SM OU Ash Greninja Bulky Offense (Peaked 1600+)

Introduction

Hey I decided to make another RMT, and to be honest I have had more success with this team. I decided to create my team around Ash-Greninja which is just a monster. Unfortunately I don't have proof of my peak because I assumed it recorded your highest peak, either way I would appreciate the help with my team.​

Team building Process

Old Team:

New Team:
  • I built my team around Ash Greninja as my main sweeper for the team as it is a great sweeper in the current meta-game.
  • I then decided to partner it with Heatran who is a great core with Ash-greninja because it struggles to beat bulky water types like Tapu fini, which Grassium Z heatran lures in and OHKO's. I have now swapped Heatran out to Tapu Koko it's a much faster pivot and the Z Wild Charge is able to pretty much OHKO a lot of walls that would swap into it.
  • I then decided to run Mega Venusaur because Heatran and Venusaur compliment each other and eat up each others weaknesses.
  • I then decided to go with defensive Lando-T because I needed a SR and ground immunity as well as running Tapu fini to round off the fire, water, grass core. Also it provides defog support. I have swapped out Tapu Fini for Celesteela, it is just a much bulkier Pokemon and that Leech Seed recovery is really nice for my team. Also checks my tapu Lele and M-Pinsir Weakness.
  • Finally I chose Scarf Garchomp because I needed something fast to revenge kill however I feel like it is quite underwhelming through testing and would love to find out better alternatives. I have changed Garchomp to Latios because I now need a defogger to remove Hazards and Latios finishes the Dragon, Steel, Fairy core.

The Team

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse
This is a standard Ash-Greninja set though I decided to go with Extrasensory over U-turn just to hit Toxapex and Mega Venusaur. Venusaur especially as I struggle to weaken it with this team. Specs Hydro destroys almost anything in the meta apart from bulky grass and water types, however that is what my Heatran is for.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Earth Power
Heatran is just so useful to this team in my opinion as it's capable of breaking so many walls. Especially when Landorus-T tend to switch into it and magma storm does a solid chunk of damage. Also if something comes in I can't deal with because it is trapped I can freely switch out and gain some momentum.​

Venusaur-Mega (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
I chose venusaur as my mega as it compliments with Greninja and Heatran so well. It's capable of switching into the likes of Keldeo and Greninja to an extent with ease. It's a fairly standard set and not much to really say about this tanky mon. I am now running Earthquake over Giga Drain because the amount of times I have predicted the Heatran switch and gotten off a lot of dmg is so useful.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP/ 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice
Landorus is my one ground immunity on the team which helps out Heatran a lot. Landorus is also my stealth rock user and physically defensive tank to cope with the likes of Excadrill and opposing Landorus. That is why I am using Hp Ice just to hit opposing Landorus rather than say Stone Edge. I am now running Protect on my Landorus and Leftovers just to improve my recovery. It is also a good way to scout for moves and stall out rain turns. But also lets me deal with CB Zygarde better.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect
I was running Tapu Fini but as people have pointed out and I myself have realised it is really underwhelming right now and for that reason I am now running Celesteela which is my main answer to M-Pinsir and Tapu Lele which have been massive threats to my team. The Leech Seed recovery for my team is great and overall just a very useful Pokemon.​

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick
I have replaced Garchomp with Latios as I now need a defogger and by running scarf I can trick and lock walls into a single move that would otherwise wall Latios and opening it up to use anything freely. The choice scarf lets me revenge kill threats to my team and another good answer to M-Venusaur.

Through testing this team i have found I am very weak to:

Tapu Lele - This pokemon is a big threat to my team, even though Celesteela is a pretty solid answer it does not appreciate a focus blast / HP Fire. Once my Celesteela is gone this thing sweeps.

Heatran - This Pokemon can be a problem depending on the set it runs, for example if it manages to lock my Latios in with Magma Storm I lose the 1 vs 1.
M-Zard Y - This thing is very much a problem for this team. My only switch in being Latios which takes about 50% from flamethrower in the sun. For this reason I am considering running Heatran over Tapu Koko, something I am still testing.

