Not open for further replies.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: Goddess Briyella / macle / Corkscrew
GP Checks: / /

Overview
########
With the introduction of Fairy Type in Generation 6, LC dragon types have received a large dent in viability. Axew has a fantastic movepool and ability which allow it to deal with many popular threats. Axew has access to Dragon Dance to boost its already impressive 87 base Atk and respectable Speed into formidable heights.

Unfortunately, Axew is held back slightly by it's mediocre defensive stats even with an Eviolite. Despite it's great movepool, Axew is lacking in a move or two to give it the coverage it really wants, unlike it's older brother Haxorus, it has no access to Earthquake to deal with the likes of Bronzor.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Poison Jab
move 4: Dragon Claw / Superpower
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Eviolite
EVs: 68 HP / 220 Atk / 220 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
Dragon Dance is the name of the set, and features as the first move, an amazing way for Axew to boost it's already high Atk and Speed and sweep late game or even entire teams early game. Paired with Outrage, Axew can do serious damage to anything that doesn't check it. Superpower provides coverage for Axew against steel types such as Magnemite, it can even OHKO with Mold Breaker. Outrage can be risky, locking Axew early game against fairies or steel types, alternatively, you can use Dragon Claw to prevent this from happening. Poison Jab provides perfect coverage for the very popular Spritzee that absorbs Outrages and resists Superpower from Axew.

Set Details
========
Due to Axew's mediocre defenses, Eviolite is pretty much a necessity to give it some bulk and pull off a sweep. The EV spread speaks for itself here, with Dragon Dance max speed and max attack make the most out of Axew's nice offensive stats and movepool. A jolly nature allows Axew to hit 24 speed at +1 which means it can outspeed scarfed Chinchou, scarfed Mienfoo and also scarfed Magnemite and OHKO through sturdy with Mold Breaker. Alternatively, an adamant nature means it still hits 22 speed at +1 and hits with this power:
+1 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Poison Jab vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Spritzee: 22-26 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 22-26 (84.6 - 100%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)

Usage Tips
========
Axew's primary role is late game sweeping once any checks or counters have been removed such as Spritzee, Bronzor or Pawniard. Be aware that using Superpower too early can cripple your chances to sweep with the Atk and Def drops. You should refrain from being greedy with setting up as this could cause you to lose a winning position. Don't lock yourself into outrage if there's a steel type on the opposing team that could take advantage of you being stuck, however, you are safe to spam Outrage if a fairy still exists on the opposing team, since Axew can then select another move after the immunity.

Team Options
========
  • Given Axew's lack of bulk, good teammates would be able to take hits for Axew like Magnemite or Trubbish which resist Axew's weaknesses.
  • Mons that can clear Axew's checks and counters are handy such as Drilbur for steel and fairy types.
  • Knock off support helps Axew a lot, dealing with Spritzee and Vullaby:
+1 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Poison Jab vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Spritzee: 20-24 (74 - 88.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock after Knock Off as well.
  • Because Axew has an inability to get around Fairy types easily, it's usage is often based around a late game sweeper role. This means the Axew appreciates entry hazard support from the likes of Dwebble and Trubbish.

Choice
########
name: Choice
move 1: Dragon Claw
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Poison Jab
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
EVs: 68 HP / 220 Atk / 220 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Dragon Claw is more of a necessity on this set over Outrage as a choice set hates being locked into outrage even more than the Dragon Dance set because even if your Outrage ends, you still have to switch instead of being able to select another move. Superpower and Poison Jab are present again for good coverage of fairies and steel types. Superpower can be a liability however, because it can often ruin the rest of the sweep by lowering Axew's attack.

Set Details
========
Choice Scarf is very handy to outspeed and revenge kill a lot of threats in lc to Axew: Snover and Amaura come to mind, as they both often run scarf sets, beware Ice Shard though, particularly from Snover. Same EV spread as before. Jolly nature to outspeed other scarfed pokemon, Axew also outspeeds Tirtouga and OHKOs through sturdy at +1.

Usage Tips
========
As before with the Dragon Dance set, don't get locked into Outrage too early, Dragon Claw can be utilized for this. Scarf Axew is good for revenge killing a lot of pokemon it wouldn't normally outspeed. Most importantly, late game sweep with Outrage!

Team Options
========
Pokemon that can clear Axew's checks and counters are handy such as Drilbur for steel types and Pawiard fairy types. This is even more useful with the choice set as Axew doesn't like to be locked into a move against a check or a counter like Spritzee. Toxic Spikes and other hazards are very useful for Axew to sweep up, Tentacool can help with this. Knock Off support helps a lot with Axew when trying to sweep as well.

