move 2: Icicle Crash
move 3: Psychic Fangs
move 4: Freeze-Dry
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Jolly / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Arctovish is a rather poor choice in OU due to its pitiful Speed stat and shallow movepool, leaving it helpless against the likes of Ferrothorn. Its Ice typing also gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting into its bulk further. On top of that, it is completely outclassed by Dracovish and Galarian Darmanitan because both of them are faster and have a better movepool. Due to all these flaws, Arctovish is unviable in the tier. Fishious Rend is its primary STAB move, since it hits harder against Pokemon that are slower or switch into Arctovish, doubling in Base Power. Icicle Crash covers for most Dragon-types, while Psychic Fangs nails Toxapex. Freeze-Dry is to hit Seismitoad and Gastrodon for a good chunk of damage, and it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move available. Jolly is the preferred nature, as it outspeeds Mimikyu and everything below it under Sticky Web. A Naive nature can also be used if the extra bulk is not needed, as Freeze-Dry has a much better chance to OHKO Dracovish without using Life Orb and Seismitoad with Life Orb. Water Absorb is the preferred ability, since it gives Arctovish a free switch-in versus Water-type attackers such as the aforementioned Dracovish. If one wants to use Arctovish with Trick Room, then a Brave nature should be used along with 0 Speed IVs to outspeed faster threats, and the remaining EVs should be used in HP.

Arctovish best functions with Sticky Web support, so teammates that can set up Sticky Web such as Ribombee and Galvantula are appreciated. When using Arctovish outside of Sticky Web, it still requires heavy speed control, so teammates that can spread paralysis such as Rotom-H and Galvantula are appreciated. Arctovish struggles to break through Ferrothorn, so partners with Fire- and Fighting-type coverage, such as Rotom-H, Galarian Darmanitan, and Conkeldurr, pair well with Arctovish. Due to Arctovish's weakness to Stealth Rock, spinners such as Excadrill are appreciated. In the case of using Trick Room, Hatterene is recommended for combating Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce and setting up Trick Room for Arctovish.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Animesh_, 476240 ]]
- Quality checked by: [[GMars, 273636 ], [Gary, 101351]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:
I feel like Freeze-Dry should be mentioned as the primary 4th slot option for hitting Seismitoad and Gastrodon. I feel like it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move.

Last edited:
I feel like Freeze-Dry should be mentioned as the primary 4th slot option for hitting Seismitoad and Gastrodon. I feel like it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move.
Yeah.. thanks, I will include it. And I think changing the Choice Band to Life Orb would be better then?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I believe noting that Sticky Web and Paralysis support can be used with Arctovish is important. If paralyzed and Arctovish invests into Max Speed, it can outspeed and KO a 252+ Dragapult with Icicle Crash. It also outspeeds all Pokemon from 252+ Hydreigon downwards in OU if they are at -1 Speed, provided by Sticky Web. This isn't including potential item or stat buffs though, just raw speed.

I believe noting that Sticky Web and Paralysis support can be used with Arctovish is important. If paralyzed and Arctovish invests into Max Speed, it can outspeed and KO a 252+ Dragapult with Icicle Crash. It also outspeeds all Pokemon from 252+ Hydreigon downwards in OU if they are at -1 Speed, provided by Sticky Web. This isn't including potential item or stat buffs though, just raw speed.
I think I will change the set to sticky web then. And will mention about trick room I guess.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I think I will change the set to sticky web then. And will mention about trick room I guess.
Seems alright. Galvantula and Ribombee can both set Webs while spreading paralysis which should facilitate it.

