Ubers Arceus-Psychic

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
[OVERVIEW]
* A Psychic typing allows Arceus-Psychic to resist attacks from Psychic-type attackers and Psychic terrain teams, allowing it to switch into and wall the most dangerous attackers in those archetypes, most notably Ultra Necrozma. This provides Arceus-Psychic with its main niche as a solid but passive answer to these builds.
* Arceus-Psychic's typing also allows it to handle a variety of miscellaneous threats including Mega Lucario, Blaziken, and Toxapex. A resistance to Fighting is particularly noteworthy, as it distinguishes Arceus-Psychic from Arceus-Dark, the Arceus forme more typically used to handle Psychic-types and Psychic Terrain teams.
* Access to status options including Toxic to put passive Pokemon on a timer and Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers allows Arceus-Psychic to punish most of its switch-ins.
* Arceus-Psychic is extremely passive, as Judgment is resisted by common Steel-, Psychic-, and Dark-types. This leaves Arceus-Psychic reliant on status to punish most of its switch-ins and unable to meaningfully punish bulky Pokemon immune to or capable of removing status.
* Gothitelle can easily trap Arceus-Psychic with Shadow Tag and dispatch it with a PP stall, undermining its reliability as a wall. Mega Gengar also threatens to trap Arceus-Psychic if it falls below 50% HP or gets hit by status, requiring careful play against a common matchup.
* While Arceus-Psychic has a usable defensive typing, it invites weaknesses to Ghost- and Dark-type attackers such as Lunala, Marshadow, Arceus-Dark, Arceus-Ghost, and most importantly Yveltal. This makes it struggle as a general-purpose wall compared to its competition, as other Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water and Arceus-Ground have less relevant weaknesses and cover a similar niche. Because of this, Arceus-Psychic's niche is restricted to teams that need an answer to Psychic terrain teams and cannot afford the Fighting weakness of Arceus-Dark.

[SET]
name: Wall
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Ice Beam / Toxic
item: Mind Plate
ability: Multitype
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Psychic-type STAB move that allows Arceus-Psychic to hit Poison- and Fighting-types super effectively, notably achieving OHKOs against Mega Gengar, Marshadow, Blaziken, and Naganadel as well as reliably 2HKOing Toxapex. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Psychic with a way to punish physical attackers that may try to take advantage of its passivity to set up on it by burning them and halving their attack. Necrozma-DM in particular is severely debilitated by a burn and would otherwise easily take advantage of Arceus-Psychic with its 4x resistance to Judgment, and Ultra Necrozma is weakened by it enough to keep its damage output manageable as Arceus-Psychic chips at it.
* Recover is the mandatory healing move, keeping Arceus-Psychic healthy to take hits throughout the match.
* Ice Beam allows Arceus-Psychic to punish Dragon-type sweepers that may take advantage of its passive nature to set up, notably OHKOing Mega Salamence, 2HKOing Zygarde-C, and 2HKOing Ultra Necrozma after burn or Stealth Rock damage.
* Toxic can be used as a way to threaten passive special attackers, such as support Arceus formes that do not fear a burn and can heal off chip damage from Judgment.

Set Details
========
* Full investment in HP increases Arceus-Psychic's bulk, allowing it to sponge hits and provide team support throughout the match.
* Full Speed investment allows Arceus-Psychic to at worst Speed tie with other base 120 Speed Pokemon, allowing it to threaten Arceus-Ground with a burn before it can use Substitute and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam before it can attack.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Psychic to better take hits from the Psychic-types it is meant to check, notably allowing it to switch into Psychic from Deoxys-A and still tank a Dark Pulse before OHKOing. The Speed investment is still enough to outspeed Mega Lucario and threaten it with Will-O-Wisp and Judgment.
* Multitype is Arceus's mandatory ability and combines with Mind Plate to form Arceus-Psychic and provide it with a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Psychic should be liberally switched into the Pokemon it is meant to check, especially Psychic-types such as Ultra Necrozma, Mewtwo formes and Deoxys-A, as its bulk and recovery allow it to sponge their otherwise threatening hits throughout the match. However, be careful when facing a boosted Ultra Necrozma, as its Light That Burns the Sky has a chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock at +2. Prevent this situation by seeking to burn Ultra Necrozma before it transforms or relying on Dark-types to take that Z-Move.
* Note that despite their powerful super effective STAB moves and higher Speed, neither Marshadow nor Mega Gengar is capable of OHKOing Arceus-Psychic from full HP even after Stealth Rock, while Arceus-Psychic does OHKO with Judgment, so keep Arceus-Psychic healthy allows it to be used as a check against these in a pinch. At the same time, be careful to avoid being trapped by Mega Gengar if Arceus-Psychic falls into KO range of Hex or Shadow Ball.
* After Arceus-Psychic is brought in against a Pokemon it checks, your opponent will most likely switch to either an attacker that can set up on Arceus-Psychic or a passive special attacker that can easily wall it; try to predict these switches and punish them with Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or a double switch as appropriate.
* Try to avoid status, especially poison, as it will severely limit Arceus-Psychic's ability to sponge hits. Trading Toxic with other passive Pokemon may be worth it if the opponent lacks a way to remove it, especially given Arceus-Psychic's matchup-reliance, but avoid doing this if facing Arceus-Psychic's ideal matchup against Psychic Terrain teams.
* If running other Pokemon with Toxic, be careful clicking Will-O-Wisp when anticipating switches. Passive Pokemon such as Arceus-Water, which often switch into Arceus-Psychic, can actually benefit from being burned, as they do not mind the Attack drop and become immune to Toxic.
* Arceus-Psychic lacks a way to meaningfully damage passive Pokemon capable of recovering or blocking status, notably including Mega Sableye, Blissey, and Chansey. If the opponent has such a Pokemon, Arceus-Psychic will be borderline useless, as the opponent can just switch to them with no penalty whenever Arceus-Psychic is sent out. Unless trying to bait a switch to these Pokemon, such as by double-switching, simply do not send out Arceus-Psychic at all in this matchup, as that way it can at least pressure the opponent by threatening to be a sweeping Arceus forme.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Psychic is meant to protect a team from Psychic Terrain and Psychic-type attackers, so teams that need an answer to these threats but cannot afford the Fighting-type weakness of Arceus-Dark may consider Arceus-Psychic.
* Arceus-Psychic's passivity allows sweepers to take advantage of it and set up, so a Pokemon that can patch up these weaknesses, such as Marshadow, Choice Scarf Xerneas, or Choice Scarf Yveltal, would make a good partner.
* Arceus-Psychic is easily exploited by Dark-types, so a Fairy-type that can switch into attacks from especially Yveltal would be helpful. Magearna stands out as the Pokemon most capable of hard switching into Dark-types repeatedly, and bulkier or Choice Xerneas sets can also perform this role effectively.
* Similarly, Arceus-Psychic appreciates a good switch-in to Ghost-type attacks that could hit it super effectively. Yveltal is a good partner in this regard, threatening the tier's Ghost-types with an OHKO and having enough bulk to comfortably take a few resisted attacks even from powerful attackers such as Marshadow and Mega Gengar.
* Because Arceus-Psychic is so passive, the main way to punish the opponent for offensive plays, especially if lacking dual status, is to run a wallbreaker that can be used to double switch into. Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Choice Specs Xerneas and Yveltal are examples of wallbreakers that can be devastating given good prediction.
* Hex Mega Gengar is a very good partner for dual status Arceus-Psychic, as it greatly appreciates Arceus-Psychic's ability to spread status while implicitly magnifying Arceus-Psychic's offensive presence by threatening to hit statused targets with boosted Hex.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Arceus-Psychic could run Fire Blast in place of Will-O-Wisp to chip at Steel-types such as Magearna and Celesteela that could otherwise switch into it comfortably while still managing to do enough damage to offensive Necrozma-DM to feasibly deter it from setting up.
* Roar is an option to attempt to compensate for the ease of various sweepers setting up on Arceus-Psychic on one slot. It is overly passive, but it can be a relatively viable option if paired with Spikes setters to add some punishment to the phazing. It also makes it possible for Arceus-Psychic to escape Gothitelle's trapping.
* Options that defensive Arceus formes traditionally use, such as Calm Mind and Defog, are not worth considering due to Arceus-Psychic's bad offensive typing and matchup against Stealth Rock setters.
* Running Whirlpool + Perish Song allows Arceus-Psychic to trap and remove Pokemon that switch into it. Most Pokemon beat Arceus-Psychic easily within three turns, but those hoping to stall it out with Toxic such as Arceus-Water and Necrozma-DM could actually lose to this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types are immune to Judgment and threaten Arceus-Psychic with super effective STAB moves, making them serve as hard checks. Probably the best counter to Arceus-Psychic is Calm Mind Arceus-Dark, which can boost on it safely, heals off status with Refresh, and has a powerful super effective STAB move; non-Calm Mind variants also win easily, as their Judgment 2HKOes Arceus-Psychic. Yveltal is immune to Arceus-Psychic's Judgment, at worst 2HKOes with Dark Pulse, and isn't bothered by Will-O-Wisp, making it a solid counter.

