Doubles Araquanid (Revamp) [GP 2/2]

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Above average special bulk coupled with a good defensive typing allows Araquanid to take most neutral STAB attacks comfortably, making it a good offensive tank. Thanks to Water Bubble, Araquanid can deal reasonable amounts of damage with its Water STAB attacks despite its low base Attack, and check common Intimidate users such as Incineroar and Landorus-T and Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y. It is also able to provide permanent Speed control with Sticky Web and protect its allies with Wide Guard support. Unfortunately, Araquanid's low Speed stat means it almost always takes damage before doing anything useful. It also competes with other more popular bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Volcanion, and Suicune for a spot on teams. Futhermore, a shallow movepool and a lack of coverage options also make Araquanid a rather predictable Pokemon. Its low base Attack also means that Araquanid cannot deal any significant damage besides with Liquidation.

[SET]
name: Offensive Sticky Web
move 1: Liquidation
move 2: Bug Bite / Wide Guard
move 3: Sticky Web
move 4: Protect / Wide Guard
item: Figy Berry / Waterium Z
ability: Water Bubble
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Liquidation is Araquanid's main form of damage output and benefits from Water Bubble and STAB, allowing Araquanid to hit Landorus-T and Incineroar fairly hard even after an Intimidate drop. Bug Bite helps to remove Berries from opposing Pokemon, most notably Amoonguss and Tapu Fini, and regain its HP at the same time. Sticky Web allows teammates to outspeed and check faster and somewhat frail offensive threats. Protect is always valuable and can help scout for opposing sets or moves. Wide Guard can be used as an alternative to Bug Bite or Protect, helping improve the team's matchup against common Pokemon such as Zygarde and Mega Charizard that like to spam spread moves.

Set Details
========
The HP and Defense investments allows Araquanid to take Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu's Wood Hammer in Grassy Terrain. The remaining EVs are dumped into Attack, which lets Araquanid hit as hard as possible and 2HKO Incineroar or Landorus-T with Liquidation after an Intimidate Attack drop. Waterium Z over Figy Berry provides the additional power that Araquanid needs to OHKO Incineroar or Landorus-T after an Intimidate. A Brave nature is preferred on sets running Bug Bite to prevent confusion upon consuming a Wiki Berry; however, if Araquanid does not carry Bug Bite, an Adamant nature can be used instead, which allows Araquanid to outspeed faster Incineroar variants after Sticky Web. Wacan Berry is also another option that can be used with maximum HP investment and 48 Special Defense EVs; this enables Araquanid to take a Gigavolt Havoc from a maximum Special Attack Modest Tapu Koko under Electric Terrain or a Life Orb-boosted Fusion Bolt from Kyurem-B in Electric Terrain.

Usage Tips
========
Liquidation should be Araquanid's main form of damage output; Bug Bite should only be used for removing Berries from foes. Araquanid is usually brought out early-game or used as a lead to set up Sticky Web, helping the team gain momentum as the game progresses. It can also be brought in directly to sponge a Fire-type attack thanks to Water Bubble. That being said, it is fine to switch Araquanid in any time during the game to sponge special attacks thanks to its above average special bulk. Araquanid can also be pivoted in to check and force out opposing spread attackers with Wide Guard, most notably Choice Band Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y.

