Other Anything Goes-An Attempt At Landorus Balance

Hey everyone! I'm here to present my latest and most successful Anything Goes team to date. I have structured this team around Landorus, recently banned from OU, and have seen a great deal of success through this. So, without further ado, let's get into the RMT!
~Landorus Balance~
At a glance-

Teambuilding process-

To start off with, I had the idea that I wanted to build around Landorus, no matter what. I did my research, and discovered that Landorus made a kick-ass lead, so I moved it into this position.

Continuing, I decided that my team needed some major offensive power in a compact package, so I moved over to Mega-Rayquaza. It doesn't have any particular synergy with Landorus, but then Mega Rayquaza serves generally as a lone wolf, so this didn't bother me too much.

Next up, I decided that my team had enough offensive pressure, and I wanted to roll with something a little move defensive. Funnily enough, I ended up with a Pokemon generally used offensively, Xerneas. I had my doubts about using it as a cleric, but it soon proved worthy of a position.

Moving on, I decided that I needed a little bit more offensive pressure, so I picked up Kyurem-White. THis gives my team quick offensive pressure on a special line, which gives my team more versatility.

Next, I decided that I needed a Fairy-slayer, so Aegislash came up. In addition to being a great Geoxern counter, it can provide great priority cover for my team as well as an excellent Toxic setter.

At this stage, I started looking at threats to my team. I unfortunately found that there were many threats that could easily eat my entire team up once boosted. In response to this, I picked Ditto. Ditto provides great incentive for opponents not to set up, and if they do I can often turn it to my advantage.

In-depth-

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
Here's Landorus, the star of the team. Landorus serves as a two-in-one Pokemon, as an anti-lead as well as a hazard setter. With it's ability and it's item, Life Orb, Earth Power easily OHKOs Groudon-Primal and deals heavy damage to anything that's not a bird. Rock Slide is present as an anti-bird attack, as it can OHKO or 2HKO most birds in the tier. Knock Off adds further versatility to Landorus, as some pokemon are very reliant on their item. Stealth Rock is a basic hazard set, it's nice to have to slowly chip away at an enemy team.
The EVs are here to maximize Landorus' versatility, able to out-speed many threats as well as to safely and consistently be able to drop rocks.
I use Landorus as a general lead. The main plays that I use here are to try to KO the opp's lead, then to drop rocks and be knocked out.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Lum Berry
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
Here we have a pretty stock-standard Mega Rayquaza set. The idea here is to get off Dragon Dance if able to, then sweep teams. There isn't much skill required to use this set and lots of skill is required to take down Mega Rayquaza once it gets up momentum. THe Lum Berry is present to stop something like Klefki crippling Rayquaza early on. Dragon Ascent is necessary to mega evolve, and provides a nice, generally unresisted STAB move. Earthquake pairs with Dragon Ascent to cover most of the metagame. Extremespeed provides nice priority coverage.
The EVs maximize sweeping potential, giving Rayquaza a massive attack and speed value.
The strategy here are to do as much damage as possible. Unboosted, it is worth it to retreat Rayquaza once a threat has been dealt with. When it has Danced, Rayquaza stays in until KO'ed, as it can outspeed near anything and thus can damage near anything before it is KO'ed.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Aromatherapy
Here we have a more unusual spin on Xerneas. Most people in the meta use Xerneas with a Power Herb, so as to get Geomancy off as quickly as possible. I'm not doing this here, because geoxern is for scrubs because I needed a cleric on my team. Thus, I threw together this Xerneas, which not only can drop Moonblast, but can cure my entire team. Moonblast is my mono-attack move, which hits most things in the meta reasonably hard. Sleep Talk is to make sure that Rest isn't a waste of time. Rest is in the set to heal and to give Xerneas stalling capabilities. Aromatherapy is for cleric-ness, to allow my team much more versatility.
The EVs maximize Xerneas' stalling capabilities, by giving it decent health and defense stats.
The strategy here is reasonably interesting. Most people will mistakenly believe that this is a Geoxern set, and will therefore possibly play badly around it. Meanwhile, Xerneas can proceed to heal my team, then switch out.

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fusion Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
Kyurem-White is one of the stronger members of the team. I like to run a Choice Scarf over Choice Specs so as to outspeed the majority of the metagame, allowing for quick revenge killing. The ability is one of the main reasons Kyurem is here, so as to eat gimmicks alive and to crush Lugia under its foot. Fusion Flare is for coverage, allowing for easy OHKOs on Skarmory and Scizor, among others. Draco Meteor is a massively powerful STAB move that can OHKO some mons on a neutral hit. Focus Blast is just here to hit bulkier Steel types that don't die to Fusion Flare. Ice Beam is another STAB move, which can be useful against a variety of mons, but is generally only here for use against Lugia.
The EVs are here to maximize Kyurem's usefulness as a revenge killer. The extra speed can help in outspeeding other scarfs and the SpA invest is to crank Kyurem's attack power right up.
The strategy behind using Kyurem is to essentially switch in after something dies, since Kyurem is too fragile to come into most attacks. Through this strategy, it becomes possible to OHKO many large threats, such as Darkrai.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball

- Shadow Sneak
At this stage, I started looking at my team's weaknesses, and came up upon Geoxern. Given the opportunity, this thing can be a major pain. Thus, I chose Aegislash next. Toxic is here on the build to stack up gradual damage on various mons. King's Shield is essential to convert back to shield form in-between attacks. Gyro Ball is on the build to deal massive damage to Geoxern as well as a range of other quick threats. Shadow Sneak is present to finish off anything that's on the ropes, such as a Geoxern that survived Gyro Ball.
The EVs are here to maximize survivability for Geoxern. The HP and SpD make Geoxern encounters 100% survivable, whereas the Atk allows for slightly more damage.
The main strategy here is to switch into a Xerneas that's going ot try to Geomancy, or to switch in once a Xerneas has successfully Geomancied and killed. Outside of Xern, the strategy is to Toxic then stall for as long as possible before switching.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
- Transform
At this stage, I was still looking for threats to my team, and was alarmed at the number there was. However, all of these threats shared a common characteristic-they had to be boosted to do lots of damage. Therefore, I dropped Ditto into the mix. The choice scarf is on the build so as to out-speed whatever it copies.
The main strategy behind Ditto is pretty neat, if I say so myself. It works as a deterrent from boosting anything in the first place, therefore taking away the threats my team would suffer from. When something does boost, Ditto can come in and easily steal every boost and attempt to sweep afterwards. As such, Ditto is extremely useful.

Well, there's the team!
IMPORTABLE:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Rayquaza-Mega @ Lum Berry
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Aromatherapy

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fusion Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
- Transform

WEAKNESSES
~HAZARDS~
Due to no Defog support, hazards can be a problem if an opponent decides to try to stack. On the other hand, I can't find any defogger that can effectively fill one of the roles that are taken up already by my team.

SHOUT-OUTS
Zangooser-This guy puts up with my random rants about Zekrom and is always helpful when I'm trying to teambuild.

Joshz-This guy helps a lot with AG in general and is always helpful when asked.
Schwetabh11-I'm not even sure if this is how you spell his name. This guy is probably one of the main reasons I realized that AG was not just a bunch of people who couldn't play Pokemon properly, when I came up against his team and lost miserably I realized that AG wasn't actually a waste of time.
BaconBagonz-Great presence in the OM room and is always willing to help out.
Guapo man-This guy got me into the Ubers/AG tier, showing me the basics and teaching me how to not be bad at pokemon.
The OM room-Good people in general, good to chat with.

Anyone else I forgot to add, PM me and I will asap.

Thanks for reading!

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice team Sage and thx for the shoutout n_n. As for the rate:

1) On Landorus, Sludge Wave > Knock Off and a Timid nature is probably a good switch. Knock Off isn't boosted by Sheer Force and uninvested won't be hitting hard, and Sludge Wave is really useful for a powerful coverage move. I'd also suggest Focus Blat > Rock Slide for the full special set, and because a Sheer Force Focus Blast is going to hurt anything (it doesn't miss) extremely hard even off-STAB.

2) V-Create > Earthquake or at least slashed on Mray is useful, because otherwise Ferrothorn just shits on your whole team bar your suicide lead Lando and Scarfed Kyu. It also allows it to wreck Skarm etc.

3) Aegislash really isn't great in AG, despite the hype. A smart player won't Geo with Aegislash still around. Therefore, I'd switch Aegislash to Klefki. Everybody loves cancer!
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 228 HP / 244 Def / 32 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Foul Play
- Swagger

Standard cancer set. EVs are made to deal with more phyiscal attackers, however thunder wave still cripples Xern and makes it easily revengable if you're unable to kill it with Klefki. 4 Spe and minimal attack to beat other klefkis in a 1v1.

Your team is really weak to LO Ray, and Arceus formes in general. Klefki will deal with them. Klefki is honestly just a game changer late game as well as it can cripple nearly any threat.

Anyways, GL with your team man.

Do you mean Shwetabh , I miss him too. ;(

Anyway, very nice team. A few little things I noticed:

1) Every pokemon on your team (exc. Rayray) loses to Ho-Oh. So definitely take a mixed Rock Slide set on Lando into account, as Josh stated.

2) Scarf Timid Kyuw seems a tad unnecessary, as Scarf Modest outspeeds everything important. This will allow for a bit more firepower and allow the slaughtering of many more things.

Thanks for the shoutout, and if anything needs clarification please PM me.

:D

Good RMT Sage!
I'd advise a couple of changes, first, as Josh said, you could replace Aegislash with Klefki (but using Kelfki is a dishonourable thing so use Aegi if you want to, nvm this though as I keep saying this since I hate Klefki).
About Defensive Xerneas, I'm not so convinced o.O If you think defensive fairy works for you, try Fairy-Arceus maybe?

Nice team otherwise, and nice anti-lead :)

P.S. - The sprites?! o.O

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)