Anti-Meta Offensive (maxed rank 68/10xxx)

OmegaMK.II (Metagross) @ Focus Sash Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- ThunderPunch
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

People say the role of a lead this generation is obsolete, I beg to differ judging by how much Metagross helps my team, as almost an anti lead. Stealth rock to set up of course, bullet punch is nice stab priority, Thunderpunch takes out Gyarados and Politoed along with many other water/flying types, even the occasional Aerodactyl is 2hko'd (finished with bullet punch of course). Hammer Arm is great for Tyranitar, just amazing, i cannot emphasize how many tyranitars are not expecting this and are taken out in one hit. Hammer arm can also take out Excadrill if sash is still in effect.

Speaking of sash, I was recently told to switch from sash to occa berry because it had a use even after 100% is broken. I tried this and it was horribly ineffective. But if anyone has any suggestions for an item, I would take them into consideration.

I think most of my success with Metagross comes from how people aren't as familiar with Metagross as they were in gen4, not everyone can predict what is set is (thus switching in Tyranitar to fire punch/eq it).

Bahamut (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Fire Fang

This replaces haxorus a while back and SHOT my rank up significantly. BUT, I am constantly changing around his moves because rock slide/stone edge is also suggested for him, but the accuracy makes me cringe. Aerial is great STAB for the many fighting types this generation, Dragon Claw is the go to STAB move, Fire Fang is proving less and less useful seeing as it has such low power and many water types can switch in to use ice beam, earthquake has it's moments in late game, but if my opponent predicts a scarf, he can force me out with Gliscor or any other flying type.

So suggestions on the moveset here would be great.

StormKing (Volcarona) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

My special sweeper of course, even one quiver dance on this guy and I could end up sweeping with the excellent psychic/big/fire coverage two of which are stab'd. When I first started using him people didn't expect psychic to be run on him, but now they seem to have wised up. Although weak to SR, but that is what my rapid spinner is generally for (See Ultros (Tentacruel). Sometimes he feels too frail, but the next match pulls off a beautiful sweep that wins back my confidence in him. So with Volcarona, if my rapid spinner dies and SR is out it can be very hard for him to do anything useful in the match, so a "hit or miss" sometimes.

Ultros (Tentacruel) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

I love this guy, can go head to head with walls that set-up entry hazards like Forretress and Ferrothorn, fight back and blow away that SR that so badly hurts Salamence and Volcarona. So in that respect, a spinner for my team is mandatory and Tenta fit the spot. Also able to switch into threats that using HP stealing moves with liquid ooze which i find very helpful. HP fire is a godsend being able to hit the two mentioned in the beginning and unwary scizor alike. Setting up toxic spikes is always a plus too. STAB surf can pack a punch and has it's moments.

Salika (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 124 SDef / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

My most recent addition to the team. I realized how weak I was too the following; Lead-roaring-stockpile Hippowdon, Swampert, and Breloom. Celebi takes the cake for this. But beyond that it can be hard for celebi to find any other use on my team. STAB Psychic for fighting types and Gig drain for waters and swampert specifically. I might switch out U-turn for Thunderwave, but that does clash with toxic spikes at times. So basically this guy is in maintenance Moveset wise and spread wise, suggestions here would be awesome.

TylerDurden (Scrafty) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Bulk Up
- Rest

And finally, Scrafty, gotta give this guy MVP. Late game this guy can kill (or even early if he needs to), so many walls let him just set up, and without roar or priority, 2 or 3 bulk ups has him sweeping. He has earned a permanent spot on my team. Many will try and toxic, burn or paralyze him, and his shed skin ability wastes their turn. Rest works great especially when i recover from sleep first turn. His has the great ability to switch in when I predict a Psychic move on Tentacruel only to take no effect. Two great STAB moves under his belt and he is ready to roll. No real suggestions I'm looking for here.

The first thing I notice is you have 3 weaknesses to flying. Flying isn't an omnipresent attacking type; however, any Hurricane, Acrobatics, or Brave Bird users stand to hurt your team. I'd wager the most frequently used flying moves come from Tornadus, so how do you usually deal with Tornadus (and maybe Staraptor)?

This team may also have some issues Dealing with strong Draco Meteors, as your only safe-switch may have taken damage as your lead. Life Orb Latias hits Metagross for around 40-45% and Scrafty for 52-61%, so Latios, Hydreigon, and Kyurem will typically hit them harder. It's possible to play around this as +1 Volcarona and Scrafty stand a decent chance, while Salamence can revenge. Is this something you find you need an answer for?

On Metagross, Air Balloon may be used to alleviate a weakness and, if intact, still lets you Hammer Arm Excadrill. Have you tried this?

On Salamence, Fire Fang could be replaced by Brick Break, Aqua Tail [illegal on Moxie Mence], or Outrage [illegal on Moxie Mence]. Brick Break and Aqua Tail can hit Heatran and Terrakion super effectively while they carry Air Balloon. Brick Break hits Blissey for more damage than Dragon Claw, and Aqua Tail can be used to harm Gliscor. Outrage hits Blissey like a truck and is a strong option against bulky Water types. Unfortunately, holding Choice Scarf means that, if you fail to set up rocks, several 2hkos are out of reach. Moxie soft-fixes this if you manage to snag a kill with the appropriate move beforehand, but probably should not be relied upon when making a decision on a move set.

For Celebi, you could run a slightly bulky Nasty Plot or Calm Mind set:

Salika (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP/252 Satk/144 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot/Calm Mind
- Psychic/Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Recover

The Speed EVs allow Celebi to outrun max speed, positive nature Rotom-A and anything under it (which includes Breloom). Recover really helps with surviving long enough to deal with the threats it is usually delegated to dealing with.

