SM Ubers Anti-Meta Ubers Stall (Peak #3 | 90+ GXE)

Recently, I wanted to take on the challenge of building a comprehensive Ubers Stall Team. From my prior limited experience, the Ubers Metagame primarily consists mainly of HO/BO, with good reason. The versatility and sheer power of Pokemon in the Ubers Tier makes creating a Stall Team very difficult, so most teams just adopt an 'offense is the best defense' mentality.

You will notice in this team that I do not use a single Ubers mon, and it's simply because from a stall perspective, I was unable to find a role for them that couldn't be fulfilled better by a mon from the lesser tiers. As I mentioned in the title, this team focuses on targeting and countering only the metagame, and will likely lose to unorthodox teams with Pokemon such as Manaphy.

Proof of Peak:

Team at a Glance

Team-Building Process

The first problem I had to resolve was dealing with Necrozma-Ultra and Necrozma-DM. These 2 Pokemon were almost impossible to wall effectively on a stall team. The fact that Photon Geyser, Sunsteel Strike and their respective Z-Moves ignored the target's abilities meant that abilities like Unaware, Sturdy and Wonder Guard were all bypassed. Even Skarmory can fall if played incorrectly, or with some prior chip damage. Thus I needed a more comprehensive counter, which I finally managed to find in Foul Play Slowbro. With access to Regenerator, I could ensure that Slowbro was always healthy enough to take down Necrozma.

The next problem I had to address was Primal Groudon. This Pokemon itself brings a huge amount of problems to stall teams, and it is very difficult to stop P-Don from getting up Stealth Rocks. I considered using mons like Giratina or Arceus-Dragon, but found them both lacking. Latias was my ultimate decision because it had excellent bulk, great typing and access to reliable recovery and Defog. Arceus-Dragon still took far too much punishment from Precipice Blades and Giratina lacked reliable recovery.

The next issue I had to deal with, were the powerful Physical and Special attackers in the tier. This was resolved by using the Blisswole core, a core I used back in UU. Buzzwole manages to wall and defeat most of the physical attackers in the Ubers Tier, such as Marshadow, Zygarde, Arceus, M-Lucario etc, while Blissey manages to wall almost all the powerful special attackers in the Ubers tier, such as Reshiram, Xerneas etc. and also provides great Wish and Heal Bell support. I chose Blissey over Chansey because I valued the additional leftovers recovery with my Wish+Protect set.

After having found my main core, I had to deal with some other threats that could break apart this core. M-Gengar was extremely problematic, so I realised I needed a powerful Pursuit user. Thus my options were M-Tar, T-Tar and Muk. However, I realised that I also had a weakness to mixed Yveltal, Ho-oh as well as other powerful Flying attackers like Salamence and Rayquaza. Thus I opted to go for M-Tar, as it had 100/150/120 Defences, and could easily tank anything Yveltal/Salamance/Rayquaza throws at it. Regular Tyranitar lacked the defenses to address these threats appropriately. M-Tar also took on the role of the Stealth Rock user.

Finally, my team was coming together, but there were some other minor issues that I had to address. Mixed P-Kyogre seemed to be a problem as Liquidation could easily destroy my Blissey if I mispredicted, and I couldn't depend on Latias, since I needed that healthy to deal with P-Don. Another big issue was Rest Xerneas. I did not like the idea of running Confide on my Blissey, so my final decision ended up being Ferrothorn with Gyro Ball. A useful mon that also provides me with Spikes as well as a great switch-in to defensive Necrozma-DM with Toxic.