**Ghost-types**: Marshadow and Mega Gengar are both capable of outspeeding and revenge killing Arceus-Psychic with their devastating STAB moves, although neither will OHKO and both get OHKOed in return, so Arceus-Psychic can deter these Pokemon by avoiding chip damage. Lunala, Arceus-Ghost, and Giratina-O check Arceus-Psychic by threatening it with super effective STAB moves and mostly fear taking Toxic in return. Giratina will easily Toxic stall Arceus-Psychic and can heal its own status with Rest.

**Gothitelle**: Gothitelle can switch into any of Arceus-Psychic's sets, PP stall it, and eliminate it with no risk, severely undermining its utility as a defensive Pokemon.

**Wallbreakers**: Due to Arceus-Psychic's passive nature, wallbreakers such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Choice Band Ho-Oh, and (if lacking Ice Beam) Rayquaza should be able to break through Arceus-Psychic by outdamaging its attacks and recovery. Setup sweepers such as Xerneas can similarly exploit it for setup.

**Status Spreaders**: Pokemon that can spread Toxic, such as support Arceus formes, defensive Necrozma-DM, Lugia, defensive Ho-Oh sets, Giratina, and other passive Pokemon should be able to shrug off hits from Arceus-Psychic and Toxic stall it.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM has little to fear from Arceus-Psychic except Will-O-Wisp, and while burning Necrozma-DM is a very effective punish option, both offensive and defensive sets still check Arceus-Psychic when burned. Celesteela, Magearna, Skarmory, and the rest of the tier's Steel-types resist Psychic moves and are immune to Toxic, allowing them to completely wall it with little risk and set up on or Toxic stall it.

Last edited:

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Thanks to UPL QC for giving me a bit of extra time when finals turned out unexpectedly harsh. I think this is ready for QC.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is the worst Arceus-type and the least used Uber there is. Might want to play up these two facts in the intro.

Necrozma-DM can set up basically for free against any Arceus-Psychic set lacking Will-O-Wisp, and while burning Necrozma-DM is a very effective punish option, both offensive and defensive sets still check Arceus-Psychic when burned.
Wisp is unslashed and there is no moves mention of something that would be run over it. Might want to reword this point.

There's some overlap with "Status Spreaders" and "Steel-types". Basically Steel-types beat it because they can Toxic stall. Fast Wisp + Recover from Arceus largely invalidates the SE Steel-type moves thing.

QC: 1/3

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
This is the worst Arceus-type and the least used Uber there is. Might want to play up these two facts in the intro.

Wisp is unslashed and there is no moves mention of something that would be run over it. Might want to reword this point.

There's some overlap with "Status Spreaders" and "Steel-types". Basically Steel-types beat it because they can Toxic stall. Fast Wisp + Recover from Arceus largely invalidates the SE Steel-type moves thing.

QC: 1/3
Implemented, thanks for the check!
I originally agreed with you that Psychic was the worst Arceus, but Nayrz and Shrang made a pretty good argument for Fightceus being worse, so I just said least-used uber to avoid that debate.