Team Options
========
Pokemon with awkward Speed tiers benefit from Sticky Web the most, such as Tapu Lele, Kyurem-B, Volcanion, and Landorus-T. Steel-types and Pokemon weak to Fire or Ground such as Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Kartana benefit tremendously from Araquanid's Wide Guard support and offensive pressure protecting them from common super effective spread moves such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, and also appreciate its Water coverage. Araquanid appreciates Ground-type partners such as Zygarde and Landorus-T that can force out opposing Electric-types to help prolong its longevity and let it set up Sticky Web successfully; Araquanid in turn can also support Zygarde and Landorus-T by protecting them from a potential Icy Wind with Wide Guard. Mega Charizard Y also makes a great partner for Araquanid thanks to Araquanid's ability to remove Landorus-T and Incineroar and shield Mega Charizard Y from opposing Rock Slides with Wide Guard, while Mega Charizard Y helps Araquanid remove bulky Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Ferrothorn. However, it is worth noting that sun halves Liquidation's damage output, losing out on 2HKOs against Incineroar and Landorus-T, meaning careful positioning is important. Zeraora could also be a potential teammate, as it can switch into Electric-type attacks and help Araquanid get rid of bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Suicune. Zeraora also benefits from Sticky Web, allowing it to outspeed Choice Scarf Genesect and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. Fake Out users such as Incineroar and Mew also help support Araquanid greatly, allowing Araquanid to set Sticky Web freely in the face of threats such as Tapu Koko.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mystic Water can also be used over a pinch Berry for a more offensive Araquanid variant with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def, which lets Araquanid OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Liquidation even in sun. When using Waterium Z, 160 EVs can also be moved from HP into Speed, letting Araquanid outspeed standard Incineroar and dispose of it easily with a Hydro Vortex. Toxic is also an option for a filler move in order to put a timer on bulky walls such as Chansey and Cresselia as well as Water-types such as Volcanion and Gastrodon that Araquanid cannot hit. Icy Wind can be used as another form of Speed control to slow down targets that are not affected by Sticky Web, such as Landorus-T and Zapdos. Poison Jab may be chosen as a coverage option when hitting Tapu Bulu is desired or Araquanid is used on Trick Room teams. However, Araquanid is a tough fit on Trick Room teams and does not contribute as much value as it provides with Sticky Web on faster teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, Tapu Koko, and Zapdos are able to 2HKO Araquanid with their STAB attacks, and Pokemon carrying Electric coverage such as Fusion Bolt Kyurem-B may be a problem as well.

**Grass-types**: Tapu Bulu and Kartana both are able to take Araquanid's attacks comfortably and deal severe damage back with their Grass-type STAB attacks. Ferrothorn can also check Araquanid well defensively and slowly wear it down with Power Whip and Leech Seed.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Suicune, and Volcanion can also take Araquanid's attacks reliably, often forcing Araquanid to switch out. However, these Pokemon need to watch out for Bug Bite, as they do not appreciate having their Berries removed.

**Rock-types**: Araquanid needs to watch out for faster offensive Rock-types such as Diancie and Tyranitar, which can both deal significant damage with their STAB attacks. However, should Araquanid carry Wide Guard, its Rock-type checks may struggle to deal damage to Araquanid without a single-target STAB move.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Due to Araquanid's mediocre Defense, it is prone to taking huge chunks of damage from strong physical attacks such as Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T or Zygarde and even Tapu Lele's Psyshock.

**Gastrodon**: Gastrodon completely walls Araquanid thanks to Storm Drain and its defensive typing and can freely set up Substitutes against it, thus making Araquanid deadweight on the field outside of its utility moves.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Yuichii, 435812]]
- Earlier versions by: [[GenOne, 306383]]
- Quality checked by: [[talkingtree,232101], [MajorBowman,188164]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [Electrolyte, 148071]]

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Just a few quick things since I don't have time for a full check right now, but this looks pretty solid.

I talked a bit with the rest of QC and I think we want Figy Berry / Waterium Z as the item slashes with Wacan in high OO. That said, this is a mon no one on the QC team has a ton of experience with, so if you disagree with that I'd be happy to talk it out with you over Discord. Assuming the items follow that slashing, I'd use 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Def; Brave - this avoids the OHKO from Scarf Bulu Wood Hammer (and bulky Bulu Wood Hammer) and Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt in Psychic Terrain, with a dump in Atk. Using Brave over Adamant to avoid the issue you mentioned with eating Wiki Berries, though I'd throw something in Set Details that says if you're not running Bug Bite to use Adamant instead.

Your Special Defense benchmark is definitely worth mentioning alongside Wacan Berry in OO, though I don't think there are any specific new physical Defense benchmarks worth noting for Wacan sets. Also don't bother mentioning special Araquanid, physical is the only one that won't just be ignored by Tapu Fini since Liquidation can get Defense drops and does a significant amount.

