Walrus Another Wall Ross Walrus [1st Lebossle, 2nd DLE, 3rd Aladyyn]

Introduction:
In another universe there is a man named ‘Wall Ross’, and he has no idea how to search for his own music. Despite everything that happened last time, he’s still kinda fuzzy on what music is actually, he just knows that he likes it. Anyways, Wall Ross has once again hired me to recommend some songs to him, and because I’m a lazy prick I’ll be subcontracting searching for songs to all of you and just rating them myself. You may think ‘Why don’t you just grab random songs then?’, but you see, Wall Ross is a particular man. He needs songs to fit what he’s currently doing or he won’t be satisfied and I won’t be paid. So I’m going to need you to send in songs fitting certain categories (because, again, this is too much work for me) in order to be rated and forwarded to Wall Ross.

Scoring:
All songs will be scored on a scale of 0.0 to 10.0 points based on how much I liked them and will receive between 0.1 and 2.4 points depending on how well I think it fits the theme, with an extra 0.8 points being awarded to whoever fit the theme the best that category. You can also receive an extra .4 points if the artist is someone I’ve heard of but don’t listen to and .8 points if I’ve never heard of the artist. This bonus will be reduced to zero if I’ve received a submission by this artist in an earlier category in this walrus. This makes for a total maximum score of 14.0 points and a minimum of 0.1 points per round.
Note: Every single player’s lowest category score will be dropped. So if you can’t think of anything for a category then don’t worry, you have one chance to catfail without consequences.

Musical Preferences:
As for genres I hate, I don’t have many (yet, you guys may give me more), but I loathe country and anything that sounds like generic Top 40 pop. Rap is hit or miss, and it tends to miss around twice as often as it hits. I’m open to most genres, but in general I like metal and songs with aggressive instrumentals and/or vocals. Metal, hard rock, drum and bass, neurofunk, complextro, etc.. Screamo is nice as long as it’s not grating. On the more chill side of things EDM like Madeon or Porter Robinson and hip-hop like Nujabes are great. I like Eurobeat and Touhou remixes but I’ve probably heard most of what anyone would send. I doubt anyone will submit vocaloid stuff, but bad vocaloid is very bad. I listen to more music in Japanese than in English but this isn’t a musical taste thing, just hobbies. Music in any language is fine, although I'd greatly prefer if the lyrics are available somewhere.
Banned Artists/Songs:
The banned artists have been massively cut down since last time since I realized it’s pointless to include all of the obscure bullshit only I listen to.
Cake
IOSYS
s3rl
Moe Shop
Nujabes
MAN WITH A MISSION
Trevor Moore
Tenacious D
Ninja Sex Party
Queen
Bon Jovi
Anything submitted to my last walrus that I remember.
Anything I’ve submitted to a past walrus that I remember.
Any of the category examples or anything I’m going to use as a header. (The headers are all the cat titles besides one exception with almost no views, it’s extremely unlikely you’ll send it in by mistake.)

Rules and Misc.
You can message me songs or questions on Kongregate, Mafia Universe, Smogon, or at BLOODY#1832 on discord. You can change your submissions for any category up until three days before the next reveal.
If your song doesn’t fit the category it’s a cat fail. Cat fails don’t get points. If you think your song may be a cat fail, tell me ahead of time so I can check or risk getting told without much time to fix it.
All songs must be submitted in one of three forms: Youtube link; Soundcloud link; or a link to download the song in FLAC, MP3 320, or MP3 V0 format.
I would prefer to have all songs at least three days before each cat's reveal, excluding the first one. Preferably I’d like all songs earlier than that, but that’s the hard deadline.
Almost all of the songs I show as examples I like and fit the category fairly well. The songs for the category titles may or may not fit the category, I just think the titles fit.
There is a hard limit of 20 minutes on the length of any song. Please don’t make it your goal in life to hit this every round.
Yes my scores will be arbitrary for the most part. It’s hard to quantify how much you like a song or set an incredibly consistent scoring system up. Feel free to yell “ROBBED” and such, but song ratings are non-negotiable. It’s for fun, doing well is just a side goal, the scores will reflects my tastes, you get the program.

Categories:

1: Cautionary Warning

Songs with a message for the listener. This message can be information, a command, or an attempt to strongarm you into donating for some charity.
[Wall Ross vows to make sure no one else messes up how he is and starts making videos about how you should make sure you have enough money before traveling and why you should avoid long distance relationships.]
Examples:
Public Service Announcement - S3RL
WORLD ORDER - Have A Nice Day
Band Aid II - Do They Know It's Christmas (Note: I don’t like this song. I don’t think anyone does.)

2: Life Isn’t Fair
Songs about suffering, sadness, or being unlucky. Best theme fit is for when whatever’s happening to them isn’t really their fault- it’s just that life sucks sometimes.
[Wall Ross ultimately fails to gain any traction from his videos and is struggling to find a job in New York City. Now he needs some sad music to wallow in while he makes sure not to get back on his feet.]
Examples:
I Am Jemboy - Runaway Hearts
Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
Anon - Okkusenman

3: Don’t Say “Lazy”
Songs about people getting off their ass and doing something. Whether it’s important to anyone else or just them doesn’t matter, as long as they’re putting effort forward it counts.
[Wall Ross decides to give it his all in order to find a job and keep his head up in New York City. Mainly because if he doesn’t he’ll starve. Give him some songs about working hard, some nice examples to work towards.]
Examples:
Team NEKOKAN - Can't Defeat Airman (10th Anniversary Edition)
Ai Fairouz & Kaito Ishikawa - Onegai Muscle
Devo - Whip It

4: I Just Had Sex
Songs that mention sex, fetishes, genitalia, or physical intimacy. Alternatively, you can give me a safe for work love song if you’re fine with a lower theme score.
[Wall Ross gets laid. All rejoice. Now he needs some music concerning this momentous occassion.]
Examples:
Ninja Sex Party - 6969
Fuck Her Gently - Tenacious D
Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back

5: Black Magic Woman
Songs about magic, the occult, the supernatural,terrifying monsters, and that which can’t be explained with science.
[Wall Ross finds out that the girl he had sex with is a bit…odd. She calls herself a ‘Black Magic Woman’, and is into the occult. Now he wants to learn more about it, and needs songs on the subject.]
Examples:
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Bobby Pickett - Monster Mash
Neil Cicierega - Bustin

6: Generic Holiday Song
Songs based around holidays, festivals, special events, and the like.
[After managing to break up with his weird fling, Wall Ross buries himself in whatever work he can find. One day he’d forced to stop working, and finds out that it’s already Christmas. Unfortunately, all the time in retail has forced him to stop using that word. Uh, it’s GENERIC HOLIDAY now. Yeah, generic holiday. Submit some GENERIC HOLIDAY music that won't get anyone in trouble.]
Examples:
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant
DJ Cummerbund - Time Marches On (For Carol The Bell Tolls)
InanimateMashups - A Very Sicko Christmas

7: Speechless
Instrumentals. Theme score will be an automatic 2.4 for all qualifying submissions, they just can’t have words. If there's one vocal sample in a song I'll probably let it past, but repeated ones are a no-no.
[Since Wall Ross had a day off, he decided to check his personal email. It turned out that Wall Ross was messaged by the people who organized his DJ Gigs when he was getting from Mexico into the US, and they said they’d love him to do a few gigs in New York City for them and then if everything goes well have him release an EP if he wants to make the jump past live gigs. Wall Ross is so shocked by this that he can’t even speak right now. He’s going to need so songs to fit his current, mute, situation.]
Examples:
Orchestr/a/ - Fallen Angel
SilvaGunner (wolfman1405) - World Map
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

8: Countdown
Songs about some sort of deadline, doing things quickly, or being under a lot of pressure all qualify here. Alternatively you can just send a song that fits my subjective bar of ‘really fucking fast’ (ex. A lot of goreshit’s stuff, speedcore, etc.) [Note: This refers to the song going fast, not ending fast (ex. Napalm Death)] and that will fit, albiet with a lower theme score. Tell me if you’re going for this so that I can check the sub.
[After overcoming his shock about the email, Wall Ross realized something. The first gig was supposed to be in a couple of days, and he was way past the deadline for replying. Hopefully he could get it with enough begging, but either way he only had a couple of days to prepare for the first set, and then not long after that to get ready for the next ones. This meant that he had to put his nose to the grindstone and come up with something as soon as possible.]
Examples:
Queen ft. David Bowie - Under Pressure
Cake - The Distance
twenty one pilots - Stressed Out
goreshit - burn this moment into the retina of my eye [Example of what fits under the ‘really fucking fast' clause]

9: Bad
Anything music qualifies for this cat, meaning the theme score will be 2.4 for everything. The twist is that the scoring is inverted. The more I hate a song the better it’ll score.
[Wall Ross managed to get through the first few gigs unscathed after pulling a few all-nighters and quitting his part-time job, and now talk about that EP is coming up. Wall Ross wants to start writing a few songs for it, but to help educate himself, he wants to listen to some bad songs first. A lot of bad songs. Really bad songs.]
Examples:
Faux Knee Jerks - Bus, Bike, Pastrami, and One Hot Chick
??? - "DESPACITO pizza version.. Haha..pizzacito..it's too much funny.. Most watched and viewed by pouples."
viper - you'll cowards don't even smoke crack

10: No Title
Songs about words/phrases, languages, writing, names, titles, or a person/organization/place with a specific name or title. Yes, this is vague, and I will try to be lenient.
[Wall Ross managed to get through the first few gigs unscathed after pulling a few all-nighters and quitting his part-time job, and now they want him to come up with a few songs for an EP. He managed to write some of the melodies without much trouble, but can’t think of a title. Or lyrics. The whole ‘words’ thing is a bit hard. Now Wall Ross needs some songs to help with that.]
Examples:
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Word Crimes
Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny
Hallelujah - Pentatonix
They Might Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

11: Celebration
Songs to party to or celebratory tunes.
[Wall Ross managed to successfully finish the songs, tided through the next few gigs, and is hosting a party in celebration of getting the chance to pitch an EP to a decently-sized studio. Now he just needs some music to put on the playlist.]
Examples:
Queen - We Are The Champions
s3rl - Ravers MashUp
NoteBlock - Mr. Krabs Rave

THE FIRST CAT WILL BE REVEALED ON THE 29TH, AND SIGNUPS WILL END THE DAY PRIOR

1. BrainpanSonata (the artist formerly known as KnightsOfCydonia) [Kongregate]
2. Lebossle [Kongregate]
3. shubaka17 [Smogon]
4. Robert Alfons [Smogon]
5. Aladyyn [Smogon]
6. Isa [Smogon]
7. DLE [Smogon]
8. Energy [Smogon]
9. gbsfranca [MU]
10. nutella [MU]
11. LordQuas [MU]
12. Moose [MU]
13. iaafr [MU]
14. nikeas/catgode [Kongregate/MU]
15. dobby [MU]
16. RaceBandit [Kongregate]