* A Psychic-typing allows Arceus-Psychic to resist attacks from Psychic-spam teams,
not a proper term for analysis purposes. the point above this also tells me... extremely little.
* Unfortunately, Arceus-Psychic's atrocious defensive typing
its only weak to 2 common types and neutral vs a lot... i don't see this as atrocious personally
as it allows the likes of Yveltal, Marshadow, Lunala, Giratina-O, Arceus-Dark, and Arceus-Ghost to hit it super effectively.
the only "prominent metagame threat" that properly threatens psyceus is yveltal. marshadow can't ohko it unless its running z-move. dusk mane gets burned. lunala is a massive threat, but not very common currently. giratina-o doesnt resist anything and risks getting burned too. arceus-dark you can switch from relatively easily. arceus-ghost risks a burn.
* Gothitelle and Mega Gengar can both easily trap Arceus-Psychic with Shadow Tag and dispatch it with either PP stall or super effective Ghost-type moves, severely undermining its ability to serve as a wall.
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Psychic: 222-264 (50 - 59.4%)
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Psychic: 272-324 (61.2 - 72.9%)
so gengar requires status on it, or to be running destiny bond to actually win. it sure as hell isnt easily trapping it. gothitelle is a free loss, yes.
* Arceus-Psychic is also extremely passive, as it relies on status and a Judgment resisted by common Steel- and Dark-types to do damage. This allows major threats, Necrozma-DM in particular, to use it as setup fodder.
wisp is on this set for a reason...? things i read further down this analysis only contradict your points made up here.

I seem to be the only one with this opinion so far, but the problem with Arceus-Psychic is not that it is outright bad by itself. The issue is that it is completely outclassed, yet the overview is giving misleading information on its matchups and saying its bad for those reasons which is something I take issue with. It is being compared to Arceus-Dark, but lacks the Fighting-type weakness which turns Lucario from "get fucked" to "checked". Marshadow has to click its lower BP move, meaning it can't OHKO. Most Fairy-types switch into a move that does damage, not tickling them. I don't think this comparison is that fair. Its also a support mon. Most support Arceus formes have things that will easily switch into them. I feel the overview just doesn't hit the mark despite having a basic idea. Like... if forced to use this, it is still a relatively fast mon that checks some Fighting-types and whatever is slower just by taking hits. It is very outclassed, but if you REALLY want to use this I believe something can be gained - that is what the overview is not properly going over and just throws "it sucks" statements out without much consideration.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Psychic to still outspeed and potentially revenge kill or at least burn Mega Lucario.
The spread already outspeeds this...

Usage Tips and to some extent Team Options also have this theme of just relaxing in calling it bad. There are a few things I'd go over in these sections but they more or less relate to my points already mentioned. If QC are on a different page to me (and from what I've spoken so far it seems that way), then so be it, ignore the above and let the next guy stamp this. I'm offering feedback from my point of view on what I'd want from a quality analysis, and I think this isn't hitting my mark.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
not a proper term for analysis purposes. the point above this also tells me... extremely little.

its only weak to 2 common types and neutral vs a lot... i don't see this as atrocious personally

the only "prominent metagame threat" that properly threatens psyceus is yveltal. marshadow can't ohko it unless its running z-move. dusk mane gets burned. lunala is a massive threat, but not very common currently. giratina-o doesnt resist anything and risks getting burned too. arceus-dark you can switch from relatively easily. arceus-ghost risks a burn.

252 SpA Gengar-Mega Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Psychic: 222-264 (50 - 59.4%)
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Psychic: 272-324 (61.2 - 72.9%)
so gengar requires status on it, or to be running destiny bond to actually win. it sure as hell isnt easily trapping it. gothitelle is a free loss, yes.

wisp is on this set for a reason...? things i read further down this analysis only contradict your points made up here.

I seem to be the only one with this opinion so far, but the problem with Arceus-Psychic is not that it is outright bad by itself. The issue is that it is completely outclassed, yet the overview is giving misleading information on its matchups and saying its bad for those reasons which is something I take issue with. It is being compared to Arceus-Dark, but lacks the Fighting-type weakness which turns Lucario from "get fucked" to "checked". Marshadow has to click its lower BP move, meaning it can't OHKO. Most Fairy-types switch into a move that does damage, not tickling them. I don't think this comparison is that fair. Its also a support mon. Most support Arceus formes have things that will easily switch into them. I feel the overview just doesn't hit the mark despite having a basic idea. Like... if forced to use this, it is still a relatively fast mon that checks some Fighting-types and whatever is slower just by taking hits. It is very outclassed, but if you REALLY want to use this I believe something can be gained - that is what the overview is not properly going over and just throws "it sucks" statements out without much consideration.

The spread already outspeeds this...

Usage Tips and to some extent Team Options also have this theme of just relaxing in calling it bad. There are a few things I'd go over in these sections but they more or less relate to my points already mentioned. If QC are on a different page to me (and from what I've spoken so far it seems that way), then so be it, ignore the above and let the next guy stamp this. I'm offering feedback from my point of view on what I'd want from a quality analysis, and I think this isn't hitting my mark.
Thank you for the thorough feedback!
I did my best to implement your idea of how the analysis should look, giving it a bit more credit for what it can do and mentioning its competition as the main reason its never run. I'd appreciate more feedback to see if the analysis looks more like how you would want it, especially if some QC discussion can take place to reconcile QC opinion here, as your instructions do run in the opposite direction as Minority's, and I honestly see enough virtue in both viewpoints to be a bit uncertain on where I would stand as well.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
I addressed most of the issues Nayrz had back in April (most notably a lack of emphasis on Ultra), so this is ready for QC again. Should have probably posted this earlier instead of just quietly doing it, my bad.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Make sure to post in the GP queue next time, but this was well written.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
* A Psychic-(RH)typing allows Arceus-Psychic to resist attacks from Psychic-type attackers and Psychic Terrain teams, allowing it to switch into and wall the most dangerous attackers in those archetypes, most notably Ultra Necrozma. This provides Arceus-Psychic with its main niche as a solid,(RC) if but passive,(RC) answer to these builds.
* Arceus-Psychic's typing also allows it to handle a variety of miscellaneous threats including Mega Lucario, Blaziken, and Toxapex. A resistance to Fighting is particularly noteworthy,(AC) as it distinguishes Arceus-Psychic from Arceus-Dark, the Arceus forme more typically used to handle Psychic-types and Psychic Terrain teams.
* Access to status options including Toxic to put passive Pokemon on a timer and Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers allows it to punish most of its switch-(AH)ins.
* Arceus-Psychic is extremely passive, as Judgment is resisted by common Steel-, Psychic-, and Dark-types. This leaves Arceus-Psychic reliant on status to punish most of its switch-ins,(RC) and unable to meaningfully punish bulky Pokemon immune to or capable or of removing status.
* Gothitelle can easily trap Arceus-Psychic with Shadow Tag and dispatch it with a PP stall, undermining its reliability as a wall. Mega Gengar also threatens to trap Arceus-Psychic if it falls below 50% hp HP or gets hit by status, requiring careful and risky (these are opposites) play against a common matchup.
* While Arceus-Psychic is has a usable defensive typing, it invites weaknesses to Ghost- and Dark-type attackers such as Lunala, Marshadow, Arceus-Dark, Arceus-Ghost, and most importantly Yveltal. This makes it struggle as a general-purpose wall compared to its competition, as other Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water and Arceus-Ground have less relevant weaknesses and cover a similar niche. Because of this, Arceus-Psychic's niche is restricted to teams that need an answer to Psychic Terrain teams and cannot afford the Fighting weakness of Arceus-Dark.

