling personal information, how about you take and present that information to the public as to show us that you're not just out for attention with no real power...

I honestly do not care, though I will smile either way, because if they succeed, the rest of the internet will become a shitstorm of gossip considering where they will hit next and how facebook will be reeling from the losses, stupid stuff like that. If nothing happens, the internet will still be alight.

It's just a massive attention-grab for attention-starved people, nothing else. And it's successful no matter how you slice it.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
am i the only one who thinks that a bunch of angry disenfranchised teenagers fucking with the status quo and sticking it to the man is p cool............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)