Other Metagames Antigone [Megamons]

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Antigone: Noun. Derived from Greek αντι (anti) "against, compared to, like" and γονη (gone) "birth, offspring" - "worthy of one's parents" or "in place of one's parents".

Proof of peak. (Current)
#1 Peak.

OM of the Month metas get the least attention in the RMT forums well, it's not that hard figuring out why. It's just a temporary ladder. But that doesn't mean that the metagame will be gone after thus why I'm sharing this team here and I believe Megamons deserve more love. This metagame has grown in me, I'm a fan of the concept and it's not too complex. In a metagame dominated by mega evolutions, ubers and offensive pressure stall builds get hindered. Stall seems like a mediocre playstyle in the metagame thus why I decided to build around. The result was satisfying even though it turned out being Semi-Stall which is still fine. The name symbolize the birth of a defensive based team in the middle of an outrageous war.

That's some nice violin :^)

I wanted to try stall in Megamons so I wrote down a list of defensive Pokemon and started to pick. I first needed a hazard setter and a physical defensive Pokemon the first Pokemon that crossed my mind was Primal Groudon (
), it's still an amazing Pokemon in this metagame. Then I needed a Pokemon to stop hazards being set up on my field, an anti-set up Pokemon so I thought why not Mega Sableye (
) it seems mediocre in the metagame but its still a good addition to the team. Still with the physical defensive trend, what's a stall team without Mega Slowbro (
). I was pretty weak to Primal Groudon already and I needed another hazard remover, so I hesitantly added Mega Latias (
), it also serves as a Wish passer. I was extremely weak to specially offensive Pokemon and since Blissey and Chansey seemed like they can't retaliate back and get rid of the foe's Pokemon I decided to try Assault Vest Mega Tyranitar (
) which works like a charm, easily the Pokemon that holds the team together. Last but not least, I needed a fairy resists and a win-condition so I decided to go for Mega Scizor (
), it also has priority in Bullet Punch which can help in picking off weakened Pokemon.

After getting in my thoughts and seeing the reason of my choices, it's time for me to present the team and the roles of each Pokemon.

Fugite (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb

Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Lax Nature
Lava Plume
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Roar

The first thing that came in my mind was that I needed a hazard setter, Stealth Rocks seems like the best option in this metagame due to the abundance of Flying- type Pokemon. In addition, one of the best hazard setter is Primal Groudon and has access to Stealth Rocks so I opted for them. Primal Groudon doesn't only serve as my hazard setter it also plays the role of a physical defensive Pokemon and a Steel type check which my team lacks. EVs are optimized to let Primal Groudon checks the offensive threats that I suffer against such as Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor and special defense is tank special fairy type moves such as Mega Gardevoir's or Xerneas's. Lava Plume is used as a primary STAB move which helps with its burn. Earthquake allows me to take on opposing Primal Groudon and hit for neutral damage Pokemon that resists Lava Plume or are not affected by it. Roar stops other's setting up against Primal Groudon.

Mortem (Sableye-Mega) @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature

Foul Play
Knock Off
Will-O-Wisp
Recover

My second choice was Mega Sableye due to its defensive presence and important moves such as Foul Play and Knock off coming from a Dark type. Foul Play allows Mega Sableye do deal damage according to the foe's attacking stats which stops them from easily setting up against Mega Sableye. Knock off is an interesting move to have in a metagame filled with items. Mega Sableye is able to remove boosting items such as Life Orb, Choice Band, Soul Dew to cripple the foe a little bit, or can remove recovery from Mega Aggron or Mega Slowbro. Will-o-Wisp is added to cripple the foe slowly weakening its attack allowing me to check Mega Lucario and Mega Kangaskhan easier.

Somnium (Slowbro-Mega) @ Leftovers

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
Toxic
Scald
Ice Beam
Slack Off

You can't build a stall or semi-stall team without this wall. Thanks to its base 180 Defense Mega Slowbro is one of the best if not the best physical wall in this metagame and on top of that it got passive recovery in leftovers. Toxic allows Mega Slowbro getting through other defensive builds and stall offensive Pokemon that does not fear Scald, Toxic is also a way to deal with Primal Groudon since it's hard to touch with that team. Scald is free burn. Ice Beam is used specially for Mega Salamence which straight up 6-0s this team if not played carefully around, it's also another way to hit Primal Groudon. Mega Slowbro is able to check a plethora of physical threats that this team would suffer against mainly Mega Lucario, Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross.

