Apprentice Program Signups: SUMO Battle Spot Singles (VGC DISCONTINUED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for SUMO Battle Spot Singles, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Skype, Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped previously in 2016. Link your sign-up post from last year by going to the B101 Archive located in Thread Cryonics underneath Closed Forums.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be deleted. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• NEW: You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
Any iteration of Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/DOU/LC from any of the past generations.
Any iteration of Battle Spot / VGC formats.

Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.

Username:
PS! Username:
What format do you want to learn:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
example said:
Username: plus
PS! Username: youngme7o
What format do you want to learn: BSS
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2007 and decided to join Smogon to get better. Since then, I've played in tournaments like WCOP 2009 and SPL 1 way back in the day. Admittedly I've had less time to burn on Pokemon since then, but I still have fair knowledge in OU / UU / NU for all generations from DPP onwards.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up in the future if:
  • You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Last edited:

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
assigned to Solerme

Username:
Lionyx
PS! Username: Lionyx
What format do you want to learn: SM Battle Spot Singles
Your timezone: GMT +1
Usual Hours of Availability: I should be available after 6/7 PM that's for sure, maybe a bit earlier because I don't know my timetable yet
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing competitive Pokémon since mid 2013 during the BW2 era. I played Smogon formats a lot before I discovered Battle Spot during the XY era. I've been playing it for hours but I never went above ~1600 points; today I still play Smogon formats but I am clearly more enjoyed about playing Battle Spot battles on both sim and 3DS. I'd like Battling 101 to help me become a better player and a better builder !
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Sure

Last edited by a moderator:
assigned to LegoFigure11

Username: Ghost2Hunt
PS! Username: Ghost2Hunt, Ghost2Huntx, IAmJustBad, ...
What format do you want to learn: Battle Spot Singles
Your timezone: GMT+1
Usual Hours of Availability: 7PM to 1AM my time during the week and 11AM to 1AM during the weekends.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started playing at the end of BW2 Ubers and continued playing the tier till like late ORAS, other than that I have played some OU and UU but wasn't as good in these tiers as I was in Ubers. Now that I play a wider variety of tiers I would love to get into BSS. I would say I have a decent understanding of what every pokemon does, speedtiers, etc. Not a competent teambuilder tho.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

assigned to cant say

Username: Dogknees
PS! Username: Dogknees
Your timezone: GMT +11
Usual Hours of Availability: 10:00am - 2:00am (Can vary on certain days)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in August 2016 and joined Smogon to get a bit more involved with the competitive side of Pokemon. Since then, I've played a lot of the OU / Ubers metagame, laddering and building teams to see how far my current knowledge would take me. Recently started learning the Battle Spot Singles metagame myself, but want to get a deeper and more advanced grip / understanding of the meta.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes (Discord, can get skype if needed)

(requesting cant say, tutor approved)

assigned to SamVGC

Username
: CalmBatRadio
PS! Username: CalmBatRadio
What format do you want to learn: VGC17
Your timezone: GMT-5
Usual Hours of Availability: 9PM-12AM to play/voice chat, 10AM-12AM on Discord/Skype, Text only.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I first started exploring competitive Pokémon during DPP, which is when I discovered Smogon. Since then, I have always dabbled around with OU, and been a fairly average player, usually able to make it to about 1500-1600 on my better teams (I assume this is average?). This year, I have committed to learning the VGC format, and am almost certain to be going to the Portland, OR regional. I've been following the metagame pretty closely, and I have a decent grasp of team building so far, but I find that I struggle most with in-game decision making, being new to the doubles format and all.

