SM OU Anything I can do to improve the team? Mega Gyarados

I've been using this team in Showdown quite a bit (I also use it in-game, but moreso in Showdown since I can almost never seem to find a match in game). And It hasn't been performing as well as I would like it to. Some suggestions would be nice. Note: when suggesting edits, it would be nice if you could try not to suggest pokemon that require specific Hidden Power types, as I find them very frustrating to get in-game. If the set absolutely requires it, then feel free, but please try to refrain. The only pokemon that is (unfortunately) mostly off-limits for suggestions is Magearna. I already have one that is mostly intended for use in Trick Room, and I can't get another one in-game. I would also appreciate if you could detail why the suggestion was made, thank you.

Riptide (Gyarados-Mega) (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Fairly self-explanatory. The main sweeper of the team. Gyarados can check the fire types that Tapu Bulu and Kartana don't want to deal with (though it may not do as well against Volcarona and Charizard Y if the opponent predicts correctly). Gyarados can also act as a pivot for Heatran to absorb ground-type attacks and threaten out strong ground type attackers like Garchomp, Landorus-T, Mega Swampert in the rain and Excadrill in sand (Mega Swampert is usually forced out due to the threat of a rain boosted waterfall). Gyarados can threaten out Blacephalon after it has Mega evolved, which is especially helpful if it's a Choice Scarf Blacephalon, as Shadow Ball is highly lethal to Tapu Lele and Fire Blast is very threatening to Kartana and Tapu Bulu. Mega Gyarados can switch in on choice-locked Tapu Lele, which is overall a very threatening attacker. Earthquake allows it to hit Toxapex and Rotom Wash, which would normally wall Mega Gyarados, Magearna, who threatens Mega Gyarados with a Volt Switch or a Fleur Cannon, and Mega Mawile. Taunt greatly eases up the team's matchup versus stall.

Masamune (Kartana) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Smart Strike

Kartana is a late game cleaner that can come in and sweep once the opposing team is weakened. Much like Gyarados, Kartana can threaten out strong ground type attackers that threaten Heatran. Kartana also pairs nicely with Tapu Bulu, which sets up Grassy Terrain and increases the power of Kartana's Leaf Blade. Kartana also scares out the fairy types that can threaten Mega Gyarados, with the exception of Tapu Koko. Heatran is the defensive check to most fairies, but Kartana is the offensive pivot for fairy types. Kartana can most notably beat Tapu Bulu, which Gyarados often struggles against, even with Ice Fang, Unaware Clefable, which usually beats Gyarados one-on-one whether it has Mega evolved or not, Tapu Fini, which Gyarados tends to struggle with, and non Choice Scarf variants of Tapu Lele. Kartana can also beat water types that Gyarados tends to struggle with like both Greninja forms, both Keldeo forms (even though the only difference is with one move, which is a move that Keldeo pretty much always runs), the aforementioned Tapu Fini, Rotom-Wash (although Gyarados packs Earthquake), and Gastrodon. Kartana also deals decently well with a few grass types that Gyarados may sometimes struggle with like the aforementioned Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn not running HP Fire (which is fairly uncommon, but not unseen) and Tangrowth (though the matchup may be a bit shaky). Kartana can also switch in on poision attacks for Tapu Bulu.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

Tapu Bulu acts as both an offensive and defensive pivot for multiple pokemon on the team. Tau Bulu pairs nicely with both Heatran and Kartana, weakening ground type moves and scaring out ground type attackers for Heatran, boosting grass moves, switching into fighting type moves and special moves for Kartana. With the given EV spread and an Assault Vest, Tapu Bulu is never 2HKO'd by Psychic from Modest Choice Specs Tapu Lele. Earlier I mentioned that Kartana can beat fairy types for Gyarados except for Tapu Koko and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu is the switch-in for both of those, taking very little from anything Tapu Lele uses and shrugging off a Thunderbolt and HP Ice From Tapu Koko. Superpower is used to deal with Ferrothorn, which loves coming in on Tapu Bulu. Although Zapdos solidly counters Ferrothorn, being able to immediately threaten Ferrothorn is a boon for Tapu Bulu. Tapu Bulu also deals with water types that Gyardos tends to struggle with like both Greninja forms, both Keldeo forms (even though the only difference is with one move), Tapu Fini, Gastrodon and opposing Mega Gyarados.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos is an additional pivot for physical attackers, and one of two primary switch-ins to steel types in the tier. The most notable pokemon that Zapdos checks/counters for the team are Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Toxapex, Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Tangrowth (AV Tangrowth is a bit shaky), Skarmory, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile and Hawlucha. Zapdos can pressure Toxapex (although the rest of the team has a decent matchup versus Toxapex, it's a fairly common sight, so it's nice to have answers to it), switch in on Keldeo locked into Secret Sword, and counter Mega Pinsir, which the team can struggle to find solid answers to otherwise.

TX (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Heatran provides utility for the rest of the team, with Stealth Rock and Taunt to shut down and wear down stall teams, and a switch-in to many attacks. Heatran can safely switch in on fire type attacks for Kartana and Tapu Bulu, poison and steel type attacks for Tapu Bulu and Tapu Lele, ice type attacks for Zapdos and Tapu Bulu, grass types and grass type attacks for Mega Gyarados (though it is threatened by Tangrowth carrying Earthquake, Tapu Bulu with Superpower and most Kartana since they usually carry Sacred Sword), and fairy type attacks for Mega Gyarados as well. Although Earth Power is weakened by Grassy Terrain, most of Heatran's intended opponents don't take very much damage from most other options Heatran has. Leftovers are used to give Heatran recovery, which stacks with Grassy Terrain and provides even more recovery. Heatran also deals well with steel types like Ferrothorn, Magearna, Mega Scizor not carrying Superpower, Magnezone, Mega Mawile and Skarmory. Upon forcing an opponent out, Heatran can proceed to set up rocks.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire

Tapu Lele is the main revenge killer of the team. Although prone to being revenge killed itself, especially with a modest nature, most if not all of the pokemon capable of revenge killing it are handled by the rest of the team. Scarf Blacephalon is threatened by mega Gyarados, Scarf Keldeo is scared of Tapu Bulu, who also deals with Scarf Garchomp, Scarf Tapu Koko, Ash Greninja and Scarf T-tar, Zapdos deals with Scarf Kartana, Hawlucha, Mega Pinsir and Mega Scizor. Jirachi and Kyuren Black are also dealt with by other members of the team. With Hidden Power Fire, Tapu Lele can take care of Ferrothorn, non-scarf Kartana, Celesteela, and Mega Scizor.

Last edited:
Most fire attacks would KO Kartana and I wouldn't really want to keep Kartana in on a fire type. Besides, I have Heatran and Gyarados to switch into fire attacks. I use defensive Zapdos, which benefits from additional Leftovers recovery.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Also don't give your Kartana Occa Berry, already seemed like you weren't going to use it. Just making sure.

Edit: Open

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)