Tell me what you think of these suggestions. If you come across any serious threats while using this team, make sure to list them so we can see what you're having trouble with.

I noticed the weakness to flying, but i really haven't had a problem with it, nothing too serious, but you're right, it's something i need cover. But I've pondered it and nothing seems to fit at all, unless I want to run Rockslide or Stone edge on mence.

Believe it or not, Volcarona can bug buzz 1hko Latias, and a dragon claw at even +1 will 1hko (I think) Latias. Hydreigon can be a problem, but Volcarona can also bug buzz him too if he get's the chance, but you're right, unreliable tactics right there.

I'll try air balloon, but just like other items I've tried other than sash, when I get 1hko'd by anything at all, I get mad I didn't keep the sash.

First of all, Moxiemence can't get Outrage so that's out of the picture. Is Earthquake really necessary? I've just been hesitant to remove it, the idea of aqua tail sounds nice to take care of gliscor especially (One of the only flying threats to me). Brick Break, seems like it's power is far too low to be of any use, but if you could get me some stats on how hard it would hit Blissey that would be awesome.

Still confused here, but I think we can work something out for a set... EDIT: Looks like Aqua Tail is also illegal on moxiemence.

I saw that set for Celebi, but felt my team was offensive enough as is, but I could try that, and sometimes I feel like Celebi could use a little more power. is Celebi bulky enough to run recover? I've always stayed away from recovery moves unless I can shed it away, or am extremely bulky. I might try calm mind. This would also help me counter lead roaring Hippowdon even faster and more efficiently. I take this into great consideration.

I let the fact that Moxie Mence cannot get Outrage slip my mind. Brick Break will only do 42-50%. After taking Stealth Rock and Leftovers into account, Brick Break will only come close to a 2hko. This may as well invalidate it on this set. As for Earthquake, it will hit Tyranitar and non-levitating Steel-types for far more than the other moves, which will often be to your benefit. [Removed everything about Aqua Tail because Moxie Mence hates me].

You may need to find a more dedicated answer to Gliscor, but your current Celebi set ties 72 spe Gliscor. Moving 4 EVs down to speed could help you deal with him, as your current set takes 22% max from +0 Ice Fang and 46-55% from +0 item-less Acrobatics. Volcarona is currently your only other answer, and it is frail as is. Changing it to a bulkier set would hurt your chances at thwarting the Latis though.

Recover on Celebi is not required, just useful for keeping it in the game if it has to switch into hazards once or twice before it can really set-up and sometimes to make sure it finishes what it started. It is certainly an offensive set though, you're right. Your current set is the recommended defensive set in the Gen 5 analysis; however, you've replaced the support moves (Recover and Thunder Wave/Leech Seed). I see why you have Hidden Power Ice, as Gliscor and several Dragons can harm your team, but keep in mind that Steel-types will usually wall your set without Earth Power or Hidden Power Fire.

Which Pokemon, if any, are you willing to change on this team? If you can change Volcarona that will effectively free up two slots, but I'm all for using whatever increases the enjoyment of the game.

As a side note the nature is supposed to be Timid on my suggested Celebi set.

Assume I'm willing to change anything. I'll consider any suggestions you give me, I just rrreeeaaalllyyy hate using pokemon that are super overused that if feel are lame (ie, garchomp or scizor).

I really love having Volcarona on the team, but let me hear what you have to offer.

With this new celebi set I feel gliscor will be even less of a threat to me.

So, no brick break on that set? Stick with Dragon claw, eq, fire fang and aerial ace? Would I really benefit from Rock Slife/Stone edge?

There are a few more options for Celebi that I've come across. A Tinkerbell set can devastate Gliscor with Leaf Storm, and will let you use Thunder Wave to potentially cripple opposing Dragon switches. Alternatively, the same set can run Nasty Plot and Giga Drain to 2hko Gliscor. Either way, this frees you up to use Hidden Power Fire to answer Genesect, Scizor, and a few other Steel-types better. A typical Tinkerbell set would be:

Salika (Celebi) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP/240 Satk/36 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot/Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain/Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Nasty Plot goes with Giga Drain and Thunder Wave (or Leech Seed even) goes with Leaf Storm. Life Orb is recommended with Leaf Storm to ensure a high chance of 1hko against Gliscor. The Speed EVs allow you to outrun max speed, positive nature Tyranitar.

Rock Slide and Stone Edge each hit Zapdos, Tornadus, and Thundurus for the most. They will also let you stop opposing Volcarona. If you find you have trouble with these guys then it isn't a bad to run either. I'd probably exchange Fire Fang for either, since Celebi and Volcarona act as good checks to Scizor, Genesect, and Ferrothorn.

I'd say pick whichever Celebi set you think fits best right now and run it through a good deal of matches. Take note of what gives you trouble and what makes you question if you can even answer. A list of your threats would greatly help with further suggestions.

I like that set but, I really liek to have psychic on Celebi, helps a ton. I'm already running HP fire on Tenta so could that set work with Psychic instead of HP fire? And HP ice destroys dragons, and without it I'm left even more vulnerable to dragons.

Could I go:

Salika (Celebi) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP/240 Satk/36 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic

With Thunderwave, does this render toxic spikes only a nuisance? Although most dragons are flying and avoid this.

I have begun to notice ballooning Heatran can give me trouble since w/o sash Metagross can't hammer arm him, and Scrafty has to get damn lucky to set up on it.

Do you suggest keeping Aerial Ace for mence? So far, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Rockslide/Stone Edge (I'll try both, and see how damage vs. accuracy goes) and Aerial, sounds solid to me, wish Aqua Tail was available though):

How would I go about a threat list? Just write them down as I go and how they are a threat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)