Assigned to Mr.GX

Username:
Raagentreg
PS! Username: Raagentreg
What format do you want to learn: VGC 2017
Usual Hours of Availability: Wednesdays all day, Tuesday / Thursday afternoons, Most evenings on all days.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Not a whole lot, have tried to get into it in previous years. Firstly VGC 2015, where I dabbled in showdown a bit. Then in 2016 where I prepared a cartridge team and played a fair bit more on showdown, and finally this year, where I'm much more interested in the format in its infancy and have played a fair bit in the time I can get. Briefly dabbled in OU before all of that, but only very briefly.

assigned to LightCoreVGC

Username
: Pixlet
PS! Username: Pix!et (new account, forgot old ones password)
What format do you want to learn: VGC 17
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays (after Jan 9) 4PM - 10PM, Saturday: 12PM - 10PM, Sunday 2PM - 8PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started late in 2014, mainly on Smogon (OU) and Battle Spot Doubles. I got burned out a bit in 2015, but jumped right into it back in 2016. I've entered a few tournaments, comning in Top 8, around 50% of the time. VGC 17 feel like a new beast compared to 16.

Assigned to PacoTaco

Username:
smithkavik
PS! Username: smithkavik
Your timezone: PST (GMT -8)
Usual Hours of Availability: flexible weekdays and Saturday 8 AM - 9 PM, Sundays 2 PM - 9 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I jumped back into pokemon with Alpha Sapphire about a year ago after a break since Crystal. I immediately began digging into competitive play, which led me directly to Smogon. I participated in an Ubers Battle 101 several months into it. The fresh and open nature of the VGC 2017 format / metagame has provided the umph for me to spend considerable time learning VGC / doubles style play through osmosis on PS! and my own research, but it’s a big topic and I’ve plateaued. I would love to work through win conditions, predictions, leads, and more (and maybe develop greater insight into team building with those facets in mind).

Joint Cena

I swear I'm nice!
Assigned to JHufself

Username:
Joint Cena
PS! Username: Joint Cena
Your timezone: UTC (GMT -3 hours)
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays Afternoon/Night (7pm-12pm), Weekends Night (9pm-12pm)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2015 and decided to join Smogon to get better. Since then, I've played in tournaments such as BSPL. Unfortunately, I haven't play Sun/Moon but Have knowledge on the Mons that are in Sun/Moon. However, I do have experience in playing OU/BSS since ORAS :)
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, Both

assigned to NOVED

Username
:Nintendogeniuses
PS! Username:Nintendogeniuses
What format do you want to learn: battle spot singles
Your timezone: est(gmt-5)
Usual Hours of Availability: 4pm to 10 pm est
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I played mostly bss for the last year or so. I think I'm better at making teams, because my main problem is going on tilt after losing a lot. I need to learn how to think before I act in games.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

Username: Chouru
PS! Username: Chouru
Your timezone: GMT-8 (PST)
Usual Hours of Availability: Every night after 7:30 or 8:00 PM. I am on discord all day on my phone.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started back in gen 2 when I first learned about IVs and EVs, and started battling my friends with a link cable. I played some Pokemon Online about 5 years ago, dabbling with different formats and teams. Have been off and on battling with friends when X and Y came out, and roght before SuMo came out got into Pokemon Showdown. Participated in Battle pf Alola and placed nine thousand something.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord all day

Assigned to Mr.GX

Username
: Lancelotl
PS! Username: Lancelotl
Your timezone: GMT+10 (currently +11 due to DST)
Usual Hours of Availability: 6:30-10pm on weekdays (sometimes available a few hours earlier on Fridays). 10am-10pm on weekends.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I got back into Pokemon with Pokemon Go! and it reminded me how much I loved the video games. I've started going to every PC available and I've been grinding out battles both on Showdown and on BattleSpot trying to get as much experience as I can. I tend to go about 3-3 in PCs. My main struggle is with team building, although I definitely have a lot to learn in other areas as well. I peaked on Battle Spot around 1650 and am currently sitting in the high 1500s
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Either, yes.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: I sure do.