EDIT:
I had some more thoughts and can't sleep, so I thought I'd contribute more.
  • Choice Band is another potential set for Arctovish, given it augments its offence. Especially useful for the Sticky Web core I proposed. LO is definitely an option though, so maybe make it a / thing? You would want to have a Freeze-Dry replacement as well to suit this.
  • Including Aurora Veil as an alternative option for Hail teams could be something worth noting. However, this is dipping into the super-niche territory so it may not be worth it.
  • Maybe Super Fang could be listed as an alternative choice? May be too slow to use it though.
  • You have removed Trick Room almost entirely from the analysis, which imo should still be mentioned a bit more.
I've also noticed a few errors, so I'll note them in here. I'm not on any team here though, so I recommend verifying with someone to ensure all this is correct and within policy.
"Arctovish is a rather poor choice in the Sword and Shield OU due to its pitiful Speed stat, shallow movepool and its Water / Ice typing, which makes is it weak to common offensive types, such as Fighting and Electric. The Ice Type also gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting into its bulk further. It is outclassed by Dracovish, which is faster and has better ability in Strong Jaw. Due to all these flaws, Arctovish is unviable in the tier and hence, it needs a lot of team support to function. Jolly is the preferred nature as it outspeeds Timid Hydreigon under Sticky Web without Choice Scarf, but Adamant can be used for the additional power. Fishious Rend is the primary STAB move, since it hits harder against Pokemon that are slower or switch into Arctovish, doubling in Base Power to a whopping 170. Icicle Crash covers most Dragon-types, while Psychic Fangs nails Toxapex and provides good neutral coverage with other moves. Freeze-Dry is used in the fourth slot to hit Seismitoad and Gastrodon for a good chunk of damage, it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move available. Water Absorb is the preferred ability, since it gives Arctovish a free switch-in versus Water-type attacks, such as the aforementioned Dracovish who takes 4x from Freeze-Dry. Brave nature should be used along with 0 Speed IVs to outspeed faster threats if Arctovish is used under Trick Room, and the remaining EVs should be used in HP.

Since Arctovish best functions with Sticky Web, teammates that can setup set up Sticky Web, such as Ribombee, Galvantula and Orbeetle are appreciated. Arctovish struggles to break through Ferrothorn, so partners with Fire and Fighting-type coverage, such as Galarian Darmanitan and Conkeldurr, pairs well with Arctovish. Defensive teammates, that covers Arctovish's weaknesses, such as Aegislash and Toxapex, are appreciated. In the case of using Trick Room, Hatterene is recommended for combatting Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce. "

EDIT 2: Fixed one of my bad fixes regarding referring to Dracovish, thanks to Rabia for pointing it out.

Last edited:
Seems alright. Galvantula and Ribombee can both set Webs while spreading paralysis which should facilitate it.

EDIT:
I had some more thoughts and can't sleep, so I thought I'd contribute more.
  • Choice Band is another potential set for Arctovish, given it augments its offence. Especially useful for the Sticky Web core I proposed. LO is definitely an option though, so maybe make it a / thing? You would want to have a Freeze-Dry replacement as well to suit this.
  • Including Aurora Veil as an alternative option for Hail teams could be something worth noting. However, this is dipping into the super-niche territory so it may not be worth it.
  • Maybe Super Fang could be listed as an alternative choice? May be too slow to use it though.
  • You have removed Trick Room almost entirely from the analysis, which imo should still be mentioned a bit more.
I've also noticed a few errors, so I'll note them in here. I'm not on any team here though, so I recommend verifying with someone to ensure all this is correct and within policy.
"Arctovish is a rather poor choice in the Sword and Shield OU due to its pitiful Speed stat, shallow movepool and its Water / Ice typing, which makes is it weak to common offensive types, such as Fighting and Electric. The Ice Type also gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting into its bulk further. It is outclassed by Dracovish, which who is faster and has better ability in Strong Jaw. Due to all these flaws, Arctovish is unviable in the tier and hence, it needs a lot of team support to function. Jolly is the preferred nature as it outspeeds Timid Hydreigon under Sticky Web without Choice Scarf, but Adamant can be used for the additional power. Fishious Rend is the primary STAB move, since it hits harder against Pokemon that are slower or switch into Arctovish, doubling in Base Power to a whopping 170. Icicle Crash covers most Dragon-types, while Psychic Fangs nails Toxapex and provides good neutral coverage with other moves. Freeze-Dry is used in the fourth slot to hit Seismitoad and Gastrodon for a good chunk of damage, it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move available. Water Absorb is the preferred ability, since it gives Arctovish a free switch-in versus Water-type attacks, such as the aforementioned Dracovish who takes 4x from Freeze-Dry. Brave nature should be used along with 0 Speed IVs to outspeed faster threats if Arctovish is used under Trick Room, and the remaining EVs should be used in HP.