[SET]
Move 1: Judgment
Move 2: Will-O-Wisp
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Ice Beam / Toxic
Item: Mind Plate
Ability: Multitype
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Psychic-type STAB which move that allows Arceus-Psychic to hit Poison- and Fighting-types super effectively, notably achieving OHKOs against Mega Gengar, Marshadow, Blaziken, and Naganadel, as well as reliably 2HKOing Toxapex. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Psychic with a way to punish physical attackers that may try to take advantage of its passivity to set up on it,(RC) by burning them and halving their attack. Necrozma-DM in particular is severely debilitated by a burn and would otherwise easily take advantage of Arceus-Psychic with its 4x resistance to Judgment, and Ultra Necrozma is weakened by it enough to keep its damage output manageable as Arceus-Psychic chips at it.
* Recover is the mandatory healing move, keeping Arceus-Psychic healthy to take hits throughout the match.
* Ice Beam allows Arceus-Psychic to punish Dragon-type sweepers that may take advantage of its passive nature to set up, notably OHKOing Mega Salamence, 2HKOing Zygarde-C, and 2HKOing Ultra Necrozma after burn or Stealth Rock damage.
* Toxic can be used as a way to threaten passive special attackers, such as support Arceus formes, which that do not fear a burn and can heal off chip damage from Judgment.

Set Details
========
* Full investment in HP increases Arceus-Psychic's bulk, allowing it to sponge hits and provide team support throughout the match.
* Full Speed investment allows Arceus-Psychic to at worst Speed-(RH)tie with other base 120s 120 Speed Pokemon, allowing it to threaten Arceus-Ground with a burn before it can use Substitute,(RC) and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam before it can attack.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Psychic allows Arceus-Psychic to better take hits from the Psychic-types it is meant to check, notably allowing it to switch into Psychic from Deoxys-A and still tank a Dark Pulse before OHKOing. The Speed investment is still enough to outspeed Mega Lucario and threaten it with Will-O-Wisp and Judgment.
* Multitype is Arceus's mandatory ability,(RC) and combines with Mind Plate to form Arceus-Psychic and provide it with a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Psychic should be liberally switched into the Pokemon it is meant to check, especially the Psychic-types it is most meant to check such as Ultra Necrozma, Mewtwo formes,(AC) and Deoxys-A, as its bulk and recovery allow it to sponge their otherwise threatening hits throughout the match. However, be careful when facing a boosted Ultra Necrozma, as its signature Z-move Light That Burns the Sky has a chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock at +2. Prevent this situation by seeking to burn Ultra Necrozma before it transforms,(RC) or relying on Dark-types to take that Z-Move.
* Note that despite their powerful super effective STAB moves and higher Speed, neither Marshadow nor Mega Gengar are capable of OHKOing Arceus-Psychic from full HP even after Stealth Rock, while Arceus-Psychic does OHKO with Judgment, so keep Arceus-Psychic healthy and so it can be used as a check against these in a pinch. At the same time, be careful to avoid being trapped by Mega Gengar if Arceus-Psychic falls into KO range of Hex or Shadow Ball.
* After Arceus-Psychic is brought in against a Pokemon it checks, your opponent will most likely switch to either an attacker that can set up on Arceus-Psychic or a passive special attacker that can easily wall it; try to predict these switches and punish them with Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or a double switch as appropriate.
* Try to avoid status, especially poison, as it will severely limit Arceus-Psychic's ability to sponge hits. Trading Toxic with other passive Pokemon may be worth it if the opponent lacks a way to remove it, especially given Arceus-Psychic's matchup reliance, but avoid doing this if facing Arceus-Psychic's ideal matchup against Psychic-spam Psychic Terrain teams.
* If running other Pokemon with Toxic, be careful clicking Will-O-Wisp when anticipating switches. Passive Pokemon such as Arceus-Water, which often switch into Arceus-Psychic, can actually benefit from being burned,(AC) as they do not mind the Attack drop and become immune to Toxic.
* Arceus-Psychic lacks a way to meaningfully damage passive Pokemon capable of recovering or blocking status, notably including Mega Sableye, Blissey, and Chansey. If the opponent has such a Pokemon, Arceus-Psychic will be borderline useless, as the opponent can just switch to them with no penalty whenever Arceus-Psychic is sent out. Unless trying to bait a switch to these Pokemon, such as for by double-switching, simply do not send out Arceus-Psychic at all in this matchup, as that way it can at least pressure the opponent by threatening to be a sweeping Arceus forme.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Psychic is meant to protect a team from Psychic Terrain teams and Psychic-type attackers, so teams that need an answer to these threats but cannot afford the Fighting-type weakness of Arceus-Dark may consider Arceus-Psychic.
* Arceus-Psychic's passivity allows sweepers to take advantage of it and set up, so a Pokemon that can put out the resulting fires patch up these weaknesses (more clear when reading this sentence for the first time), such as Marshadow,(AC) Choice or Scarf Xerneas,(AC) or Choice Scarf and Yveltal, would make a good partner.
* Arceus-Psychic is easily exploited by Dark-types, so a Fairy-type that can switch into attacks from especially Yveltal would be helpful. Magearna stands out as the Pokemon most capable of hard-(RH)switching into Dark-types repeatedly, and bulkier or Choice Xerneas sets can also perform this role effectively.
* Similarly, Arceus-Psychic appreciates a good switch-(AH)in to Ghost-type attacks that could hit it super effectively. Yveltal is a good partner in this regard, threatening the tier's Ghost-types with a an OHKO and having enough bulk to comfortably take a few resisted attacks even from powerful attackers such as Marshadow and Mega Gengar.
* Because Arceus-Psychic is so passive, the main way to punish the opponent for offensive plays, especially if lacking dual-(RH)status, is to run a wallbreaker that can be used to double-(RH)switch into. Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Choice Specs Xerneas and Yveltal are examples of wallbreakers that can be devastating given good prediction.
* Hex Mega Gengar is a very good partner for dual status Arceus-Psychic, as it greatly appreciates Arceus-Psychic's ability to spread status,(RC) while implicitly magnifying Arceus-Psychic's offensive presence by threatening to hit statused targets with boosted Hex.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Arceus-Psychic could run Fire Blast in place of Will-O-Wisp to chip at Steel-types such as Magearna and Celesteela that could otherwise switch into it comfortably,(RC) while still managing to do enough damage to offensive Necrozma-DM to feasibly deter it from setup setting up.
* Roar is an option to attempt to compensate for the ease of various sweepers setting up on Arceus-Psychic on one slot. It is overly passive, but it can be a relatively viable option if paired with Spikes setters to add some punishment to the phazing. It also makes it possible for Arceus-Psychic to escape Gothitelle's trapping.
* Options that defensive Arceus formes traditionally use, such as Calm Mind and Defog, are not worth considering due to Arceus-Psychic's bad offensive typing and matchup against Stealth Rock setters.
* Running Whirlpool with + Perish Song allows Arceus-Psychic to trap and remove Pokemon that switch into it. Most Pokemon beat Arceus-Psychic easily within 3 within turns, but those hoping to stall it out with Toxic such as Arceus-Water and Necrozma-DM could actually lose to this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types are immune to Judgment and threaten Arceus-Psychic with super effective STAB moves, making them serve as hard checks. Probably the best counter to Arceus-Psychic is Calm Mind Arceus-Dark, which can boost on it safely, heal heals off status with Refresh, and has a powerful super effective STAB move; non-Calm Mind variants also win easily,(AC) as their Judgment 2HKOes Arceus-Psychic. Yveltal is immune to Arceus-Psychic's Judgment, at worst 2HKOes with Dark Pulse, and isn't bothered by Will-O-Wisp, making it a solid counter.

