AG Anything Goes Ladder Tournament - Playoffs (Won by Velvet Blood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to have to call activity, adf kind of lags on replying back for 1 thing and has not showed up on ps or answered to what time he would be on during the days we scheduled. I don’t like calling activity tbh and would like to get the games done, but I will have to ig.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok don't get me wrong, ADF scheduled awfully here. But I can't reasonably call activity because you never set a time either. Just asking when he'd be around instead of trying to get something concrete isn't enough to give you activity here, you definitely scheduled better and have been more active but it still amounted to "hey maybe you can play around now"? I'm giving this an extension, try setting an actual time instead of hoping you'll run into each other.

Round 3 (challonge bracket)

MDB vs Satanic Beast
DontStealMyPenguin vs Zenithial
zugubu royale vs Velvet Blood
GRNBLN vs AnythingGoesLegend

The deadline is Sunday, June 16th, 10pm EST. The deadline for the extension is Wednesday, June 12th, 10pm EST. Replays are still required, just post them please. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I’m going to have to call activity, adf kind of lags on replying back for 1 thing and has not showed up on ps or answered to what time he would be on during the days we scheduled. I don’t like calling activity tbh and would like to get the games done, but I will have to ig.
this is the part where you drop out :psysly:
zen/velvet to win it all

Unwanted Predictions:
MDB vs. Satanic Beast - all in all MDB is just the better player here imo, but ik edgar can get access to some good teams if he needs to
DontStealMyPenguin vs. Zenithial - DSMP still GOAT but he just hasn't been in it as consistently as he used to. Also Stalls is really fuckin good.
zugubu royale vs velvet blood - I'm pretty sure ADF is gone for the military so idk why nobody's learned that yet. Also velvet is just a really solid all around player and I think will pull this off.
GRNBLN vs AnythingGoesLegend - AGL has pulled upsets before and could happen again, but GRN's just been on his game lately and I can't see him losing this.

Unwanted Predictions:
MDB vs. Satanic Beast - all in all MDB is just the better player here imo, but ik edgar can get access to some good teams if he needs to
DontStealMyPenguin vs. Zenithial - DSMP still GOAT but he just hasn't been in it as consistently as he used to. Also Stalls is really fuckin good.
zugubu royale vs velvet blood - I'm pretty sure ADF is gone for the military so idk why nobody's learned that yet. Also velvet is just a really solid all around player and I think will pull this off.
GRNBLN vs AnythingGoesLegend - AGL has pulled upsets before and could happen again, but GRN's just been on his game lately and I can't see him losing this.
Could’ve told me about adf reee

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
I may be dead and gone, but the try-hardshit-posting will continue. We got some more predicts in bound:

MDB vs Satanic Beast - MDB slayed the dragon master last round to become the one true ruler. In game 3, MDB took advantage of a few Skarph misplays, played his win-conditons correctly, and with some in-chat "ghosting" from the greatest AG player this gena small amount of hax, MDB was able to upset the tournament's number one seed. This round won't necessitate the mountain of an effort that took, but the mastermind behind dual-fairy HO will have a few tricks up his sleeve. Edgar hadn't lost a game in the first two rounds, but even he knows he dodged a bullet with MDB winning. Edgar has resources and a GOAT-builder in the back. It's going to be too much. The Luckiest Player in the World™ continues the kill streak. Edgar advances on aggregate.

DontStealMyPenguin vs Zenithial - Easily the highlight of this round. Both combatants were pushed to game 3's in their respective series and this one looks to be more of the same. DSMP brought bs and won. Zen brought some mostly standard and eliminated tournament-darling Arushii. Will anyone ever take my stupid advice and bring the Magnezone that would have 6-0'd all three games? Probably not. Though I'm rooting for him here, Zen is going to have his hands full with this one. DSMP in 6.You know what? I need to change the Matrix if I don't want DSMP to win this with para-spam. He's going to have to prepare out the ass for this and hope DSMP doesn't just luck through, but I think Zen can do this. Zen in 5.

zugubu royale vs Velvet Blood ~murr~ - Okay, I genuinely didn't realize zugubu beat HB until like 10 minutes ago. Those were some fairly convincing wins, if a bit matchup dependent. I have to give credit to anyone that resurrects Alolan Muk from the grave. Velvet Blood <3 was able to pressure ADF for that sweet sweet activity win. She probably would have been able to bring a Rhydon or something. This is a battle with some international flavor. I still don't know too much about zugubu's playstyle or team choices. Picking love VB until then. VB in five: 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.

GRNBLN vs AnythingGoesLegend - Well, our young pure heroine was defeated by the real-racist antifa threat AGL ("Feel the Bern?" More like "Feel the Xern" amirite). No more OwO's or rawr xd's will be had. Now roving gangs of leftists will be going around the country offering free healthcare and meming "Go on Chapo". literally the same fucking team three games in a row fuck all i had to do was bring a fucking gear + scarfer fuck fuck fuckAGL's series proved three things. (1) Xerneas is the best Pokemon in the meta, (2) seriously, it puts in so much work versus weird, and (3) Lele > Fini. This round however, AGL is probably going to be facing something a little more standard. Green Berlin was able to get through bulkier forms of offense last round by freezing them. He needs to be prepared for it's faster, hyper cousin. But if there's someone that knows how to handle basic HO especially when it's the same team three games in a row fuck, it's GRNBLN. Now this is not to say AGL is dead in the water. We know what happened the last time those damn antifascists went against a German in command. I'm just saying that he has an uphill battle ahead of him. Germany 2 - America 0.

I don't have a segue into a conclusion, so I'm just going to drop a link to a GOAT, Tambourine by Eve.