I'm available to talk through any questions you have, so let me know!

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Talked to Talking Tree and agreed to put Figy Berry / Wacan Berry in main set, w Waterium Z in OO, up for QC

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
  • [Moves] When talking about Bug Bite I wouldn't mention Incineroar as a target, you'd usually want to click Liquidation against that. Maybe mention Amoonguss instead?
  • [Moves] Don't list so many examples for Wide Guard - just Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y is enough for now, especially since Araquanid checks them defensively too
  • [Moves] You don't really need to list examples re: Sticky Web either, I'd rather you talk about the category of Pokemon it's good for: fast and somewhat frail grounded attackers
  • [Set Details] Listing all those benchmarks is nice to know for someone who's going to be using it, but they sort of clutter up an analysis so I'd rather you stick to the really important ones
    • Takes Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer in terrain; Dump in Attack
    • Wacan Berry sets gain the ability to take LO Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt and Modest Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc, both in terrain
  • [Usage Tips] I'd like a point in here about using Liquidation if you need damage, saving Bug Bite mostly for berry removal / consumption
  • [Team Options] Zard Y should go in here somewhere, Webs + Wide Guard + damage against Lando and Incin is great for it
  • [Team Options] When you talk about Zyg and Lando-T, also point out that Wide Guard blocks common spread moves like Icy Wind for them
  • [Team Options] Zeraora is a decent mention here; it absorbs Electric attacks, beats bulky Waters that Araq can't break, and appreciates the ability to outrun Scarf Genesect and Scarf Lele due to Webs
  • [Other Options] Take out the bulky spread, that's pretty niche for an already-niche mon and doesn't really need to be added
  • [Other Options] When you mention Poison Jab, also throw in a line saying Araquanid can run a decent TR attacker set with PJab, but it's tough to fit onto Trick Room teams and doesn't provide as much value to them when compared to how Sticky Web supports faster teams
  • [Checks and Counters] P2 Thunderbolt is doing practically nothing so don't bother mentioning that
  • [Checks and Counters] Ferrothorn should get a mention in Grass-types
  • [Checks and Counters] When you discuss bulky Water-types say that they don't appreciate losing their berries to Bug Bite
  • [Checks and Counters] Diancie and Tyranitar also struggle with WG Araquanid if they don't have single-target Rock moves
  • [Checks and Counters] I'd get rid of the Stealth Rock tag, Araquanid is usually led so it can't be affected then and it's not really a common pivot so they aren't *that* detrimental
Do the above and I'll take another look before stamping

talkingtree

large if factual
Maybe mention running Speed as an option on Waterium sets in OO, can be nice for getting that strong hit off quickly. Nothing else to add, so go ahead and start writeup

QC 1/2

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck! I wrote the original analysis for this so thought I'd contribute again :)

