VGC Anything to do to Help with my VGC Team?

I wanted to create a VGC Team that would threaten weather control pokemon and a fair few of Bulky Ones.

The Team: https://pokepast.es/bdb0e55ae54f138a

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 161 HP / 252 Atk / 50 Def / 45 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Lash Out
- Superpower

Tyranitar is here to threaten other Drizzle and Drought Users, as well as incoming Tyranitars and excadrill. Superpower is a guaranteed OHKO attack for these two main threats. Lash out was particularly useful for Incoming Intimidate users like Incineroar who would be teamed up with dragapult so another OHKO there. Togekiss is another main threat because of its bulk, however running stone edge is too risky and Rock slide will not do enough to a Normal Togekiss.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulldoze
- Trick Room
- Pain Split

I have purposely made Tyranitar slow for the Trick Room/ Weakness policy sweep. Trick Room is particularly nice for these two because of their natural bulk in Physical defenses and somewhat special as well. This works amazingly with the added effect of bulldoze for the soul purpose to activate Tyranitar's Weakness Policy. Pain split is there for incoming Toxapexes and Togekiss's which would be a guarantee kill for Tyranitar. Will-O-Wisp is very useful for Physically run Dragapults, excadrills and other Tyranitars as well which are big threats to this team.

Palossand @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Terrain Pulse
- Shadow Ball

Palossand is my natural bulky monster, who eats up dracos and from Dragapult and other opposing threats. He is a very safe and reliable Pokemon with the ability sand veil to miss other opposing dracos, rock slides and overall any major threats to this team. Sand Veil also allows the Palossand to regain health more safely in the sandstorm. Safety goggles are there for Spore running shinotics and Amoongus's as well. Terrain pulse is becoming increasingly handy against Indeedee's and Rilaboom's who are very popular and can set up Terrains as well.

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 82 HP / 70 Def / 252 SpA / 104 SpD
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Burning Jealousy
- Protect
- Earth Power

Torkoal is my 2nd Weather Setter. He can eat up hits very well and dish a lot off damage back thanks to the sun and Charcoal boosted Burning Jealousy's. With Dusclop's Trick room activated, Torkoal can sweep through teams with eruption at full health and can easily live dracos from dragapult and an earthquake from offensive Excadrill's. Burning jealousy has become super useful from Max Airstream Togekiss's and Earth power is there for other Tyranitar's.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Grimmsnarl is one of my favourite pokemon because it works so well with Tyranitar. Always having to set up a reflect first with Tyranitar is too good. Spirit Break is very good against other duralodons which means we will survive the incoming flash cannon from them. Taunt works very well with other Amoongus's and Follow Me Togekiss's as well. Thunder wave is especially useful against other Dragapults and Cinderace's which then we can widdle down their HP with Spirit Break.

Venusaur-Gmax @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 108 HP / 52 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm

Finally is Venusaur-Gmax This guy can dish out soo much damage with leaf storm, Its too good to not be in a team. It Works very well with my Bulky Torkoal and with Sleep powder which almost hits every time, It is almost game Over for the other Team. Sludge bomb is a threat for other Togekiss's, hatterines and Alcremies's as well. It has the Physical bulk to live High Horsepowers from other Physical Attacker's as well as providing support for my pokemon.. G-Max vine lash is a good way to stall out and tank lots of hits while Doing lots of damage in return.

Cool team you have here! Not sure how much help I can offer in terms of the team composition itself without seeing it in action, but I can give a few pointers on optimizing the Pokemon themselves.

First of all, I'm a big fan of multi-mode teams, especially in VGC 2020, so it's great that your team works well in Sun, Sand, and Trick Room. Another general note, it would be super helpful if you explained what all of your EV spreads do instead of just leaving us to guess. With that said, on to the actual suggestions!

Tyranitar is obviously non-negotiable for your team, and I wouldn't change its moves or item. That said, that EV spread is suboptimal: EV numbers in VGC should always have a remainder of 4 when divided by 8. The closest such spread to what you have is 156 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Def / 44 SDef / 4 Spe, which will give TTar an extra point of Defense without dropping any of its other stats. This may seem very minor, but it's super important to grab every advantage you can get. I would also consider running a Brave nature with 0 Speed IVs in order to take better advantage of Trick Room, especially to underspeed things like Incineroar which seldom run Speed-reducing natures.

For Dusclops, I would recommend running Night Shade in place of either Will-o-Wisp or Pain Split, so that it has a way to deal damage and pick off weakened enemies, as well as have something to fall back on if it has nothing else to do on a turn.

Palossand... I wish I could say otherwise, but I don't think it's very good in the current metagame. I'm also a little bit confused as to what its purpose is on your team; you say that it tanks hits, but you've already got Dusclops for that. Looking at your team, it would benefit from some form of redirection to protect Pokemon like Tyranitar and Torkoal who really don't want to take damage; if you still want this team slot to be able to deal damage, I think Togekiss would be a good option, with a set such as:

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry / Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Follow Me
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash / Heat Wave
- Protect / Yawn / Tailwind

Pretty standard stuff; I went with Max SAtk / Max Speed, but bulky spreads are also viable. Togekiss is immune to Draco Meteor (which you specifically mentioned in your Palossand description), as well as 4x resisting Fighting-type moves that often target Tyranitar. Follow Me allows it to actively draw these moves instead of just passively sitting there. Dazzling Gleam is for standard damage; Air Slash gets STAB and can be fun with flinches, while Heat Wave benefits from sun. The fourth move is mostly personal preference; I tend to like Yawn in order to force out opposing Dynamax Pokemon.

Torkoal is mostly fine; the one thing I would point out is that Torkoal always wants to be Quiet with a 0 IV in Speed in order to be as slow as possible for Trick Room.

Grimmsnarl is also good, though its EV spread and nature make no sense to me; you're running Hasty with no Speed investment, and then 252 SAtk with Spirit Break (physical) as its only move. I would recommend 252 HP / 116 Def / 132 SDef / 4 Spe with a Careful nature instead; this spread gives it good bulk on both sides, which seems to be its main purpose on your team. If you want to do more damage you could also run 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SDef / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature instead.

Venusaur doesn't have any obvious things that need to be changed, though again it would be nice to see your reasoning behind its EV spread.

Hope this helps! I wish I could give more in-depth help than this, but I'm afraid I'm not quite qualified myself.

Last edited:
Thanks so much man! This is my first time creating a VGC team and i am realtively new to VGC. Sorry for messing up my EV spreads. I really wanted most of my pokemon to survive draco meteor's from scarf hydreigons or specs dragapults. Thanks for everything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)