Since Arctovish best functions with Sticky Web, teammates that can setup set up Sticky Web, such as Ribombee, Galvantula and Orbeetle are appreciated. Arctovish struggles to break through Ferrothorn, so partners with Fire and Fighting-type coverage, such as Galarian Darmanitan and Conkeldurr, pairs well with Arctovish. Defensive teammates, that covers Arctovish's weaknesses, such as Aegislash and Toxapex, are appreciated. In the case of using Trick Room, Hatterene is recommended for combatting Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce. "
o_o Why?..... Why are you still a member Chippy2001? Amazing work! Thank you very much for helping me dude :]
I will sure include these changes. Though Aurora Veil would be super niche and I don't think it deserves a mention. Same goes for Super Fang.
Once again, Thanks friend. :]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
o_o Why?..... Why are you still a member Chippy2001? Amazing work! Thank you very much for helping me dude :]
I will sure include these changes. Though Aurora Veil would be super niche and I don't think it deserves a mention. Same goes for Super Fang.
Once again, Thanks friend. :]
Just thought I'd help out to get it out there a bit sooner. Sometimes these things can be a bit slow.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
View attachment 209253
[SET]
name: Sticky Web attacker
move 1: Fishious Rend
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
nature: Jolly / Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
Arctovish is a rather poor choice in the Sword and Shield OU due to its pitiful Speed stat, shallow movepool and its Water / Ice typing, which makes it weak to common offensive types, such as Fighting and Electric. I wouldn't say that these are very common types tbh... I think you should mention how it's outclassed here instead The Ice Type also gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting into its bulk further. On top of that, it is completely outclassed by Dracovish, who is faster and has better ability in Strong Jaw. outdone by Galarian Darmanitan too Due to all these flaws, Arctovish is unviable in the tier and hence, it needs a lot of team support to function. this sentence is redundant given you already mention it sucks in the first sentence; you can remove it imo Jolly is the preferred nature as it outspeeds Mimikyu and everything below it under Sticky Web, but Adamant can be used for the additional power. Fishious Rend is the primary STAB move, since it hits harder against Pokemon that are slower or switch into Arctovish, doubling in Base Power to a whopping 170. Icicle Crash covers most Dragon-types, is noting Fishious Rend and Icicle Crash really necessary? for previews I feel that we should focus more on coverage moves while Psychic Fangs nails Toxapex and provides good neutral coverage with other moves. tbh the move really is just for Toxapex Freeze-Dry is used in the fourth slot to hit Seismitoad and Gastrodon for a good chunk of damage, it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move available. Water Absorb is the preferred ability since it gives Arctovish a free switch-in versus Water-type attacks, such as the aforementioned Dracovish. If one wants to use Arctovish in a Trick Room team, then Brave nature should be used along with 0 Speed IVs to outspeed faster threats, and the remaining EVs should be used in HP.

Since Arctovish best functions with Sticky Web, teammates that can set up Sticky Web, such as Ribombee, Galvantula and Orbeetle Galvantula and Orbeetle are both unviable; I'd keep the mention here to just Ribombee. you can also note how Ribombee's Stun Spore can help cripple non-grounded Pokemon like the Corviknight are appreciated. Arctovish struggles to break through Ferrothorn, so partners with Fire and Fighting-type coverage, such as Galarian Darmanitan and Conkeldurr, pair well with Arctovish. Defensive teammates that covers Arctovish's weaknesses, such as Aegislash and Toxapex, are appreciated. this sentence feels very barebones and doesn't really add anything imo In the case of using Trick Room, Hatterene is recommended for combatting Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce.

- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
here's some feedback you can ignore or implement

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Imo the best way to improve the "defensive teammates" sentence would be to explain why they're needed rather than remove it. They're definitely necessary, given the nature of the Ice Type's fragility and such. Excadrill and Corviknight are who I lean towards first. They can both remove hazards as well, which wear Arctovish down very quickly. This is just my opinion though, I feel it would be beneficial to debate potential options.

