Type: Fire

Abilities: Intimidate, Flash Fire, Justified

Hp: 90
Atk: 110
Def: 80
SpA: 100
SpD: 80
Spe: 95

I don't know about you guys, but im convinced Arcanine is a top 3 pokemon in UU, or at least will be when all the broken shit is removed. In the current metagame, a defensive fire type does pretty well. Arcanine can check Pokemon such as Heracross, Weavile, Escavalier, Electivire (lol), Victini, Abomasnow and even Flygon if you dont switch into an EQ. Personally, I think the defensive set is better. To give you an example of its bulk, it actually survived a CB EQ from Rhyperior with 10% to spare thanks to Intimidate. Also, Arcanine now has Wild Charge and Close Combat, so it has exceptional coverage.

Usable Moves
Close Combat
Crunch
Dragon Pulse
Extremespeed
Fire Blast
Flame Charge
Flamethrower
Flare Blitz
Hidden Power [Grass]
Iron Head
Morning Sun
Overheat
Roar
Toxic
Wild Charge
Will-O-wisp

Movesets

Name: Defensive9
Arcanine @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SDef / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic

On paper, Arcanine has fairly average defensive stats, but with intimidate, it can survive earthquakes from almost anything. Arcanine checks many offensive threats and can cripple them, and then stall with Morning Sun. Flare Blitz's recoil isn't appreciated, but its the best option if your running impish nature. ExtremeSpeed's priority is helpful in eliminating low HP Pokemon. The EVs make Arcanine more bulky on the physical side as most of the Pokemon Arcanine check are physical attackers.

Name: Lets get Physical
Arcanine @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate / Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Morning Sun / Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Arcanine is a dangerous threat, STAB Flare Blitz hits like a truck. The recoil really hurts Arcanine though, so it is reccomended to have spin support. ExtreameSpeed hits significantly harder than the defensive set and Close Combat hits rock types and others. Arcanine can still go mixed at the cost of using a -Def / SpD nature.

Arcanine still has its problems, it struggles with bulky waters even with Wild Charge and is weak to SR. It also despises status and Toxic spikes/Spikes. That being said, Arcanine is a solid UU Pokemon and is here to stay.

This thing is going to be extremely bulky under the sun. Intimidate+Normally effective Water-type moves is just gravy. A boosted Morning Sun also means that recovery won't be a problem. Yup, definitely a top-tier threat UNLESS they decide to ban Vulpix from UU.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree that arcanine will be a top tier poke, but until victini finds its way out of UU, flash fire is the superior option. A -1 CB victini v-create in the sun deals 46-54% to your defensive arcanine. Almost always a 2hko with spikes (factoring in leftovers), always with SR (also with lefties). Yeah, yeah, morning sun, but after arcanine takes the hit, they will probably switch to something will that can take out arcanine, and intimidate won't be in effect. It's a real problem if victini switches in to arcanine, as it resists the majority of arcanine's moves, and the previous v-create at -0 has a more than 50% chance to ohko with SR. tl;dr flash fire, or victini will kill you

I agree that arcanine will be a top tier poke, but until victini finds its way out of UU, flash fire is the superior option. A -1 CB victini v-create in the sun deals 46-54% to your defensive arcanine. Almost always a 2hko with spikes (factoring in leftovers), always with SR (also with lefties). Yeah, yeah, morning sun, but after arcanine takes the hit, they will probably switch to something will that can take out arcanine, and intimidate won't be in effect. It's a real problem if victini switches in to arcanine, as it resists the majority of arcanine's moves, and the previous v-create at -0 has a more than 50% chance to ohko with SR. tl;dr flash fire, or victini will kill you
Factoring the speed drop from V-create, Arcanine should be able to Morning Sun before Victini can attack again.

For defensive Arcanine, I wouldn't use Impish and Flare Blitz because the recoil kills off the point of being bulky. It's best for it to be Bold and to use Fire Blast (or Flamethrower). ES can still be used to pick off weakened opponents.

I've been running the first set with 248 hp/252 atk/8 of either defense (adamant) and it works really well as a bulky attacker and fits well with bulky waters and grass types for a good defensive fwg core. (I run it with tangrowth and milotic)

I really think Arcanine has improved overall this generation. Out of all the pokemon in UU, this is one that I have trouble with. It's a strong attacker that can heal itself with Morning Sun and it's no slouch coverage wise.

I don't think Victini "outclasses" it per-say.

I don't think Victini "outclasses" it per-say.
Of course not. o.O Arcanine's bulk is way superior to Victini, meaning Arcanine can function as a bulky sweeper, whereas most Victini tend to run CB V-Create sets. The only similarity between the two is that they both benefit from sun.