Other Options
########
Choice Band can be used instead of Choice Scarf if you aren't looking for a revenge killer or fast pokemon, in exchange for more power. Night Slash can be usde for coverage of Misdreavus with lack of Knock Off, although this risky as is will not be an OHKO and Missy can Will-O-Wisp or Dazzling Gleam. Life Orb if you want to sacrifice bulk for more power, if you're greedy! Adamant nature can be used for more power, but be careful of jolly or timid set up sweepers or other Axews. Substitute is an option to block Will-O-Wisp, Spore, Sucker Punch, that would normally hinder sweeping capabilities. Iron Tail is an option instead of Poison Jab but it doesn't really cover anything that Superpower already does for Axew in terms of rock types such as Lileep. Dual Chop + Scarf can be used for sash Abra and sub Murkrow.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fairy types**: Spritzee and Snubbull are both immune to Axew's stab and are bulky enough to receive little damage from coverage moves unboosted. Snubbull especially because of intimidate. Even at +1, Axew only has a 50% chance to OHKO Spritzee after SR and if Eviolite has been knocked off:
+1 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Poison Jab vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Spritzee: 22-26 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
and Spritzee can easily OHKO back with a Moonblast.
**Steel types**: Magnemite, Ferroseed and Pawniard all resist Axew's stab and can deal significant damage to Axew or paralyze it in the case of Ferrothorn which hinders its ability to sweep.
**Ice move users**: Particularly protean Froakie which gets STAB ice beam. Also, anything that carries Ice Shard such as Snover and Shellder can be threatening if Axew's HP is low. Scarf Amaura also poses a threat.
**Faster Scarfers**: Misdreavus can pose a threat with a scarf, also Meditite.
**Priority**: Pawniard and Murkrow can easily take out a weakened Axew with Sucker Punch or Murkrow can cripple it with a Prankster Thunder Wave.

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
My apologies, that was an oversight on my part, this thread is still Work In Progress and I've added the important parts I was missing.

umm also, each section needs it's info in bullet points until you have three qc checks, then you do a write-up. and for moves, set details, usage tips, and team options, the heading should read like this example:

Moves
========

what you have now for those parts would create new tabs entirely with the new analysis format. the checks and counters format should look like this example as well:

**Fairy-types**: Spritzee and Snubbull are immune to it's stab and don't take too much damage from it's other attacks. they can also KO with their stab moves

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Magnemite can take it's stab easily and deal severely damage or paralyze it in the case of Ferroseed, preventing a sweep.

and if your analysis is ready for qc, change the tag from "WIP" to "Quality Control" (go to thread tools towards the top, hit edit title, and click on the WIP tag). if it's not ready for qc, you should remove the "[QC 0/3]" from the title.

if you are wondering anything about formatting or the qc process or something, feel free to ask. you can refer to analyses by some of our experienced lc players, such as Goddess Briyella, Electrolyte, prem, Corkscrew, etc if you are wondering about what sort of things go where.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah I know this is work in progress but saying 'Aqua Tail is good coverage' doesn't really tell me anything. What does it hit? Is there anything it hits harder than Outrage or even Superpower... like I genuinely can't think of what it's useful for. Also, put Knock Off support in team options, it really helps vs. Spritzee, Vullaby, Foongus and tonne more physical walls, ohkoing them at +1 with Knock Off support.
Slash in adamant, or at least mention it, as well as it already hits 22 speed at +1 and 24 speed doesn't help it with an awful lot. Mainly for these calcs:

+1 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Poison Jab vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Spritzee: 20-24 (74 - 88.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
that's if it been knocked off

+1 220 Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 20-24 (76.9 - 92.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24)
+1 220+ Atk Mold Breaker Axew Superpower vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 22-26 (84.6 - 100%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)

Orphic

perhaps
Thanks kavatika, I was having trouble nailing the format, hope it's okay now, it was in bullet points i just didnt have the bullet points!
Your changes have been implemented, thanks so far :)

EDIT: Will implement Corkscrew's changes soon.

again, pay attention to the formatting I have here for checks and counters:

**name of pokemon/type/etc that threatens the pokemon**: stuff about threat, generally what moves it can switch in on and what it does to the threatened pokemon

it shouldn't be straight bullet points for checks counters basically, just make sure to have the '**name of threat**:' before you detail the threat. it's easier to do it now rather than during the write-up.