Last edited:
Category 1: Cautionary Warning
Header:

Cautionary Warning by John Sykes
Emo Boy by Ayesha Erotica
I hate that I have to give you points for this. It does though, uh, in fact, have a message for the listener. An extremely clear one. You were almost the theme winner but I thankfully realized that the emo boy in question wasn't the listener. Still, it definitely works.
Total: 2.5 Rating + 2.1 theme + .8 bonus = 5.4 points
Submitted by termi
The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens (In Minor Key)
I've never been a fan of the song to begin with, and the occasional weird, scratchy notes in this version don't help. The message isn't really something to interpret for the viewer as it's directed towards a character in the song as has no real meaning, but hey, maybe it's used in Africa to indicate when lions are sleeping, who knows.
Total: 5.6 rating + .1 theme + .4 bonus = 6.1 points
Submitted by Moose
Don't Call Me White by NOFX
Despite the instruments seeming active, they seem pretty generic at the same time, if that makes sense. Like, similar to every song from this genre, although I'm not sure if I know the proper name for it? 90s-esque alt rock? Grunge? I don't really like the vocalist, but a couple times I can hear some real energy in his voice. Overall it's alright, kinda generic. The theme was very clear though.
Total: 6.0 Rating + 2.3 theme + .8 bonus = 9.1 points
Submitted by gbsfranca
Panama by Quinn XCII
The main vocalist seems a little too sanitized top 40 for me, but I really like the "oooh" chants in the background and some of the other vocal samples. Instrumental is eh too for most of the song, but when it picks up and adds the synths it's cool. It's fine, jumps up to good occasionally. Theme isn't very apparent here but I can see how you'd sub it. It seems more like a way for him to process his grandparents' death than any sort of message specifically for the listener though. Not that I dislike the lyrics, they're nice.
Total: 6.6 rating + .8 theme + .8 bonus = 8.2 points
Submitted by Energy
House of the Rising Sun covered by Jeremy Renner
I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the original version, but this has its own appeal. The backing is pretty active and the singer here has his own unique cadence compared to The Animals.
Total: 7.2 rating + 1.8 theme +.4 bonus = 9.4 points
Submitted by BrainpanSonata
Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales by Car Seat Headrest
I don't listen to much of what I term the 'White guy with an acoustic guitar' genre, but this is pretty good. Meaningful lyrics, it picks up during some of the parts, and I like the occasional subtle synths.
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 bonus = 10.3 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl
The Warning by Hot Chip
This is pretty chill but not boring. The instrumental is interesting enough to keep my engaged and I really like how it varies towards the end. Don't like or dislike the vocals, but they fit well with the track. Also, I'm pretty sure this is a chill version of Momma Said Knock You Out. Except Hot Chip is far more thirsty for blood, and plans to go much further than knocking me out. I fear Hot Chip.
Total: 7.5 Rating + 2.2 theme + .8 bonus = 10.5 points
Submitted by iaafr
Come to the Sabbath by Mercyful Faith
The instrumental is pretty dope and there's some hit licks here, but one of the vocalists is taking me out of it a bit. You got the one cool, deeper vocalist, and then when the other one goes to the high end of his vocal range I just break down laughing. It's not that big a deal, but I had to mention it.
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 bonus = 10.4 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

Last edited:
No Growing (Exegesis) by The Olivia Tremor Control
The stereo effects on this are really trippy, wow. I don't think I like them, but it's definitely interesting and I can't really knock it beyond personal taste. The style reminds me of older rock, like 60s stuff. Theme isn't as strong as most of the others but I got it after a couple readthroughs, it's there. This was originally rated lower but after giving it another listen it started growing on me, I think this has jumped, like, half a point.
Total: 7.7 rating + 1.5 theme + .8 bonus = 10.0 points
Submitted by Isa
Stick To Your Guns by Watsky ft. Julia Nunes
Yeah, the media deserve to be made fun of for their behavior during shootings and more or less every disaster, this song is very fair in that regard. Was neutral towards Watsky before, but I guess he grew on me after Brainpan ran, y'know, an entire Watsky-themed walrus.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.9 theme + .0 bonus = 9.7 points
Submitted by Phighter
Uprising by Muse
I've listened to Knights of Cydonia a lot since it's on Guitar Hero III, but I don't think I've gone out of my way to listen to Muse anywhere besides that. That's why I'll give it .4 for the bonus- any listening to them I've done is coincidental and probably Brainpan's walris' fault. Anyways, onto the song. Vocalist is pretty unique, fits the background well. Not exactly my wheelhouse but I can rock to it. Something something agree with the lyrics don't put me on more watchlists NSA.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.1 theme + .4 bonus= 10.3 points
Submitted by RaceBandit
You Don't Have to be a Prostitute by Flight of the Conchords
Oh man, I just started listening to these guys a couple days before you sent your sub, that timing. Anyways, this song has taught me a valuable lesson, and I will stop prostituting myself to get through uni. Turns out no one wanted to hire me anyways. Also, Flight of the Conchords sound surprisingly good for a funny music group even if I feel it's carried by the comedy.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.2 theme + .0 bonus = 10.3 points
Submitted by Dobby
Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It by Stars
At first I expected this to be a kinda generic indie thing, but then the instrumental started kicking in. It has a real kick to it. The vocalist is alright during most of the verses, but that flotier voice he does is when I really dig it.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 bonus = 11.2 points
Submitted by Nutella
Still Alive by J.Y. Park
This was a triumph. I'm making a note here- "HUGE SUCCESS". Whoops, wrong 'Still Alive.' Anyways, I think this song can be summed up as 'Local Superstar Flexes on Entire Entertainment Industry'- not that I dislike that, it actually reminds me of the MC my favorite webnovel, which I read religiously before the Chinese government told the author 'no' and it was put on hiatus forever. As for the song itself, I like how active it is, especially the horn section. Can't help but groove to it.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 bonus= 11.5 points
Submitted by Shubaka17
Free the Robots by Capital STEEZ
This song manages to be chill and rather harsh at the same time. This reminds me of *Signs* by *Nujabes*. The hook is cool, and I'm really digging the organs in the back. Overall I'm enjoying it way more than I initially expected to.
Total: 8.5 rating + 1.6 theme + .8 bonus = 10.9 points
Submitted by LordQuas
Exit by Jean-Michel Jarre and Edward Snowden
I really dig this beat, it gets me moving. Was wondering if the theme would just be the video at first, but then suddenly Edward Snowden himself going on about privacy. I'm just gonna use that 'bop' word people use here. It's a bop. I have to admit the spoken word section takes you out of it a bit in repeated listens, but since privacy is one of the few issues I care strongly about it makes me care less when I listen to it.
Total: 8.7 rating + 3.1 theme + .8 bonus = 12.6 points
Submitted by Lebossle
Closer:
My PSA by Trevor Moore

Our current standings are:

and the next category is Life Isn't Fair, which will be revealed on January 5th, 4 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
Life Isn't Fair by Trevor Moore

...And Keep Reaching For Those Stars by I Hate Myself
I really don't like this singer. I'm not sure how to describe his voice except "whiney" and it gets on my nerves. The instrumental is ok, but it really doesn't make up for the vocals. It gets a little better at the end with the instrumental kicking up and the slightly improved singing.
Total: 4.5 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 bonus = 7.2 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

It Happens by Sugarland
Oh, so I'm not the only person who says "wally world". This feels like a regional thing but I'm too lazy to check. Anyways, I don't like country, this doesn't really change that. I'm not going to say it's objectively bad or anything because it's not, but I actively dislike this. It happens.
Total: 4.9 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 bonus = 8.0 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd vs. Gary Come Home from Spongebob, mashed up by William Maranci
This honestly isn't that bad, but the vocals/instrumental are a bit too jarring combined and that drags it down a bit. Oh, and the burps. The burps take me out of it. Anyways, uh, fuck you Spongebob, life is extremely fair here, you didn't feed your damn pet. I'll report you to animal control you damn snail abuser.
Total: 6.7 rating + 1.4 theme + .0 bonus = 8.1 points
Submitted by Moose

Song for the Painter by Lost in the Trees
The guitar feels a little repetitive and the singer doesn't have much impact. Still, the vocalist occasionally channels a bit of emotion and the instrumental picks up later on. Overall it's ok.
Total: 6.8 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 bonus = 9.6 points
Submitted by Dobby

We Know from Hamilton
Are you really Brainpan, you seem to have subbed directly from his strike zone twice in a row. Anyways, I've never really liked the Hamilton stuff, the instrumentals are kindia basic and it feels like the talking interrupts the flow a little bit. It's fine. Oh, and Hamilton, you had an affair, I wouldn't say you're completely innocent here.
Total: 6.8 rating + 1.5 theme + .4 bonus = 8.7 points
Submitted by Phighter

Ghost Ship in a Storm by Jim O'Rourke
There's not a ton to say about this, but overall it's very chill and I like that. I don't think it ventures into 'so chill it's dull territory', and it's similar to music I might put on the background.
Total: 7.2 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 bonus = 10.1 points
Submitted by termi

8:08 by Laura Stevenson
The instrumental and the voice are usually rather subdued, although at some point they both pick up, which I appreciate. I feel like I should like the vocals, but overall I'm neutral towards them. My favorite part is probably the instrumental solo near the end and the occasional strings..
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 bonus = 9.9 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

Glass House by Machine Gun Kelly
I don't like the male guest vocalist very much, but Machine Gun Kelly's rap verses are really good. The beat is pretty solid and stays fresh enough with the effects and the surprise string section.
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 bonus = 10.4 points
Submitted by Energy

Last edited:
Money by The Drums
Ah yes, the greatest injustice of all. Being fucking broke. Pretty subdued but I like how the vocalist changes his voice up during the chorus and whatever instrument is going "DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH" is pretty cool.
Total: 7.7 rating + .8 theme + .8 bonus = 9.3 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

Happier by Guster
I was actually listening to your first sub when you changed songs. Liked it more [it hit 8.0], but this is a better catfit. My favorite part is when the vocals layer over each other.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 bonus = 10.4 points
Submitted by iaafr

My Immortal by Evanescence
This seems significantly better than the fanfiction of the same name. Anyways, I've heard Bring Me To Life a lot, but I don't think I've heard much else by Evanescence. The singer has a nice voice and this is calmer than I expected. I enjoy how it picks up at the 2/3rds mark.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.9 theme + .4 bonus = 10.1 points
Submitted by Lebossle