assigned to Psynergy

Username
:CrzyCookie
PS! Username:CrzyCookie
What format do you want to learn: battle spot singles
Your timezone:GMT -8
Usual Hours of Availability:
Anytime after 4pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing competitive pokemon for about 1.5 years. I want to get into more cartridge formats so I thought this would be good for me. I have tried BSS before but never got a good grasp on it. I only play UU on PS for the moment.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both

assigned to NightLight26

Username
: Tofu
PS! Username: Kyuz0
Your timezone: UTC +11 (DST)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 6pm-11pm, weekends are flexible anytime after 9am.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
First time I played competitively was back in Gen4, playing OU and spending my time on pokecommunity.
Later on I got into the LC scene through the battling 101 program. Had a great experience with my tutor at the time, was a very enjoyable tier with a small but fun community of members.
I dabbled in VGC 15, even though I started fairly late in the season still had alot of fun with the format. Had wanted to try VGC/doubles for quite some time. Did not participate in the VGC16 format as it just did not interest me plus time was an issue.
Been really into VGC this season, format is very diverse and enjoyable, most I have played competitively in a long time. Keen to improve my knowledge of the format and ladder higher.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: yes

assigned to cant say

Username
: Sirmamay
PS! Username: Sirmamay
What format do you want to learn: Battle Spot Singles
Your timezone: GMT -6
Usual Hours of Availability: 8AM to 12PM and then 5PM until 12AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Battled in Alola Friendly, got 13 out of 30 wins, been battling on the rating battles in battle spot and my current record is 17 out of 39.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord preferably

assigned to Solerme

Username
: I dont care
PS! Username: Ya boi DontCare
Usual Hours of Availability: Well, the evening I'm totally free. But if it is a problem, I can endeavor and take time in the morning/afternoon.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon: I've been playing seriously competitive Pokémon since start 2013 with BW2.I played OU format a lot, VGC then and finally, in ORAS era, I discovered how funny was BS Single. Honestly I wasn't a good player, never reach 1600 points to make this clear, so, discouraged, I tried Ubers, enjoying the battling101 (it was 2015), and I got some result. With Sun and Moon I decided to try again BSS, but still I can't improve. I think my biggest problem is which Pokémon should I bring. Analyze the situation is my weak spot. Even team building is a problem for me, but that's a problem that I have not only in BSS. So this is why I want to join Battling101 for Battle Spot Single.This time I want to take it easy and better. I want to work hard to improve myself without rage out if I lose or been haxed. It's the game after all.

Assigned to Osirus182

Username
: 100 Hoes Kaido
PS! Username: Great Kaido
Your Timezone: GMT +1
Usual Hours of Availability: Evening mostly, I can also schedule different times if required
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon: Hello everyone, my dream is to build 100 Hyper Offensive teams and call them "Zoan Army" on my teambuilder folder, I started competitive back in late BW2, but stopped with XY, not a fan of SM OU right now and I'd like to try something different, a new experience I can enjoy, and so that I can figure out why many people like doubles, am also interested in the potential mindgames you can get having four, and not two mons on the field and how am I supposed to pick which members on the Preview, something that both Smogon Singles and Dobules don't account for.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I have Discord, yes

Username: daisyquake
PS! Username: vgcdaisy
Your timezone: GMT -5 (EST)
Usual Hours of Availability: I'm extremely flexible; 9am-10pm most days except Wednesday and Friday mornings.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I played Pokémon casually as a kid, but it wasn't until I picked it back up with XY/ORAS that I became aware of the competitive scene. I dabbled in OU and LC during ORAS but wasn't particularly good at either (not that I'm good now), mostly because I have 0 teambuilding skill and struggle with trying to figure out how Pokémon work together. I stumbled blindly into VGC at the beginning of this current season and found I enjoyed the format quite a bit, despite having never played doubles in the past. I guess I'm still pretty new to competitive Pokémon, all things considered, but I'd love the opportunity to improve my skills and be introduced to the community (as I tend to be rather shy).
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: either works for me!

