Apex 2013 - Cash Prizes for Pokémon at World's Largest Smash Bros. Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Apex is an annual tournament held in New Brunswick, New Jersey that has become the largest Super Smash Bros. event of the year. In addition to being the World's largest Smash Bros. tournament, it is also a Major in the FGC featuring top talent in games like Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Marvel vs Capcom 3. For a second year in a row, Apex will be including Pokémon in its lineup.

Date: Friday January 11th, 2013
Start Time: 5:00 PM
Venue: Student Center (Rutgers University), 126 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Entrance Fee: $10 (In addition to $20 Spectator Fee if not competing in other events or $45 Venue Fee if competing in other events)
Prize: Top 3 get cash prizes (amount TBD)
Ruleset: Modified - See PDF for Full Rules
Format: Single Game, Double Elimination. Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals to be played as Best of 3.
Tournament Organizers: Angel Miranda (Sapphire Birch) and Mark Korsak (ChiboSempai)
Later rounds in the tournament will be streamed live by CLASH Tournaments starting at 8:00 PM Eastern. Before that, the stream will showcase doubles matches in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

[youtube]moXb78ZNgho[/youtube]

Qualifiers
Like last year, this will be a seeded tournament. Seeding will be determined by qualifiers leading up to the event. Two of the six qualifiers are left. Unlike last year, these qualifiers will be held using the Nintendo WiFi Connection rather than Pokémon Online. Nugget Bridge's Live tournaments are being used as qualifiers.

Your seeding in the tournament will be determined by the points you receive for the live tournaments. If you’re planning to attend Apex, we recommend you play in as many live tournaments as possible over the next month! Events are held over the Nintendo WiFi Connection and threads will be posted in the Online Tournaments forum before every event. You are asked to please join #nuggetbridge on SynIRC for the duration of live tournaments.
  1. Qualifier #1 on Sunday, December 2nd, 2012
  2. Qualifier #2 on Thursday, December 6th, 2012
  3. Qualifier #3 on Wednesday, December 12th, 2012
  4. Qualifier #4 on Thursday, December 20th, 2012
  5. Qualifier #5 on Sunday, December 30th, 2012
  6. Qualifier #6 on Thursday, January 3rd, 2013
You are still able to play at Apex without playing in any qualifiers, but you will be unseeded.
Apex should be an incredibly cool experience and I encourage everyone in the area to show up!

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I will be attending and casting for the livestream of the tournament.

I stopped playing pokemon mid gen 4, but I've been following the FGC for ages. Hopefully this gets on stream and gets some interest. Would be great.

It's really neat to see pokemon recognized as a competitive game among other popular competitive games like smash bros.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I stopped playing pokemon mid gen 4, but I've been following the FGC for ages. Hopefully this gets on stream and gets some interest. Would be great.
As mentioned in the OP, Pokemon will be streamed starting at 8PM Eastern by CLASH Tournaments using Twitch. The stream should be featured on the home page of Smogon, Marriland, and Nugget Bridge.

As both a competitive Brawl and Pokemon player, I'm really hyped watching the stream. Can't wait till they start showing Pokemon though. Good luck to everyone (:

Woah! I don´t know the passion of SSB in this forum.
Almost I go to the tournament of smash bros melee... but I haven´t much money :(
Go Strawhat Dahean! Go OverTriforce! my spanish friends of Smas Bros. Melee! :D

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really like Super Smash Bros too but wow this gives me such a rush of perspective. I really suck worse than I thought xD I'm nowhere near as good as these guys. Although I am learning a lot just by watching.

Yeah, I haven't seen Pokemon up yet either - and they're STILL doing Doubles for Brawl, which means they'll need to do Singles as well.

They should have had two separate streams imo

Okay so, I think Pokemon is currently going (if it didn't come and go already) w/o being streamed, on Twitch anyway ¬_¬

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28414729

That's apparently one of the matchups on Ustream for some reason.
I dunno man, kinda looking like the hype is all going to waste unless they're going to hold off playing the finals after Brawl doubles or something.

Firestorm

They're realllyyy behind schedule in Smash and it screwed up Pokemon completely. Should be up in a bit. Sorry for the stream on the front page of Smogon. That wasn't supposed to go live until Pokemon started and I didn't realize it was still up.

They really should have had separate streams for each Pokemon, Brawl, and Melee. And Brawl is really long because they stream both Doubles and Singles. But thanks for posting that anyway, at least it gives us something to look at, even if it was awkwardly filmed.

Pokémon is about to start! Everyone should go check it out, seems like there's some action about to go down. Ray Rizzo and Evan Latt are commentators.

(Is Ray one of ours?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)