QC Approvals: WhiteDMist
- When Jynx got unbanned from NU, Arbok essentially got another Psychic to watch out for, alongside other Psychics like Gardevoir and Musharna.
- Access to Coil + Gunk Shot allows it to hit hard, despite average attack. Also, Coil increases defense, making it harder to revenge kill.
- Has coverage moves like Aqua Tail, Earthquake, and Sucker Punch to boot
- Two excellent abilities in Intimidate and Shed Skin
- A bit lacking in power; 85 base attack, and Coil only boosts you to +1
- Lacks good HP and special bulk, and can easily be revenged by Jynx
name: Offensive Coil
move 1: Coil
move 2: Gunk Shot
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Seed Bomb
item: Life Orb / Black Sludge
ability: Intimidate / Shed Skin
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Coil is Arbok's best set. With the ability to boost both attack, defense, and accuracy all at once, Arbok can prove to be annoying.
- Intimidate can be used to set up on offensive Pokemon that cannot touch Arbok, such as Choice Band Sawk.
- Shed Skin allows Arbok to recover from random burns, paralysis, and other status conditions, though it is already immune to Toxic.
- Coil's accuracy boost makes Gunk Shot rather lethal, and can hit pokemon that don't resist it or are not immune to it hard.
- Sucker Punch helps Arbok to avoid getting picked off by the likes of Jynx, who is a very dangerous threat in the tier.
- The next move is a coverage move. Earthquake hits Steels, especially Metang, while still hitting Regirock and Golem super effectively. Howevever, Aqua Tail hits Ground types like Golem and Golurk harder, and keeps neutral coverage on steels. Seed Bomb hits Grounds, especially Seismitoad, but leaves you walled by Steels.
- Life Orb gives Arbok some much needed power, whereas Black Sludge prevents Arbok from getting worn down as easily. For example, with Life Orb, Arbok can get the 2HKO on Alomomola using a +1 Gunk Shot
- Rest can be used as a form of recovery if using Shed Skin, as there will be a 30% chance to wake up each turn. However, Arbok loses out on an attack, and it is not always going to wake up Arbok.
- Ghost and Psychic removal is appreciated; Skuntank is not the best partner due to the poison typing amplifying the team's ground weakness. However, Liepard can Pursuit trap Ghosts and Psychics without giving any synergy issues.
- If Aqua Tail is chosen, Steels like Metang and Mawile will be a problem; Golurk and Seismitoad can dispatch of them, and lay down Stealth Rock to wear down the opponent, especially Choice Scarf users like Jynx and Sawk. Misdreavus is still 4HKOd by Aqua Tail after +1
- If Earthquake is chosen, then Ground types will become a bigger issue. Ludicolo is thus an excellent teammate for Arbok, being able to OHKO every ground type in the metagame with its Water / Grass / Ice coverage. If Ludicolo is not of your taste, then other strong Water types, such as Simipour and Gorebyss, can make decent substitutes. Grasses like Sawsbuck does fine as well, but they cannot handle Piloswine too well.
- Arbok appreciates Wish support, especially with Life Orb and/or Shed Skin, to keep it healthy. Lickilicky is the best partner, as Arbok can check Fighting types like Primeape and Gurdurr in return. Alomomola is not bad though, as it can do a some damage to Grounds like Camerupt and Golem with Waterfall.
- If Black Sludge is chosen over Life Orb, Stealth Rock support is necessary to 2HKO Mandibuzz with a +1 Gunk Shot. Miltank and Regirock can provide Stealth Rock, and can paralyze faster opponents and help prevent them from revenging Arbok.
- A bulky Coil set can be used, but the defense EVs do not allow Arbok to set up on any additional threats
- The Elemental Fangs and Rock Slide provide additional coverage, though Arbok really does not need them.
- Arbok can use a Choice set of Poison Jab / Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Switcheroo, but Coil is Arbok's biggest niche.
- The snake also has access to support moves like Dragon Tail, Glare, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and Haze, but Arbok is not bulky enough to use them
[Checks and Counters]
- Misdreavus and Frillish wall Arbok pretty hard, and can use Will-O-Wisp and Taunt to shut it down.
- Steels like Mawile, Probopass, and Metang need to watch for Earthquake, but they are immune to Gunk Shot, and can really put Arbok in a pickle.
- Ground types (except for Torterra) like Golurk and Seismitoad can tank Arbok's attacks and respond back with a super effective Earthquake / Earth Power, though most should watch for Aqua Tail
- Special Choice Scarf users, such as Jynx and Electabuzz, need to watch for Sucker Punch, but can do hefty amounts of damage to Jessie's Cobra.
- Psychic types need to watch for a boosted Gunk Shot and Sucker Punch, but can easily dispatch of the Cobra.