Back to Basics

I've barely ever actually posted around on Smogon, so I realize that some bits of my post may seem odd since I had originally posted this on other forums, but I decided that before I leave for college and my activity becomes basically nonexistent most likely for good, that I should post up at least one of my teams on Smogon, so here it is along with the introduction I used on other forums.
Since officially quitting Pokemon around a month ago, I have participated in a few battles, some friendly fun, some very far from that, and with this, I decided that I wanted to build a really great team. When I looked back at the Pokemon I started off doing really well with, I realized that I wanted to go back to using them for a bit; take a nice trip down memory lane. I have never actually posted this team in an RMT, but it's somewhat similar to a team I used to run a lot. The bulk of this team are Pokes I've used for very long and know perform very well, and the rest was implemented with use of a lot of mechanics I use when building and rating teams. I do believe this team is as close to unbeatable as most of my teams will get, but I still appreciate any comments you may have, although typically, once I put a team up for an RMT, it means I'm done using it.

Lead:

Milo-TECH
Milotic@Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 60 SpAtk / 136 SpDef
Moveset:
-Surf
-Hypnosis
-Hidden Power [Electric]
-Recover

Description: If you've fought me a lot, then you probably know that my classic Milotic lead goes on a large portion of my more competitive teams. I can't stress enough how much I enjoy using this thing as a lead. If something fast is around to put me to sleep, then I'm fine with absorbing status, and if not, then I get a free sleep on whatever. Due to Milotic's incredible all around bulk, it'll survive pretty much most attacks and be able to hypnosis, recover, and start the game off on the right foot for me.

EVs: Basically it gives it some nice all around bulk, although they were never intended for anything specific as I made this one quite a long time ago.

Team Work: Milotic sends stuff off to sleep, starts me out right, and draws in whatever counters I need to see while recovering. From that point, I can easily switch out to a counter for whatever comes in. Counters any Heatran or Gyarados pretty nicely. Overall, thumbs up.

Dr. Acula
Gliscor@Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Moveset:
-Stealth Rock
-Roost
-Earthquake
-Knock Off / Aerial Ace

Description: Ugh, Gliscor is always good, and when combined with Milotic and Empoleon, it's just awful how well it works. You all know why it's here, and you all know what it does.

EVs: lol. I'm thinking if I went with Aerial Ace, I'd use more speed EVs, but I'm always between them.

Team Work: It just always works too well. Sets up those rocks, walls ground attacks, counters breloom and heracross, who this team isn't really a fan of, but not many are anyway. Most boring team member by far.

Gay Lad
Gallade@Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 SpDef / 100 HP
Moveset:
-Close Combat
-Shadow Sneak
-Psycho Cut
-Will o Wisp

Description: Good old Gay Lad. I made this set up a long time ago and it wreaked havoc on the metagame from months past, and now it's back to do some more damage. Shadow Sneak is overall a very favorable attack, and with Expert Belt and all those SpDef/HP EVs, I can switch him into special attacks very well and make my opponent believe I'm choiced not seeing Leftovers. Thus they will not expect Will o Wisp to hit their stupid Gyarados or DDmence in the face.

EVs: EVed quite finely. If need be, I survive a Choice Specs Fire Blast from Heatran. Maxed out attack since this will kill things.. a lot.

Team Work: A great many of Milotic's counters are countered by Gallade. A great many of Gallade's counters are countered by burn status. Beautiful tank. I almost don't like posting this set up so that it'll be more predictable now, but... I don't play anymore, so whatever. Counters Speed form like no one's business. Pretty much the best MixApe counter here as well.

GAMMASWINE
Mamoswine@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 136 SpDef / 124 HP
Moveset:
-Curse
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Description: So many teams are really very curseswine weak. I had realized how much it really champs teams when I used to use it on almost every team I made. It's one of the best Pokemon in the metagame, and it counters so much that it's almost disgusting how bad it can tear certain teams wide open.

EVs: EVed to survive a Surf from max SpAtk Timid Starmie. Other than that, all Attack, baby.

Team Work: Counters most electric types in the game. Sweeps teams. Gives me strong priority against dragons. Is beautiful.

4u,Darling
Roserade@Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Moveset:
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball

Description: I try never to make a truly competitive team without any scarfed Pokes. Roserade fits very nicely in here, countering Gengar, Celebi, Starmie [bar switching into ice beam of course..], most grass types in general, and... whatever. I use Shadow Ball mostly in order to counter Gengar, HP Fire because it's the only fire move around here, and I have Heatran pretty significantly covered, and Sludge Bomb obviously for the grass types that abound and that Roserade generally gets a free switch in on.

