Asians in the Ribrary - A rant gone virar.

Source

Since nobody posted this, thought I'd post it here. Anyway, this pretty much is the epitome of why UCLA had given itself a really bad name, simply because of a UCLA student's rant over Asians. I mean, seriously...could it get any worse than this? Because of this rant, this caught the attention of not only the Asians attending the campus (hence the video responses), but it also caught the attention of the chancellor.

I mean, I don't attend UCLA, but to rant on racial prejudice and inciting defamation to a well-known school? Yeah, as many would mention, she deserves to be bitch-slapped. I will admit - she has the right to say whatever she wants, as do all of us here, whether it's here, UCLA, or any other place, but ranting something like this on the internet is grounds for trouble. Seriously, think twice if you're gonna come up with something like this. Racists usually keep their rants to themselves when it comes to publicity, but that's just my perspective.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

This is kinda funny because a common joke in lots of Asian circles is the helicopter parent syndrome. I can also understand her frustration -- it must be really annoying when people are constantly on their phones in the library while you're trying to study (isn't it finals week over there? UC is on the quarter system right?). But that doesn't really make posting something like this on the internet a good idea. When was the last time you heard of a video insulting a group of people for a positive reason? The closest example I can think of is the flight attendant who made his grand exit off the emergency exit chute, but the differences between the two situations are pretty stark.

So okay, not the best decision she's ever made... but personally I am willing to chalk it up to a case of extremely bad judgment and high stress levels. I'm sure all of us have gotten really frustrated at someone being loud or obnoxious in the library while we're trying to get important work done. She just freaked out a bit... more... than the rest of us, and I imagine the extra "racist" statements are just a way for her to let out that frustration. Nothing to go on a witch-hunt over. She made a bad decision, and the horrible publicity this is giving her (and her career since apparently she is a model) is punishment enough.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The funny thing is, whatever she said that was "racist or stereotyping," like all kinds of prejudice, does have some basis in truth. My roomate is asian (Hmong), and it's really true that his parents would come over every weekend, do stuff with him, take him home, do his laundry, whatever. Did it bother me? No. But is it true? Yes. Can it be generalized? Maybe, just like any stereotype is.

Also I would like to point out, in general, all asians talk really loud. There's somebody on my floor who's white, but moved to Hong Kong in middle school because his dad was a business man, and he said he couldn't believe when he got back how quiet everything in the US is compared to Hong Kong. Traffic, the way people talk, etc. The really funny thing is, most asians don't talk too loud when speaking English, it's usually in their native tongue (whether they're excited, etc.) that they speak loudly.

Call me a racist, but this is just from my own observations and experiences. Do I hate asian people? Absolutely not. Do I generalize them sometimes? Absolutely, just like how everybody generalizes everybody (goths, gays, jocks, geeks).

EDIT: Does it warrant her rant? Probably not. Is she allowed to? Absolutely.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really don't see the point in it at all honestly. I always laugh when shit like this receives a bunch of attention.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is the sort of thing that would be funny in conversation but completely inappropriate to broadcast on youtube as she apparently did.

Just because it's racist doesn't mean that it's hateful or destructive, like this video. Some people might get offended but ultimately no harm was caused. It was in poor taste, and surprise! the PC police doesn't think it's funny. But the video wasn't for them, so who cares. She should be (rightly) mocked but I'm going to be really disappointed if any actual punishment comes out of this.

She's stupid, incredibly ignorant and has no idea about the devastation that the "tsunami thing" has brought to Japan and other areas.

She's insulting people who may have lost family and friends in a disaster. What if her parents (who obviously don't cook for her, thus she is jealous) or friends were caught in a deadly earthquake then a tsunami?

However she did write a short apology:
"Clearly the original video posted by me was inappropriate. I cannot explain what possessed me to approach the subject as I did, and if I could undo it, I would. I'd like to offer my apology to the entire UCLA campus. For those who cannot find it within them to accept my apology, I understand."

Anyway, she could have used other ways to stop people from talking on the phone in the library, such as telling them to stop...

I am Asian, and I am SOOOOOOOOOO offended =P

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overreaction much, obviously there are those who are more personally affected it. However, she doesn't say anything particularly derogatory towards Asians, given, it is a little soon to be disregarding the tsunami as 'tsunami thing' or whatever she called it, but in no way does it solicit an angry internet mob. Not even a hatecrime, barely even racism, stereotyping more like, which we're all guilty of.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Surprised there isn't a comment about her boobs yet.

But yea this is the kind of shit that you joke about with your friends not post an angry rant on the internet. It'll go away in a few weeks.

Why are they on their phones in the ribrary? For going to UCLA everyone involved in this stoly is dumb as fuck.

Also, I hate the people who start Facebook clusades over vids rike this more than I hate the people who make vids rike this. Most of you won't have the guts to lepost this as your status. Rike if you know I'm light.

Edit: are her boobs nice? I didn't watch the vid, they rooked fake and rame in the screencap.

I have a few problems with this bitch.
0. I will be making generalizations in the next couple of sentences so please bear with me I do not have any problems with any smogoners so don't take it personally - I'm just talking about the bitch.
1. We don't talk on cell phones in the library??? WTF! All of the ditzy white bimbos in my school do that - I've never seen a fellow Asian talk on the phone. I've seen plenty of honkies, but not asian. Ever.
2. Asians do not talk like "Ching chong ting tong".
3. Shouldn't she be having sex and NOT studying? She looks and sounds like a slut.
4. MANNERS? SHE'S THE ONE WITHOUT MANNERS.
5. she thinks that asian = japan. What is this, Harold and Kumar 3?
6. I bet she's from the south - obvious White Supremacist complexion.
7. She obviously cares more about herself than others. Japan was hit by a terrible earthquake and tsunami and she has NO compassion for others.
8. This explains why other countries make fun of America. Bimbos like her definitely make us look bad.
*epc facetable*

Sincerely, comatthew6 (offended Asian-American).