**Ghost-types**: Marshadow and Mega Gengar are both capable of outspeeding and revenge killing Arceus-Psychic with their devastating STAB moves, although neither will OHKO and both get OHKOed in return, so Arceus-Psychic can deter these Pokemon by avoiding chip damage. Lunala, Arceus-Ghost,(AC) and Giratina-O check Arceus-Psychic by threatening it with super effective STABs STAB moves and mostly fear taking Toxic in return. Giratina will easily Toxic stall Arceus-Psychic and can heal its own status with Rest.

**Gothitelle**: Gothitelle can switch into any of Arceus-Psychic's sets, PP stall it,(AC) and eliminate it with no risk, severely undermining its utility as a defensive Pokemon.

**Wallbreakers**: Due to Arceus-Psychic's passive nature, wallbreakers such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Choice Band Ho-Oh, and (if lacking Ice Beam) Rayquaza should be able to break through Arceus-Psychic by outdamaging its attacks and recovery. Setup sweepers such as Xerneas can similarly exploit it for setup.

**Status Spreaders**: Pokemon that can spread Toxic, such as support Arceus formes, defensive Necrozma-DM, Lugia, defensive Ho-Oh sets, Giratina, and other passive Pokemon should be able to shrug off hits from Arceus-Psychic and Toxic stall it.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM has little to fear from Arceus-Psychic except Will-O-Wisp, and while burning Necrozma-DM is a very effective punish option, both offensive and defensive sets still check Arceus-Psychic when burned. Celesteela, Magearna, Skarmory, and the rest of the tier's Steel-types resist Psychic moves and are immune to Toxic, allowing them to completely wall it with little risk and set up on it or Toxic stall it.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
Make sure to post in the GP queue next time, but this was well written.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
* A Psychic-(RH)typing allows Arceus-Psychic to resist attacks from Psychic-type attackers and Psychic Terrain teams, allowing it to switch into and wall the most dangerous attackers in those archetypes, most notably Ultra Necrozma. This provides Arceus-Psychic with its main niche as a solid,(RC) if but passive,(RC) answer to these builds.
* Arceus-Psychic's typing also allows it to handle a variety of miscellaneous threats including Mega Lucario, Blaziken, and Toxapex. A resistance to Fighting is particularly noteworthy,(AC) as it distinguishes Arceus-Psychic from Arceus-Dark, the Arceus forme more typically used to handle Psychic-types and Psychic Terrain teams.
* Access to status options including Toxic to put passive Pokemon on a timer and Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers allows it to punish most of its switch-(AH)ins.
* Arceus-Psychic is extremely passive, as Judgment is resisted by common Steel-, Psychic-, and Dark-types. This leaves Arceus-Psychic reliant on status to punish most of its switch-ins,(RC) and unable to meaningfully punish bulky Pokemon immune to or capable or of removing status.
* Gothitelle can easily trap Arceus-Psychic with Shadow Tag and dispatch it with a PP stall, undermining its reliability as a wall. Mega Gengar also threatens to trap Arceus-Psychic if it falls below 50% hp HP or gets hit by status, requiring careful and risky (these are opposites) play against a common matchup.
* While Arceus-Psychic is has a usable defensive typing, it invites weaknesses to Ghost- and Dark-type attackers such as Lunala, Marshadow, Arceus-Dark, Arceus-Ghost, and most importantly Yveltal. This makes it struggle as a general-purpose wall compared to its competition, as other Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water and Arceus-Ground have less relevant weaknesses and cover a similar niche. Because of this, Arceus-Psychic's niche is restricted to teams that need an answer to Psychic Terrain teams and cannot afford the Fighting weakness of Arceus-Dark.