I don't think anyone said anything about Victini outclassing Arcanine, anyway...

Of course not. o.O Arcanine's bulk is way superior to Victini, meaning Arcanine can function as a bulky sweeper, whereas most Victini tend to run CB V-Create sets. The only similarity between the two is that they both benefit from sun.
Yeah Victini is a wallbreaker... but actually Arcanine's bulk is only superior physically, and only because of Intimidate. Cause otherwise 100/100/100 > 90/80/80 (except after V-Create drops).

Anyway I was thiking, how about using Agility on Arcanine? Of course either Extremespeed/Morning Sun/Wild Charge would have to be sacrificed for it. But with Lucario's attack stat (Plus Sun/Flash Fire boosts), decent coverage in Fire/Fighting (Relevant UU resists amount to Charizard, Moltres, Slowbro and Victini if I'm not wrong...), and the ability to outspeed most Scarfers & weather sweepers after a boost he could make a decent cleaner.

Anyway I was thiking, how about using Agility on Arcanine? Of course either Extremespeed/Morning Sun/Wild Charge would have to be sacrificed for it. But with Lucario's attack stat (Plus Sun/Flash Fire boosts), decent coverage in Fire/Fighting (Relevant UU resists amount to Charizard, Moltres, Slowbro and Victini if I'm not wrong...), and the ability to outspeed most Scarfers & weather sweepers after a boost he could make a decent cleaner.
Hmm I don't see it happening. Agility sets just don't work very well imo. The only truly successful one in Gen IV/V would be Empoleon, and that is due to Sandstorm immunity, priority resistances barring Mach Punch, and Torrent. Unless it pulls off Flash Fire in the Sun, the only advantage Arcanine would have is better speed. Otherwise it's too easily walled and wears down too fast due to weather, recoil, and priority attacks. Note also that Agility was hardy popular in Gen IV as well.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm I don't see it happening. Agility sets just don't work very well imo. The only truly successful one in Gen IV/V would be Empoleon, and that is due to Sandstorm immunity, priority resistances barring Mach Punch, and Torrent. Unless it pulls off Flash Fire in the Sun, the only advantage Arcanine would have is better speed. Otherwise it's too easily walled and wears down too fast due to weather, recoil, and priority attacks. Note also that Agility was hardy popular in Gen IV as well.
While I do think Agility is not effect on Arcanine (he has Extremespeed anything), Agility sets are effective on the right Pokemon. Last gen, Empoleon was not the only Pokemon who ran an effective Agility set. AgiliGross, Agility Lucario and even Agility Dragonite were good. In UU, Aggron, Blaziken, Rhyperior and Torterra all ran effective Agility/Rock Polish sets.

While I do think Agility is not effect on Arcanine (he has Extremespeed anything), Agility sets are effective on the right Pokemon. Last gen, Empoleon was not the only Pokemon who ran an effective Agility set. AgiliGross, Agility Lucario and even Agility Dragonite were good. In UU, Aggron, Blaziken, Rhyperior and Torterra all ran effective Agility/Rock Polish sets.

That's true actually, I completely forgot about those Pokemon you mentioned haha

Sorry but how is Arcanine's bulk way better? It has 90/80/80 defensive stats, Victini has 100/100/100. The only thing might be Intimidate.

This is and always will be the best Fire-type in UU, after Victini gets the banning it needs. With the addition of Wild Bolt and Close Combat, Arcanine can hit a ton of other threats, like Milotic and Suicune, without having to use Toxic, which really didn't help against Milotics that utilized ResTalk. Arcanine will definitely be one of the biggest threats in the UU tier.

Hmm I don't see it happening. Agility sets just don't work very well imo. The only truly successful one in Gen IV/V would be Empoleon
AgiliCario and AgiliGross of Gen4 would like to have a word with you, sir.

EDIT: Ninja'd...

i feel like victini is just going to get more done... with fusion bolt to help it wreak havoc against some of the water types that will give arcanine some trouble, even if they cant damage him too well, he cant do a huge amount to them either, especially when you consider intimidate is a one time boost/drop.

but then again, victini definitely looks like it will be banned.

Well, I guess you could switch Arcanine into a Fire-type attack, use the Flash Fire boost + Sun + STAB + Life Orb to do some massive damage with Flare Blitz, but you're going to be taking some serious recoil damage that might drag you down to >50%.

Personally, I prefer Houndoom. It beats both of Victini's two STABs, Flash Fire, pseudo-Trapping with Pursuit and Sucker Punch, and Nasty Plot. Biggest threat would be bulky Water-types, but I guess that's why Tangrowth and co. were created.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)