Nothing is Fair by Trevor Sensor
I was about to rob this, it took me a couple times to get used enough to vocalist to appreciate the emotion he had going. The guitar work isn't super complex but it's a pretty fitting backing, and the vocals, while kinda unorthodox, work. A good showing from the 'white guys with acoustic guitars' team.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 bonus = 11.0 points
Submitted by Nutella

Karma by AJR
Not a big fan of the singer, but the instrumental for this is great and I like the lyrics themselves, so it's not a huge deal. This really cuts at the point of the cat, that life just isn't fair most of the time, and there isn't really karma.
Total: 8.3 rating + 3.2 theme + .8 bonus = 12.3 points
Submitted by Shubaka17

Human Being by Blind Seagull
It's very hard for me to judge the theme on this because I don't speak Russian nor Latin(?), and I can find lyrics nowhere despite my persistence. Fortunately the song is kinda sad sounding, and upon watching the video I have found my catfit. Upon looking at this band, I'm 99% they've never heard of the idea of fun based on their expressions. Plus, like, they look emo, and emo people are depressed, right? [CITATION NEEDED] Most importantly, focus on the accordion player. He looks the saddest of them all, despite playing his accordion, his one true love. Since I don't even heard an accordian in the track, my theory is that he's sad because despite leaving home and playing on the streets to spread his love of the accordian to all, he was picked up by 'some fucking emo pricks' (quoted from imaginary thoughts of accordion man) and forced to play it for their stupid music video because they thought it'd look cool. After recording was done he wasn't even given the meager cash he was promised and the band threw him out like a broken plaything, his love for the accordion left unexpressed and his dreams unfulfilled. As he prepares to sleep that night a part in the accordion breaks due to wear from the video, and since he was stiffed on the pay for the video there's no hope to repair the instrument. Since he has no applicable skills besides playing the accordion, he is now doomed to starve to death. He sheds a single tear as the last light of hope inside him dies.
Of course my story deserves to be the theme winner, as once understood it has the possibility to be as sad and deadly as 'Gloomy Sunday', but unfortunately that's not what we're grading.
Total: 8.4 rating + .6 theme + .8 bonus = 9.9 points
Submitted by LordQuas
https://i.imgur.com/FiMH0ZE.png
https://i.imgur.com/zW6ghaf.png
https://i.imgur.com/zUnGRnU.png

The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra by Anna von Hausswolff
``This instrumental has some real tension and impact, I like it. Wasn't a huge fan of the vocals on first listen but I like how they seemed to become desperate towards the end, especially the wailing and other noises she made.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 bonus = 11.5 points
Submitted by Isa

Lake Pontchartrain by Ludo
'The inflection sung on the word Missouri makes it also sound like the word "misery."' Why you gotta do me like that Ludo, our state isn't that bad. Anyways, ignoring Ludo's veiled dislike for my state, there's the song itself to look at. It goes way harder than I was expecting, both in terms of instrumental and vocals. Really solid. Overall it teaches us a nice lesson- don't each crawfish or you die. Briefly considered giving this a 9, but unlike the Cake situation where it was a hard decision, here I feel it'd be unfair. Very solid 8, but I'm not gonna start crawling through the artist's discography immediately. In fact, this was originally rated lower, but it turned out to be too much of an ear worm- I've probably listened to it 10 times as of this writing.
Total: 8.9 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 bonus = 11.8 points
"The song is about your friends getting eaten by a fuckin' lake"

Closer:
Rainbow Girl by Anonymous

Our current standings are:

shubaka, Lebossle, and Nutella make for a stable top three, while Isa and Brainpan chase up to them from the middle ranks. Get ready to break a sweat with Don't Say Lazy on January 9th, 4 PM CST. Submissions are due by January 8th, 4 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
Don't Say Lazy covered by Ayaponzu

American Dream by MKTO
This sounds a lot like what I would hear on the mall speakers while standing around and trying to find a shirt. I generally don't like "finding a shirt at the mall" music. Overall it's super Top 40 poppy, and I'm just not a fan of the genre. Not offensively bad, not good.
Total: 5.0 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 7.8 points
Submitted by Energy

Just Do It by schmoyoho ft. Shia LaBeouf
I didn't think I'd be listening to a song where Shia LaBeouf self-pleasured himself using a watermelon today, but hey, life doesn't often go as planned. But yeah, I've heard a few of the songify this things in the past, they're usually a nice chuckle even if I don't really like them. JUST DO IT!! Is one of the first things that probably comes to mind this cat, hence the theme score.
Total: 7.0 rating + 2.3 theme + .0 artist = 9.3 points
Submitted by Racebandit

If You Give A Little Love by Noah and the Whale
I guess the part that's supposed to point to the theme here is to give a little love? I'm not really sure? There's also "And you do (what you love)" but ehhhhh? I honestly considered catfailing this the second time I listened to it but I guess it can fit? The song is alright, vocals are pretty smooth and the instrumental build up is neat.
Total: 7.2 rating + .1 theme + .8 artist = 8.1 points
Submitted by Dobby

Throw It All Away by Heigo Tani/Fumi Kumatani from the Sonic Adventure 2 OST
MY NAME IS SHADOW THE EDGEHOG AND I'M HERE TO PROVIDE FAMILY FRIENDLY CONTENT AND SHOOT GUNS, AND I'M ALL OUT OF FAMILY FRIENDLY CONTENT. Anyways, uh, ignoring the source of the song, it's fine. It honestly got kinda boring to me but the beat is pretty cool.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 10.1 points
Submitted by iaafr

Macho Man by The Village People
The vast majority of this song doesn't live up to the chorus, but man, that's one hell of a chorus. Now I wanna be a MACHO **MACHO** MAN, YEAH! Overall decent, but I wish it was even campier, because as it is it's kinda hard to make it through the whole thing. Like, that's the appeal, go all out with it. When I listen to music like this I want it to be so campy that I'm suddenly in an episode Man vs. Wild, setting up base camp while wearing a Devo hat.
Edit: On a second listen through I've appreciated some of the camp I didn't notice before (ie. MACHO BODY MACHO BODY). Rating adjusted appropriately.
Total: 7.4 rating + 1.9 theme + .4 artist = 9.7 points
Submitted by Phighter

Travel by Bol4
I wouldn't say this song gives off the most productive vibe in the world, but hey, a goal's a goal. The song doesn't really stand out to me but it is pretty fun sounding. You warned me about Engrish beforehand, but c'mon, Engrish is fun. Not that it would have affected the score, but I was hoping for worse. Oh, and to continue a running gag from last walrus:
Fly Away count: 5
They said it, you heard them, my running joke from the flight category is back! Although admittedly last time I was counting the number of songs with Fly Away as the title, if we go solely by lyrics I might have hit double digits...
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.4 theme + .8 artist = 9.8 points
Submitted by Shubaka17

SexyBack vs. Home Depot by Evan Haines
I don't sense that Justin is giving his all towards it, but fuck, I guess he's bringing sexy back. Seems more like an outlet for his sexual frustration than a real effort, but y'know, whatever works for you man. Maybe I'm underthinking it and this is all a calculated ploy so that he can successfully bring sexy back. I'm certainly not doing it, so I'll leave it up to the professionals. Anyways, what were we talking about? The song? Yeah, the song is neat, the instrumental carries it. I vaguely recognize it from TV but I don't think I've ever heard it in full. This probably gets more points than it deserves because it's catchy and has become progressively funnier every single time I listen to it. The first listen didn't amuse me at all, but now I'm struggling not to laugh.
Total: 7.7 Rating + 1.5 theme + .8 artist = 10.0 points
Submitted by Moose

Jailbreak the Tesla by Injury Reserve ft. Aminé
Initially I started grading your Cat 4 sub for this cat. It actually seemed like a good catfit, but unfortunately you'll all have to wait a week to hear it. As for this song, the beat is pretty damn sick, I like the car noises. I'm not sure if it's a goal, but now I know how to get a Tesla.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.5 theme + .8 bonus = 10.1 points
Submitted by LordQuas

Last edited:
Rise by Riot Games(?) ft. The Glitch Mob, Mako, and The Word Alive
This song would be really good for a Viagra commercial. RISE! RISE! RISE! Anyways, I wouldn't say this is normally my style of electronic but it gets me pumped up and ready to RISE! RISE! RISE!
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 11.1 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

Race For The Prize by The Flaming Lips
This is really chill and I dig the subtle distortion effects. There's not much else I can say that stands out, but it's all around a solid track. I can see myself just sitting back and jamming to this.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 11.1 points
Submitted by Isa

Moral of the Story by Watsky
Ok, ok, I'll get off my ass Watsky, I get it. I'll try to avoid my hands going numb though, last time that happened, it took a few months to fix. I kinda need those for my future job of professionally typing on a keyboard all day. Watsky's rapping is pretty good as always and the repetition of work (work) (work) is dope. Anyways, this has been this category's 'Phighter or Brainpan', we'll see you again next cat.
Total: 8.1 rating + 3.2 theme + .0 artist = 11.3 points

stupid horse by 100 gecs
I feel like I wasn't supposed to like this, but I did. Vocals are a bit too high-pitched but I don't really mind, the beat is great. As for that theme, there's not really a central goal but the singer is definitely doing something. There's also the "HORDE GOGOGOGO" stuff. I kinda get it. Oh, on a final note the 'woooOOOOOOOOOooo' was annoying. Fuck the whoo.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.2 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

Get Your Fight On by The Prodigy
This sick beat definitely gives you some motivation, specially combined with the lyrics.Time to get your fight on. I like the lighter section towards the end, gave it some variety when it was at risk of getting stale.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.1 theme + .0 artist = 10.6 points
Submitted by Lebossle

Reaching for the Night by Satan's Hollow
The vocals and the instrumental both go pretty hard and I dig them. My favorite part is probably the guitar solo near the end. Not too much to say about this besides that, it successfully achieves its goal of making me want to rock out.
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 11.5 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

The Great Unknown by Jukebox the Ghost
I really like the vocals and the buildup here. It starts pretty subdued and then by the end you need to LET GOOOOO, OF YOUR WORLD YOU KNOW, THERE'S SOMETHING WAITING FOR YA' IN THE GREAT UNKNOWNNNNN. Anyways, it's a banger except it doesn't go bang, if that makes sense.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist= 11.5 points
Submitted by nutella

Start the Riot by Atari Teenage Riot (LOUD Remasters)
Note to self: Give everyone a volume warning before you play this. Anyways, wasn't sure if I'd like this at first, but once the beat really kicked in I knew I would. This backing fucking rocks. I feel like I wouldn't like the vocals much outside of this, but they go really well with the ridiculously aggressive backing. My only real quibble is the vocal samples at the end, this song could've ended about 20 seconds earlier than it did.
Total: 9.3 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 12.1 points
Submitted by termi

Closer:
CLOSER by Joe Inoue

With all the hard work we did this cat, our standings have changed to: (With the lowest score now dropped)

With this reveal AND the dropped score to account for, shubaka keeps their lead in first, while Brainpan rushes up to tie with Lebossle for second. Our other big movers are termi and DaLetterEl, who rush up nine and five places, respectively, from near the bottom of the pack.
We'll get down and dirty with Category 4: I Just Had Sex on January 14th, 4 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
I Just Had Sex by The Lonely Island
Just a note ahead of time, uh, this is actually the first time in two walruses it has been impossible for me to choose a theme winner for the cat. It felt unfair to give the bonus to someone when there where so many songs that felt roughly equal, so I just gave an extra .2 to anyone who would have gotten a 2.4 and an extra .1 to anyone who would've gotten 2.3 That adds an extra .8 to the total scores, so it's effectively just the theme winner bonus spread among more people.

