ORAS Doubles OU Another first team

Timbuktu

get bukt
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't stress enough that I'm very, very new to doubles (like a week I think), but I've been having fun messing around on the ladder a whole lot with some collected sample teams. So I finally decided to experiment with some teambuilding. With some advice from cute user Tape I compiled what little I knew from battling in Smogon Doubles and built my first team (in any tier) in like 6 months...

But anyway, Doubles has been a super fun metagame to play in, and I hope you guys can tell me if I'm heading in the right direction with this team I made. I certainly enjoy using it on the ladder so I hope you enjoy rating it :)

=================================================================

Teambuilding Process

I started with Mega Scizor simply because I saw it as a decent, well-rounded attacker that could set up and has moderate coverage. Other than that it was really the luck of the draw with what I wanted to build off of.

Next comes Aegislash to provide Mega Scizor with Wide Guard support. I did this mainly because of Charizard Y and other Heat Wave abusers, since this seemed like a likely combo that opponents would use Heat Wave on, and Aegislash is obviously a common Wide Guard user.

As for Terrakion, I wanted a Pokemon with decent enough bulk to stop Pokemon like Charizard Y and actually be an answer to these threats.

My team was looking Ground-weak, so I added Rotom-Wash. It also brings a little special offensive presence to balance out the team (kind of).

I still wasn't convinced that my team could handle many offensive Earthquakers at this point, so the rest of my team is immune to ground (and the last three happened to be a fwg core). Talonflame is the fast physical attacker and Skymin was a favorite of mine from the sample teams I used.

In-Depth

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Scizor has proven to be the description I set out for: decent and well-rounded. It has good enough bulk to stick around for a while and Bug Bite + Bullet Punch help me get through annoying Pokemon like Clefable, Amoonguss, Meowstic, etc. The set was directly from the dex analysis so I had no experimentation with it's EV spread. However I did add Protect since it's very useful in Doubles.

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball

Aegislash is a lot more reliable than I expected. The 252 EV investment + Sitrus Berry leaves it on the field for much longer than I anticipate. It serves its job well with Wide Guard, protecting my teammates from Heat Wave, Rock Slide, Equake, etc. The rest is the usual set for Aegislash, King's Shield and two coverage moves. Not as hard-hitting as LO Aegislash but it makes a decent chunk.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Rock Slide

This Terrakion set I made on my own, so I was a bit worried in the process. To my surprise, it can survive hits really nicely. Here's a few calcs that make it worthwhile:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 330-390 (85.4 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion in Sun: 201-237 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 320-380 (82.9 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
136 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 306-362 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 153-183 (39.6 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I sacrifice some of its power, so it's a little on the weak side. Rock Slide is nonetheless a powerful spread move and Close Combat can KO Mega Kangaskhan and other threats. Terrakion is still a speedy Taunt user, so it stops plenty of annoying support mons in their tracks.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom-Wash is my answer to a lot of Pokemon that would otherwise break through this team. Hydro Pump is very reliable, as well as Thunderbolt (more so than Volt Switch). Will-O-Wisp is a wonderful facet, and the longevity from Sitrus Berry means I can pull of WoW with ease. It can take a multitude of attacks so it's easy to switch-in effectively.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

I find that Talonflame fills lots of offensive holes that this team has. Good Fire/Flying coverage (Brave Bird priority) helps me out whether Talon is a lead or part of the end game. It's great for cleanup, revenge kills, and just sheer power. My only concern is that I feel I could have a better moveset. It seems pretty typical, but I find myself without opportunites to set up often, which leads me to believe I can fill Swords Dance's slot with a better move.

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Protect

Skymin is a team favorite of mine. Its almost unparalleled Speed will allow me to flinch almost anything with Air Slash (60% is suprisingly reliable). When coupled with a Rock Slide from Terrakion, it can flinch plenty of times over. Other than that, preserving its Focus Sash can help me out greatly when I'm in need of a quick attacker. Skymin is just so versatile that I'm not afraid to lead with it, send it out, or finish up the end game with it.

That's the end of my experiment. I'm thinking if I had to replace any of these Pokemon it'd probably be Terrakion or Talonflame, even though they are both very useful. Terrakion could be replaced with a bulkier Pokemon, but it is justified by its Speed and coverage. Talonflame wasn't really a major decision I made, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out others can fill its role more effectively. I hope you enjoyed reading this and give it a good rate :)

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Timbuktu! Cool team you have here. I like the way that you built around Mega Scizor, it's one of my favorite megas. However, I think that some of your sets could use some sprucing-up.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard
- Protect

This Talonflame set is a bit more standard, and it might be able to help your team a bit more. Personally, I can never teambuild without a Quick Guard user. Also, 99% of the time, you're going to want to have your Doubles pokemon knowing Protect. It's usually not the best idea to be running two SD users on the same team, especially if you don't have any redirection. I also recommend that you use a max speed Adamant spread instead of Jolly. With that spread, Talon has just enough speed (351 total) to outspeed everything to base 110's. This lets you outspeed and KO max speed Mega Metagross with Flare Blitz. Not just that, but also, Talonflame's Attack stat is really lackluster, so you want to beef it up as much as possible.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Protect

There's not much to say about this change. This EV spread is from the analysis. It has just enough bulk to withstand a Solarbeam from Mega Charizard Y, with the rest invested into SpAtk.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower/Knock Off

I'm tentative about this last recommendation, because I think that your Terrakion set looks neat. However, I do think that Lando-T compliments this team a bit better than Terrakion. Basically, Landorus provides you with an electric immunity, which your team is pretty weak to. You already have a reliable fire-type check (rotom), along with Wide Guard Aegislash, so i dont think that losing another resist would be that big of a deal. Landorus could easily run Earthquake freely most of the time, considering that a lot of your pkmn are immune to ground already. Additionally, Landorus is a more reliable spread attacker than Terrakion imo.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
252 4 lyfe :)
Welcome to dubs! Your mons look okay, but your sets might be a bit outdated.

Honestly, mega scizor is pretty underwhelming right now, with metagross to pass it in speed, power, and bulk. Scizor has priority and sd, just steel bug isn't the best offensive typing. Also, I believe your current spread outspeeds uninvested washtoms, but everyone runs a bit of speed creep, so you get into some nasty business. You might want to just max out your attack and deal with washtom using your partners.

For talonflame, you want to be adamant, as neutral 252 outpspeeds max base 110s, and you have super spammable priority anyway. Tflame isn't the best of mons to run sd on due to its bulk, and two sders on a team isn't the best idea. You might want to replace it with banded or twind talonflame. Twind has life orb with bb, flare blitz/overheat, tailwind, protect. Banded tflame runs bb, flare blitz, u turn, steel wing.

Now that xzern has put in a washtom spread, I believe that's the end of my rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)