[SET]
Move 1: Judgment
Move 2: Will-O-Wisp
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Ice Beam / Toxic
Item: Mind Plate
Ability: Multitype
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Psychic-type STAB which move that allows Arceus-Psychic to hit Poison- and Fighting-types super effectively, notably achieving OHKOs against Mega Gengar, Marshadow, Blaziken, and Naganadel, as well as reliably 2HKOing Toxapex. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Psychic with a way to punish physical attackers that may try to take advantage of its passivity to set up on it,(RC) by burning them and halving their attack. Necrozma-DM in particular is severely debilitated by a burn and would otherwise easily take advantage of Arceus-Psychic with its 4x resistance to Judgment, and Ultra Necrozma is weakened by it enough to keep its damage output manageable as Arceus-Psychic chips at it.
* Toxic can be used as a way to threaten passive special attackers, such as support Arceus formes, which that do not fear a burn and can heal off chip damage from Judgment.

Set Details
========
* Full Speed investment allows Arceus-Psychic to at worst Speed-(RH)tie with other base 120s 120 Speed Pokemon, allowing it to threaten Arceus-Ground with a burn before it can use Substitute,(RC) and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam before it can attack.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Psychic allows Arceus-Psychic to better take hits from the Psychic-types it is meant to check, notably allowing it to switch into Psychic from Deoxys-A and still tank a Dark Pulse before OHKOing. The Speed investment is still enough to outspeed Mega Lucario and threaten it with Will-O-Wisp and Judgment.
* Multitype is Arceus's mandatory ability,(RC) and combines with Mind Plate to form Arceus-Psychic and provide it with a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Psychic should be liberally switched into the Pokemon it is meant to check, especially the Psychic-types it is most meant to check such as Ultra Necrozma, Mewtwo formes,(AC) and Deoxys-A, as its bulk and recovery allow it to sponge their otherwise threatening hits throughout the match. However, be careful when facing a boosted Ultra Necrozma, as its signature Z-move Light That Burns the Sky has a chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock at +2. Prevent this situation by seeking to burn Ultra Necrozma before it transforms,(RC) or relying on Dark-types to take that Z-Move.
* Note that despite their powerful super effective STAB moves and higher Speed, neither Marshadow nor Mega Gengar are capable of OHKOing Arceus-Psychic from full HP even after Stealth Rock, while Arceus-Psychic does OHKO with Judgment, so keep Arceus-Psychic healthy and so it can be used as a check against these in a pinch. At the same time, be careful to avoid being trapped by Mega Gengar if Arceus-Psychic falls into KO range of Hex or Shadow Ball.
* Try to avoid status, especially poison, as it will severely limit Arceus-Psychic's ability to sponge hits. Trading Toxic with other passive Pokemon may be worth it if the opponent lacks a way to remove it, especially given Arceus-Psychic's matchup reliance, but avoid doing this if facing Arceus-Psychic's ideal matchup against Psychic-spam Psychic Terrain teams.
* If running other Pokemon with Toxic, be careful clicking Will-O-Wisp when anticipating switches. Passive Pokemon such as Arceus-Water, which often switch into Arceus-Psychic, can actually benefit from being burned,(AC) as they do not mind the Attack drop and become immune to Toxic.
* Arceus-Psychic lacks a way to meaningfully damage passive Pokemon capable of recovering or blocking status, notably including Mega Sableye, Blissey, and Chansey. If the opponent has such a Pokemon, Arceus-Psychic will be borderline useless, as the opponent can just switch to them with no penalty whenever Arceus-Psychic is sent out. Unless trying to bait a switch to these Pokemon, such as for by double-switching, simply do not send out Arceus-Psychic at all in this matchup, as that way it can at least pressure the opponent by threatening to be a sweeping Arceus forme.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Psychic is meant to protect a team from Psychic Terrain teams and Psychic-type attackers, so teams that need an answer to these threats but cannot afford the Fighting-type weakness of Arceus-Dark may consider Arceus-Psychic.
* Arceus-Psychic's passivity allows sweepers to take advantage of it and set up, so a Pokemon that can put out the resulting fires patch up these weaknesses (more clear when reading this sentence for the first time), such as Marshadow,(AC) Choice or Scarf Xerneas,(AC) or Choice Scarf and Yveltal, would make a good partner.
* Arceus-Psychic is easily exploited by Dark-types, so a Fairy-type that can switch into attacks from especially Yveltal would be helpful. Magearna stands out as the Pokemon most capable of hard-(RH)switching into Dark-types repeatedly, and bulkier or Choice Xerneas sets can also perform this role effectively.
* Similarly, Arceus-Psychic appreciates a good switch-(AH)in to Ghost-type attacks that could hit it super effectively. Yveltal is a good partner in this regard, threatening the tier's Ghost-types with a an OHKO and having enough bulk to comfortably take a few resisted attacks even from powerful attackers such as Marshadow and Mega Gengar.
* Because Arceus-Psychic is so passive, the main way to punish the opponent for offensive plays, especially if lacking dual-(RH)status, is to run a wallbreaker that can be used to double-(RH)switch into. Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Choice Specs Xerneas and Yveltal are examples of wallbreakers that can be devastating given good prediction.
* Hex Mega Gengar is a very good partner for dual status Arceus-Psychic, as it greatly appreciates Arceus-Psychic's ability to spread status,(RC) while implicitly magnifying Arceus-Psychic's offensive presence by threatening to hit statused targets with boosted Hex.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Arceus-Psychic could run Fire Blast in place of Will-O-Wisp to chip at Steel-types such as Magearna and Celesteela that could otherwise switch into it comfortably,(RC) while still managing to do enough damage to offensive Necrozma-DM to feasibly deter it from setup setting up.
* Running Whirlpool with + Perish Song allows Arceus-Psychic to trap and remove Pokemon that switch into it. Most Pokemon beat Arceus-Psychic easily within 3 within turns, but those hoping to stall it out with Toxic such as Arceus-Water and Necrozma-DM could actually lose to this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types are immune to Judgment and threaten Arceus-Psychic with super effective STAB moves, making them serve as hard checks. Probably the best counter to Arceus-Psychic is Calm Mind Arceus-Dark, which can boost on it safely, heal heals off status with Refresh, and has a powerful super effective STAB move; non-Calm Mind variants also win easily,(AC) as their Judgment 2HKOes Arceus-Psychic. Yveltal is immune to Arceus-Psychic's Judgment, at worst 2HKOes with Dark Pulse, and isn't bothered by Will-O-Wisp, making it a solid counter.

