Other Metagames Anything Goes GeoXern Balance- Infamous for being shit

Physical ferrothorn good?

• Total voters

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I've used this team for ages. The highest this got to was mid-high 1800s. I'll try to give a firmer estimate soon. This was my first team I built that was somewhat serious.

So this is the first time I'm doing a RMT on smogon, and apparently you need music, so here's some:
The teambuilding process of this team was as follows:
I wanted to build 'round geomancy xerneas. Very powerful sweeper, if it gets a chance to set up, but has many a check and counter in the anything goes metagame.
(i cant figure out how to do pictures here, so i'll just do text lel, nc means not chosen)
Xerneas/nc/nc/nc/nc/nc
Then I chose to grab physically defensive ferrothorn and spdef chansey to provide a solid defensive backbone for this team. They work well together, as chansey deals with almost all special attackers, while ferro deals with most physical attackers.
Xerneas/Ferrothorn/Chansey/nc/nc/nc
Then IIRC, I chose mega rayquaza for some reason. I originally had a standard ddance variant. This works well with the rest of the team since many of xerneas's checks are dealt with easily by mega rayquaza, such as necrozma-dusk-mane.
Xerneas/Ferrothorn/Chansey/Mray/nc/nc
Then, I chose marshadow, to deal with many checks to xerneas, especially dusk mane.
Xerneas/Ferrothorn/Chansey/Mray/Marshadow/nc
Originally, I chose primal kyogre for the last slot for some ungodly reason, but when my friend Botice Mi Senpi took a look at my team, he recommended I replace it with support fairyceus to check mray and provide some much needed hazard control. He also suggested some other changes, but I declined since I just wanted to pilot this to 1600 lel. Around this time, I also changed my Mray set to scarf, since I felt it better helped my xerneas in sweeping.

More recently, a couple of my friends have made considerable edits to my team, and I will be including their edits with the importable in pokepaste form. In general, they didn't have problems with my offensive members outside of the lack of stallbreakers, but had issues with my defensive backbone galore.
Team Description:
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Psychic/Psyshock/Grass Knot/Focus Blast
Pretty standard geoxern. Only notable move on here is the last move. Psychic/psyshock is run to hit arceus-poison (and for psyshock chansey), which I have some issues with. This does cause a bit of a weakness to steel types, however, but the rest of the team should be able to handle it. Focus blast is for steels, although I don't usually run it due to inconsistency, I used to run grass knot just for pdon, but with the rise of specially defensive pdons built to take focus blast at +2, which means it can take grass knot at +2, it becomes less useful.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a pretty good pokemon for dealing with physical attackers, especially the ever-present EKiller. I chose ferro partially because it is my favorite pokemon, but also because it seemed the most prudent choice for a physically defensive pokemon. It's steel typing helps against poison, as well as being able to set up rocks. Other options such as lugia and Yveltal don't seem to work as well with the rest of my team, since they start to stack weaknesses.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
Chansey is a really good special wall. Even a boosted geomancy xerneas will not be able to break through it at +2 (if it doesnt have psyshock), and chansey can even hold it's own against +4 boosted xern. Heal bell helps with dealing with burns. This makes a good partner with ferrothorn because the special attackers that ferro sometimes has trouble with are dealt with by chansey. You can run confide on this if you wish, but I can't bring myself to get rid of seismic toss or heal bell.

Rayquaza @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Surf
The choice of mega is obvious. I chose to run a scarfed variant, since it allows me to check most rayquaza sets with a draco meteor, kill steel types with v-create, and destroy primal groudon with surf. This helps get rid of a lot of checks/counters to geoxern.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Toxic
Standard support arceus fairy. Checks mray, checks zygarde, checks marshadow, et cetera. It also gives hazard control with defog. Y'all probably already know how this thing works.

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
I chose bulk up marshadow because it's fighting moves work well against steels (excepting necrozma-dm, which is dealt with by the ghost moves). It is a good wallbreaker, and my main tool in dealing with baton pass. It's also a good choice for my z-move here.