Have a nice day.

I didn't really feel that offended by the video (except maybe the ching chong part, but...).

I think it's understandable that she would be annoyed by people talking on their phones in the library, and if she notices (or thinks) that the culprits are mostly Asians, then she is free to think that way.

I'm surprised that there's this huge storm about the video. None of what she said was condescending Asians, only complaining about their actions. None of her remarks were actually racist; she was only forming stereotypes based on things she observed.

However, maybe posting this rant on the internet wasn't the brightest of ideas. After all, Asian Americans are also on the internet, and there ARE people out there who get offended by this type of thing. At least she took the video down, but it was definitely a little too late.

Also, her imitation of the way Asians go "Ohhhh!!" was pretty lol

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely gained some troll cred in my book, troll or not. The start of this week was really good troll wise, with the Christian Poe getting forced to come clean after something extremely offensive.

Free speech what you gonna do?

1. We don't talk on cell phones in the library??? WTF! All of the ditzy white bimbos in my school do that - I've never seen a fellow Asian talk on the phone. I've seen plenty of honkies, but not asian. Ever.

3. Shouldn't she be having sex and NOT studying? She looks and sounds like a slut.

6. I bet she's from the south - obvious White Supremacist complexion.
You get mad at her for being racist yet make a racial comment of your own, sexist comment and blast the South in the same post? Isn't that a little hypocritical?

Obviously I don't agree with what she says, but freedom of speech is freedom to say whatever the fuck you want. The fact that she's getting death threats and was almost kicked out of school is ridiculous.

As others have said, stress and anger played a large role in the creation of the video. She doubtfully actually feels this way, though everyone is guilty of a little stereotyping now and then. The timing with the earthquake in Japan was a little unfortunate, but considering it was the day afterward and she was busy studying it's likely she didn't even know what happened when she made the video, and thus didn't know why "the asians" were talking on their cell phones.

Source

Since nobody posted this, thought I'd post it here. Anyway, this pretty much is the epitome of why UCLA had given itself a really bad name, simply because of a UCLA student's rant over Asians. I mean, seriously...could it get any worse than this? Because of this rant, this caught the attention of not only the Asians attending the campus (hence the video responses), but it also caught the attention of the chancellor.

I mean, I don't attend UCLA, but to rant on racial prejudice and inciting defamation to a well-known school? Yeah, as many would mention, she deserves to be bitch-slapped. I will admit - she has the right to say whatever she wants, as do all of us here, whether it's here, UCLA, or any other place, but ranting something like this on the internet is grounds for trouble. Seriously, think twice if you're gonna come up with something like this. Racists usually keep their rants to themselves when it comes to publicity, but that's just my perspective.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?
This made me laugh for one reason. It is so stupid that this is getting attention that I have to laugh. Honestly, WHO CARES if some dumb girl said asians' families are close and they talk loudly on phones. These aren't secrets, you know. That's like an asian guy saying white people aren't good at basketball and eat lots of hamburgers. That's just a silly stereotype that is kinda true. She's not saying all asians must die or all asians have no lives and only do math problems every second of every day. I've heard worse. Honestly, this is just stupid.

This made me laugh for one reason. It is so stupid that this is getting attention that I have to laugh. Honestly, WHO CARES if some dumb girl said asians' families are close and they talk loudly on phones. These aren't secrets, you know. That's like an asian guy saying white people aren't good at basketball and eat lots of hamburgers. That's just a silly stereotype that is kinda true. She's not saying all asians must die or all asians have no lives and only do math problems every second of every day. I've heard worse. Honestly, this is just stupid.
I agree fully; such stereotypes are well-known and almost all of them are complete bullshit. Mandarin doesn't sound like Ching CHONG blah blah; it's actually such a bad stereotype that I find it rather funny (I'm half Chinese). Also, here in Singapore, there are admittedly Asians who speak on their phones in libraries, but this applies to all people. It IS true that a lot of Asian parents are very 'kiasu' (overly competitive and afraid to lose), and I dislike this trait...

She obviously hasn't been around asians in the library long enough, how you mix up "yoboseyo" with "ching chong ling long" is a testament to her inexperience.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I'm enjoying how all the white people are defending her because the stereotypes are just that, stereotypes, which are inherently defined as partially true, and how all the Asians are over-reacting for her complete and utter stupidity. This video needs neither defending nor attacking, all that needs to be recognized is that she's dumber than a rock.

The more important thing to notice about the video are either her sweater puppies that are begging to be released, or the fact that it's strange she was even accepted to UCLA let alone in it's Library.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sad part is, with boobs her size, she'd be a "plus size" model, when she's probably like a size 4...sick.

Sorry, was I off topic there? Forgive me, I just didn't want to continue giving this unimportant event any more attention (which is clearly its purpose).

Also I "ROR"'d at Wikey's post. Reminded me of Team America: World Police.

She does have a point though. No one should be on their phone in the library. If that happened here, during finals week, someone would be seriously hurt.

And yeah, like j7r said, definitely conversational material, not youtube broadcast material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)