**Ghost-types**: Marshadow and Mega Gengar are both capable of outspeeding and revenge killing Arceus-Psychic with their devastating STAB moves, although neither will OHKO and both get OHKOed in return, so Arceus-Psychic can deter these Pokemon by avoiding chip damage. Lunala, Arceus-Ghost,(AC) and Giratina-O check Arceus-Psychic by threatening it with super effective STABs STAB moves and mostly fear taking Toxic in return. Giratina will easily Toxic stall Arceus-Psychic and can heal its own status with Rest.

**Gothitelle**: Gothitelle can switch into any of Arceus-Psychic's sets, PP stall it,(AC) and eliminate it with no risk, severely undermining its utility as a defensive Pokemon.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM has little to fear from Arceus-Psychic except Will-O-Wisp, and while burning Necrozma-DM is a very effective punish option, both offensive and defensive sets still check Arceus-Psychic when burned. Celesteela, Magearna, Skarmory, and the rest of the tier's Steel-types resist Psychic moves and are immune to Toxic, allowing them to completely wall it with little risk and set up on it or Toxic stall it.
GP 1/2
Implemented, sorry I forgot to post and thanks for the check!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]
* A Psychic typing allows Arceus-Psychic to resist attacks from Psychic-type attackers and Psychic Terrain teams, allowing it to switch into and wall the most dangerous attackers in those archetypes, most notably Ultra Necrozma. This provides Arceus-Psychic with its main niche as a solid but passive answer to these builds.
* Arceus-Psychic's typing also allows it to handle a variety of miscellaneous threats including Mega Lucario, Blaziken, and Toxapex. A resistance to Fighting is particularly noteworthy, as it distinguishes Arceus-Psychic from Arceus-Dark, the Arceus forme more typically used to handle Psychic-types and Psychic Terrain teams.
* Access to status options including Toxic to put passive Pokemon on a timer and Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers allows it Arceus-Psychic to punish most of its switch-ins.
* Arceus-Psychic is extremely passive, as Judgment is resisted by common Steel-, Psychic-, and Dark-types. This leaves Arceus-Psychic reliant on status to punish most of its switch-ins and unable to meaningfully punish bulky Pokemon immune to or capable of removing status.
* Gothitelle can easily trap Arceus-Psychic with Shadow Tag and dispatch it with a PP stall, undermining its reliability as a wall. Mega Gengar also threatens to trap Arceus-Psychic if it falls below 50% HP or gets hit by status, requiring careful play against a common matchup.
* While Arceus-Psychic has a usable defensive typing, it invites weaknesses to Ghost- and Dark-type attackers such as Lunala, Marshadow, Arceus-Dark, Arceus-Ghost, and most importantly Yveltal. This makes it struggle as a general-purpose wall compared to its competition, as other Arceus formes such as Arceus-Water and Arceus-Ground have less relevant weaknesses and cover a similar niche. Because of this, Arceus-Psychic's niche is restricted to teams that need an answer to Psychic terrain teams and cannot afford the Fighting weakness of Arceus-Dark.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Psychic-type STAB move that allows Arceus-Psychic to hit Poison- and Fighting-types super effectively, notably achieving OHKOs against Mega Gengar, Marshadow, Blaziken, and Naganadel (RC) as well as reliably 2HKOing Toxapex. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.
* Will-O-Wisp provides Arceus-Psychic with a way to punish physical attackers that may try to take advantage of its passivity to set up on it by burning them and halving their attack. Necrozma-DM in particular is severely debilitated by a burn and would otherwise easily take advantage of Arceus-Psychic with its 4x resistance to Judgment, and Ultra Necrozma is weakened by it enough to keep its damage output manageable as Arceus-Psychic chips at it.
* Toxic can be used as a way to threaten passive special attackers, such as support Arceus formes that do not fear a burn and can heal off chip damage from Judgment.

Set Details
========
* Full Speed investment allows Arceus-Psychic to at worst Speed tie with other base 120 Speed Pokemon, allowing it to threaten Arceus-Ground with a burn before it can use Substitute and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam before it can attack.
* An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe allows Arceus-Psychic to better take hits from the Psychic-types it is meant to check, notably allowing it to switch into Psychic from Deoxys-A and still tank a Dark Pulse before OHKOing. The Speed investment is still enough to outspeed Mega Lucario and threaten it with Will-O-Wisp and Judgment.
* Multitype is Arceus's mandatory ability and combines with Mind Plate to form Arceus-Psychic and provide it with a reliable STAB move in Judgment.

Usage Tips
========
* Arceus-Psychic should be liberally switched into the Pokemon it is meant to check, especially Psychic-types such as Ultra Necrozma, Mewtwo formes and Deoxys-A, as its bulk and recovery allow it to sponge their otherwise threatening hits throughout the match. However, be careful when facing a boosted Ultra Necrozma, as its Light That Burns the Sky has a chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock at +2. Prevent this situation by seeking to burn Ultra Necrozma before it transforms or relying on Dark-types to take that Z-Move.
* Note that despite their powerful super effective STAB moves and higher Speed, neither Marshadow nor Mega Gengar are is capable of OHKOing Arceus-Psychic from full HP even after Stealth Rock, while Arceus-Psychic does OHKO with Judgment, so keeping Arceus-Psychic healthy so it canallows it to be used as a check against these in a pinch. At the same time, be careful to avoid being trapped by Mega Gengar if Arceus-Psychic falls into KO range of Hex or Shadow Ball.
* Try to avoid status, especially poison, as it will severely limit Arceus-Psychic's ability to sponge hits. Trading Toxic with other passive Pokemon may be worth it if the opponent lacks a way to remove it, especially given Arceus-Psychic's matchup-reliance, (AH) but avoid doing this if facing Arceus-Psychic's ideal matchup against Psychic Terrain teams.
* If running other Pokemon with Toxic, be careful clicking Will-O-Wisp when anticipating switches. Passive Pokemon such as Arceus-Water, which often switch into Arceus-Psychic, can actually benefit from being burned, as they do not mind the Attack drop and become immune to Toxic.
* Arceus-Psychic lacks a way to meaningfully damage passive Pokemon capable of recovering or blocking status, notably including Mega Sableye, Blissey, and Chansey. If the opponent has such a Pokemon, Arceus-Psychic will be borderline useless, as the opponent can just switch to them with no penalty whenever Arceus-Psychic is sent out. Unless trying to bait a switch to these Pokemon, such as by double-switching, simply do not send out Arceus-Psychic at all in this matchup, as that way it can at least pressure the opponent by threatening to be a sweeping Arceus forme.