Set Comments (Offensive Webs)
  • For consistency with the [SET] section, I'd just rework the last sentence re: Wide Guard to mention that it can be used in place of either Bug Bite or Protect. Something like "As an alternative to Bug Bite or Protect, Wide Guard can be used to [...]"
Set Details (Offensive Webs)
  • One benefit to running Adamant nature is that you will outspeed faster variants of Incineroar (which hit 176 Spe to outpace Metagross in Tailwind) after a Sticky Webs speed reduction. (Brave Araquanid will still outpace the standard dex spread Incineroar, provided Araquanid has 31 Spe IVs.)
  • "The remaining EVs are dumped into Attack, letting Araquanid hit as hard as possible and 2HKO Incineroar alongside Landorus-T after an Intimidate."
    ^ This sentence is a bit unclear to me, but I think you're saying that Araquanid hits those benchmarks at -2 Atk (after a double-Intimidate, basically). If that's what you're getting at, I'd just say that, mentioning that Incineroar + Landorus-T is a common pair to face in this metagame.
Team Options (Offensive Webs)
  • I know talkingtree told you to put Zard Y in here as a partner, so defer to what he wants, but I don't think Araq is that great on Zard Y teams and I'd like to explain why: Sun nullifies Araquanid's Water Bubble boost, making it quite weak and unable to achieve the 2HKO benchmarks vs Incineroar that you mentioned earlier in the analysis. Additionally, Zard Y is already VERY weak to Stealth Rocks, so adding another partner that is weak to them and is also weakened by sun feels pretty suboptimal. Fini is a much better bulky Water-type in this slot since it can Defog rocks away, has a Fairy-stab that isn't weakened by sun, and can still provide speed control via Icy Wind.
  • Fake Out users like Incineroar or Mew are extremely useful for Araquanid, especially in first-turn lead situations, to help Araquanid set Sticky Webs even in the face of a threat like Tapu Koko that would otherwise force it out.
Other Options
  • Since Araquanid will almost never be paired with a Tapu Fini, Toxic is a great move to consider running; it gives Araquanid a means to set a timer on bulky walls like Chansey and Cresselia, as well as the Water-types like Volcanion and Gastrodon that Araquanid can't hit.
Checks and Counters
  • **Storm Drain** or **Gastrodon** deserves a special mention, and no, Gastrodon isn't already covered by **Water-types**; Gastrodon's Storm Drain ability completely invalidates Araquanid's only strong STAB move, making Araquanid deadweight on the battlefield outside of its utility moves. Araquanid has 0 answers for Gastrodon, and Gastrodon can potentially Toxic the Araquanid or get a free Substitute up in front of Araquanid.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My comments on GenOne's checks are in green, assume I agree if I don't say anything about one
amcheck! I wrote the original analysis for this so thought I'd contribute again :)

Set Comments (Offensive Webs)
  • For consistency with the [SET] section, I'd just rework the last sentence re: Wide Guard to mention that it can be used in place of either Bug Bite or Protect. Something like "As an alternative to Bug Bite or Protect, Wide Guard can be used to [...]"
Set Details (Offensive Webs)
  • One benefit to running Adamant nature is that you will outspeed faster variants of Incineroar (which hit 176 Spe to outpace Metagross in Tailwind) after a Sticky Webs speed reduction. (Brave Araquanid will still outpace the standard dex spread Incineroar, provided Araquanid has 31 Spe IVs.)
  • "The remaining EVs are dumped into Attack, letting Araquanid hit as hard as possible and 2HKO Incineroar alongside Landorus-T after an Intimidate."
    ^ This sentence is a bit unclear to me, but I think you're saying that Araquanid hits those benchmarks at -2 Atk (after a double-Intimidate, basically). If that's what you're getting at, I'd just say that, mentioning that Incineroar + Landorus-T is a common pair to face in this metagame. Agree with the unclarity, I'm not sure what you mean by that sentence. Does it 2HKO Incineroar at -2? Does it 2HKO both Incineroar and Lando-T at -1? Make sure you make it a little more clear
Team Options (Offensive Webs)
  • I know talkingtree told you to put Zard Y in here as a partner, so defer to what he wants, but I don't think Araq is that great on Zard Y teams and I'd like to explain why: Sun nullifies Araquanid's Water Bubble boost, making it quite weak and unable to achieve the 2HKO benchmarks vs Incineroar that you mentioned earlier in the analysis. Additionally, Zard Y is already VERY weak to Stealth Rocks, so adding another partner that is weak to them and is also weakened by sun feels pretty suboptimal. Fini is a much better bulky Water-type in this slot since it can Defog rocks away, has a Fairy-stab that isn't weakened by sun, and can still provide speed control via Icy Wind. I think it makes sense to mention Zard as a partner just because webs + wide guard + incineroar check is pretty good for zard, but I agree with Genone that it's a little awkward. Possibly mention that araquanid can help zard out but zard hinders araquanid a bit.
  • Fake Out users like Incineroar or Mew are extremely useful for Araquanid, especially in first-turn lead situations, to help Araquanid set Sticky Webs even in the face of a threat like Tapu Koko that would otherwise force it out.
Other Options
  • Since Araquanid will almost never be paired with a Tapu Fini, Toxic is a great move to consider running; it gives Araquanid a means to set a timer on bulky walls like Chansey and Cresselia, as well as the Water-types like Volcanion and Gastrodon that Araquanid can't hit.
Checks and Counters
  • **Storm Drain** or **Gastrodon** deserves a special mention, and no, Gastrodon isn't already covered by **Water-types**; Gastrodon's Storm Drain ability completely invalidates Araquanid's only strong STAB move, making Araquanid deadweight on the battlefield outside of its utility moves. Araquanid has 0 answers for Gastrodon, and Gastrodon can potentially Toxic the Araquanid or get a free Substitute up in front of Araquanid.
Additional notes:
  • [SET] I had an issue with the items so I talked with talkingtree and we agree that Waterium Z should replace Wacan Berry as the second item on the main set. Wacan shouldn't be slashed at all and should either remain a mention in the set details section or drop to OO. Go ahead and change that in the set and rearrange the sections accordingly. The content you have for these items is fine, just need to put them in the right place.
    • running speed to outspeed incin and hydro vortex it can remain in OO
  • [Checks and Counters] Not sure if the Taunt section needs to be here, it can be a support mon but Liquidation still hits like a truck and if Koko or Lele take a turn to Taunt Araquanid they could end up dead
implement and I'll check again for 2!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Above average special bulk coupled with a good defensive typing allows Araquanid to take most neutral STABs comfortably and become a good offensive tank. (or w/e but make sure its role is mentioned somewhere at the beginning) Having access to Water Bubble lets Araquanid deal reasonable amounts of damage with its Water STAB attacks despite its low base base Attack (RC) while also helping it check common Intimidate users such as Incineroar and Landorus-T (AH) and Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y. It is also able to provide permanent speed control with Sticky Web and protect its allies with Wide Guard support. Unfortunately, (AC) Araquanid's low speed stat means it almost always takes damage before doing anything useful. It also competes with other more popular bulky Waters Water-types for a spot on teams, such as Tapu Fini, Volcanion, (AC) and Suicune. Futhermore, a shallow movepool and the lack of coverage options also make Araquanid a rather predictable Pokemon. Its low base Attack also means that Araquanid cannot deal any significant damage outside of Liquidation.

