Armistice/ Veterans Day

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
It can be argued that all war is pointless. World War 1 stands out as an especially pointless war because it was caused by a "get them before they get us" mentality. The war was pointless because it was waged to save the honor of the state at the cost of its citizens. When we fear the other as the worst fear, and obey the authority of the state as the top authority we open ourselves to repeat the past. We are doomed to bravely fight in pointless wars of our own when we refuse to learn the mistakes of the past. On this 100 year anniversary of the end of fighting for the first half of the great war let us reflect on its causes, and the greed for revenge that lead to its resumption so we can avoid the mistakes of past and create a brighter future.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
people ask me all the time about how the world is gonna end and they ask me how it's gonna happen and I usually tell them to read octavia butler, but sometimes I tell them, look at WW1 and 2 (they were really just one war with an intermission for certain participants): the world's leaders decided the only solution to the political situation was to have all the men kill each other. That was before there was even climate change and god only knows now why it even happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I

the key parts to look at in this article are the exceptions to the traditional 'web of alliances' theory of the emergence of ww1 and the 'short war illusion'

"Moltke hoped that a European war, if it broke out, would be resolved swiftly, but he also conceded that it might drag on for years, wreaking immeasurable ruin. Asquith wrote of the approach of ‘Armageddon’ and French and Russian generals spoke of a ‘war of extermination’ and the ‘end of civilization’. Foreign Secretary Grey famously stated just hours before Britain declared war: "The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time”. "

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
people ask me all the time about how the world is gonna end and they ask me how it's gonna happen and I usually tell them to read octavia butler, but sometimes I tell them, look at WW1 and 2 (they were really just one war with an intermission for certain participants): the world's leaders decided the only solution to the political situation was to have all the men kill each other. That was before there was even climate change and god only knows now why it even happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I

the key parts to look at in this article are the exceptions to the traditional 'web of alliances' theory of the emergence of ww1 and the 'short war illusion'

"Moltke hoped that a European war, if it broke out, would be resolved swiftly, but he also conceded that it might drag on for years, wreaking immeasurable ruin. Asquith wrote of the approach of ‘Armageddon’ and French and Russian generals spoke of a ‘war of extermination’ and the ‘end of civilization’. Foreign Secretary Grey famously stated just hours before Britain declared war: "The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time”. "
The Germans thought the only way they could fight Russia was by knocking out France quickly. To do this they developed the shlefan plan. They felt they had no choice but to attack France because they saw the war as inevitable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)