ORAS Doubles OU Azu Suspect Test Team (2 alts in top 20)

2 lazy to ladder to #1 lul

---------------------------------------------------------

What the team is built around Diancie beats dragons, Charizard-Y, and Kangaskhan all things Gastro struggles with. Gastro handles Heatran, Aegislash, Jirachi and with Icy Wind it lets Diancie beat offensive Thundurus and Landorus-T. Gastro really helps Diancie with Azumarill once it sets up because Storm Drain lul and Substitute Volcanion which is common as fuck is rendered useless.

I was hella weak to Amoonguss/Breloom so goggles Aegislash is a pretty nice switchin and answer to those guys. Wide Guard helps out with Landorus-T and Hyper Voices from Sylveon/Gardevoir. Gives me a good switchin to Kangaskhan another check to Metagross, Aegislash, and Jirachi.

Was weak to fat grass types (Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn). Helps with the core of Charizard-Y + Venusaur. Helps by doing big damage to things like Hoopa-U, Gardevoir, and Sylveon. Is extremely important for Deo-A, Ludicolo/Kingdra in rain, and other Talonflame.

Landorus was kind of an overall good choice for the team. Needed a Landorus switchin, a thing to deal with Jirachi+[insert pokemon here], something to KO Charizard if it's paired with Wide Guard, something to revenge Kangaskhan, another thing to out speed Deo-A, and something that ohkos Hoopa-U. Intimidate is nice for Aegislash, Gastro, and the whole team tbh.

I really needed a Trick Room check, something that matched up well against Amoonguss, was decent against rain teams, Rotom-W check, Mega Venusaur check, Kyurem-B/Hydreigon check, and a Hoopa check. Taunt Hydreigon does all that shit so I put it on the team.

---------------------------------------------

Diancie-Mega (
) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

Substitute Diancie is something that I've used in the past and it's pretty cool. Diancie forces a lot of switches or forces protects and no one expects sub so you can get one off easily. The most common switchins for Diancie are Jirachi, Aegislash, Amoonguss, Landorus, among other things and my team is pretty well equipped to handle those dudes so the plan is to get up a sub protect go into counter. With Icy Wind, Wide Guard, Storm Drain redirection, and things to beat those bulky steels Diancie behind a sub can be quite annoying. The 200~ special attack spread can be used to 2hko Kangaskhan but I haven't tried it so idk. Hasty can be used as well but I always use Naive so force of habit lul.

Gastrodon (
) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 212 HP / 188 Def / 80 SpA / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Protect

Gastrodon is adorable and I'm so glad it's viable in this meta. It has a great match up against a lot of common mons like Landorus, Thundurus, Heatran, Volcanion, Aegislash, Jirachi, and Diancie etc. The spread does several things. 212 hp is the highest leftovers number I could get and with 188 defense I avoid 2hkos from a plethora of attacks: Diancie Moonblast, Talonflame Brave Bird(with a protect) Life Orb Landorus Earthquake, Keldeo Secret Sword, lives Psycho Boost from Deo-A, 4hkoed from Heatran Earth Power, KOs 200~ hp Heatran and the 80 special attack breaks 108 hp Kyurem-B Substitute.

Aegislash (
) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Aegislash's role is to switch into Amoonguss/Breloom, help out Hydreigon/Talonflame/Diancie with Wide Guard, and gives me a good switch in to Kangaskhan, Metagross, Diancie, and Gardevoir/Sylveon. Evs let me take 2 -1 Earthquakes from Landorus and 0 speed with a Quiet nature because as an Aegislash you always want to under speed opposing Aegislash because unless they're Choice Specs or some shit you take a Shadow Ball in Shield Form and kill them when they change into Blade form.