Medicus (Latias-Mega) @ Soul Dew

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Wish
Protect

Defog
Draco Meteor

With its already high defenses and HP mixed with soul dew Mega Latias makes a great Defog user. It also has access to Wish which makes it a great wish passer and allows it to recover adding to that its immunity to ground due to levitate and serves as another check for Primal Groudon and checks Primal Kyogre which is also problematic. Using full speed to creep Pokemon that doesn't hit Mega Latias speed mark and 44 SpA is used to cause as much as damage to Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon since can't be touched except by Mega Latias.

Obscurus (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Pursuit
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch

This Pokemon is the glue to the team, I can't describe how helpful it is for the team. Thanks to its already high defensive stats and sand stream which boosts its special defense and Assault Vest this Pokemon becomes the best special defensive wall in the metagame. Its ability to pursuit trap Mega Latios and Mega Latias is helpful to the team as both are problems. Mega Tyranitar also stops Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pidgeot and Dakrai which are also main threats. Stone Edge and Crunch are the primary STAB moves that does good damage and Earthquake is the the better coverage move that hits Mega Lucario if it predicts a switch and Primal Groudon effectively.

Solidum (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Roost
Bullet Punch
Knock Off

Mega Scizor has always been one of my favorite Mega Evolution, it plays a big role in this team. Some people wonders why using a bulky offensive Scizor on such team and not defensive well the answer is I needed a wincon and a Pokemon against other defensive builds which can fare good. Mega Scizor also helps against the Fairy matchup which can easily power through this team seeing that I have 3 Pokemon weak to fairy, I'm notably weak to Xerneas which can destroys this team. Sword Dance and Roost are used to set up on Pokemon that cannot 2OHKO Scizor such as Mega Lati@s, Mega Tyranitar and others. Bullet Punch is an amazing move for Mega Scizor as it is a priority move that helps me pick off weakened foes and Knock Off is used as coverage instead of other moves due to its ability to remove items weakening the foe since Items play a big role in this metagame.

Thanks for reading, I'm going to post down here a threat list, replays, shoutouts and an importable.

Threats:
- High level threat as most of my team is weak to fairy and I have no dedicated special wall that can tank Xerneas. It can also set up Geomancy on every Pokemon bar Mega Scizor and Pdon. My only checks are Mega Scizor which can tank a hit or two and kill with 2 bullet punches, Pdon which can either weaken it with Earthquake or Roar it away if it set up Geomancy.

- High level threat thanks to Aerilate and high offensive stats this Pokemon can wreck havoc to my team. It can set up on any Pokemon easily and 2OHKO/OHKO everything. I don't really have a dedicated check since it can run anything from physical offensive to special offensive to mixed. If its physical Mega Slowbro can tank some hits to an extent and retaliate back with Ice Beam. If it's special, Mega Tyranitar can pressure it, if its mixed it would be hard to stop.
- Medium level threat thanks to Primorodial Sea and its great special attack it can punch holes through my team, Mega Tyranitar can't stop it. Fortunately Primal Groudon can stop the weather condition, Mega Latias can tank some Ice Beam and Mega Slowbro can Toxic it but in general its hard to play against.

- Medium level threat the only problem with Mega Lucario is that its unpredictable and can do damage and make me lose if predicted wrongly with Nasty Plot or Sword Dance. If its physical Mega Slowbro can deal with it, if its special its hard since nothing can eat a hit at +2 except Mega Latias+Mega Scizor.
- Medium level threat Dark void+Sub+Nasty Plot is hard to deal with if Mega Tyranitar is dead. Just put something to sleep and go to Mega Tyranitar or predict with Mega Sableye.

Replays:

Haven't saved a lot of replays but here's what I got.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/megamons-355288406 Pretty close game which showcase the pressure of Mega Salamence and Darkrai

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/megamons-354319367
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/megamons-354232968

Shoutouts:

Zangooser for being cute
InfernapeTropius11 for being a noob
runbabyrun to rerun megamons
Articuno I for being another noob
Betathunder for rng
Ransei ransenpai

Shoutout to will-o-wisp for never hitting.

Importable:

Mortem (Sableye-Mega) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Somnium (Slowbro-Mega) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Fugite (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Lax Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Medicus (Latias-Mega) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

Obscurus (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Solidum (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Cool team bruh, I have been testing with this team for around 20 matches and I haven't lost a match yet(I am new to this meta though), so just wanted to congratulate ya for the peak.
Though something to remove statuses would be awesome as you kind of depend on slowbro to check a lot of meta.
Best of luck!!

Reactions: DEG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)