GL HF

Silent Mobius

Banned deucer.
I don't think anybody is going to outdo VGC's predicts post, so I am going to make this simple.

Remaining Predictions:
MDB(45) vs. Satanic Beast(55) - I normally would pick MDB and he was no question very impressive in dethroning Skarph(albeit with the help of a game 3 crit), but I feel Edgar has the rhythm going, has unlimited resources and is playing well. I believe he will take this if he preps well.
zugubu royale(40) vs velvet blood(60) - Zugubu is good, but he will have his hands full vs VB.
GRNBLN(60) vs AnythingGoesLegend(40) - AGL has the goods to pull this off, but I just feel GRN has been very solid lately( currently in ssnl semi finals) and will ultimately prevail.

Last edited:
Lost in two vs AGL ggs and gl! After a family emergency yesterday I contemplated to drop out of this tour but thought that would be against tournament spirit and decided to play regardless of that and being sure to not be on my "A"game. Not saying AGL shouldnt or couldnt have won he is great player and again all the best for the rest of this, all I am asking is dont judge me based on those two games. Thank you

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
We're here in the final four of AGLT. We saw some great games, some complete dogshit and some heartbreak. With regards to team-choices, there hasn't been too many surprises, Drampa withstanding. It should be noted that a few metagame staples, like Arc-Poison and ScarfRay, have largely failed to put up the expected large numbers throughout this tournament. One thing that's been clear however is that CM Arc has shown exactly why it's the best closer in the metagame. I fully expect to see more of it here.

Satanic Beast vs Zenithial - Edgar's Gastro hard-balance was able to withstand MDB's breaker Heatran last round. Who knew the best Heatran-counter in OU also worked in AG? SM did lmao #DieByTheSlug #SlugForD. CM Rocks Arc-Steel also proved to be an unorthodox but major asset and was able to close out game three. The defensive pressure applied by the Rocks Arc-Steel + Toxic support is brutal to face without a positive matchup. Nearly every mon that could have beaten the core would have been shut down by StallTwo. Awesome preparation and teambuilding. Edgar has been absolutely dominant OwO throughout this tournament, though he's now facing the biggest roadblock yet. Edgar is taking on the People's Champion, Zenithial. Zen BATTERED RAVAGED DESECRATED defeated the BASTARD dreaded para-spam last round. If Thunder Wave/Glare-spam is MRSA, then Zen is Vanc+cefepime (Name a more iconic duo.. I'll wait.) Kudos to Zen for preparing strong teams with favorable matchups and making the safe and good plays versus DSMP. Zen has proven himself to be the hero AG deserves, but not the one it needs right now. I don't know what that means, but he beat the yellow-color and that's all that matters. Zen has been shown to favor bulky offense and mid-balances, but he can play virtually every single team archetype competently. He'll never make flashy plays just to gain positioning and prefers to make a safer mid-ground. Edgar can take advantage in those moments if he doesn't want to try to win solely on matchup. Trying to beat Zen on matchup alone is going to be difficult. Each of Zen's playstyles have just too many mons to cover that it's impossible to counter him with one team. But if there's anyone that was in the tourney that could build around and counter-team Zen, it's Edgar. Edgar has the previously mentioned resources and insider knowledge, has a GOAT-builder helping prep, can play nearly every playstyle well, and is on a fucking roll. This series is going to be nasty, and I think Edgar can pull off the upset. Edgar in 7.

Velvet Blood :ooo vs AnythingGoesLegend - VB staved off elimination versus zugubu. Game one looked dicey as VB had sacked her Scarf Yveltal counter early in the game. Scarf Yveltal showed why it's the fourth worst Pokemon to face as it was able to clean from there. Game two had VB with two frail special-attacking ghosts in hand facing down an Alolan Muk. She played out of her mind, made some good plays while avoiding virtually all poisons, and VB forced the game three. Game three, VB's Scarf Ho-Oh put on a showcase. Both VB and zugubu played really well and this was easily the highlight of the round. Both looked to be hesitant to bring any sort of prepared counter-team and they both brought general goodstuffs. This round however, preparation should be a bit easier as Velvet Blood has AGL in the semifinals. AGL used his standard lineup of BS + PsySpam and he was able to overwhelm GRNBLN, like many of his previous rounds. "Wow! PsySpam is being used a lot this tournament. It must mean it's viabl- oh wait it's all coming from AGL nvm". Note how I've picked against AGL every series because he's my friend and I secretly wanted him to win by not jinxing him. That being said and this is now out in the open, he's going to lose here. Velvet Blood has just too much skill and preparation. She will need to consider making safe mid-ground switches throughout this series as AGL is going to try to gain favorable positioning. Offenses just aren't the hardest of playstyles to shut down. AGL has been attempting to learn Magnemite stall to complete his transformation into Xynix aka bullshit HO/BP followed by misplaced stall teams. That's good of him trying to expand his playstyles, but in order to successfully stall high-level competition, like VB, you'd have to more than adept at fat. What I'm saying is that there's no way in hell VB is getting stalled out. I am advising her, however, to bring a non-stall weak team that won't be dead-weight versus the more likely Webs, PsySpam, or SmashPass, just in case. Something weird, like Fini, Koko, Hoopa-U, or Serperior could be considered. Maybe even a Sub Keen Eye Drapion. If Silent Mobius could form the Xynix-cteam, VB can do the same to AGL. Hint: it starts with a Gear. I'm seriously struggling to bet against Velvet Blood here. VB 3 - AGL 1.

With these two series, expect to see some great hard-hitting offenses. Plays are going to be required from all four player, so these should be some good games. I still haven't learned how to bridge ideas yet, so here's a link to The Greatest by Sia. Happy Pride month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)