Thank you very much for helping :] I edited the post accordingly.
Though I didn't changed the defensive teammates section because it is written in the preview analysis post that it is necessary to describe teammates that covers its weaknesses.

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You did a good job on this and highlight Arctovish's negatives well. The main issue in in Team Options - you focus on how Arctovish wants Sticky Web support to be able to do anything, so you shouldn't include defensive teammates like Toxapex that don't fit on these offensive team structures. Remove Adamant as long as Darm is in the tier, slash Naive (-SpD instead of -Def to not hinder Arctovish's ability to switch into Dracovish) instead to allow Freeze-Dry to have a much better chance to OHKO Dracovish without using Life Orb as well as Seismitoad with Life Orb. If Darm ends up being banned before this preview comes out, then Adamant > Jolly and Naughty > Naive. Mention if using Arctovish outside of Sticky Web, it still requires heavy Speed control like Thunder Wave users (Rotom-H can check Ferro and spread para with discharge or twave while bringing in seismitoad for you to come in on).

qc 1/2

You did a good job on this and highlight Arctovish's negatives well. The main issue in in Team Options - you focus on how Arctovish wants Sticky Web support to be able to do anything, so you shouldn't include defensive teammates like Toxapex that don't fit on these offensive team structures. Remove Adamant as long as Darm is in the tier, slash Naive (-SpD instead of -Def to not hinder Arctovish's ability to switch into Dracovish) instead to allow Freeze-Dry to have a much better chance to OHKO Dracovish without using Life Orb as well as Seismitoad with Life Orb. If Darm ends up being banned before this preview comes out, then Adamant > Jolly and Naughty > Naive. Mention if using Arctovish outside of Sticky Web, it still requires heavy Speed control like Thunder Wave users (Rotom-H can check Ferro and spread para with discharge or twave while bringing in seismitoad for you to come in on).

qc 1/2
It's done! Thank you very much. Though you can check it again to make sure everything is fine.
Also, most credit goes to Plague von Karma and Rabia, and a bit to readytolose, as they really helped me to complete this analysis.
So, thank you very much friends :]

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hazard removal is probably worth mentioning just because if you are using LO and hazards are up Arcto is going to die extremely quickly. This thing is garbage and doesn't really have amazing synergy with any removers other than like Excadrill I guess, considering Fog on webs is pretty bad. Nothing else worth adding.

QC 2/2

Hazard removal is probably worth mentioning just because if you are using LO and hazards are up Arcto is going to die extremely quickly. This thing is garbage and doesn't really have amazing synergy with any removers other than like Excadrill I guess, considering Fog on webs is pretty bad. Nothing else worth adding.

QC 2/2
It's done! Thank you very much. You can check it to make sure everything is fine :]

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[SET]
name: Sticky Web attacker Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]
Arctovish is a rather poor choice in the OU tier due to its pitiful Speed stat and shallow movepool, leaving it helpless against the likes of Ferrothorn. Its Ice typing also gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting into its bulk further. On top of that, it is completely outclassed by Dracovish and Galarian Darmanitan (more of qc than gp but it wouldn't hurt to elaborate a little bit why). Due to all these flaws, Arctovish is unviable in the tier. Fishious Rend is the its primary STAB move, since it hits harder against Pokemon that are slower or switch into Arctovish, doubling in Base Power to a whopping 170. Icicle Crash covers for most Dragon-types, while Psychic Fangs nails Toxapex. Freeze-Dry is used in the fourth slot (not rly needed) to hit Seismitoad and Gastrodon for a good chunk of damage, and it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move available. Jolly is the preferred nature, as it outspeeds Mimikyu and everything below it under Sticky Web. A Naive nature can also be used if the extra bulk is not needed, as Freeze-Dry has a much better chance to OHKO Dracovish without using Life Orb, as well as and Seismitoad with Life Orb. Water Absorb is the preferred ability, since it gives Arctovish a free switch-in versus Water-type attackers, (RC) such as the aforementioned Dracovish. If one wants to use Arctovish in a with Trick Room team, then a Brave nature should be used along with 0 Speed IVs to outspeed faster threats, (AC) and the remaining EVs should be used in HP.