16th:
Ice Age by Denzel Curry
I mean, the beat was pretty cool at the start. But then they started rapping. And the beat got stale. It seems we've reconfirmed a discovery from last walrus- I'm usually not a fan of "look how much pussy I get" rap. This was a pretty cool line though:
Blow up the pussy like Hussein
Bitch look at me crazy like, "Who sane?" (What?)
Total: 5.3 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 8.3 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

15th:
Ain't That A Kick In The Head by Dean Martin
Hello, this is the wasteland radio speaking, and today we'll be revealing the fourth category of The Strip's new walrus. Anyways, the song is fine, but I'm not sure how much I can like it after hours... and hours... and hours of playing New Vegas. Like, I might say some songs are overplayed, but even when I say that about a song I've probably heard this 10 times more. The nostalgia was nice, but please get it away from me now that I've heard it again. I don't want to hear it again unless it means I'm playing New Vegas once more.
Tdlr; I want to like this song but fuck, I can't anymore.
Total: 5.9 rating + 1.5 theme + .0 artist = 7.4 points
Submitted by Phighter

14th:
My Neck, My Back by Khia
I've never actually heard the original before, just a lot of meme remixes. As for the original, uh... it's honestly better than I expected. Like, it's not great and it gets kinda repetitive, but I thought I'd hate this and I don't.
Total: 6.6 rating + 2.4 theme + .4 artist = 9.4 points
Submitted by Lebossle

13th:
Ram Ranch by Rick Astley
I mean, the vocal mixing isn't exactly pleasing to the ears, but Never Gonna Give You Up is still Never Gonna Give You Up and if you have me mildly chuckling while listening to a good instrumental I'll consider it good music. Still, I feel like I'm mildly reverse-robbing it because I shouldn't consider this 'good', so I'll borrow a line from shub here and move it down by .1 - "Meme song, meme score".
Total: 6.9 rating + 2.5 theme + .4 artist = 9.8 points
Submitted by Moose

12th:
Love Me Better by Love Thy Brother ft. Ariel Beesley
The instrumental isn't bad but these aren't the kind of vocals I really like and it's a bit too Top 40 sounding for me to really dig. Still, its sound is kinda cool and it's also not exactly Top 40, so it hits good.
Total: 7.0 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 9.7 points
Submitted by shubaka17

11th:
From Eden by Hozier
More of a love song than anything, but that was allowed per the prompt, although it got a lower theme score. There might have been a couple of veiled mentions in there, like with the sin and all that. This is pretty smooth listen and I like the singer. Backing is a bit generic but fitting.
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.5 theme + .8 artist = 9.6 points
Submitted by Energy

10th:
Sex Beat by The Gun Club
Doesn't really stand out, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't dig this style of guitar/vocals a little bit. Pretty good.
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by Isa

9th
Jag Kommer by Veronica Maggio
From the video's description: 'I was going to make an amv with this music, but unfortunately I got tired of this song after I became done with this video, so I won't do any amv with this one.' AMV MUSIC?! HOW DARE YOU SEND ME THIS ANIME MUSIC DOBBY, YOU FUCKIN' HYPOCRITE. I bet this is just Japanese music pretending to be Swedish, like with Carmelldansen. Anyways, now that I'm done taking the shit, uh, this is pretty good. Pretty catchy and the "I'M COMING, I'M COMING, I'M COMING" innuendo made me smile, intended or not.
Total: 7.5 rating + 1.6 theme + .8 artist = 9.9 points
Submitted by Dobby

8th:
Vacation Bible School by Ayesha Erotica
I think there are car noises. As per Jailbreak the Tesla last cat, I still like car noises apparently. The more synth-y vocals are interesting and the beat is pretty cool. Pretty good song all around.
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.1 theme + .0 artist = 9.8 points
Submitted by termi

7th:
Do It Again by Kelela
The electronic beats are pretty cool and the song has a whole ominous vibe that I dig. Like, I dunno, the person fucking you is a serial killer and that we're going to have a mid-coitus murder scene
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 10.7 points
Submitted by iaafr

6th:
Business Time by Flight of the Conchords
Let's get down to business. BUSINESS TIME. Put on those walrus grading socks, the groovy music, adjust the movement of my head ever so slightly and enter 'boogiemode'. This song is smooth, and sensual- just like the lyrics. I would say more, but business hours are over.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.5 theme + .0 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by LordQuas

5th:
Going Down by Watsky
The weird horn/animal sounds in the background are great and the strings that kick in when the PENIS PENIS ON THE WALL WITH WELL-PROPORTIONED BALLLLSSS are hilarious. The song overall made me laugh but is still very good as a not for laughs song, as it is partially intended to be.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.6 theme + .0 artist = 10.5 points

4th:
Gallery Piece by of Montreal
This is pretty chill, but I want to dance a little bit nonetheless. It feels like a contradiction in logic, but I don't care, chill grooving time.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 10.7 points
Submitted by Nutella

3rd:
Gangbang At The Old Folks Home by Steel Panther
Man, this rocks. AND it makes me laugh. I'm truly blessed by Steel Panther's combination of sick guitar and funny lyrics. Reminds of Tenacious D.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.6 theme + .0 artist = 11.1 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

2nd:
Untitled (How Does It Feel) by D'angelo
The vocals fit really well for this sorta song and those are some nice guitar licks. Plus, fuck, this guy has some lungs on him, he can belt those lyrics out. I don't get down and dirty, but if I did this is the sorta music you can get down and dirty to. Well, if you don't get distracted in the middle and decide to just listen to the music instead, which is a distinct possibility given how great a listen this is.
Submitted by DaLetterEl

1st:
Butts Tits Money by KNOWER
We got butts, tits, and possibly some prostitution. Check check and check for the catfit. Anyways, the beat on this is pretty damn sick if I say so myself, and the mixing is really cool on this. I can dance to this, fuck yeah.
Total: 8.8 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 11.4 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

Closer:
Viva Pussy by phantom
Thank Lebossle for causing me to change the closer to this. I'm sure you'll all enjoy it.

Now Brainpan and Nutella are duking it out for first, pushing shubaka and Lebossle down in the process. At the same time the scores separate into a few distinct groups, namely 1st - 7th, 8th - 11th, and 13th - 16th. Each group is separated by more points than the top person in the group is from the bottom. In the middle of these groups we have dobby, who could rise up into the second group soon.
On January 19th, 3 PM CST, we'll get our wooden stakes and silver bullets ready for Category 5: Black Magic Woman, before switching them out for more festive items and enjoying Category 6: Generic Holiday Song. Subs for both cats are due on the 17th. The double reveal is because I want to get more reveals out of the way before classes start a couple days after the reveal, reveals will probably slow down to once a week or less afterwards.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:
Header:
Black Magic Woman by Santana
Oh yeah, for anyone was salty at my theme scores, I'm probably still weighting them too high because they differ more than the ratings have in this walrus specifically. I feel like we had more 6s and stuff last walrus and this would've made more sense given the same subs. I'm not going to change the rules after the walrus has already started, but when I release the scores for Cat 11 I'll release the official placements and what it would like if I did some balance changes. Quas, you specifically will probably enjoy that scoreboard. Oh, and the amount I give for 'theme winner' is was a bad idea. It's a cool incentive, but I feel like it's really overtuned. My theme scores I go 'hm, this should probably weight a bit less?', but theme winner is definitely changing if I host another walrus in a year or three.
Edit: I actually looked at the scoreboard with the changes I had in mind, and the only changes were Brainpan dropping by five spots and one pair of players swapping with each other. Apparently it doesn't matter that much.

16th:
4'33 performed by John Cage
Wow, this is some advanced musical taste, nice.
Total: No sub
Submitted by Energy

15th:
Magic Arrow by Timber Timbre
A little boring to be honest. Like, it's kinda cool at first, but I feel like the song doesn't go anywhere and doesn't get me excited. I'd like it with some more action or variation, but as it's just fine.
Total: 6.7 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 9.4 points
Submitted by nutella

14th:
Burn The Witch by Queens Of The Stone Age
So, I was grading this song and then took a look at the video. Oh my god, the video is glorious, although I don't grade based on that. As for the song itself, it's honestly a little boring. It's not bad, it just doesn't stand out at all to me. It's kind of like when I listen to K-hits 96 or whatever and it'll play some 'big 80s hit' and I'm wondering "Did anyone really listen to this?". I feel like I'm being rude spending that many sentences on that but, uh, it was hard to describe exactly what I meant. Anyways, it's not bad.
Total: 7.0 rating + 1.9 theme + .4 artist = 9.3 points

13th:
SANSBUSTERS by Ontopic
The addition of Megalovania does very little for me here until a couple minutes in. Then there's a pretty cool part with the Sans-synth or whatever it's more appropriate to call it. Bustin' would've done better, but I guess that's a bit overdone. Oh yeah, -.1 for the loud 'SANS UNDERTALE' at the end.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.1 theme + .4 artist = 9.8 points
Submitted by Moose

12th:
Geórgia, a Carniceira by Ave Sangria
I probably missed the subtleties from google translate, but I did get the gist of the lyrics. Spooky. This is pretty cool. A weird, kinda psychedelic sound and lyrics that are a language away from anything I've heard before. (I'm familiar with Spanish accents/music, this, not so much.) This music seems to paint a very vivid picture of where it could be playing just be the sound alone, and I appreciate that. Real distinctive.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.4 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

11th:
Kill V. Maim by Grimes
I feel like the lyrics don't communicate the artist's vision of 'Godfather genderbender vampire' very well, but hey, it's the artist's vision, whatever. I originally thought this was a little too poppy, but y'know, it is kinda unique. Weird sorta nightcored vocals, the beat isn't tediously generic, and there's half-screaming at some points. Not gonna listen to it on my own time, but it's pretty neat!
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 10.2 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

