Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Even though the Pre-Evo process takes place when nothing is going on, will the CAP sub-site ever make the Art Gallery include Pre-Evos? I'm referring only to the community-made Pre-Evos, and not the personally-made ones.

I wasn't sure if the question was simple enough for this thread, but I couldn't find a place for it...
I believe that will be left very much in Dougs hands. You can always look back through the Prevo Artwork threads and see the artwork submitted for those designs. Gen 4 CaPs will obviously have a lot less variety in terms of the looks of the designs compared to the array of designs in the Gen 5 Prevos.

I could probably throw together a Thread compiling all of the artwork submitted for the Prevo CaPs as long as there are no dead art links (which there likely will be after this length of time).

epicparker

Banned deucer.
With CAP 18 and future CAPs, will there be sprites like previous CAPs or will people have to submit harder to work with, yet much cooler, 3D models like those introdced in Gen VI?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
With CAP 18 and future CAPs, will there be sprites like previous CAPs or will people have to submit harder to work with, yet much cooler, 3D models like those introdced in Gen VI?
I believe they will stick with sprites for the time being. There were discussions about Models (and I believe there were some artworks submitted as 3D models for CaP Proper) but I think the outcome was that Modelling was too advanced/complex for the majority of people for it to be feasible (bearing in mind there are 2/3 year courses at Universities for Modelling programs and the like).

paintseagull Would be the one to ask for more information :)

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We're still doing sprites. I haven't closed the door on models by any means but it doesn't seem at all feasible. Even if modeling the current CAP in the timeframe between the art poll and the playtest were do-able, in order for the CAP meta on PS to be played without sprites we'd need to go back and 3D model all of our old ones.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
A couple of questions...

What's CAP's stance on Mega evolutions? Is there a chance future CAPs will be designed with a mega evolution in mind? Will existing CAPs ever get one?

Can we have a viability thread for the CAP metagame?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
A couple of questions...

What's CAP's stance on Mega evolutions? Is there a chance future CAPs will be designed with a mega evolution in mind? Will existing CAPs ever get one?

Can we have a viability thread for the CAP metagame?
Please read this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mega-evolution.3495506/ There is a firm decision to not create Mega's for involvement in CaP.

I believe if you ask Jas/Korski they may be able approve a thread like that.

OK so my question is: When you have all the sprites, movepools, stats and stuff chosen; how do you make all thats stuff into and actual playable pokemon?

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Are Sacred Sword and Sacred Fire still banned? They are not legendary exclusives anymore (Sacred Fire still kinda is, but you get the point)

Probably the wrong place to ask this, but it is kinda sorta on the same subject:

Is there anywhere in the forums to discuss personally crafted mons just for fun / lols?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Are Sacred Sword and Sacred Fire still banned? They are not legendary exclusives anymore (Sacred Fire still kinda is, but you get the point)
I am not sure on the former, but the latter will most likely still be banned.

Probably the wrong place to ask this, but it is kinda sorta on the same subject:

Is there anywhere in the forums to discuss personally crafted mons just for fun / lols?
No. CaP/Smogon do not entertain these creations. CaP Pokemon are always made with community input (even the quick caps) and follow a structured creation process. You could try making your own Smeargle's Studio thread, they allow all sorts of artwork down there. Make sure you read the rules first though! The mods of Smeargle's Studio are pretty cool guys so ask them any questions you might have!

Do all CAPs have to have a secondary Ability? I mean, there are plenty of Pokemon with just one (outside of the Dream World, at least), so it would definitely be an interesting option for a Non-Competitive Ability.

Bull of Heaven

No, they don't have to. In fact there is a CAP, Arghonaut, that only has one ability. If "non-competitive ability" is chosen, then "no ability" should be an option in the poll.

Necturna gets Sketch as an Egg Move. Given that in Gen 6 now, the Move Reminder can be used to recall Egg Moves and Event Moves, can it now get Sketch as many times as it wants, and thus have access to every move in the game (excluding Chatter)? Or is it still only once?

Vryheid

fudge jelly
It's still only once. CAPmons don't ever change movepools from when they were created, though Necturna can use the new Gen 6 moves due to Sketch.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I want to get involved in CAP. How might I go about doing that? Where do I start?
Hey, welcome to Smogon and CAP! I'd start by reading the CAP Newcomer's Guide and trying to catch up with the current project. Right now, we're in the middle of making a Pokemon whose purpose is to serve in a core with Lucario and Latias, and we're currently on the Art step. Currently we've decided the Concept, Threats, Typing, two Abilities, and Stats, which can be found by opening up just about any CAP thread and reading the first post. After we decide the Art we'll be working on the Name and Movepool, and you're welcome to participate in those discussions (as well as vote in the ongoing Art Poll).

I'd also recommend going on #cap on SynIRC if you want to talk to other CAP participants in real time. If you've got any other questions, feel free to PM me or ask here :)

I've read the guide, but I'm confused as to why we have to start with a strategic concept before the rest. What's wrong with starting with, say the artwork first, and then determining it's strategic viability? I can understand wanting to avoid making terrible Pokemon, but I feel like creating Pokemon only if it's made in a very specific way hinders creativity. Could you (or anyone) explain why I might be wrong?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've read the guide, but I'm confused as to why we have to start with a strategic concept before the rest. What's wrong with starting with, say the artwork first, and then determining it's strategic viability? I can understand wanting to avoid making terrible Pokemon, but I feel like creating Pokemon only if it's made in a very specific way hinders creativity. Could you (or anyone) explain why I might be wrong?
Creating a Pokemon based off of artwork is certainly one method, and there are many projects around the internet that focus on making Pokemon around a non-competitive theme or design. However, the goals of the Create-A-Pokemon Project are to design Pokemon in order to learn about the competitive Pokemon metagame. While we make artwork, sprites and all that jazz in order to make our Pokemon believable (and because everyone likes that stuff), the competitive side of things is always more important here. As such, when deciding what we want to have our Pokemon do, as a concept, we look at the competitive metagame.

For a better explanation of all this, take a look at the CAP Project mission statement.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
So for this CAP 18, what's happening with the Prevo? There's no Lucario and Latias in LC. I mean there's Riolu, but there's really no Latias equivalent. Is it going to end up as just another pokemon to use in a core?

Bull of Heaven

Previous are just flavour projects. They aren't implemented on PS! Whether this CAP gets a previous or not will be decided later, and will have nothing to do with its concept or any metagame.

Although Mega Evolutions will not be created for any CAP's on the server, either new or existing, have the moderators decided on whether or not we'll make one for taste flavour? The CAP Kitchen could be a good spot for that.

(I'm referring to whenever nothing is going on, and we're are all bored, just like the Kitchen CAPs.)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Although Mega Evolutions will not be created for any CAP's on the server, either new or existing, have the moderators decided on whether or not we'll make one for taste flavour? The CAP Kitchen could be a good spot for that.

(I'm referring to whenever nothing is going on, and we're are all bored, just like the Kitchen CAPs.)
I do not believe they have been ruled out entirely... But for the time being do not hold your breath about Mega's ever appearing for any of the CaPs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)