Arctovish best functions with Sticky Web support, so teammates that can set up Sticky Web, (RC) such as Ribombee and Galvantula are appreciated. If When using Arctovish outside of Sticky Web, it still requires heavy Speed speed control, so teammates that can spread paralysis, (RC) such as Rotom-H and Galvantula are appreciated. Arctovish struggles to break through Ferrothorn, so partners with Fire- (AH) and Fighting-type coverage, such as Rotom-H, Galarian Darmanitan, and Conkeldurr, pair well with Arctovish. Due to Arctovish's weakness to Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin users, (RC) spinners such as Excadrill are appreciated. In the case of using Trick Room, Hatterene is recommended for combatting combating Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce. It can also set and setting up Trick Room for Arctovish.

[CREDITS]
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

add remove (comments)
[SET]
name: Sticky Web attacker Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]
Arctovish is a rather poor choice in the OU tier due to its pitiful Speed stat and shallow movepool, leaving it helpless against the likes of Ferrothorn. Its Ice typing also gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, cutting into its bulk further. On top of that, it is completely outclassed by Dracovish and Galarian Darmanitan (more of qc than gp but it wouldn't hurt to elaborate a little bit why). Due to all these flaws, Arctovish is unviable in the tier. Fishious Rend is the its primary STAB move, since it hits harder against Pokemon that are slower or switch into Arctovish, doubling in Base Power to a whopping 170. Icicle Crash covers for most Dragon-types, while Psychic Fangs nails Toxapex. Freeze-Dry is used in the fourth slot (not rly needed) to hit Seismitoad and Gastrodon for a good chunk of damage, and it also hits Gyarados, Dracovish, Rotom-W, and Quagsire harder than any other move available. Jolly is the preferred nature, as it outspeeds Mimikyu and everything below it under Sticky Web. A Naive nature can also be used if the extra bulk is not needed, as Freeze-Dry has a much better chance to OHKO Dracovish without using Life Orb, as well as and Seismitoad with Life Orb. Water Absorb is the preferred ability, since it gives Arctovish a free switch-in versus Water-type attackers, (RC) such as the aforementioned Dracovish. If one wants to use Arctovish in a with Trick Room team, then a Brave nature should be used along with 0 Speed IVs to outspeed faster threats, (AC) and the remaining EVs should be used in HP.

Arctovish best functions with Sticky Web support, so teammates that can set up Sticky Web, (RC) such as Ribombee and Galvantula are appreciated. If When using Arctovish outside of Sticky Web, it still requires heavy Speed speed control, so teammates that can spread paralysis, (RC) such as Rotom-H and Galvantula are appreciated. Arctovish struggles to break through Ferrothorn, so partners with Fire- (AH) and Fighting-type coverage, such as Rotom-H, Galarian Darmanitan, and Conkeldurr, pair well with Arctovish. Due to Arctovish's weakness to Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin users, (RC) spinners such as Excadrill are appreciated. In the case of using Trick Room, Hatterene is recommended for combatting combating Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce. It can also set and setting up Trick Room for Arctovish.

[CREDITS]
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
View attachment 214580
Implemented! Thank you very much :] You can check the outclassed section to make sure everything is fine.
One more thing, I did not found your and Gary's user ID, so please tell me, so I can write that up if it is necessary.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Here you go:
On top of that, it is completely outclassed by Dracovish and Galarian Darmanitan because they both of them are faster and have a better movepool.
The user IDs are found at the end of the URL of the user’s profile page. I would give them to you in this post, but I’m currently doing this in bed and it’s kind of hard to get that on mobile. :psyduck:

Here you go:
The user IDs are found at the end of the URL of the user’s profile page. I would give them to you in this post, but I’m currently doing this in bed and it’s kind of hard to get that on mobile. :psyduck:
Thank you again. I will implement them and add the used IDs in a sec..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)