Volcarona - This thing is a big threat to my team, if it isn't in range of Greninja water shuriken it pretty much sweeps. It becomes a threat even if I am not running Heatran due to Hidden Power Ground being run.

Kyurem-Black is such a monster for this team to deal with, due to it's ability Teravolt it makes M-Venusaur's Thick Fat redundant and simply OHKO's it with Icium Z Freeze Shock anyways. My only real chance is to sack something or get the initiative to get in Latios somehow.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Heatran (M) @ Grassium Z
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Ability: Chlorophyll
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge​

Ability: Thick Fat
Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power

EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Defog

Conclusion

Thanks in advance for looking at my RMT please let me know if you see any changes that are needed and any more threats which could trouble this team. Special thanks to VictiniSwag , BPGXMG , and MFJr King for helping me improve the team.​

Last edited:
Super cool team! I just have one minor critic I notice at first glance...
Heatran should be subtoxic tran. This also traps bulky waters, but in addition can help stall matchup, can deal with Mantine (who walls a lot of your team, since Mantine+Scizor is gaining speed).
That is the main thing I can see without going too indepth.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Hope I helped. Good luck with the team!

Super cool team! I just have one minor critic I notice at first glance...
Heatran should be subtoxic tran. This also traps bulky waters, but in addition can help stall matchup, can deal with Mantine (who walls a lot of your team, since Mantine+Scizor is gaining speed).
That is the main thing I can see without going too indepth.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Hope I helped. Good luck with the team!
The main reason for Heatran is to act as a lure to bring in those water type like TaPu Fini and Toxapex in order to remove them from the game for Ash Greninja to Sweep. By running subtoxic I have nothing to touch Tapu Fini as it is immune to status under the effect of misty terrain. I understand subtoxic is much more effective at beating down the likes of Chansey but that is not it's main purpose. Sorry if that was unclear in my RMT, but thanks anyway. If i feel like stall is too much for this team i will try it out.

The main reason for Heatran is to act as a lure to bring in those water type like TaPu Fini and Toxapex in order to remove them from the game for Ash Greninja to Sweep. By running subtoxic I have nothing to touch Tapu Fini as it is immune to status under the effect of misty terrain. I understand subtoxic is much more effective at beating down the likes of Chansey but that is not it's main purpose. Sorry if that was unclear in my RMT, but thanks anyway. If i feel like stall is too much for this team i will try it out.
Oh yeah Misty Terrain >.< I don't play vs Tapu Fini very often so that is a something that always slips my mind. And also... 252 SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Toxapex run much more SpDef now due to the popularity of Charizard-Y. Maybe you could use Groundium-Z > Grassium, as Tapu Fini can be worn down over the course of a game (unlike Toxapex) and it isn't as common as Toxapex?

Oh yeah Misty Terrain >.< I don't play vs Tapu Fini very often so that is a something that always slips my mind. And also... 252 SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Toxapex run much more SpDef now due to the popularity of Charizard-Y. Maybe you could use Groundium-Z > Grassium, as Tapu Fini can be worn down over the course of a game (unlike Toxapex) and it isn't as common as Toxapex?
Yes Toxapex is more common but with Magma Storm plus two Earth Powers Toxapex dies and with taunt I can stop it from recovering. While it can only do a maximum of 37% unless he crits to my heatran and more than always they waste a turn trying to use recover. But it is definitely something I wanna test out. So far I haven't found Toxapex an Issue as I do always have a switch in to it. I will try Groundium Z and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also any suggestions on replacing Garchomp because I feel like this mon isn't doing any damage or I expect too much from it. Maybe I need to look at calcs more xD