Team Options
========
* Arceus-Psychic is meant to protect a team from Psychic Terrain and Psychic-type attackers, so teams that need an answer to these threats but cannot afford the Fighting-type weakness of Arceus-Dark may consider Arceus-Psychic.
* Arceus-Psychic's passivity allows sweepers to take advantage of it and set up, so a Pokemon that can patch up these weaknesses, such as Marshadow, Choice Scarf Xerneas, or Choice Scarf Yveltal, would make a good partner.
* Arceus-Psychic is easily exploited by Dark-types, so a Fairy-type that can switch into attacks from especially Yveltal would be helpful. Magearna stands out as the Pokemon most capable of hard switching into Dark-types repeatedly, and bulkier or Choice Xerneas sets can also perform this role effectively.
* Similarly, Arceus-Psychic appreciates a good switch-in to Ghost-type attacks that could hit it super effectively. Yveltal is a good partner in this regard, threatening the tier's Ghost-types with an OHKO and having enough bulk to comfortably take a few resisted attacks even from powerful attackers such as Marshadow and Mega Gengar.
* Because Arceus-Psychic is so passive, the main way to punish the opponent for offensive plays, especially if lacking dual status, is to run a wallbreaker that can be used to double switch into. Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Choice Specs Xerneas and Yveltal are examples of wallbreakers that can be devastating given good prediction.
* Hex Mega Gengar is a very good partner for dual status Arceus-Psychic, as it greatly appreciates Arceus-Psychic's ability to spread status while implicitly magnifying Arceus-Psychic's offensive presence by threatening to hit statused targets with boosted Hex.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Arceus-Psychic could run Fire Blast in place of Will-O-Wisp to chip at Steel-types such as Magearna and Celesteela that could otherwise switch into it comfortably while still managing to do enough damage to offensive Necrozma-DM to feasibly deter it from setting up.
* Running Whirlpool + Perish Song allows Arceus-Psychic to trap and remove Pokemon that switch into it. Most Pokemon beat Arceus-Psychic easily within three turns, but those hoping to stall it out with Toxic such as Arceus-Water and Necrozma-DM could actually lose to this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types are immune to Judgment and threaten Arceus-Psychic with super effective STAB moves, making them serve as hard checks. Probably the best counter to Arceus-Psychic is Calm Mind Arceus-Dark, which can boost on it safely, heals off status with Refresh, and has a powerful super effective STAB move; non-Calm Mind variants also win easily, as their Judgment 2HKOes Arceus-Psychic. Yveltal is immune to Arceus-Psychic's Judgment, at worst 2HKOes with Dark Pulse, and isn't bothered by Will-O-Wisp, making it a solid counter.

**Ghost-types**: Marshadow and Mega Gengar are both capable of outspeeding and revenge killing Arceus-Psychic with their devastating STAB moves, although neither will OHKO and both get OHKOed in return, so Arceus-Psychic can deter these Pokemon by avoiding chip damage. Lunala, Arceus-Ghost, and Giratina-O check Arceus-Psychic by threatening it with super effective STAB moves and mostly fear taking Toxic in return. Giratina will easily Toxic stall Arceus-Psychic and can heal its own status with Rest.

**Gothitelle**: Gothitelle can switch into any of Arceus-Psychic's sets, PP stall it, and eliminate it with no risk, severely undermining its utility as a defensive Pokemon.

**Steel-types**: Necrozma-DM has little to fear from Arceus-Psychic except Will-O-Wisp, and while burning Necrozma-DM is a very effective punish option, both offensive and defensive sets still check Arceus-Psychic when burned. Celesteela, Magearna, Skarmory, and the rest of the tier's Steel-types resist Psychic moves and are immune to Toxic, allowing them to completely wall it with little risk and set up on or Toxic stall it.

Nixon73

Scuttlebug Jamboree
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]
* A Psychic typing allows Arceus-Psychic to resist attacks from Psychic-type attackers and Psychic Terrain teams, allowing it to switch into and wall the most dangerous attackers in those archetypes, most notably Ultra Necrozma. This provides Arceus-Psychic with its main niche as a solid but passive answer to these builds.
* Access to status options including Toxic to put passive Pokemon on a timer and Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers allows it Arceus-Psychic to punish most of its switch-ins.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* Judgment is a reliable Psychic-type STAB move that allows Arceus-Psychic to hit Poison- and Fighting-types super effectively, notably achieving OHKOs against Mega Gengar, Marshadow, Blaziken, and Naganadel (RC) as well as reliably 2HKOing Toxapex. It also does meaningful chip damage to switch-ins that do not resist it, most notably including Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
* Note that despite their powerful super effective STAB moves and higher Speed, neither Marshadow nor Mega Gengar are is capable of OHKOing Arceus-Psychic from full HP even after Stealth Rock, while Arceus-Psychic does OHKO with Judgment, so keeping Arceus-Psychic healthy so it canallows it to be used as a check against these in a pinch. At the same time, be careful to avoid being trapped by Mega Gengar if Arceus-Psychic falls into KO range of Hex or Shadow Ball.
* Try to avoid status, especially poison, as it will severely limit Arceus-Psychic's ability to sponge hits. Trading Toxic with other passive Pokemon may be worth it if the opponent lacks a way to remove it, especially given Arceus-Psychic's matchup-reliance, (AH) but avoid doing this if facing Arceus-Psychic's ideal matchup against Psychic Terrain teams.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

Implemented, thanks for the check!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)