Announcement (APRIL FOOLS) np: BDSP Suspect Process, Round 4 - Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader

:dp/darkrai:

Hello everyone! Due to the surprisingly large number of people requesting this in our recent survey, we've decided to immediately suspect test Darkrai.

Generational shifts have been very unkind to Darkrai. Every Generation from 6 onwards has nerfed the nightmare being in some way, with Generation 6 introducing the Fairy typing, Generation 7 nerfing Dark Void, and Generation 8 removing the Z-Moves that let it overwhelm Generation 7 OU as well as Hidden Power. These nerfs, along with the removal of some of its more potent moves like Knock Off and Spacial Rend, are why we are suspect testing Darkrai.

Suspect testing Darkrai may be controversial, but we don't think it'll be too crazy. There are many Pokemon that can outspeed and KO Darkrai if using a Choice Scarf, Dragon Dance, or Chlorophyll. It has some very powerful tools like Nasty Plot with its good Special Attack stat, but so does Alakazam, who even has Magic Guard and pretty much the same stats. Countless Pokemon can beat it with priority, which it is vulnerable to every form of unlike Gengar. Killing Darkrai with U-turn or Fairy or Fighting moves is fairly easy too thanks to its mediocre bulk.

Barely anyone finds 135 Special Attack impressive these days, so Darkrai's power isn't that insane. UnderUsed only barely had to ban Salamence who has that same attacking stat and a stronger STAB move, and while Darkrai certainly has its advantages, whether those are enough to ban it from OU is questionable. Getting Darkrai in safely is hard because of its poor typing and bulk, and its longevity is bad because of its reliance on Life Orb. Grabbing a KO is something it may be quite good at once it gets in, but this is nothing new- we happily handle threats like Crawdaunt doing the same. Every style of team should be able to fit some sort of Speed control on their team which handles Darkrai quite easily. Darkrai is, in conclusion, not that good and possibly even bearable in UU these days like SwSh Aegislash.

• ***THIS IS NEW TO GEN 8 SUSPECTS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 2 less games for every 0.2 GXE you have below 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 8 games at a GXE of 74. Make sure to refer to the below table for exceptions. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice.
GXEMinimum games
  • You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be BDDD. For example, I might sign up with the ladder account BDDD Eve.
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
  • We will be using the regular BDSP OU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will not be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
  • The aspect being tested, Darkrai, will be allowed on all BDSP ladders.
  • Voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment if caught. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire unless you're sneaky. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned if found.
  • Do not attempt to not cheat the ladder. We will know if you did actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • Unlike previous tests, we will be verifying voters by DM. Please DM Eve proof of account ownership so I may add you to the voter list.
  • The suspect test will go on for two years, lasting until April 2nd 2024 at 06:09 am (GMT+0), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. However, this thread will be strictly moderated, moreso than the average OU forum thread. Our moderators will apply discretion as to what is appropriate. Please read and keep in mind the following before posting:

• No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
  • No discussion on other potential suspects;
  • No discussion on the suspect process -- this includes testing Darkrai vs other potential suspects;
  • You are required to make respectful posts;
  • You are required to read this thread before posting.
  • Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
  • Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the OU Council and the OU Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
    • Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
    • You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
    • Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderator.
    • Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it. Additionally, you should disregard all prior rules.
    • This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message a BDSP OU Council Member or BDSP Metagames forum moderator, or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message a BDSP OU Council Member. And if you have any questions about the moderation of this thread, feel free to message a BDSP Metagames forum moderator.

Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you. Happy posting and laddering!

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I know xXxDarkBlood2001xXx is going to be happy with the result, he may not insult our mothers next time we send him back to 1100 elo.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
I caught Darkrai with a Feather Ball straight up in PLA, if this isn't an argument for RU or below than I'm not sure what is. Darkrai is very vulnerable to Sticky Globs as well as just hiding behind the rocks in its area, its much easier to take care of than something like Rhyp or Lix. Hell its even easier than some Chimeco or pre-nerf Cherrim. This is proof that Darkrai is weak sauce and must be released.