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Looking at this, not only is SubToxic Tran a good idea, but I feel as though Mantine should go over Fini.
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze / Toxic
This mon takes care of Volcarona more consistently than Chomp, as well as Toxapex.
I'd also say Ferrothorn over Venusaur. It creates a Fire weakness, yes, but both Zard Y and Volcarona are hard walled by Mantine, Alowak is checked by Greninja, and 2 steels are really helpful to have in this meta.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip - This 2HKOes Fini, so it's a good answer.
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Leech Seed
Now, as for beating Lele:
- Specs Lele tends to run HP Fire. Focus Blast is not a guaranteed OHKO on Ferro - this can be exploited with Gyro Ball. If it has HP Fire, Heatran hard walls.
- Scarf Lele's HP Fire can't even OHKO Ferro, and it doesn't tend to run Focus Blast - which can't even OHKO Heatran. It also can be answered by Mantine, which is only 3HKOed by Psychic.
You'll need to scout Lele to beat it - hence why Protect is so useful on Ferro, but if you can do so you'll generally be somewhat safe. It's a tough call, and Lele is still this team's biggest weakness, but now it should be somewhat better vs it.
tl;dr
SubToxic Heatran over Grass-Z
Mantine over Fini
Ferrothorn over Venusaur

Here's an importable:
Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze / Toxic

Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Earthquake

EVs: 252 HP/ 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- HP Ice

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-Turn
- Dark Pulse

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Looking at this, not only is SubToxic Tran a good idea, but I feel as though Mantine should go over Fini.
Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze / Toxic
This mon takes care of Volcarona more consistently than Chomp, as well as Toxapex.
I'd also say Ferrothorn over Venusaur. It creates a Fire weakness, yes, but both Zard Y and Volcarona are hard walled by Mantine, Alowak is checked by Greninja, and 2 steels are really helpful to have in this meta.
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip - This 2HKOes Fini, so it's a good answer.
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Leech Seed
Now, as for beating Lele:
- Specs Lele tends to run HP Fire. Focus Blast is not a guaranteed OHKO on Ferro - this can be exploited with Gyro Ball. If it has HP Fire, Heatran hard walls.
- Scarf Lele's HP Fire can't even OHKO Ferro, and it doesn't tend to run Focus Blast - which can't even OHKO Heatran. It also can be answered by Mantine, which is only 3HKOed by Psychic.
You'll need to scout Lele to beat it - hence why Protect is so useful on Ferro, but if you can do so you'll generally be somewhat safe. It's a tough call, and Lele is still this team's biggest weakness, but now it should be somewhat better vs it.
tl;dr
SubToxic Heatran over Grass-Z
Mantine over Fini
Ferrothorn over Venusaur

Here's an importable:
Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze / Toxic

Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Earthquake

EVs: 252 HP/ 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- HP Ice

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-Turn
- Dark Pulse

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
Mantine over Fini sounds interesting and I will definitely try it, plus it does also beat rain teams much better. I guess it does wall Volcarona well but scarf chomp does outspeed Volcarona at +1 and should OHKO with Stone Edge. Looks like i will have to test subtoxic Heatran as two people have recommended it. I mainly went for Grassium Z as it was just a good core for removing water types.

Also I don't know about swapping Venusaur out for ferrothorn. Yes it is a Tapu lele answer to a degree but it has no offensive pressure to the likes of Tangrowth Celesteela or Scizor which through testing Venusaur does pressure out or deal a ton of dmg to. I will test it out and see if this last change is required but the Mantine and SubToxic Heatran could be good replacements.

Thanks to both of ya.