[SET]
name: Offensive Webs Sticky Web

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Liquidation is Araquanid's main form of damage output and benefits from Water Bubble and STAB, allowing Araquanid to hit Landorus-T and Incineroar fairly hard even at -1 after an Intimidate drop. (more directly relevant to context) Bug Bite helps to remove Berries from opposing Pokemon, most notably Amoonguss and Tapu Fini, (AC) and regain its HP at the same time. Sticky Web allows teammates to outspeed and check faster and somewhat frail offensive threats. Protect is always valuable and can help scout for opposing sets or moves. Wide Guard can be used as an alternative to Bug Bite or Protect, helping improve the team's match up matchup against common Pokemon that likes like to spam spread moves such as Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========
The HP and Defense investments allow Araquanid to live take Choice Scarfed Scarf Tapu Bulu's Wood Hammer in Grassy Terrain. The remaining EVs are dumped into Attack, which lets Araquanid hit as hard as possible and 2HKO Incineroar or Landorus-T with Liquidation at -1 Atk after an Intimidate Attack drop. Waterium Z over Figy Berry provides the additional power that Araquanid needs to OHKO Incineroar or Landorus-T after an Intimidate. A Brave nature is preferred on sets running Bug Bite to prevent confusion upon consuming a Wiki Berry; (SC) however, (AC) if Araquanid does not carry Bug Bite, an Adamant nature can be used instead, which allows Araquanid to outspeed faster Incineroar variants thanks to after Sticky Web. Wacan Berry is also an alternative another option that can be used with maximum HP investment with and 48 Special Defense EVs invested in Special Defense; this enables Araquanid to live take a Gigavolt Havoc from a maximum Special Attack Modest Tapu Koko under Electric Terrain or a Life Orb-boosted (AH) Fusion Bolt from Kyurem-B in Electric Terrain.