Talonflame (
) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Talonflame's main role is to out speed and kill/break sashes/do big damage to Deo-A, Hoopa-U(especially in Trick Room), Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Venusaur among other things but those are the important ones. Keeps me from 100% losing to Ferrothorn/Mega Venusaur lul. Quick Guard is for Fake Out + Trick Room so I can lead Talon+Hydreigon against TR teams and actually stop it from going up(had tailwind before and my god TR was annoying to face). Jolly because I want to have the best shot at beating other Talonflame, out speeding offensive Thundurus is nice, and I can QG on Weavile's Fake Out lul.(might make it Adamant idk)

Landorus-Therian (M)(
) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landorus's role is to stop Jirachi + anything really(mostly Kangaskhan) from going wild, it's also great for revenging a ton of mons, gives me a back up check to Charizard-Y, and all in all a great pivot. The spread is a slightly edited one from the ev spread compendium. It lets me live a bulky Thundurus Hp Ice, 2 -1 Brave Birds from Talonflame, a +1 Sucker Punch from Bisharp, and I changed the speed so I can out speed Deoxys-A.

Hydreigon (
) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Protect

Hydreigon's role is basically to stop Trick Room, stop Amoonguss from Sporing everything, beat Rotom-W, and maybe win a speed tie against another Hydreigon/drop a Draco on a Adamant Kangaskhan lol. Evs are pretty simple 16 hp gives me a Life Orb number and Timid gives me the best shot at beating opposing Hydreigon because my main ways to kill that are Diancie and locking Lando into Superpower and you usually never want to do that early/mid game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-425994015 fun game against Psynergy p much a mirror match.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-427348655 battle against Scarf Kyurem and a guy who doesn't know what Storm Drain is or thinks less than I do when I ladder.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-427363189 fun game against Lohgock, Amoonguss is annoying.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-426027448 battle against Kang Azu Rachi

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-430747379 When your opponent thinks you have scald on gastro and forfeits LUL

48 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 212 HP / 28 SpD Gastrodon: 181-214 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 212 HP / 188+ Def Gastrodon: 177-211 (42.5 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 188+ Def Gastrodon: 187-220 (44.9 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 212 HP / 188+ Def Gastrodon: 200-238 (48 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery[insert protect here]

252 SpA Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 212 HP / 28 SpD Gastrodon: 333-393 (80 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

232+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 212 HP / 28 SpD Gastrodon: 122-144 (29.3 - 34.6%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

80 SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 376-448 (100 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

80 SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 109-129 (26 - 30.8%) -- 3.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 20 Def Aegislash-Shield: 134-158 (41.8 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 56 HP / 56 Def Landorus-T: 278-329 (83.4 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

8+ SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 280-332 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 56 HP / 56 Def Landorus-T: 140-165 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Substitute
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 212 HP / 188 Def / 80 SpA / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Icy Wind
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Protect

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Protect

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Wow I really really like this team. You have a few unconventional sets, but there's good reasoning behind it and they'll catch people off guard.

Normally I tell people to run Hasty because Naive can be OHKO'd by Earth Power from Mega Diancie / Kyu-B / Heatran, but in this case I actually like your choice. Naive prevents Talonflame from 2HKOing, which in turn means it cannot break your sub after 2 Diamond Storm boosts. Jolly Quick Guard Talonflame is something I'd never consider but that totally works here. Taunt Hydrei is a bit iffy but you don't really need any other coverage and the team handles things like Volcanion well enough that Roost isn't worth it either.

The only change I'd consider would be Scald > Protect on Gastrodon. Recover and Protect on the same mon is not my favorite and potential Scald burns help Diancie's substitute stick around, as well as gives you a way to hit Talonflame back in exchange for avoiding the 2HKO you mentioned. However, with all the pressure Gastrodon has to tank so many hits, I can see why you went for Protect.

Cool team, definitely gonna try it out for myself

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Wow, excellent team man. Not much to say other than that this team sums up the meta so well right now.

Though, Scald>Protect could be considered on gastro just because how broken a move scald is and also because talonflame is not that difficult for this team to handle. Ludicolo rain can be a little tough to face I guess, but talon + gastro wins against it though.(Also it ain't that common anyways)

Anyways, best of luck and keep making more teams.

PS : More replays showing off my boi gastro pls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)