The Team

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

The first line of defense. I found Tyranitar to be an excellent lead in some occasions against Pokemon like Smeargle and Deoxys-S. This is because Sand Stream breaks their Focus sash so it can usually take down these opposing leads in one turn. Tyranitar helps take down M-Gengar and also Gothitelle, if I manage to predict correctly. With Sand Stream, T-tar gets a 1.5x boost to Special Defense, making it extremely bulky. Tyranitar also offers an excellent check to Salamence, Rayquaza and Yveltal. It can also take down Ho-oh by switching in on a BB and using Pursuit.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Standard Blissey but with 252 Special Defense EVs in order to take punishment from the powerful special attackers in the tier. I went with Blissey over Chansey as I preferred Leftovers with Wish+Protect, as well as the constant Sandstorm from Tyranitar. I opted to not go for Seismic Toss and run Heal Bell instead. This means that I will likely lose the rare match-up against CM Steelceus or SubCM Groundceus. Overall I decided that these threats weren't enough to warrant running without either Wish Support or Cleric Support. However, if you want to use this team, you can replace Toxic with Seismic Toss, albeit it comes with a worse match-up against Xerneas and some other Special Attackers. I use Wish to keep my Tyranitar healthy.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Regular Slowbro, with a bunch of support moves in Foul Play, Scald and Toxic. This Pokemon is very effective in its job at stopping Necrozma as well as some other physical attackers like M-Mewtwo-X, Deoxys-A and Blaziken. I decided not to run M-Bro, allowing me to free up a Mega Slot for T-Tar and also because I preferred to have Leftovers + Regenerator for maximum recovery. Slowbro is also occasionally my switch-in to P-Don if Latias was not in good condition. This mon also helps against banded variants of Ho-oh. It can take a BB, and then I can switch to T-tar and Pursuit on the following BB, if I switch in and out a few times, Slowbro will be guaranteed to be back at Full HP.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost
- Mist Ball

Mixed defense Latias, the main P-Don check of this team. This Pokemon's sole purpose is to defeat Primal Groudon. I run Defog so that I can always Defog away Stealth Rocks from P-Don. I chose Mist Ball over Psychic because of the 50% chance of reducing the opponent's SpA, which is great against some switch-ins. The EVs are mainly adjusted for Special Defense, in order to effectively tank repeated Eruptions from Max SpA Groudon. Some Defense EVs are allocated to take on physically offensive Groudons. Levitate on Latias makes it immune to Precipice Blades. I decided not to go with M-Latias, because there is not much bulk difference between M-Latias and regular Latias after factoring in Leftovers recovery.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is another specially defensive wall on this team. It's main focus is to stop Mix-Ogre as well as to deal with Rest/Aromatheraphy Xerneas. It provides great utility in Spikes and Leech Seed, and has many opportunities to switch-in, such as on Yveltal or Defensive Necrozma-DM. The EVs are geared towards special defensive to be able to handle Water Spouts a bit better. Iron Barbs is also useful against U-Turners, although Anticipation is great too, to scout for some Heat Wave Yveltals and other surprise sets.

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Buzzwole, the great physical wall. Arguably one of the best physical walls in the game. I've used this mon in UU, OU and now Ubers. The max defense set allows it to easily switch in on the likes of Marshadow, Zygarde, Kangaskhan, Arceus and M-Lucario with impunity. It acts as a blanket check to most physical attackers in the Ubers Tier. Bulk Up allows it to set-up side to side against Zygarde and SD Arceus and defeat them 1v1. Drain Punch is a great STAB move and Ice Punch is another great coverage move in Tandem with Drain Punch. Reliable Recovery in Roost ensures that Buzzwole will always be healthy after taking a hit. I run Rocky Helmet to punish physical attackers without attacking and then heal off the damage as they switch back out.

Threats

- Gothitelle is the bane of Balance and Stall. Fortunately, it is not very common at all, especially in an offense dominated ladder. To deal with this, I need to predict the switch-in and send in my T-Tar to pursuit.

- Mega-Mewtwo-Y, this mon is mostly manageable so it's more of a medium level threat, but it has some annoying coverage moves like Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball. Generally I go Slowbro and Foul Play for a massive amount of damage (it can take an SB), and then go to Tyranitar, to finish it off with Sandstorm.

- Arceus Steel, the CM variant is annoying to deal with since I dropped Seismic Toss on Blissey. It can be chipped down with Slowbro and Leech Seed from Ferrothorn. Thankfully this mon is not very common and the CM variants are even less common.

