VGC Another VGC team

Hello, RMT. This is going to be another VGC team I've tried testing out. I've done significantly more testing with it on both Showdown and Battle Spot than my last team, and it has had a few successes here and there. There are a few matchups, however, that I cannot seem to break through, and I was looking for the insight of others to see how that can be remedied. This RMT will still be terse, but that's only because I want to get this out there as soon as possible so that I can quickly receive feedback and make appropriate changes.

At a glance:

The breakdown:

(Sets are based on my in-game team, hence all the shinies and genders)

Metagross @ Psychium Z
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Protect

This whole team revolves around Psychium Z Metagross and making the most use out of it. Metagross is my favorite non-legendary Pokémon, and given Shattered Psyche's amazing animation and its viability on this Pokémon, I decided to try to make the two work well together. The first two moves are self-explanatory STABs, the second of which is necessary for the item to work. Hammer Arm nabs Steel-types, and Protect is Protect. I forewent running Bullet Punch, as Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain seems to make it largely irrelevant against a number of targets. The EVs are optimized to greatly reduce the chance of an OHKO from Arcanine, and as I have Tailwind support on this team, investing in Speed is largely irrelevant.

Tapu Lele @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Nature's Madness
- Protect

From Metagross's powerful Shattered Psyche, I decided to add Tapu Lele to augment its damage even further with its Terrain. Moonblast and Psychic are obligatory STABs, the latter of which deals tremendous damage on its own in a given terrain. The third moveslot used to possess Thunderbolt to take care of Celesteela, but I decided to try something insane and went with Guardian of Alola. It still deals considerable damage to pretty much anything, no matter how bulky, and that tends to put things in range of a KO from a follow-up Psychic. Modest nature augments the power of its STABs, and speed is taken care of with Tailwind.

Aerodactyl (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop
- Protect

Metagross's speed seemed rather lackluster, so I decided to help it out with Tailwind support from Aerodactyl. Not only does Aerodactyl give Tailwind support, but its access to Sky Drop helps stall out opposing tactics and is a means of circumventing Follow Me. The rest of the moves are rather self-explanatory, with Protect over Wide Guard because I haven't found many uses for Wide Guard, whereas Protect saved me in many a situation. A Jolly nature ensures Aerodactyl moves as soon as possible, and makes it at worst Speed tie opposing Tapu Koko.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Fire Fang

With Aerodactyl on the team, I feel like Choice Scarf Garchomp can put in some nice work, as it's plenty fast both with and without Tailwind, and synergizes well with Aerodactyl and Celesteela. EdgeQuake is a great coverage combo, and Poison Jab hits Fairy-types for good damage. I run Fire Fang over Dragon Claw as I've never really had a use for it, and Fire Fang helps add another means of dealing with Steel-types. With Choice Scarf and potential Tailwind, an Adamant nature helps add to the power of its moves.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 228 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

This thing lives. This thing KOes. There is nothing this bamboo rocket can't do. Heavy Slam hits pretty much anything under 200 kg for very high damage, Flamethrower is a means of dealing with Steel-types, and Leech Seed can slowly whittle down bulky threats while adding to the recovery of Leftovers. The EV spread is a commonly used spread that guarantees an Attack Boost from a KO.

Araquanid (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Araquanid is the last Pokémon on my team, primarily serving as a reliable answer to Fire-types and Celesteela. As I already have 2 Z-moves on the team, I gave the spider a Mystic Water to make its Liquidation stronger. I click Liquidation 95% of the time, but Leech Life is there in case of Gastrodon or a Grass-type that's weak to Bug. Wide Guard helps against spread moves, Protect helps against single-target moves.

And that's pretty much all there is to my team. Let me know what I should change, whether it's a single move or half of my team. I do prefer to keep Psychium Z Metagross on the team, but other than that Pokémon with that item I am willing to change anything. Go nuts!

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-524839099 I know Leech life is for grass types and Pokemon that have abilities making them Immune to water but other than restoring HP Leech life isnt really doing anything but Lunge is a good move for lowering Atk because you don't have a Pokemon with Intimidate

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-524841728 Calc Guardian of Alola and Calc a Moonblast with Farium Z because i dont know what all Guardian of Alola does but Farium Z is likely a better option because i know people use Twinkle Tackle Koko and Lele and sometimes Fini but i have never seen Guardian of Alola do anything

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-524844596 Investing in speed is not irelevant with Tailwind on the team because you will need the investment to out speed something after you get x2 speed or you run into a bad matchup for Aerodactyl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)