Usage Tips
========
Liquidation should be Araquanid's main form of damage output; (SC) Bug Bite should only be used for removing Berries for from foes. Araquanid is usually brought out early-game (AH) or used as a lead to set up Sticky Web, helping the team gain momentum as the game progresses. It can also be brought in directly to sponge a Fire-type attack thanks to Water Bubble. That being said, it is fine to switch Araquanid in anytime any time during the game to sponge special attacks thanks to its above average special bulk. Araquanid can also be pivoted in to check and force out opposing spread attackers with Wide Guard, most notably Choice Banded Band Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y.

Team Options
========
Pokemon with awkward Speed tiers benefit from Sticky Webs Web the most, such as Tapu Lele, Kyurem-Black, Volcanion, (AC) and Landorus-T. Steel-types (AH, RC) and Pokemon weak to Fire or Ground such as Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, (AC) and Kartana benefit tremendously from the Araquanid's Wide Guard support and offensive pressure, helping to protect said Pokemon protecting them from common super effective spread moves such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, while as well as appreciating Araquanid's its Water coverage. Araquanid appreciates Ground-type partners such as Zygarde and Landorus-T that can force out opposing Electric-types to help prolong Araquanid's its longevity and let it set up Sticky Web successfully; (SC) Araquanid in turn can also support Zygarde and Landorus-T by protecting them from a potential Icy Wind with Wide Guard. Mega Charizard Y also makes a great partner for Araquanid thanks to Araquanid's ability to remove Landorus-T and Incineroar (RC) along with Wide Guard shielding and shield Mega Charizard Y from opposing Rock Slides with Wide Guard, while Mega Charizard Y helps Araquanid remove bulky Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Ferrothorn. However, (AC) it is worth noting that sun halves Araquanid's Liquidation's damage output, (AC) in Liquidation—missing 2HKOes losing out on 2HKOs against Incineroar or and Landorus-T, thus meaning careful positioning is important. Zeraora could also be a potential teammate, (AC) as it can switch into Electric-type attacks and help Araquanid get rid of bulky Waters Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Suicune. Zeraora also benefits from Sticky Web, allowing it to outspeed Choice Scarf Genesect and Scarf Lele. Fake Out users such as Incineroar and Mew also help support Araquanid greatly, allowing Araquanid to set Sticky Web freely in the face of an opposing threat such as Tapu Koko.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mystic Water can also be used over a pinch Berry for a more offensive Araquanid variant with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def, which lets Araquanid OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Liquidation even in sun. When using Waterium Z, 160 evs can also be moved from HP into Speed, letting Araquanid outspeed standard 12 Spe Incineroars Incineroar (creep) and dispose of them it easily with a Hydro Vortex. Toxic is also an option for a filler move in order for Araquanid to put a timer on bulky walls such as Chansey and Cresselia, as well as the the Water-types such as Volcanion and Gastrodon which that Araquanid cannot hit. Icy Wind can be used as another form of speed control to slow down targets that are not affected by Sticky Web, such as Landorus-T and Zapdos. Poison Jab may be chosen as a coverage option to hit when hitting Tapu Bulu or when is desired or Araquanid is used on Trick Room teams. However, Araquanid is a tough fit on Trick Room teams and does not contribute as much value as compared to the support it provides with Sticky Web on faster teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, Tapu Koko, and Zapdos are able to 2HKO Araquanid with their STAB attacks, and Pokemon carrying Electric coverage such as Fusion Bolt Kyurem-B may be a problem as well, such as Kyurem-Black carrying Fusion Bolt. (AP)

**Grass-types**: Most notably being Tapu Bulu and Kartana (RC) both of which are able to take Araquanid's attacks comfortably and hit deal severe damage back to Araquanid with their Grass-type STAB attacks dealing severe damage back to Araquanid. (period) Ferrothorn can also check Araquanid well defensively and slowly wear it down with Power Whip and Leech Seed.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Suicune, (AC) and Volcanion can also take Araquanid's attacks reliably, often forcing Araquanid to switch out. However, (AC) these Pokemon need to watch out for Bug Bite, as they do not appreciate having their Berries removed.