I feel Scarf Garchomp is very important for your team. Without it Pinsir 6-0s straight up.
Yep I have just realised that through testing and it's my only volcarona answer xD. Maybe I just over estimate it too much so I will start calcing before I make a move. Thanks again for suggestions

Hey Twilight, you got an interesting team there! However, it does have problems against threats such as Tapu Lele and CB Zygarde which can hit your entire team really hard and weaken their switches by attacking repeatedly and you can't really do anything to that. Greninja is another big threat to your team; particularly the Protean one as it can hit your entire team with its coverage moves. Ash-Greninja can be a problem as well as it can weaken Fini with its attacks as it doesn't have valuable recovery, and can do the same thing to Venusaur but also setting up Spikes on the switch, pressuring switches even more. Another problem with your team is your lack of a valuable Flying resist meaning that you have a poor matchup against the popular Bird Spam. Your team generally can't handle massive Offensive pressure, as your team is extremely pressured by Hazards (as Fini can't Defog on many threats and can be easily overwhelmed) and by common Wallbreakers; and it also struggles at breaking common defensive pokemons / cores such as Celesteela, M-Venusaur, Clefable, Toxapex and Chansey; making your matchup against Balanced builds as well as Stall really shaky.

To cover those issues here are some changes:
  • ->
    With Tapu Fini becoming less of a threat and other mons like Toxapex taking its place, Bloom Doom Heatran extremely dropped and doesn't fit very well on this team. Instead, I'd propose you to use Z-Wild Charge Tapu Koko which lures in threats like Chansey, Magearna and Heatran, all three being threats to your team and it also gives you a good Flying check for the likes of M-Pinsir. Its ability to grab momentum is also extremely appreciated as it allows to your Ash-Greninja to function more effectively. I'd propose you to run Roost rather than Taunt on it since you the recovery provided by Roost, helping you to take on threats like M-Pinsir is, in my opinion, more useful than Taunt. The Naive Nature is peferred here to take less damages from M-Pinsir's hits.
  • ->
    Scarf Latios over Scarf Garchomp does give you more defensive utility; most notably a more reliable switch-in to M-Charizard Y and another Ground immunity but also a better check to M-Venusaur which you could only hardly break otherwise as well as another Defogger, more offensive, able to remove hazards more offensively thanks to its good offensive pressure, but also its decent defensive utility. It will allow to replace Tapu Fini by a pokemon that is more useful to your team.
  • ->
    As I said above, Tapu Fini isn't a really solid defogger right now and doesn't offer you much defensive utility, and the fact that you already have Latios as a defogger makes it even less necessary. Instead, I'd propose you to use Celesteela which gives you a really solid Flying and Fairy resist for the likes of M-Pinsir and Tapu Lele, as well as a third Ground immunity, which is extremely useful for your team. The combination of Leech Seed and Protect is extremely useful as it helps it to stay healthy, but can also benefit to its teammates. I'd propose you to run a 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD spread with a Relaxed Nature which helps it to take on Choice Specs Tapu Lele while still having a decent physical bulk.
  • Landorus-T is very useful to your team but to make it work even more efficiently, I would slightly change its set and change its item to
    Leftovers and replace U-Turn by Protect, as it helps it to take on physical attackers like CB Zygarde more efficiently thanks to leftovers' recovery. The dual protect core formed with Celesteela is extremely useful to PP Stall some opposing mons but also makes best use of Leech Seed as they can both get free turns of recovery. I'd also slightly change your spread to 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe with an Impish Nature as it allows it to outspeed and 16 Speed Landorus-T by 1 point and Max Speed Tyranitar and Celesteela (with a neutral nature) by 2 points.
  • M-Venusaur generally doesn't need the Grass STAB as you will only rarely click it since Grass weak mons will never stay in anyway and you don't really struggle against things like Garchomp and Landorus-T, and it will generally only click Synthesis to heal up. This is why I would suggest you to run
    Earthquake over it as it helps you to hit super effectively Heatran and Magearna which would be extremely hard to break otherwise.
  • Your Ash-Greninja set is pretty good but you could consider running
    either Spikes or Extrasensory over U-Turn; Extrasensory helping you to hit M-Venusaur and Toxapex upon the switch, and Spikes helping you to punish your opponent's switch, and allowing you to generally put even more pressure with all your pokemons but once again, U-Turn is still a pretty decent option.
Summary :

• ->
    ;
    (Z-Wild Charge)
  • ->
    ;
  • ->
    ;
  • :
    ->
    ; U-Turn -> Protect; a bit faster spread
  • : Giga Drain -> Earthquake
  • : U-Turn -> Extrasensory / Spikes (optional)

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory / Spikes / U-Turn
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost / Taunt
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

That's all for the rate. I hope I helped. Thanks for reading and good luck!!