10th:
The Sorcerer by Chevalier
Spooky sorcerer heals a man's wounds and sets the plot moving. Thank you sorcerer, for serving the purpose of most sorcerers in old fantasy novels and giving the main character a reason to fight. Without discount Gandalfs like yourself we'd never see the plot move forward. As for the song itself the vocals sound a little weird imo but it's pretty solid listen. I was thinking that maybe it could use a little more variance, but then it switched into a guitar solo, which was nice. But then the guitar solo ended just as it was getting good. Ups and downs and all that.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.2 theme+ .8 artist = 10.8 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

9th:
I Walk On Guilded Splinters by Dr. John
It's hard to describe what exactly I like about this, but it's cool. If I had to describe the track I'd call it 'menacing'. Like he's gonna try and voodoo you too. Oh, and maybe this goes on a little too long. Doesn't bother me too much though, I'm used to long songs.
FINAL NOTE: It just ended and my right ear feels violated by the ending.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.7 points
Submitted by termi and Isa

7th:
Superstition by Stevie Wonder
Someone else might take off points specifically because it's really popular but hey, it's not overplayed for me so I don't mind. A funky beat and Stevie on vocals adds up to a solid track.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.2 theme + .0 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by Phighter

6th:
Wendigo by FORTERESSE
At first I was wondering whether this was supposed to be a catfit just from the name, but fortunately I was able to find the lyrics. I figured it'd be one of the 'no, no, you aren't really saying words, we can pretend though' situations, and it was. There's some pretty cool growling and I like the guitar, but this doesn't have a ton of variation so, while it's fairly cool, I feel like it could be more. As it is this is just something I put on in the background and study to or something. On that note, man, I should never have a study cat. Besides the fact that it's a bit overdone, you would all be so confused by what fit it and what doesn't. For the reference, yes, this would fit it.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 11.1 points
Submitted by LordQuas

5th:
Jag är en vampyr by Markus Krunegård
smh, stop with the anime music you swedeaboo. Anyways, uh, this ended up being cooler than I initially expected. I normally prefer more impactful stuff but I dig this. Reminds me of some 80s new wave band except, like, not super cheesy. As for the catfit, uh, I think he's metaphorically a vampire but he's doing a good job at fitting the stereotype. Also, as of my last time rating this I may be reverse robbing it by a couple of places, but it's a bit of an earworm and I'm digging it right now.
Total: 8.2 rating + 1.6 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 points
Submitted by dobby

4th:
Your Soul Will Never Be Released by REZZ x Sayer
I gotta admit, the vocals spooked me a tiny bit on first listen. Was 3 AM and figured I'd finish judging the cat before I went to sleep. Anyways, the bass on this is great and this reminds me of some of the good neurofunk stuff I've listened to. I dig it. I feel like it ended kinda early, but oh well, I guess not every electronic/metal track has to go for six or seven minutes. As for the theme, kinda lyric-lite, but this track really hits the feel of some brain-melting alien trying to capture your soul.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.7 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 total
Submitted by iaafr

3rd:
Clear Tamei by Igloo Ghost
So a guy sings in a made up language about his made up species of weird alien things that his has a little mythos about. Cool, I can dig it. These are some cool wubs wubs and I like how it goes back and forth between being ambient and more active throughout the song. The combination of the mythos and the made up language stuff really gets me into it, so this'll get theme winner.
Total: 8.5 rating + 3.1 theme + .8 artist = 12.4 points
Submitted by Lebossle

2nd:
Aladdin by WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA
Concepts for a song that I wouldn't expect to be good: "Hey, I combined Aladdin with an ad for bowling ball polish." And then suddenly the music video takes a tab of acid and goes crazy towards the end. Anyways, the vocals and instrumental go really well together and it makes for an electronic track that I can groove to and that's pretty chill. Nice.
Total: 8.8 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 11.4 points
Submitted by shubaka

1st:
Ethereality by DM Ashura vs. Sanxion7
The beat on this is sicker than an island full of lepers, goddamn. The weird stringy-sounding synths, the way the vocals are mixed, everything just comes together into an awesome mix. I'm definitely gonna look into these artists further.
Total: 9.1 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 11.8 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

Closer:
The Legend Of Wooley Swamp by The Charlie Daniels Band
This is one of the maybe five country songs I like. Gaze in awe at this rare sight.

After exploring the supernatural Lebossle and shubaka shoot back into 1st and 2nd, while our joint firsts Brainpan and nutella drop down to 6th and 3rd. Meanwhile, after two consecutive firsts RaceBandit shoots up from near the bottom all the way to 8th, beginning to threaten those at the top. Find out what happens next time on **January 25th, 3 PM CST** when we'll get festive for Category 6: Generic Holiday Song.

Last edited:
Header:
Generic Holiday Song by s3rl ft. sara

15th:
Christmas Wrapping by The Spice Girls
I assumed I'd hate anything by The Spice Girls as they are some super big pop group. I hate this less than expected.
Edit: I'm quickly hating this the more I listen to it, in the process of grading this has dropped rapidly. I can't get through this a second time.
Total: 4.0 rating + 2.1 theme + .4 artist = 6.5 points
Submitted by iaafr

14th:
Happy Holidays, You Bastard by blink-182
I actually like blink-182 but, uh, this doesn't sound like the blink-182 I listen to. Like, I don't mind the subject matter, I just feel like the more popular songs were better polished. I guess that's what you get what from joke songs though. I appreciate the variety of holidays, we got Christmas AND Labor Day, really going around the block on this one.
Total: 6.1 rating + 2.2 theme + .0 artist = 8.3 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

13th:
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Kermit the Frog
I've heard other songs by Kermit so, uh, I guess I'll put it the artist at half. No idea if they're even the same Kermits, but they sound like it. Anyways, this isn't, like, great or anything, but it's definitely tolerable. Sounds Christmasy, is Christmasy, so we've fit the theme well.
Total: 6.3 rating + 2.2 theme + .4 artist = 8.9 points
Submitted by Phighter

12th:
Jingle Bombs by Jeff Dunham
Gotta say Ahkmed doesn't have a very pleasant singing voice. The guitar is passable. I've seen some of the Jeff Dunham specials years and years ago, but I either didn't know or forgot he did music. I can see why I would. The guitar licks are pretty neat though.
Total: 6.5 rating + 2.0 theme + .4 artist = 9.0 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

11th:
MF Grinch by MF DOOM X Cookin Soul
This is a cool beat. Not sure about the rapper, but eh, he's fine. Grinch best singer tho.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by LordQuas

10th:
Walpurgisnacht by FAUN
Oh man, finally, I was waiting for a Walpurgis song, it's the best holiday. Overall the track is pretty folky(?) (I hope that's the right word), and interesting to listen to. The general sound also meshes well with the subject matter.
Total: 7.4 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

9th:
Fairytale of New York by The Pogues
The main singer's voice took a while to grow on me, it, uh, is different if nothing else.
Submitted by DaLetterEl

8th:
Thank God It's Not Christmas by Sparks
The vocals are kinda weird imo but I'm a fan. I'm not sure what to say about this song besides that it sounds like some classic rock song that didn't make it big but that I dig it anyways.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 10.5 points
Submitted by Isa

7th:
Warmth in Winter by Cold Weather Company
I'm grading this pretty early on and I have a feeling this is going to be a very chill cat, both in the cold sense and the relaxing one. The jingles in the background and the subtle yule log stuff I heard a couple times are particularly relaxing, and the choir is nice as well. Not great but I enjoyed it.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 10.6 points
Submitted by nutella

6th:
Day of the Dead by Voltaire
This song is really fun. Kinda cheesy vocals, those cool mexican horns, and lyrics that are a pretty silly. The sound matches the lyrics really well. Now I want to go down to Mexico and practice my Spanish with the skeletons for a while.
Total: 7.8 rating + 3.1 theme + .8 artist = 11.7 points
Submitted by BraipanSonata

5th:
christmas isn't real by Bill Wurtz
This guy did full songs too? Neat. This is honestly much more pleasant to listen to than I expected. Not anything that's gonna grab me enough to shove it on my playlist, but it's pretty solid overall. Although it's a bit trippy. Or, uh, maybe more than a bit.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 11.0 points
Submitted by Lebossle

4th:
All I Want For Christmas Is (Youuuuuu) by Original Bread
Ah yes, I'm quite familiar with this song. It's one of the better ones, but for some reason it never gets any radio play.
Total: 8.1 rating + 2.1 theme + .0 artist = 10.2 points
Submitted by Moose

3rd:
The Day The "Conducator" Died (An Xmas Song) by Scott Walker
Oh man, I love Nicolae Ceau?escu execution day. The nice Christmasty jingles also help remind us that, yes, this is a dark and haunting 'Christmas' track. It also fits the "special events" part of the cat description, so guess we got a two-fer-one. Anyways, the vocals and the instrumental fit really well together and I'm impressed how haunting everything sounds. This is really cool.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.2 theme + .0 artist = 10.5 points
Submitted by termi

2nd:
The Carol by Loona
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOOOUUUUU (OOH) (OOH) (OOH) BABY. This is honestly a really pleasant listen, the singing is well-polished and it manages to be pleasantly Christmasty without digging up my PTSD from being forced to listen to the radio while it plays Christmas music during my commute three months out of the year.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 11.3 points
Submitted by shubaka17

1st:
Snow by Sleeping At Last
This is really chill and the singer is very pleasant to listen to. Overall not a ton that I can say stands out, but it makes for a relaxing listen.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 11.4 points
Submitted by Dobby

Night of Fire (Christmas Mix) by Niko

After celebrating Lunar New Year Brainpan enters the Top 4 again, trying to take back his spot in 1st. Meanwhile dobby finally moves up past the bottom group, which is full of shakeups.
The next reveal will be Category 7: Speechless on February 1st, 4 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
Speechless by s3rl
Fun fact: The header is a catfail! The name was accurate though.

