Another double shooting. No one surprised.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
It’s definitely not the first time but I know what you mean. It absolutely is noteworthy that he had been present at the Vegas shooting only for this to happen.

It turns out the third safest community in the U.S. is not the third safest when it comes to mass shootings. I predict another shooting of this level within the next month.
for the record its not like this is a frequent thing here (i dont think you meant to imply this though, sorry). this is the first time in my lifetime (i've lived here for 21 years) that anything bad has happened here.

im fairly lucky that no one close to me passed in the shooting, although i do recognize two names of kids i went to middle school with. the shooter on the other hand graduated in the same year as my sister, and sat write next to one of her closest friends at the ceremony (both their last names being Long).

i hope none of you have to go through this as well, it really can happen anywhere (in america)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
"Although mental illness is not something so static and contained, and rather has a constellation of elements, at its core is the idea that one’s experience of the world is at odds with society’s expectations of that experience (and that world). Those of us who suffer live with this struggle intimately know the physical and emotional affects of that dissonance.

By contrast, white supremacy and the agents who act on its behalf do not experience dissonance. They are rational actors engaging in rational action within a legitimate system of domination. There is no divergence between individual behavior and societal expectation. They are mutually reinforcing.

Calling white supremacy a mental illness is complete and utter definitional nonsense.

The shooters and associated ideologues do not experience any dissonance, they experience a disconnect from reality.

For all intents and purposes, the shooters are dominant in all the ways they expect: socially, sexually, economically, and politically and the world reaffirms that for them over and over throughout their lives. Fearing that that dominance is under attack does not qualify as a mental illness any more than your average Trump supporter’s beliefs qualifies as one.

If you’re experiencing a failure of social intelligence, does that make you mentally ill? That would mean that children were mostly all mentally ill, and that any especially gullible adults were mentally ill, as opposed to simply harboring hate in their hearts or not being bright enough to parse political information."

I would also point out that mental illness, though portrayed in the media to be associated with violent outbursts, is statistically correlated with being much less likely to harm others and much greater likelyhood of experiencing harm by others.

"Mental illness" is too nebulous a term to ascribe anything to in any meaningful way anyways. It can refer to everything from violent psychopathy to mild depression, and associating such a widely-encompassing term with white supremacy is unproductive and actively harms the 99.99% of people who struggle with a mental illness but don't adopt a hateful ideology and start shooting up schools and shopping malls.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
mental illness is also something that's experienced all over the world and yet the US is the only place with a mass shooting problem

it's a bullshit deflection

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The last time a mass school shooting happened I shit posted in the Wall Street Journal that this would happen again. Well i called it. The current Republican controlled, house, senate, presidency, and judiciary won't do anything about it. They are paid not to do anything about it. What are (You) personally going to do to protect yourself from getting shot?
Marry Japanese and live in Japan...
I didn't start living in Japan because of the problems in the US, but it's awful hard to see how/why I would move back-- and the first and biggest barrier to such a consideration would be, "What do we do about our healthcare?" and then my wife worries, "Where would it be safe to live?" and "How good are the schools there?" My parents are alarmed that I'm such a big Bernie Sanders supporter.

They have to say "bullet resistant" instead of "bulletproof" as they're only rated to stop certain types of bullets. Kevlar excels at stopping relatively large, relatively slow rounds, which generally means handgun-calibre bullets, various types of shotgun ammunition, etc. Rifles usually fire a narrower bullet much at a much higher velocity than a handgun, which kevlar is much less effective at stopping. In order to stop most rifle-calibre rounds, you need hard armor which includes a solid plate of some sort (usually steel or ceramic, sometimes composite materials) combined with a softer material such as kevlar.

That being said, if anyone is seriously considering buying a "bullet resistant backpack" (or a bullet resistant anything for that matter) I would absolutely do some research into the manufacturer first, preferably look for tests of the exact product you're considering buying. A bullet resistant backpack from Walmart may carry a lower price tag, but if it's not actually bullet resistant or only meets the bare minimum standards it needs to call itself bullet resistant, then all you've got is an overpriced regular backpack.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I understand what kevlar is and isn't good at, but it's not clear those are even any good at stopping common handgun rounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)