Username:SmithyRC
PS! Username:SmithyRC
What format do you want to learn: vgc 17 doubles
Your timezone: GMT 0
Usual Hours of Availability: when schools on 6pm onwards, else rly whenever
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have made some very good teams for vgc 16 but need help to make better ones now plz! I have played pokemon since GBA and continue to do so ---> competitive stuff ive always struggeled to learn as no one has ever taught me :( I'm rly desperate sry
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: prefer discord if I have to choose one --> typing is rly best for me

Username: vijvcicsh
PO/PS! Username: hsd29
Your timezone: gmt+7
What format do you want to learn: VGC17 doubles
Usual Hours of Availability: free on weekends/ 10am-4pm on weekdays
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I'm an OUer, and I'm usually playing competitive in my spare time. I'm interested VGC17 and i want to learn it for more experiences
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: yes i can use both

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know there's been plenty of VGC sign ups, but I should let you all know is that there's a shortage of VGC tutors atm. I'm planning on rounding up a bunch of VGC tutors who have signed up and pushing them towards being available but for the moment please be patient with us :[

Username: Sora20XX
PS! Username: Sora20XX
Your timezone: GMT+10/11 (AES/DT)
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays 5-9 PM, Saturdays 3-9 PM (excluding last Saturday of each month), Sunday 6AM-9PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing ever since my local card game shop started hosting VGC tournaments, and have been one of the major driving forces for it to continue, despite popularity setbacks. I started in VGC15, doing poorly with my own designed teams, and decently with Big 6 in 16. I primarily wanted to be a breeder and judge (which I recently received my qualification for), but I always figure improving my skills as much as I can would go well towards making me a better judge, in a way.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I have a Skype account already set up, but if my tutor prefers Discord, I'll just need to take a quick look and potential crash course it it's use
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yeah

Assigned to NOVED

Username
: Holiano
PS! Username: Holiano / Kajitsu
What format do you want to learn: BSS
Your timezone: gmt+1
Usual Hours of Availability: whenever my assigned tutor want rly
I've been playing competitive mon since 2010, always liked lowtiers more, although i've started playing oldgens recently. I've been introduced to BSS with the first edition of BSSC, and I really enjoyed the format even though i'm kinda bad at it, I already have some knowledge, I'd like to learn teambuilding in priority as it is pretty different from others tiers due to the really cool choose 3 pick 6 rule.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: i'm really bad at using discord but i know how to type words so i guess it should works
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yea

Username: Deyoquaza
PS! Username: Deyoquaza
Your timezone: CET (GMT +1)
Usual hours of availability: Weekdays 5PM - 12AM (except for Tuesday and Wednessday), and usually not available in weekends.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon: I started playing Pokemon competitively in gen 5. I mainly played a lot of OU. I also played some NU back then, because I wanted to know what it was like. When gen 6 came around I got into competitive Pokemon more and more, and ended up having a very succesful team, reaching an elo of about 1600 in the OU tier. Now in gen 7 i haven't really started laddering all that much, but I have played a fair share of matches. Since I played a lot of OU, i'm not familliar to the doubles format, let alone the VGC format, where you have to choose 4 Pokemon. I really want to learn about it, which is why I am here.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes. I'm able to use both, but I prefer Discord over Skype.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes. I am aware of how the blacklist works.

assigned to Jio

Username
: PokeHendo147
PS! Username:PokeHendo147
Usual Hours of Availability: Monday after 9pm EST, Tue-Fri after 6pm EST, Sat-Sun all day
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started back in I’m pretty sure D/P/P running sand in OU and didn’t start VGC until about 2015 when the CHALK meta was around, I didn’t really go to any events with my knowledge at the time but played around with friends and Pokemon Showdown to test different teams. When 2016 was introduced I started playing more on a couple days to a weekly basis just because I enjoyed the meta. Although I was very unexperienced in the cores to build and Pokemon to use I decided to start off with the standard “Big 6” since it was mostly played to counter every team. After that I got a feel for what other teams used, as well as particular “problem Pokemon” the team had. Once 2017 was introduced I tried at first to get into it but was deeply confused about the meta. From spreads to run, to who should run Z-Moves, to which Pokemon are viable to use. I come in hopes to learn more and find easier way to figure out spreads to calc against.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both (prefer Discord)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)