Weaknesses:
Stall is a dick to deal with. None of my pokemon have sufficient power to take it on, and tbh I don't have the patience either.
Ho-oh and primal groudon both straight up beat my defensive backbone, and are problematic for the offensive portion of my team as well.
Smashpass, and other bp strats are annoying too, since I don't have anything that can really deal with it.
Support arceus formes with will-o-wisp are bitches to fight.
Replays: (note that i played like ass in these, see my past shit play)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-880021428 : fluffie suks lel
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-869483156 - tttg getting pissed at me as usual lel, also one of my higher scores
I'll add some more soon TM
Revised versions:
TTTG revised:https://pokepast.es/c48c3a0d3c2ae0a1 - ttar added as a physical defensive poke over chansey, ferro changed to special def
AGL revised:https://pokepast.es/d2edf3ba7f6d8411
Acknowledgments: Everyone in roy's pokelounge for being good friends
MDB: pls make that cringe compilation
TTTG: thank you so goddamn much for everything.
AGL: thx for being a friend
Botice mi Senpi: Thanks for the edits man

Last edited:

baconeatinassassin

smile!
is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
Hey there,

Your team isn't too bad, it just needs a few changes and some polishing. As you mentioned towards the start, your defensive backbone seems to be the more troublesome part of your team, so I'll focus on that first.

->

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers/Safety Goggles
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Thousand Arrows
- Rest
- Toxic/Glare

I don't exactly understand Ferrothorn that much, while it does sort of check some Necrozmas and E-Killers, it can't deal with most other physical attackers and places a lot of pressure on Fairyceus to do so. To alleviate this issue, I suggest using Haze Zygarde. You lack a reliable Groudon switchin, and you mentioned in your threatlist that smashpass was in issue, which is why I chose it, along with the fact that it can still beat E-Killer and Dusk-Mane to an extent. It's up to you whether you want to chose Toxic or Glare on it, Toxic helps against passive mons that may switch in while Glare helps against offensive threats. You can use Safety Goggles if you feel you're especially weak to Baton Pass.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Confide

Confide is necessary on Chansey to allow it to beat any Calm Mind Refresh Arceus/Calm Mind Steelceus, both of which are quite troublesome for your team. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere else to put Stealth Rock, so it'll have to go on this.

Another large problem I find with your defensive core is that all three mons lose to Gengar. To try and ease the matchup, I'll move on to the offensive core.

1558089327607.png
->

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Marsh can scare Gar out easily, and if you predict correctly, you can take advantage of this with the move Pursuit. While this change has its drawbacks, I feel it's necessary unless you want to fit ttar or something into the team. Pursuit can also help trap walbreakers like Lunala and Rayquaza.

Not being Z Bulk Up kind of sucks and sort of ruins the offensive synergy, but it leaves a Z-slot open, allowing Xerneas to run Z Geo.

->

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Ingrain/Sleep Talk

I decided to keep Xerneas since you decided to build your team around it, but changed it to Z Geomancy as this set doesn't require as much support as regular Geomancy. You beat a lot of common Pokemon that could usually check Xern, such as Poisonceus, Groudon and Ho-oh, and don't have to rely on teammates to lure these in. It can even beat Defensive Dusk-Mane as long as it's burnt, which explains my next suggestion:

1558088341799.png

Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog

Will-O-Wisp helps Xerneas sweep a considerable amount, and while it is optional, I do recommend it.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Delta Stream
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic

Just a relatively small change, Toxic on Ray helps it break past walls like Lugia and Arceus, helping in the stall matchup a bit, while Surf isn't needed anymore with Zygarde on the team.

1558090135304.png
1558085998153.png
1558087682849.png
1558091794109.png
1558088341799.png
1558089327607.png

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Ingrain

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Thousand Arrows
- Rest
- Toxic

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Confide

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Delta Stream
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic

Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)