Last edited:
Hey Twilight, you got an interesting team there! However, it does have problems against threats such as Tapu Lele and CB Zygarde which can hit your entire team really hard and weaken their switches by attacking repeatedly and you can't really do anything to that. Greninja is another big threat to your team; particularly the Protean one as it can hit your entire team with its coverage moves. Ash-Greninja can be a problem as well as it can weaken Fini with its attacks as it doesn't have valuable recovery, and can do the same thing to Venusaur but also setting up Spikes on the switch, pressuring switches even more. Another problem with your team is your lack of a valuable Flying resist meaning that you have a poor matchup against the popular Bird Spam. Your team generally can't handle massive Offensive pressure, as your team is extremely pressured by Hazards (as Fini can't Defog on many threats and can be easily overwhelmed) and by common Wallbreakers; and it also struggles at breaking common defensive pokemons / cores such as Celesteela, M-Venusaur, Clefable, Toxapex and Chansey; making your matchup against Balanced builds as well as Stall really shaky.

• ->
    With Tapu Fini becoming less of a threat and other mons like Toxapex taking its place, Bloom Doom Heatran extremely dropped and doesn't fit very well on this team. Instead, I'd propose you to use Z-Wild Charge Tapu Koko which lures in threats like Chansey, Magearna and Heatran, all three being threats to your team and it also gives you a good Flying check for the likes of M-Pinsir. Its ability to grab momentum is also extremely appreciated as it allows to your Ash-Greninja to function more effectively. I'd propose you to run Roost rather than Taunt on it since you the recovery provided by Roost, helping you to take on threats like M-Pinsir is, in my opinion, more useful than Taunt. The Naive Nature is peferred here to take less damages from M-Pinsir's hits.
  • ->
    Scarf Latios over Scarf Garchomp does give you more defensive utility; most notably a more reliable switch-in to M-Charizard Y and another Ground immunity but also a better check to M-Venusaur which you coukd only hardly break otherwise as well as another Defogger, more offensive, able to remove hazards more offensively thanks to its good offensive pressure, but also its decent defensive utility. It will allow to replace Tapu Fini by a pokemon that is more useful to your team.
  • ->
    As I said above, Tapu Fini isn't a really solid defogger right now and doesn't offer you much defensive utility, and the fact that you already have Latios as a defogger makes it even less necessary. Instead, I'd propose you to use Celesteela which gives you a really solid Flying and Fairy resist for the likes of M-Pinsir and Tapu Lele, as well as a third Ground immunity, which is extremely useful for your team. The combination of Leech Seed and Protect is extremely useful as it helps it to stay healthy, but can also benefit to its teammates. I'd propose you to run a 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD spread with a Relaxed Nature which helps it to take on Choice Specs Tapu Lele while still having a decent physical bulk.
  • Landorus-T is very useful to your team but to make it work even more efficiently, I would slightly change its set and change its item to
    Leftovers and replace U-Turn by Protect, as it helps it to take on physical attackers like CB Zygarde more efficiently thanks to leftovers' recovery. The dual protect core formed with Celesteela is extremely useful to PP Stall some opposing mons but also makes best use of Leech Seed as they can both get free turns of recovery. I'd also slightly change your spread to 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe with an Impish Nature as it allows it to outspeed 104 Speed M-Venusaur (Offensive) by 1 point and Max Speed Tyranitar and Celesteela (with a neutral nature) by 2 points, as well as tying with 56 Speed Rotom-Wash.
  • M-Venusaur generally doesn't need the Grass STAB as you will only rarely click it since Grass weak mons will never stay in anyway and you don't really struggle against things like Garchomp and Landorus-T, and it will generally only click Synthesis to heal up. This is why I would suggest you to run
    Earthquake over it as it helps you to hit super effectively Heatran and Magearna which would be extremely hard to break otherwise.
    either Spikes or Extrasensory over U-Turn; Extrasensory helping you to hit M-Venusaur and Toxapex upon the switch, and Spikes helping you to punish your opponent's switch, and allowing you to generally put even more pressure with all your pokemons but once again, U-Turn is still a pretty decent option.
Summary :