15th:
Barbossa is Hungry by Klaus Badelt
CAPTIN', THERE'S A SEA MONSTER NEARBY! NO, NO, WE DON'T SEE IT, BUT WE HEAR THE ORCHESTRA! QUICK, QUICK, PADDLE! TO THE BOW! TO THE STARBOARD! TO THE PLANK! YAARRRRRR! Overall sounds a lot like, well, a lot of similar tracks, but I can enjoy this kind of thing.
Edit: To be honest it's very neat but kinda generic because I feel like I've heard a dozen tracks just like this.
Total: 7.1 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 total
Submitted by Phighter

14th:
Gånglåt från Valhallavägen by Kvartetten som sprängde
The opening part really reminds me of Black Magic Woman but with bells and stuff over it. After that it's very, uh, chill for this kind of track. Overall some really nice guitar licks. Feels like it drags for way too long though.
Total: 7.2 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.4 total
Submitted by Isa

13th:
I Don't Think About You Anymore, But I Don't Think About You Anyless by Hungry Ghosts
Very wui wui Frenchy sounding. I appreciate that this was pretty chill, but it felt kinda like background music more than listening music. Probably would've done significantly better with more obvious variation.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.5 total
Submitted by nutella

12th:
OMNIA Medley by OMNIA
Fantasy video game music except better for the most part. I wouldn't say I dig it but it's pretty nice and I would really appreciate it if I was in the middle of a D&D session or some other fantasy tabletop. This has been noted down for if I ever GM. Well, when I ever GM, I'll get around to eventually but it may be a long time.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.7 total
Submitted by Aladyyn

11th:
Double Helix by Sithu Aye
I thought this would be pretty cool but then we got the skippy effects, and then the bouncing between each earbud for a sec and it got really neat. Then it went away for most of the song. I still liked it but I'm disappointed that there wasn't more of that throughout.
Total: 7.8 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.0 total
Submitted by shubaka17

10th:
Death By Villager by ranzamu yuki
I don't know why I enjoy this so much. It's probably just the nice Death By Glamour arrange combined with the shitposting.
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.2 total
Submitted by Moose

9th:
Rerezzed by The Glitch Mob
I'm not sure what to do with the artist here because they were on that RISE track but I have no idea if they were the main artist, but I've heard their 7 Nations Army thing besides that and basically that's it so uhhh let's make it half. Anyways, the beat feels a little repetitive but it is pretty cool overall so I don't particularly mind. Kinda synthy but doesn't go all the way, which is neat. If you asked me to guess where the original was from I might've been able to figure it out even though I haven't seen Tron.
Total: 8.2 rating + 2.4 theme + .4 artist = 11.0 total
Submitted by Lebossle

8th:
Laundry by ediT
More ambient than most of what was subbed but the beat keeps my interest. I really started getting into the feeling partway through but then I lost it. Basically I really like it but I'm not able to really feel it for more than a little bit which is unfortunate.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.5 total
Submitted by iaafr

7th:
Meditational Field by Susumu Hirasawa
I liked Paprika and have listened to its soundtrack front to back. I was actually going to send Parade to gbsrus, but then I switched it because I thought he thought it might not be a good catfit. Oh yeah, on that note, anybody who wants to stick around later can listen to Parade with me. Fun. Anyways, what I'm saying is that Paprika has a good, sorta trippy, OST, and that this is from that OST and I've liked it for some time.
Total: 8.4 rating + 2.4 theme + .0 artist = 10.8 total
Submitted by Dobby

6th:
闇風 by 403 Forbiddena
This sounds kinda low-quality and it bothers me but despite finding out four albums on their discography and having three of them available, I couldn't figure out what album this was from. Maybe it's a single. It's frustrating, but anyways, this is still awesome. The shamisen solo is really cool and it reminds me of Galneryus. This would probably be better with whatever cheesy lyrics they usually have, but, uh, that'd be a catfail. Gotta look these guys up later though.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.7 total
Submitted by RaceBandit

5th:
Gleam by Sevish
This is trippy. Me likey. Me likey a lot. I haven't heard much like this and it feels like an entire subgenre rabbit hole I need to jump down.
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.7 total
Submitted by LordQuas

4th:
Beyond Raging Waves by DJ Krush
Oh boy, ominous shamisen noises, I didn't know I needed this until now but I do. The beat overall is really well constructed but that shamisen is really the highlight here, the artist is beating it like it owes them money.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.8 total
Submitted by termi

3rd:
The Computers Stopped Exchanging Information by The Newfound Interest In Conneticut
At the very start I was conflicted because, y'know, shitty garage band but also very cool atmosphere. Once the guitar kicked in I wasn't really conflicted anymore but I kind missed the feeling of imminent doom from the first part. But fortunately the vibe is still pretty doomy. And now I'm at the middle of the song and it is extremely doomy. I'm digging this.
Total: 8.7 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.8 total
Submitted by DaLetterEl

2nd:
Breath of the Night by Osamu Kitajima
This song seems like an answer to the prompt "What theme song would I have if I was a ninja, but also liked grooving to freeform jazz?" This is really cool and makes me groove.
Total: 8.8 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 12.0 total

1st:
Get Out by Dance With The Dead
Oh man, this shreds immediately, nice. The mix between synth and metal is really cool, it gets me headbanging a little bit, and I'm gonna have to check these guys out.
Total: 8.9 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 12.1 total
Submitted by gbsfranca

Closer:
Rosewood by CHON

Today we sat down, shut up and listened to some instruments. Mostly shamisens, but whatever, instruments are instruments. Here's how that changed the scores:

Brainpan slips back into third, DLE and termi make a coordinated push upwards, and gbsfranca beats up a Moose. Find out what happens when we run out of time during Category 8: Countdown. The reveal will be February 8th, 4 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
Countdown by Nakuru Aitsuki

15th:
Five Minutes To Midnight by Boys Like Girls
I hate the singing on this. This reminds me of the kind of music you might hear on, like, a Disney Channel original movie. It's not objectively bad per say, it's just really really not my thing. The instrumental is fine, fitting I guess.
Total: 3.9 rating + 1.7 theme + .8 artist = 6.4 points
Submitted by shubaka17

14th:
Bikeage by Descendents
It feels very generic and part of a genre I'm not really a fan of. It's not terrible but it's not something I'd listen to myself.
Total: 6.1 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 8.9 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

13th:
VERY fast Andre smithing at incredible hihg speed by Limit Breakers
H-HAYAI. I've seen this before but its been so long I forgot it existed, this was a pleasant dose of nostalgia. Anyways, lovely shitpost, not as lovely as music. Still, uh, it does make me laugh my ass off so I can't rob it too much. It also captures the "fast as fuck" alternate sub condition very well, and if that was the main theme and not an alternate option this would score really high on that.
EDIT: Wait, it also captures 'doing things quickly'. Yeah, boosting the theme.
Total: 6.5 rating + 2.2 theme + .0 artist = 8.8 points
Submitted by Moose

12th:
The World Was Wide Enough from Hamilton
Oh, it is a literal countdown. To a possible death. Pressure, deadlines, yeah, this captures the theme really, really well. I still don't like Hamilton music but, uh, I can appreciate the catfit. Oh, and the story is cool too. With those two things combined while I don't, like, actually enjoy this music much, I can't rob it too hard.
Total: 6.9 rating + 3.2 theme + .0 artist = 10.1 points
Submitted by Phighter

11th:
Too Late by Wire
I figured out what the vocals would sound like right after the instrumental started. Then the vocals were even more of what I thought than I imagined possible and I opened up the lyrics in another tab and confirmed that it wasn't in Welsh or something. Anyways, the guitar line is kinda interesting, the vocals aren't really my thing but I don't mind them. Overall it's alright, the guitar is what keeps me invested but it wasn't that great.
Total: 7.2 rating + 1.7 theme + .8 artist = 9.7 points
Submitted by termi

10th:
Youth Of America by Wipers
Felt kinda bland the first time around but I feel like I enjoyed it more the second listen. Once again more background music than listening music, but, uh, I just graded this song while taking care of some menial tasks and applying for a thing so that didn't matter too much.
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 10.0 points
Submitted by Isa

9th:
Hysteria by Muse
smh, it's the famous idol group muse, I told you to stop sending anime Dobby. Wait a minute, this doesn't sound like Snow Halation, nevermind. Anyways, uh, onto the song we're actually listening to. Muse vocals are fine and the guitar licks are fairly interesting, but at this point I feel like the Muse songs are blending together a bit. It's fine, nothing special but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a solid track.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.1 theme + .0 artist = 9.4 points
Submitted by Dobby

8th:
Open Your Heart by Crush 40
This isn't bad. These vocals are pretty nice and the guitar isn't exceptional but it's not bad either. Not Escape From The City tier, but good for Sonic music.
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 10.2 points
Submitted by iaafr

7th:
Panic Button by Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown
The guitar lick on this feels like something I've heard before but I don't really mind, it's pretty cool. Actually, that's true for a lot of this song- it feels like this is probably really, really common for indie rock or whatever but I honestly don't care that much, it sounds cool.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 10.5 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

6th:
The Final Countdown covered by Caleb Hyles and Jonathan Young
This is cheesy as all hell. I like it! I'm not sure if I'd normally go 'yeah, this is metal', but I mean, it does go harder than the original. I was mostly focusing on the cheesy synths but the guitar solo stuff is cool too.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 points

5th:
One Minute To Midnight by Justice
I get the symbolism in the title and it gives off the correct vibe for that so, uh, theme fit is fine. I personally like my stuff a little harder but the synths were cool! Kinda reminds me of those synthwave videos with the video of a guy driving down the highway in that regard.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 points
Submitted by LordQuas

4th:
Stress by Justice
Yeah, I'd say this is pretty stressful. I feel like this is the remix of some movie theme, the one where the chick died in the shower. American Psycho maybe? Anyways, sick beat and some cool noises, overall a great song to be chased by a murderer down a dark alley to.
Total: 8.4 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 11.0 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

3rd:
Majora's Wrath by Theophany
You're making me really anxious strings. Stop that strings. Oh no, don't get the rest of the choir in on it too. Oh no. Anyways, Majora's Mask is all about a deadline, we have the clock noises, and this is giving me peak anxiety vibes, good job making an instrumental catfit. As for the song itself, it has a little too much going on but that's also the good part and what builds the atmosphere.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 11.6 points
Submitted by nutella

2nd:
Nightfall by Idle Hands
These vocals seem very cheesy. These vocals are also great, partially on account of that. As for the instrumental it's pretty smooth sounding and I really like the drums on the track and how it all comes together. And for the lyrics we got something which seems kinda like the 'give me your firstborn I am spooky demon urghblurghblurgh', pretty cool catfit. All around really solid.
Submitted by Aladyyn

1st:
ULTRAnumb by Blue Stahli
Not really much to say about the instrumental besides that it is BLOODYcore sounding, it goes hard, I like it. Really good song, vocals fit into my niche and I really like when the effects start showing up on them. Gonna have to check this artist out, this is really good even if others may think it sounds too edgy.
Edit: I've heard Shotgun Senorita by them but I had no idea it was by them, so full artist bonus stays. Without this sub I would've just not remembered they existed.
Total: 9.0 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 11.9 points
Submitted by Lebossle

Closer:
Unnamed(?) Eminem x Psycho-Pass mashup by Swordy

Today we all had listened to some music and had a mini-anxiety attack before we realized that no, we didn't have any deadlines we forgot about. Well, hopefully at least, maybe you should doublecheck.