EVs: I decided to go for Modest since I really don't care about Scarfchomp enough with swine and gliscor sitting around that I could lose so much power for it. Other than that, I just go all out.

Team Work: I already listed a fair few Pokemon that it counters, but with Roserade's growing popularity, the scarfed set is not as often seen as the toxic spiker or whatever, so this causes a few surprises and generally works really great for me. I don't really need Sleep Powder since Milotic switches in and puts stuff to sleep so often that Roserade basically wants to KO and then get out.

Shameful
Empoleon@Life Orb
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Moveset:
-Agility
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot

Description: While not insanely original, Agility empoleon is very cool and can finish off a lot of weakened teams given that I gather the turn needed to set it up. This is actually the only Pokemon on the team I'm not entirely sure about, as it was the last one I actually added to the team after looking into a lot of different Pokemon and seeing that Empoleon's type combo as well as its prowess in Special Attacking is very unique and... I can't really think of anything else that would work in this spot. Either way, it can often save me from the likes of plenty of Pokemon, and it generally works fairly nicely.

EVs: Basically... See my reasoning for Roserade. P;

Team Work: As I said, it's the one Pokemon I'm not quite sure about, but often enough, the other five work together so well that this will not come out for a while, and when it finally does, it usually can finish off whatever my opponent has left. It's a nice addition, but it's not as incredible as I see the rest of the team being together.

So that's it! This team really is one that I'm quite proud of in retrospect, but here are a few things that I have noticed while playing it..
-I lack a phazer, allowing Pokemon such as Suicune to really give me some problems from time to time.
-Breloom is just a piss off. I don't know why, but with this team, I generally end up having to give up at least one Pokemon to Breloom, despite the fact that Gliscor and Roserade significantly wall most sets.
-Gengar gives most of my teams problems, and I generally have to work off of my playing to get Roserade in correctly to defeat it, despite the fact that it looks like roserade can generally switch into anything well.. I just don't want Hypnosis hitting and then hitting again as I switch out. It's not a fun situation.
-Bronzong can get very annoying unless brought down by Milotic or Gallade.
-Will o Wisp, Hypnosis, Leafstorm, and Stone Edge miss too much. :P

You don't have a proper status absorber (which is probably one reason you have a problem with Breloom and Gengar. You could use a RestTalk set on Milotic or something.

Other than that, looks like a solid team.

- Gay Lad + Deoxys-S
HP Ice Nape gives you a really hard time, be careful. Deoxys-S owns it through revenge.

Scarf Gar gives you trouble also and so does Scarf Azelf. Suggestion is to stick in a special wall in there or even better, something like spiritomb with rest talk to absorb status + Pursuit/Sucker Punch on both the former and the latter.

One more thing. you need 80 speed ev's on that Gliscor to outrun Adamant Tyranitar. Stone Edge from a CB Tar is never nice, especially when it crits you.

Yes, this team has suffered one loss due to hax and awful mispredictions on my part, and the key Poke that really tore through me was HP Ice Infernape, since I sat there like a doof using Will o Wisp thinking he would switch since Flamethrower barely 3HKOd me..
Milotic usually serves as my status absorber and special wall taking sleep from faster leads and burns and paralysis due to the marvel scale boost, although Roserade with Natural Cure works as well. The point I try to go for is letting Breloom/Gengar get the sleep on Milotic, but of course that can't always be achieved. I really don't even enjoy using walls though. I'm not much a fan of having Gliscor sitting around even, but it saves this team from a lot of crap.

Also, isn't using speed form for revenge killing kind of a moot point, since that doesn't solve the problem of switching in, and arguably Gallade can revenge it almost just as well and switch in fairly flawlessly as well.. I'll fix the EVs on Gliscor, and typically scarfzelf and scarfgar can't really do a lot to Gallade and Shadow Sneak will KO if they're below like 70% IIRC.
Thanks for the rates so far. I look forward to seeing more. ^^

Milotic is useless when a sleep with out sleep talk and it can't take poison or burn with out rest.

Milotic is useless when a sleep with out sleep talk and it can't take poison or burn with out rest.
Um..
You're wrong, sorry.

Besides, Roserade sucks up Toxic Spikes, and I'm usually going for getting Milotic to take any status ASAP so the rest of the team doesn't. It's fine with burn; the only thing it really doesn't like that much is Toxic, which it can deal with anywya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)