• ->
    ;
    (Z-Wild Charge)
  • ->
    ;
  • ->
    ;
  • :
    ->

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost / Taunt
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

These changes are subpar in my opinion. I definitely agree with the little things such as leftovers Landorus-T, but Scarf Latios is not a reliable Charizard-Y switch-in. You switch in once, take like 48%, they switch, now youre at 50% and you can't recover. And if rocks are up, you're only switching in once. Dual Stab Defog n Roost Soul Dew Lati is a switchin, however.
Celesteela > Heatran could work, but if then you don't have defog
Don't even consider Extrasensory, it isn't very good with Groundium/Grassium Heatran (I suggested Groundium-Z earlier), but Spikes could be good indeed.
A stallbreaker could be good, but you replaced the wrong thing. Heatran is needed as a Zard-Y switchin and for the Pex killing ability.
I hope that these explanations made sense! n_n

• ->
  • ->
    Scarf Latios over Scarf Garchomp does give you more defensive utility; most notably a more reliable switch-in to M-Charizard Y and another Ground immunity but also a better check to M-Venusaur which you coukd only hardly break otherwise as well as another Defogger, more offensive, able to remove hazards more offensively thanks to its good offensive pressure, but also its decent defensive utility. It will allow to replace Tapu Fini by a pokemon that is more useful to your team.
  • ->
    Leftovers and replace U-Turn by Protect, as it helps it to take on physical attackers like CB Zygarde more efficiently thanks to leftovers' recovery. The dual protect core formed with Celesteela is extremely useful to PP Stall some opposing mons but also makes best use of Leech Seed as they can both get free turns of recovery. I'd also slightly change your spread to 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe with an Impish Nature as it allows it to outspeed 104 Speed M-Venusaur (Offensive) by 1 point and Max Speed Tyranitar and Celesteela (with a neutral nature) by 2 points, as well as tying with 56 Speed Rotom-Wash.
Summary :

• ->
    ;
    (Z-Wild Charge)
  • ->
    ;
  • ->
    ;
  • :
    ->

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost / Taunt
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Hey MFJr King, thanks for the suggestions bro. I have been testing it out and it works superbly. I totally agree about Tapu Fini through testing I found most of the time I ended up sacking her so she was extremely underwhelming. I do like the replacement to Celesteela as it is a great Tapu Lele answer. Sure it takes a lot from hidden power fire and focus blast but from the extra recovery from protect it is able to OHKO it with Heavy Slam. It also shuts down pinsir which is amazing, as people have picked up on as a weakness.

I agree with the Latios switch as it is still a good revenge killer and can provide hazard removal. It can also be a guaranteed defog if I so need to sack the mon in the mid / late game to keep my Pokemon healthy. However I was wondering if surf is still a good option on Latios because it would help more vs Heatran? If it traps me I can't really do anything to it. Plz get back to me if you think Surf is worth running in this meta :) .

With Landorus I was a bit confused about why to run protect on it as I do lose a lot of momentum with dropping U-Turn. But as I tested it that extra leftovers recovery is great. I found it is also great at wasting rain turns, which Celesteela is also good at doing and I have always struggled to win vs rain so this is massive for me. So far I haven't seen the extra speed kick in yet mainly because I haven't faced the threats you mentioned in your RMT but I think it lets you outspeed opposing Defensive Lando-T as they run 16 speed Evs if I am not mistaken? Do correct me on this if I am wrong.