The scores settle down now that we're in the final stretch, but still have a couple swings; LordQuas moves up into 7th, while nutella ties shubaka for the bronze. Find out what happens next time in what will definitely be the most interesting reveal we've had, if nothing else:
Category 9: Bad reveals on February 15th at 2 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
Beat It covered by Dr. KC

15th:
MEGALOVANIA but beats 2 and 4 are in B minor
This version is very wonky but, I mean, it is still Megalovania no matter what you do to it. And that means it'll sound pretty ok no matter what you do to it. Well, unless you make it earrape, then you might get me.
Total: 3.5 rating + 2.4 theme + .4 artist = 6.3 points
Submitted by Moose

14th:
We Wanted Change by Corey Feldman
His singing isn't good but come on man, he's trying. This makes me feel happy inside even if his singing is kinda shit. Overall a very mediocre experience but not particularly bad.
Total: 3.8 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 7.1 points
Submitted by LordQuas

13th:
Stomach Song by Broken Social Scene
Honestly this would be a pretty cool experimental track if we didn't have the singers just talking over the song. Like, I'd probably appreciate the instrumental version of this enough to get a 7. Although in that case there wouldn't be much variation, so maybe not.
Edit: Yeah, second listen around, it's just kinda boring.
Total:4.1 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 7.4 points
Submitted by iaafr

12th:
Wings On My Penis by Die Antwoord
So, musically this is pretty garbage and at first I was like 'child, please stop singing about your penis'. But then the talk about him drawing penises everywhere got to me and I started laughing and if I'm laughing I can't hate it too much. Go on penis boy, draw your dicks for the amusement of others.
Total: 4.5 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 7.7 points
Submitted by Phighter

11th:
Chacarron by Elco Chombo (Backwards)
I'm laughing too much to say that I hate this. Like, I objectively wouldn't listen to this in full more than the one time I have and enjoy it this much, but it's far too entertaining for what it is. I don't know why stupid shit like this makes me laugh so much, but it does. I'm hunched over laughing right now. The rating it's getting is based on the fact that objectively it has zero replay value and that I would soon grow to hate it, but this would score decently for a comedy cat. You would've scored better with it forwards.
Total: 5.1 rating + 2.4 theme + .4 artist = 7.9 points

10th:
Angelic 2 The Core by Corey Feldman
This intro is killing me, my sides. Afterwards it's still kind of fun but these vocals are far more shit than the first Corey Feldman song and the mixing is more frustrating to listen to. I would rather not have listened to this with the painful everything after the intro.
Total: 6.0 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 9.2 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

9th:
Scene Girlz by Brokencyde
This isn't the same brand of intentionally horribly bad as the rest, but it is bad. It sounds like a shitty imitation of Top 40 pop club music which I already hate, the beat is extremely generic, and the singer needs to get a day job. The screaming itself doesn't particularly bother me because I listen to a lot of metal with screaming, but it's not good screaming. Also, wait, why do the commenters actually like this? It's not ironic? Fuck.
Total: 6.7 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 9.9 points

8th:
Chinese Food by Alison Gold
Oh no. I think I heard someone complain about this song years and years ago but the song disappeared from my notice after some point. Seeing it again feels like a fever dream. I'd like to thank the black guy in the panda costume for making the second half of the song a bit more tolerable.
Total: 7.2 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by nutella

7th:
MINE DIAMONDS but it's even more earrape than last one by Nutshaq
Moose tried to send the original in, but we already had that last walrus. Fortunately for you, the earrape edition is different. And worse. Oh, much worse. The first five seconds sound like a cool breakcore beat but then it becomes recognizable as take on me. This could be worse than it was, but it feels like it levels out for some reason instead of fully raping my ears. Like, it's still very annoying, but editor, come on, you could've done better.
Edit: Much like the other earrape, I find it that it has become far more grating towards the end. This will receive a bit of a boost.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.4 theme + .4 artist = 10.1 points
Submitted by Lebossle

6th:
i turned a bad copypasta into a bad rap by senzawa
Also titled as "this is why god abandoned us by some demon" by shubaka. This, uh, it doesn't seem the peak of bad musically, but it makes me distinctly uncomfortable listening to it and that demands a certain merit. Like, dakooters or nyanners can shitpost and I'll usually laugh, but here it's just making me very uncomfortable. So yeah, uh, you subbed the right song of this ""genre"", if it was pomf pomf or something I'd just be laughing my ass off and if I laugh my ass off I don't score it very low.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.4 theme + .4 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by shubaka17

5th:
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Full Album) (Nightcored)
At first, I was neutral towards this. I didn't like it, but I could just kinda ignore it. But it turns out that over six minutes it gets rather grating. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is grating enough to make me hate it.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.9 points
Submitted by DLE

4th:
Plná ta?ka hulení by CHlaPiKsXiCHteMWlKa
This is some impressive level of musical inability. It doesn't make my ears hurt or make me uncomfortable like some of the others, but this piano and drum loop is just so inept, and the whispering czech teenager sounds really annoying. Overall it gets on my nerves but more than anything just makes me admire how bad it is. Anyways, uh, 'enjoy' this Czech boy's story about being harassed for his full bag of weed that he doesn't have.
Total: 7.9 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.1 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

3rd:
Schizophrenia by Brokencyde
When it said 'I hope you like screamo' at the start I went 'Eh, I'm fine with that' but this is just shit. The screaming is shit, the backing is shit, the lyrics are shit. It is finely marinated shit. As a result I've been thoroughly irritated by said shit. Side note: 'And I and I and I' sounded like something very different but, uh, you do you Brokencyde.
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 11.2 points

2nd:
Mom's Spaghetti (Earrape edition) by Eminem
I honestly underestimated how bad this could be. "Just turn your headphones down" I thought to myself. How foolish I was. Even with the volume down this bursts through my headset, quietly threatening to ruin my bass. I'm typing all of these comments out as I listen to the songs, because I don't want to listen to any of these songs multiple times, and fuck, I hate this more than I thought. Please stop already.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.4 theme + .0 artist = 10.7 points

1st:
Night T4 by The Gerogerigegege
This makes me viscerally uncomfortable while listening to it. Every time I thought 'The "song" has to be over', another plop sounded out and I realized that it was nowhere near over yet. I never want to listen to it again, but I will listen to it during the reveal as an encouragement for the rest of you not mute your headset. I hate this. A lot. Good job.
Note: At one point I was going to listen to this again to figure out the exact rating it deserved. I immediately decided that was a bad idea, dreading the thought of listening to this again, and quickly bumped the rating up.
Total: 10.0 rating + 2.4 theme + .8 artist = 13.2 points
Submitted by termi

Closer:
Rather Be by Krafty Key

And with this... taxing reveal, the scores have a shakeup. termi shits his way into third with a perfect score, and we have some smaller movement across the middle of the board. There's still some room for shakeups, so stay tuned for Category 11: No Title on February 22nd, 2 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
No Title by Reol

15th:
Mr. Brightside But It's The Hannah Montana Theme Song by William Maranci
It was only a mix. (It was only a mix) How'd it end up like this? It's the worst of both worlds.
Total: 4.3 rating + 1.8 theme + .4 artist = 6.5 points
Submitted by Moose

14th:
Heartaches By The Numbers by Guy Mitchell
Much like the other song from the New Vegas OST, I've, uh, heard this a lot. A whole lot. Fortunately it has managed to dig into my mind slightly less, but I still can't really enjoy it. On the other hand, I also didn't originally like it as much as Ain't It A Kick In The Head, hence the lower score.
Total: 4.9 rating + 2.0 theme + .0 artist = 6.9 points
Submitted by Phighter

13th:
A Hundred Words You Could Say Instead Of Swag by Watsky
Not a big fan of Ride Wit Me but it's not bad. Also not a big fan of the lyrics here and... most of the song really. It's not really bad, not really my thing though. It feels repetitive, the lyrics aren't great, and the beat/lyrics don't fit together properly. Weakest Watsky sub so far, the high point here is Ride Wit Me
Total: 5.6 rating + 2.3 theme + .0 artist = 7.9 points

12th:
Hamzabon by Nooshafarin
We got the book of love, the language of love, yada yada yada, catfit, sure. As for the song itself, uh, I know it's not in Italian but it sounds similar to me. So I'm just going to describe listening to the song as 'sitting in an Italian restaurant waiting for your food'. Not bad, nice horns, vocals are fine but not really my style. Overstayed its welcome by a little bit but eh.
Total: 7.2 rating + 1.8 theme + .8 artist = 9.8 points
Submitted by shubaka17

11th:
Lake Michigan by Rogue Wave
Some pretty inoffensive rock. I wouldn't say there's anything that stands out in particular to me but it's alright, I could chill to this.
Total: 7.3 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 10.2 points
Submitted by Dobby

10th:
Buchstabe by Knorkator
I'd be lying if I said (PFT) over and over was musically pleasing, but the song is still alright as per the instrumental and nice german man yelling at me. The topic of the song is this nice German man lecturing us on his new letter, the fart noise you hear over and over. Focuses on language, a specific phrase, and many other deep lingual concepts. And it farts at me. Theme winner.
Total: 7.4 rating + 3.2 theme + .8 artist = 11.4 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

9th:
Makeshift Swahili by This Heat
Pretty cool, the vocalist does some wacky stuff and the instrumental is grating in a good way. Nothing that makes it stand out as awesome to me but I liked it.
Submitted by termi

8th:
Song for Myla Goldberg (from Her Majesty) by The Decemberists
Pretty similar to Dobby's sub- calm, inoffensive rock. Not a ton to say besides that I expected this to sound much more British and I'm kinda glad it isn't. The vocalist is kinda cool, especially doing the New York part.
Total: 7.5 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 10.5 points
Submitted by nutella

7th:
Mandatory Bedrest by Made Out Of Babies
The backing is pretty cool, big fan of the guitar. Not sure how I feel about the vocalist but I guess they're all right, they fit with the track. Could do with a bit more variation but overall a good track with a nice instrumental.
Total: 7.6 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

6th:
Frankie M by Swans
Takes until about 14 minutes to show up but lots of repetition, the name is the focus, catfit checks out. As for the song itself, very atmospheric but not really something I'd want to listen to on its own. As background music it works fine though, varies up enough not to be super boring and lets you zone out from the music and do whatever. You accidentally broke the time limit but since it was by under a minute I won't complain (especially since this was one of the last songs I graded and I don't have time to).
Total: 7.6 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 10.9 points
Submitted by Isa

5th:
Sun by Caribou
Sun sun sun. Sun? Sun sun sun! Sun sun. Whoops, still had the human to sun translator on. Anyways, pretty chill electronic track. I like how the sun and the instrumentals complement each other. (Instrumental) Variation is a plus too.
Total: 7.7 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

4th:
Miracle Man by Oliver Tree
I expected to like this less than I did but the beat was pretty cool and went well with the singer. Not sure if I'd put it on my playlist or not but I can dig this, it's really solid.
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

3rd:
Roy's Son by Sonny Stitt & Oscar Peterson Trio (Live At The Newport Jazz Festival, 1957)
This is really nice, I like it. Really smooth overall and the variation that seems more or less inherent to this kind of jazz is pretty cool. Now, you may be asking- is it really a catfit if it's just the title? Well, I said I'd be lenient and that holds.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.4 theme + .8 artist = 10.3 points
Submitted by LordQuas

2nd:
Mike, Aaron & Eddie remixed by Boreta
Fuck, those stereo effects at the start are dope. Beat is pretty breakcore-esque but slower and the rappers' flow is pretty good too. I dig this.
Total: 8.8 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 11.9 points
Submitted by Lebossle

1st:
Mad remixed by Blastoyz
Oh man, this is really cool. The sample feels really fitting for the track and the beat is pretty sick all things considered. Lots of variation, I could listen to this track a few times without getting bored. I like the more subdued part that starts around three minutes in preparing for the next drop and now I'm probably just ranting but yeah, really cool!
Total: 8.9 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 12.0 points
Submitted by iaafr

Closer
I Don't Need Any Titles To This Song! by Foreground Eclipse

In our second to last reveal termi pulls up to 2nd and DaLetterEl bursts onto the podium, leaving a trail of destruction behind him. Find out about any last minute shake-ups in our last reveal: Category 11: Celebration on March 7th, 2 PM CST.

