Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

I've always wondered, why don't we disable random critical hits? This is competitive after all, and the less rng, the better. Removing crits would save a lot of salt without affecting the metas too much, unlike things like scald which is a super important part of VGC.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I've always wondered, why don't we disable random critical hits? This is competitive after all, and the less rng, the better. Removing crits would save a lot of salt without affecting the metas too much, unlike things like scald which is a super important part of VGC.
Pokemon Showdown aims to simulate Pokemon battles on 3DS. There it's not possible to disable them either.

But there are some good reasons as to why we have critical hits, it doesn't just cause salt, it also lessens the power of setup sweepers. For example, Sigilyph could set up Cosmic Power to +6 if it just got the right oppurtunity to set up and it would be almost impossible to KO without the chance of crits or some very specific check to it.

Recently I tried ignoring a user on Pokemon Showdown because they were being particularly rude, but when I rejoined the chat later they were un-ignored. Is this intentional and is there a way to permanently ignore a player? If it is intentional, may I suggest that ignores be permanent?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Recently I tried ignoring a user on Pokemon Showdown because they were being particularly rude, but when I rejoined the chat later they were un-ignored. Is this intentional and is there a way to permanently ignore a player? If it is intentional, may I suggest that ignores be permanent?
This is an intentional feature, not a bug - ignores only last until you refresh. there are no permanent ignores, and I believe that has been suggested and denied already :[

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I recently started working on Technical Machine again. I am following the instructions to implement the protocol. I have logged into the server, I have received the challstr and sent the HTTP POST request, and then received the response from the authorization server. However, when I send
Code:
/trn USERNAME,0,ASSERTION
on the websocket channel, nothing seems to happen (I get no further messages until I join the lobby and start seeing people's chat). My user does not show up in the list of users when I join the lobby, I cannot PM my bot (it says the user is not online), and when I try to send a message from my bot, I get a response of
You must choose a name before you can talk.
What am I doing wrong?

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I don't think you're doing anything wrong per-se, but you've missed a part of the documentation (I think). Every message needs to be prefixed with a room id when sending it to the server from a client, even if the message is "logging in" and you're not actually in any room yet. So the reason you're not getting an accepted assertion is because you're sending
Code:
/trn username,0,assertion
and not what the server expects; which would be
Code:
|/trn username,0,assertion
See my own example of this here.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you. It's so obvious now that you point it out. :) I guess I just assumed that this message was special. Technical Machine is now online and ready to defeat puny humans. :)

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
Here's a question; how come alolan raticate still doesn't have a backsprite?
It does, I made a replacement recently, but it has not been uploaded to the server, as it’s planned to upload them all at once. which, iirc, will happen soon enough

I'm starting to get into the pet mods community and for some things I want to do I'm required to submit code. Could anyone point me to some resources where I could find example code or tutorials? I have coded for games before so it's not a huge stretch, but I've never coded for PS so I need to familiarize myself with it.

Hello i made a pokemon showdown account a while back i remember the username its HectorFG but i forgot my password i remember making a few teams on there with a friend, it would be greatif someone can help me recover my passwrd soi can start playing again

Hey, this is more of a technical question and I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer, but I figured I might ask anyway...

I've been wanting to make my own Showdown Battle API for a while, but I have no idea where to start. I don't need it to do much, just start a battle and then send progress updates back to my server where I'll send back commands to make specific moves etc...

• How does authentication work? Is there a way to authenticate outside the client?
  • I heard that Showdown uses sock.js for WebSockets, is this correct?
  • Has anyone made something similar before?
Worst case I'll just use Selenium, but I'd prefer to remain browser-free since I'll want to run 5-6 games at once.

I'm assuming this is best done with NodeJS, but I can use Python 3 as well.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Quite a time ago now, a friend of mine has been auto lock for posting a screamer. So I was currious about this rule since I didn’t find out where it was written.
I’m not contesting such things, as it’s obviously bad to post screamers but I believe it should be shown on the rule page of showdown.
If it’s include in « respect the US law » I apologies but not totally as this sentance is an exemple of how fuzzy rules are (at least half showdown users ain’t from US so don’t know US law)

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Its not a direct rule, but It can fall under
Global:
1. Be nice to people. Respect people. Don't be rude or mean to people.
5. Moderators have discretion to punish any behaviour they deem inappropriate, whether or not it's on this list. If you disagree with a moderator ruling, appeal to a leader (a user with & next to their name) or Discipline Appeals.

Chat:
1. Do not spam, flame, or troll. This includes advertising, raiding, asking questions with one-word answers in the lobby, and flooding the chat such as by copy/pasting logs in the lobby. (trolling specifically)

As for global rule 5, its not really appropriate to post something thats meant to shock/scare other people. We filter them to prevent trolls from randomly posting them in chats.

So I've noticed Gallade, Gardevoir and Mega-Absol have new animations, I was wondering a few things:
-are there any more new animations?
-why are there are new animations?
-who made them?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
PS Admin
So I've noticed Gallade, Gardevoir and Mega-Absol have new animations, I was wondering a few things:
-are there any more new animations?
-why are there are new animations?
-who made them?
There’s also typhlosion, snorlax and espeon for new ones. they were added since staff liked them better iirc. And DJTHED made them
(Here’s the link to his display thread if you so desire to see)

Last edited:
This was probably asked already, but how did you guys get permission to make Showdown! and use copyrighted stuff?

Edit: What are all the soundtracks that Showdown! has now?

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't had the time to read through this whole thread so I don't know if a question like the one I have now has been answered so I apologize in advance, but anyway:

If I wanted to do something like bring down Mew from Ubers into Gen 4 OU and play on a private server/room/whatever it is called, would this be possible? If so, what would be the steps to make it happen? I'm not super well known in Smogon or anything so I don't particularly know the power hierarchy here and who controls what. Just curious on whether or not things like this are possible and happen here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)