Next Venusaur, I quite like the idea of EQ because through testing most of the time I don't use it unless I want to OHKO Ash-Greninja or get more damage off on Toxapex, Landorus and Zygarde. With Magearna and Heatran being very popular Pokemon in this generation I can see EQ being very useful and as you have said I have plenty of switch ins to the threats I just mentioned, other than Ash greninja which I would need to play around and scout the moveset. If you have anymore suggestions to help vs Greninja that would be greatly appreciated, though I can always scout with protect.

I am currently still testing Ash Greninja and running Extrasensory or Spikes. I like the fact that extrasensory can deal with Toxapex and spikes allows you to gain more pressure and turn 3OHKO's maybe to 2OHKO's. So it's something I need to test more I will send out a reply and update my team if I feel like something is more useful over U-turn momentum.

Finally Tapu Koko over Heatran. I didn't update my team but I definitely prefer running the SubToxic set except running Taunt over Sub just to block recovery. Through testing they both do very similar jobs. heatran has a much slower way in burning out threats like Mew or Chansey which are massive stall tanks. Koko on the other hand straight up nukes them. As of right now I am leaning towards this Koko as it is another way to deal with Mega Pinsir and in general it's a really fast Pokemon and provides momentum. I am very unfamiliar with how to really use this set and was wondering if it should pretty much always be used as a lead or no? Because I see a lot of people lead Koko every time I see it. I you could let me know that would be great.

Overall I do love these changes I feel i am a little more prone to Heatran and Volcarona correct me if I am wrong. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer my qns but other than that thank you for the suggestions. Hopefully this will let me climb even higher. :)

These changes are subpar in my opinion. I definitely agree with the little things such as leftovers Landorus-T, but Scarf Latios is not a reliable Charizard-Y switch-in. You switch in once, take like 48%, they switch, now youre at 50% and you can't recover. And if rocks are up, you're only switching in once. Dual Stab Defog n Roost Soul Dew Lati is a switchin, however.
Celesteela > Heatran could work, but if then you don't have defog
Don't even consider Extrasensory, it isn't very good with Groundium/Grassium Heatran (I suggested Groundium-Z earlier), but Spikes could be good indeed.
A stallbreaker could be good, but you replaced the wrong thing. Heatran is needed as a Zard-Y switchin and for the Pex killing ability.
I hope that these explanations made sense! n_n
I was considering running that latios set, depending on if I need it as a revenge killer due to the fact that I do also have Ash-Greninja which is a good revenge killer too. It's something I will need to test.

I did decided to swap out heatran sets to the sub toxic like you said, and yeah I have asked about my weakness to Heatran, Volcarona if i remove it from my team and I guess Zard Y if I run Scarf Latios but I need to test that

edit: I don't know about Heatran being a counter to Zard y as running calcs if it has Focus Blast I am gonna lose 70 - 90 % something HP. Ofc if it is running HP Ice it is a hard counter

Last edited:
is HP Fire necessary on Venusaur? if you ran Giga Drain you could do anything back vs Keldeo and Leech Seed can improve your general survivability as well as making pivoting easier.

is HP Fire necessary on Venusaur? if you ran Giga Drain you could do anything back vs Keldeo and Leech Seed can improve your general survivability as well as making pivoting easier.
It's not necessary as you can run alternatives. But Hidden power fire let's you hit Ferrothorn and Scizor which would wall it entirely otherwise. I normally switch in venusaur as my main Ferrothorn answer as it can't get a leech seed off or hurt me back.

And Mega Venusaur outspeeds both assuming its the defensive scizor utility varient. I personally have had no reason to need giga drain as a keldeo isn't going to appreciate taking sludge bomb stab to the face anyways, especially when it can't hit back.

I thought about leech seed and it is something I would have to test but I have found synthesis is more than enough recovery, but it does limit its recovery due to the 8PP.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if leech seed is useful but I don't feel giga drain is all that important as I have Landorus answers for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)