Last edited:
Header:
Celebration by Kool & The Gang
I'd like to thank everyone for participating and/or attending the reveals. Let's all have a good time and celebrate, whether you've been robbed or not, and enjoy the last reveal.
(Also, if I robbed you sorry. If you got robbed by overweighted theme stuff, double sorry.)

15th:
Epic Win by Underwaterbeats
The beat is pretty standard but I like it. Still, that beat is all the song really is- it's kinda generic and doesn't vary much. It's alright but very boring.
Total: 6.6 rating + 1.7 theme + .8 artist = 9.1 points
Submitted by RaceBandit

14th:
Movin' On Up by Primal Scream
Not really my sound but it's happy-sounding and the lyrics are real hopeful. Fits the cat well and it's not bad by any means, just kinda representative of the music playing in my dad's truck that I didn't like enough to remember. My favorite part would probably be the guitar.
Total: 6.7 rating + 2.0 theme + .8 artist = 9.5 points
Submitted by Isa

13th:
Starships by Nicki Minaj (Pachelbel Canon in "D" Version)
Oh god, this is so silly, my sides. That drop sounded ridiculous. This doesn't rape my ears and gives me a good laugh, thanks moose. Music might not be the best for partying now but hey, we make sacrifices so that a full orchestra can play it.
Total: 7.3 rating + 1.7 theme + .4 artist = 9.4 points
Submitted Moose

12th:
Dancing Shoes by Arctic Monkeys
I could have sworn I recognize this band name but I can't tie any knowledge down to the band so, uh, full artist bonus. The song isn't really my style but it's good, nice guitar licks and the singer has a cool voice. I will waive the two minutes of silence at the end since I think no one was expected to listen to that just because of a shitty joke based around the "waiting and waiting" lyric.
Total: 7.4 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 10.1 points
Submitted by Dobby

11th:
Dog Days by Florence + The Machine
Not what I was thinking of when I made the category but it's definitely a celebratory tune. I really like the singer on this track and the instrumental doesn't stand out but it's nice. The ending in particular was nice, very feel good.
Submitted by Phighter

10th:
Time Traveling by Shinichiro Yokota
Really chill tune, this seems like a good fit for the happy closing credits that would play after you beat some videogame.
Total: 7.8 rating + 1.9 theme + .8 artist = 10.5 points
Submitted by termi

9th:
Winner by Pet Shop Boys
Reminds me of 'We Are The Champions' lyrically but sounds a lot more modern. I like the band's sound, the vocalist doesn't stand out much but they're solid and the backing is really relaxing. Pretty solid.
Total: 7.9 rating + 3.1 theme + .8 artist = 11.0 points
Submitted by gbsfranca

8th:
Time Of Our Life by DAY6
More of a love song first before anything else, but hey, I like it. Really feelgood sound and I can get into the lyrics when I forget that they're probably assuming I'm a teenage girl they need to make swoon. Or an old grandpa they're trying to make swoon. We don't discriminate here at BLOODY(TM)corp.
Total: 8.0 rating + 2.1 theme + .8 artist = 10.9 points
Submitted by shubaka17

7th:
4h30 by Danger
Sounds more like a fighting theme than something to party to but hey, I guess I can see it playing at a rave. Be careful in the mosh pit everyone.
Total: 8.1 rating + 1.7 theme + .8 artist = 10.6 points
Submitted by LordQuas

6th:
Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry
Play that funky music BLOODYBOT! We're gonna all start dancin', and movin', and something something to the groovin'. Time to lay down that boogie and lay down that music until the bot dies. [I originally had something other than shitposting here but you all know the song, the song is good, what else is there to say.]
Total: 8.2 Rating + 2.2 theme + .0 artist = 10.4 points
Submitted by Brainpan

5th:
Robinson by Spitz
I wouldn't say that the lyrics are particularly celebratory but they aren't sad if you consider everything put together so I guess I'll just go neutral on that. The song itself is relaxing during the calmer portions and makes you happy during the choruses. I wouldn't say it fits what I was thinking of the cat but it makes me happy and I get what you were going for. As for the song itself, I really like the singer. They have a pretty good range.
Total: 8.3 rating + 1.7 theme + .8 artist = 10.8 points
Submitted by iaafr

4th:
The End by Our Time ft. Kurt Mantheiy
Oh, thanks, this is appropriate. Maybe not for the category specifically, just for the last cat of the walrus. This song has a good beat and really makes me want to get up and groove. The vocals are alright, not a weak point but not really improving the song as a whole. Got a little stale by the end but I enjoyed it, solid track and a nice beat.
Total: 8.3 rating + 2.1 theme + .0 artist = 10.4 points
Submitted by Lebossle

3rd:
We Can Make The World Stop by The Glitch Mob
Very nice, The Glitch Mob are generally solid and I really like the breakdown around two minutes and how the song doesn't stay static for too long. Lots of variation.
Total: 8.4 rating + 1.8 theme + .0 artist = 10.2 points
Submitted by nutella

2nd:
Victory Is Mine by Virgin Steele
Oh man, this is cheesy. I think I've mentioned before but I'm perfectly fine with that. The only thing this song is missing is a training montage with lots of slo-mo for a music video. Not much to say except that this song really captures that 90s hair metal sound perfectly and that I'm digging it.
Total: 8.5 rating + 2.2 theme + .8 artist = 11.5 points
Submitted by Aladyyn

1st:
Party People by N.E.R.D
Oh yeah, this gets me grooving. It has a sick bassline/whatever-line and hooks that draws me in and forces me to move. Could use a little more variation but by god that main bassline is a good hook.
Total: 8.6 rating + 2.3 theme + .8 artist = 11.7 points
Submitted by DaLetterEl

Closer:
Kirameki Dancin' by BRADIO
My favorite afro wearin' funky disco playing Japanese man, play us out! Thanks once again for participating and I hope you all had fun! Remember that even if you got robbed(TM) that I appreciated all of the songs I was sent- everyone sent in at least one song that broke an 8 (even Moose) and none of you have completely irredeemable taste. Probably.

[Smogon broke some of the below formatting, sorry for anyone viewing this in the future.]
Placements:
1st: Lebossle (112.0 points)
2nd: DaLetterEl (-2.3)
2nd: Aladyyn (-0.6)
4th: termi (-0.3)
5th: BrainpanSonata (-0.4) [108.4]
6th: Nutella (-0.3)
7th: shubaka17 (-0.1)
8th: LordQuas (-2.1)
9th: RaceBandit (-0.2)
10th: Isa (-0.1) [105.2]
11th: iaafr (-0.7)
12th: dobby (-4.1)
13th: gbsfranca (-0.2)
14th: Phighter (-6.9)
15th: Moose (-3.1) [90.1]

Placements by Rating:
1st: Lebossle (89.6 points)
2nd: Aladyyn (-2.4)
3rd: Nutella (-0.8)
4th: BrainpanSonata (-0.7)
5th: LordQuas/DaLetterEl (-1.1) [84.6]
7th: termi (-0.7)
8th: Isa (-1.0)
9th: shubaka17 (-0.1)
10th: RaceBandit (-0.4) [82.4]
11th: dobby (-0.6)
12th: iaafr (-1.4)
13th: gbsfranca (-2.6)
14th: Phighter (-2.8)
15th: Moose (-1.3) [71.9 points]

Placements by Theme:
1st: Lebossle/BrainpanSonata (26.2 points)
3rd: RaceBandit (-2.1)
4th: Aladyyn (-0.3)
5th: DaLetterEl (-0.3) [23.5]
6th: Phighter (-0.2)
7th: shubaka17 (-0.1)
8th: termi/Nutella (-0.1)
10th: Isa (-0.2) [22.9]
11th: iaafr/gbsfranca (-0.3)
12th: DaLetterEl (-1.4)
13th: dobby (-0.8)
14th: LordQuas/Moose (-0.1) [20.3]

Placements by Artist Bonuses:
1st: Isa/DaLetterEl (8.8 points)
3rd: iaafr/shubaka17 (-0.4)
5th: Nutella/LordQuas/Aldyyn/gbsfranca (-0.4) [8.0]
9th: RaceBandit/termi (-0.8) [7.2]
11th: dobby (-1.2)
12th: Lebossle (-0.4)
13th: BrainpanSonata (-0.4)
14th: Moose (-0.4)
15th: Phighter (-0.4) [3.6]

Professional Golfing Association Award:
Moose retains the PGA award from last walrus, much to the pleasure of his sponsors. His performance is steady despite his disappearance for part of the season, and golfing magazines throughout the region are praising him as the 'next Tiger Woods'.

Most/Least Variable:
The award of 'most variable' goes to termi, who had a 7.8 point difference between their highest and lowest scores. 'Least variable' goes to Aladdyn, whose highest and lowest scores were only 1.6 points apart.

The Originality Award:
The originality award goes to Isa and DaLetterEl, who both got perfect artist scores.

Categories Won:
Lebossle: 2
RaceBandit: 2
Termi: 2
BrainpanSonata: 1
DaLetterEl: 1
Dobby: 1
Gbsfranca: 1
Iaafr: 1

Best Songs:
Atari Teenage Riot - Start The Riot (Loud Remasters) [9.3]
DM Ashura vs. Sanxion7 - Ethereality [9.1]
Blue Stahli - ULTRAnumb [9.0]
Ludo - Lake Pontchartrain [8.9]

Wall Ross 2 OST (By rating winners): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Fwn2NEJQCfwV49jdee7rwAmJ5IcInkW
Wall Ross 2 OST (By theme winners):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Fwn2NEJQCfTrm_KzYhtoAjSnXvEK1Y0

So long and thanks for all the fish songs.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)