Orphic

perhaps
Formatting changed, excuse any formatting errors, this is my first one, naturally they will be eradicated as time passes.
As for Corkscrew, I considered it, and Aqua Tail has now been removed because any rock types it would cover can be dealt with using Superpower. Gligar has been banned so Aqua Tail has no real pros over Superpower. Bare with me on other changes.

small nitpick, but after this all the formatting is correct. the checks and counters section should have the title "Checks & Counters"

Orphic

perhaps
That's fine, nitpicks are ok with me, it should be fine tuned :)

All suggested changes implemented, moving this into QC.

Consider using life orb on the main set. You only have a 50% chance with the eviolite, where as i think it hits 90.something% with life orb. Choice band sets are a lot of fun, but moreso with rivalry. I'm not sure what I used to run for choice band, but its legit, I swear. Maybe I'll come back with more information.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
  • Poison Jab being on Axew's main set is non-negotiable. Dragon Claw should be slashed in with Outrage if anywhere. List Poison Jab as the third move and then Superpower as the final one. Keep in mind that the moves of any set in any analysis should be listed in order of importance.
  • Rock-types do not wall Axew at all. "Superpower is nice coverage for steel types and rock types that would normally wall Axew such as Lileep or Ferroseed."
  • Outrage does not lock its user into the move if it hits a Fairy-type, and Axew will be allowed to select a new move on the following turn. Hitting an immunity in this manner also prevents Outrage's confusion side-effect from happening, so if anything, +1 Outrage is safely spammable if Fairy-types remain on the opponent's team, but not Steel-types. You should edit your information in the Moves and Usage Tips sections to reflect this.
  • It needs to be strongly emphasized how totally screwed Axew is against Fairy-types, oftentimes even if after a Dragon Dance. The only exception here is that it can easily OHKO Cottonee with Poison Jab without needing setup. Axew has severe problems with standard Spritzee, even despite how massive its Attack power is; even after Stealth Rock damage, a +1 Poison Jab from Adamant Axew only has a 50% chance to OHKO Spritzee after its Eviolite has been removed. Be sure to point out that getting Axew to +1 does not mean it can just run through Fairy-types with Poison Jab. A lot of new players are likely to get this idea if it is not stressed in this analysis. Snubbull is especially problematic due to its Intimidate further limiting Axew's offensive potential and effectively nullifying its Attack boost if it has used Dragon Dance.

• Axew's inability to get around Fairy-types and other important threats to it in one hit relegates its use in battle to a mid-game or late-game sweeper a lot of time, so that it can pick off things that have taken damage already. For this reason, Axew appreciates not only Knock Off support as Corkscrew mentioned, but also hazard support. Hazards and Pokemon like Dwebble and Trubbish that commonly use them should be added to Team Options.
  • While it may seem negligible, mention the liability of using Superpower. It often ruins the rest of a sweep due to its Attack and Defense drops, and so players must be mindful of its use even when they have a chance to hit a foe with it for super effective damage.
  • While not as significantly problematic for Axew as Fairy- and Steel-types can be, it should be pointed out in Checks & Counters that most things that carry Ice Beam can pose a serious threat, especially Protean Froakie, which gets STAB on it. Ice Shard is also problematic and can bring even a boosted Axew down if its health isn't up to par; common users of this include Snover and Shellder. Also be wary of Scarf Amaura.

Make these changes and that's QC 1/3 ♥

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DD set
when you say jolly hits 24 speed, what scarfers does it outspeed that adamant doesn't? the ones i can think of it tying with scarf chou and scarf foo. As this isn't that important as both are rare, I'd change the first slash to adamant, unless there's anything else i can't think of. but yeah, just mention the advantages of jolly.
oh i guess outspeed timid scarf mag and using mold breaker to KO through sturdy is neat, so jolly is good for that.

Scarf set
mention it outspeeds Tirtouga AND OHKOs through sturdy. this is a fantastic niche to have as it resists aqua jet.
again, what does jolly outspeed? amaura, +2 tirtouga, +1 scraggy, scarf mag are the main ones.
in usage tips, mention it can late game sweep with outrage.
tentacool>tentacruel ^_^

OO
dual chop + scarf can revenge sub abra and subkrow i guess...

C&C
faster scarfers like missy etc...

3/3

Orphic please change this back to quality control stage. You need a final look-over AFTER having it qced 3/3 and written up. Please do keep this in mind in the future as well. Thanks!

Is Bronzor even relevant?
I meant, it is in the introduction but it is pretty low i the usage stats (around 4%) and setup fodder for Pawniard who is a big threat.
I'd also mention in C&C section that priority from the likes of Murkrow and Pawniard can easily revenge kill a weakened Axew (which is not uncommon as he is pretty frail).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)