Conclusions

Overall, this team has been great fun to play, and it shows that Stall in Ubers can be very effective, as long as you focus on targeting the Meta threats. If you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below and I will reply in due time (I may be taking a brief hiatus). Unfortunately I don't have many replays as this alt is new and I also forgot to save many of them, but here are a few below. I have also provided the importable below for players who want to test this team.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost
- Mist Ball

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Last edited:
Hey , your team looks fire :-)

Your team pretty much walls the most common uber sets and you will usually win either cause your opponent has no defensive moves or he does not want to fight the pp war against you.

Btw. in the Threat-Area are missing :

1) Substitute Users:
Xerneas (Wonder Room/Substitute/Z)
Kyogre (Sub/CM)
Dugtrio (Can sweep you with Sub/Hone claws or Trap TTar)

2) Mixed Attackers
Ultra Necrozma (Dragon Pulse / Heat Wave / Sunsteel / Photon)
Rayquaza (draco/dragon acent/V-Create/ + x)

3) (Endeavor) / Sub Endeavor / Painsplit

Sub/Endeavor Marhsadow
Probopass / Aaron / Cottonee ; First two are immune to toxic and can threaten to toxic/endeavor
The only switch you have is ferrothorn and that will drop after a spike afterwards.

4) Defensive Teams with Toxic Spikes
(they will win the pp war for sure, since you have to use heal bell to often and
toxic spikes have more pp then your defog)

5) Stallbreak with taunt/toxic (hawlucha/Mewtwo)

Best regards

L3mN

Hey man, thanks for the rate, greatly appreciate it. Yeah generally with my threat list, it isn't great right now, so thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I neglected a few of the non-meta and niche threats, so I will probably have to add them on later. But thanks heaps for taking the time and effort to write that all up.

Anyways, I'll go through your list first, all the points you made were generally logically reasonable and understandable which was great. Generally sub Xerneas can be dealt with by Ferrothorn in most scenarios, same with Wonder Room, although that set is extremely rare. Z-Geo also gets taken down by Ferrothorn, and Blissey if it doesn't have Sub / Rest. Kyogre SubCM is scary, I haven't encountered one yet, but that's true, I may add this to the threat list later. Dugtrio is also a threat but it's fairly non-existent in the metagame right now, and can't setup easily, so I probably won't add it to the threat list for now.

Mixed attackers are generally manageable. I haven't encountered Mix Necrozma-Ultra yet, but Slowbro can probably take a Dragon Pulse and then deal a big chunk of damage back with Foul Play. Then I could pivot to Tyranitar and chip it down with Sand Stream. Mix Rayquaza can be dealt with by M-Tar in most scenarios.

Substitute Endeavour Marshadow isn't that big of a deal actually, because my Buzzwole has Rocky Helmet, so it can take the Endeavour and then Roost back the HP, while Marshadow takes 18% from Rocky. Not sure about Probopass and Aron since these are extremely niche threats. Cottonee can be dealt with by Tyranitar, since it's Dark Type and ignores Prankster moves, and Sand Stream breaks Sash, but this Pokemon is pretty rare too.

Yep, defensive teams with Toxic Spikes can be annoying, that's true. Thankfully, the only defensive Pokemon in the tier with Toxic Spikes is Toxapex, which is another fairly rare Pokemon. I usually try to deal with these defensive teams with M-Tar through Crunch and Pursuit, but yeah it may be quite difficult sometimes.

In conclusion, thanks so much for your feedback and rate. I will modify the threat list soon. You made some solid and fair points and I acknowledge them. I wish you the best with everything!

Last edited:
Hello man.
The team is solid but it must be complicated to use regular beats or slow no mega in this metagame. But it seems that you have worked very well and it is not easy with the threats that the whole group has. I must admit that I really like that you bring Buzzwole to every Arceus / Lucario offensive form. It has a good bulk and with Rocky it is useful. The other day I used this team in ladder and the truth that I would add in threats Marsh / MGengar with Fblast / MMence DD with EQ Facade. It is only so that it is not neglected. I've seen the replays and highlight the last one where honestly the opponent made a serious mistake like letting Buzzwole use Bulkup and leaving late with Ho-Oh.

I can not add anything else, you have done very well and you have invented the difficulty of using this in something where there are many offensive things. Gratz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)