**Rock-types**: Araquanid needs to watch out for faster offensive Rock-types such as Diancie and Tyranitar, (AC) which can both deal significant damage with their Rock STAB attacks. Although However, should Araquanid carry Wide Guard, its Rock-type checks may struggle to deal damage to Araquanid without a single-target Rock STAB move.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Due to Araquanid's having a mediocre Defence Defense, it is prone to taking huge chunks of damage from strong physical attacks such as a Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T and or Zygarde carrying Groundium Z, or and even a Tapu Lele's carrying Psyshock

**Gastrodon**: Gastrodon completely walls Araquanid thanks to Storm Drain and its defensive typing (RC) and can freely set up Substitutes against Araquanid it, thus making Araquanid deadweight on the field outside of its utility moves.

[CREDITS]
- Earlier versions by: [[Genone, 306383]]
- Quality checked by: [[talkingtree,232101], [majorbowman,188164]]
- Grammar checked by: [[name, ID], [name, ID]]

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
buzzz

add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]
Above average special bulk coupled with a good defensive typing allows Araquanid to take most neutral STAB
attacks comfortably, making it a good offensive tank. Having access to Thanks to Water Bubble,(AC) lets Araquanid can (let's keep Araquanid as the subject here) deal reasonable amounts of damage with its Water STAB attacks despite its low base Attack,(AC) and while also helping it check common Intimidate users such as Incineroar and Landorus-T and Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y. It is also able to provide permanent Speed control with Sticky Web and protect its allies with Wide Guard support. Unfortunately, Araquanid's low Speed stat means it almost always takes damage before doing anything useful. It also competes with other more popular bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Volcanion, and Suicune for a spot on teams, such as Tapu Fini, Volcanion, and Suicune. Futhermore, a shallow movepool and the a lack of coverage options also make Araquanid a rather predictable Pokemon. Its low base Attack also means that Araquanid cannot deal any significant damage outside of besides with Liquidation.

[SET]
name: Offensive Sticky Web

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Liquidation is Araquanid's main form of damage output and benefits from Water Bubble and STAB, allowing Araquanid to hit Landorus-T and Incineroar fairly hard even after an Intimidate drop. Bug Bite helps to remove Berries from opposing Pokemon, most notably Amoonguss and Tapu Fini, and regain its HP at the same time. Sticky Web allows teammates to outspeed and check faster and somewhat frail offensive threats. Protect is always valuable and can help scout for opposing sets or moves. Wide Guard can be used as an alternative to Bug Bite or Protect, helping improve the team's matchup against common Pokemon
such as Zygarde and Mega Charizard that like to spam spread moves such as Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========
The HP and Defense investment
s allows Araquanid to take Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu's Wood Hammer in Grassy Terrain. The remaining EVs are dumped into Attack, which lets Araquanid hit as hard as possible and 2HKO Incineroar or Landorus-T with Liquidation after an Intimidate Attack drop. Waterium Z over Figy Berry provides the additional power that Araquanid needs to OHKO Incineroar or Landorus-T after an Intimidate. A Brave nature is preferred on sets running Bug Bite to prevent confusion upon consuming a Wiki Berry; however, if Araquanid does not carry Bug Bite, an Adamant nature can be used instead, which allows Araquanid to outspeed faster Incineroar variants after Sticky Web. Wacan Berry is also another option that can be used with maximum HP investment and 48 Special Defense EVs; this enables Araquanid to take a Gigavolt Havoc from a maximum Special Attack Modest Tapu Koko under Electric Terrain or a Life Orb-boosted Fusion Bolt from Kyurem-B in Electric Terrain.

Usage Tips
========
Liquidation should be Araquanid's main form of damage output; Bug Bite should only be used for removing Berries from foes. Araquanid is usually brought out early-game or used as a lead to set up Sticky Web, helping the team gain momentum as the game progresses. It can also be brought in directly to sponge a Fire-type attack thanks to Water Bubble. That being said, it is fine to switch Araquanid in any time during the game to sponge special attacks thanks to its above average special bulk. Araquanid can also be pivoted in to check and force out opposing spread attackers with Wide Guard, most notably Choice Band Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y.