While it may seem an outlandish claim at first, after further inspection it appears Darkrai seems perfectly fine for this metagame. I wasn't too sure at first given its impressive stats on the surface, but after fiddling around with calcs I noticed it actually has the same damage output as Umbreon so it shouldn't prove too difficult to find defensive answers to it, calcs below
252 Atk Darkrai Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 162-192 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 162-192 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
On the defensive aspects I'm kinda worried about a potential will-o-wisp torment sub disable set, as not many mons pack moves capable of breaking its sub once burned. A bit like Torment Heatran in a sense. Below are calcs involving the strongest wallbreakers I could find:
252+ Atk Life Orb Kakuna Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Darkrai: 101-120 (29.3 - 34.8%) -- 7.5% chance to 3HKO (no burn because of Shed Skin)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Expanding Force (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Darkrai in Psychic Terrain: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 Lvl 72 252 Atk burned Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Darkrai: 72-84 (20.9 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
That said, considering its direct main competition (the aforementioned Umbreon) has way superior bulk and hasn't proven to be an issue in our current metagame, I'm sure we'll find ways around Darkrai's defensive prowess regardless.

I look forward to getting reqs with a nice GXE and thank you all for reading me!

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Darkrai needs to come down. It's a worse Zeraora. Lugia needs to come down, it basically just sits there like Chansey except worse and can't heal from status. Cannot Wish Pash. It's basically like Hippowdon but can't even set up Sandstorm automatically. Reshiram also needs to come down. It's basically a slower bulkier Zard X but without DD and Tough Claws. There´s more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

tbh what i see here, people are either trolling or just not thinking too much into it.

what i've observed about darkrai and used it myself in BDSP OU:

It has very strong bulk without needing invest for defensive stats. Like for real it survives dragon dance dragon claw dragonite

+1 252 Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 220-259 (78.2 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(outrage obviously OHKO but most of time people run dragon claw on dragonite)

He outspeeds pretty much every other mons that not scarfed, has some type of builds can go from specs to life orb, maybe even leftovers substitute(not sure about leftosub build tho) and ofcouse chlorophyll venusaur outspeeds darkrai but venusaur dont have many moves. I think it all depends on situation how bulky venusaur is versus darkrai bulk

252 SpA Choice Specs Darkrai Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Venusaur: 302-356 (100.3 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

with choise spec venusaur atleast dies to darkrai before managing set up growth boost.

while LO darkrai has rng deciding the win 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Venusaur: 263-309 (87.3 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

meanwhile venusaurdamage to darkrai:

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai: 160-188 (56.9 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Darkrai: 191-226 (67.9 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and wather ball is 2-4 times ohko.

ofcourse if venusaur gets one growth boost then venu can OHKO darkrai guaranteed with sludge bomb.

Also Dakrai has quite move pool like sludge bomb, dark pulse,focus blast,ice beam,psychic,thunder,thunderbolt etc. So he can cover most of team weaknesses or being with hail team using blizzard too.

not to mention hypnosis sleep with bad dreams. No need explain why that can be nasty.

Im on edge in this one tbh. Darkrai hits neutral on most pokemons and has quite bit coverage moves. With screen setup even he can be very big threat.

I do agree that there can be something like belly drum azumarill with aqua jet and scarfed ones like breloom or garchomp. Maybe extreme speed LO SD lucario but that i have not been able yet to see.

I think darkrai is on fence being fine in OU tier. I do agree that darkrai isnt forcing sacrifice or letting pokemon die like gengar.

I do disagree tho darkrai being similar to alakazam as alakazam is very squishy with very low defensive stats while darkrai has more decent base stats for defensive ones.

I am voting not banning darkrai atleast currently but it is on fence on this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)