Team Options
========
Pokemon with awkward Speed tiers benefit from Sticky Web the most, such as Tapu Lele, Kyurem-B, Volcanion, and Landorus-T. Steel-types and Pokemon weak to Fire or Ground such as Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Kartana benefit tremendously from Araquanid's Wide Guard support and offensive pressure protecting them from common super effective spread moves such as Earthquake and Heat Wave,
as well as appreciating and also appreciate its Water coverage. Araquanid appreciates Ground-type partners such as Zygarde and Landorus-T that can force out opposing Electric-types to help prolong its longevity and let it set up Sticky Web successfully; Araquanid in turn can also support Zygarde and Landorus-T by protecting them from a potential Icy Wind with Wide Guard. Mega Charizard Y also makes a great partner for Araquanid thanks to Araquanid's ability to remove Landorus-T and Incineroar and shield Mega Charizard Y from opposing Rock Slides with Wide Guard, while Mega Charizard Y helps Araquanid remove bulky Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Ferrothorn. However, it is worth noting that sun halves Liquidation's damage output, losing out on 2HKOs against Incineroar and Landorus-T, meaning careful positioning is important. Zeraora could also be a potential teammate, as it can switch into Electric-type attacks and help Araquanid get rid of bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Suicune. Zeraora also benefits from Sticky Web, allowing it to outspeed Choice Scarf Genesect and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. Fake Out users such as Incineroar and Mew also help support Araquanid greatly, allowing Araquanid to set Sticky Web freely in the face of a threats such as Tapu Koko.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mystic Water can also be used over a pinch Berry for a more offensive Araquanid variant with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def, which lets Araquanid OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Liquidation even in sun. When using Waterium Z, 160 EVs can also be moved from HP into Speed, letting Araquanid outspeed standard Incineroar and dispose of it easily with a Hydro Vortex. Toxic is also an option for a filler move in order(no space) to put a timer on bulky walls such as Chansey and Cresselia(RC) as well as Water-types such as Volcanion and Gastrodon that Araquanid cannot hit. Icy Wind can be used as another form of Speed control to slow down targets that are not affected by Sticky Web, such as Landorus-T and Zapdos. Poison Jab may be chosen as a coverage option when hitting Tapu Bulu is desired or Araquanid is used on Trick Room teams. However, Araquanid is a tough fit on Trick Room teams and does not contribute as much value as
compared to the support it provides with Sticky Web on faster teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Mega Manectric, Tapu Koko, and Zapdos are able to 2HKO Araquanid with their STAB attacks, and Pokemon carrying Electric coverage such as Fusion Bolt Kyurem-B may be a problem as well.

**Grass-types**: Tapu Bulu and Kartana both are able to take Araquanid's attacks comfortably and deal severe damage back
to Araquanid with their Grass-type STAB attacks. Ferrothorn can also check Araquanid well defensively and slowly wear it down with Power Whip and Leech Seed.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Tapu Fini, Suicune, and Volcanion can also take Araquanid's attacks reliably, often forcing Araquanid to switch out. However, these Pokemon need to watch out for Bug Bite, as they do not appreciate having their Berries removed.

**Rock-types**: Araquanid needs to watch out for faster offensive Rock-types such as Diancie and Tyranitar, which can both deal significant damage with their STAB attacks. However, should Araquanid carry Wide Guard, its Rock-type checks may struggle to deal damage to Araquanid without a single-target STAB move.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Due to Araquanid's mediocre Defense, it is prone to taking huge chunks of damage from strong physical attacks such as
a Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T or Zygarde and even Tapu Lele's Psyshock.(AC)

**Gastrodon**: Gastrodon completely walls Araquanid thanks to Storm Drain and its defensive typing and can freely set up Substitutes against it, thus making Araquanid deadweight on the field outside of its utility moves.

[CREDITS]
- Earlier versions by: [[GenOne, 306383]]
- Quality checked by: [[talkingtree,232101], [MajorBowman,188164]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [Electrolyte, 148071]]
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)