Balance doesn't always fail to stall~UU RMT

Ah, another season of UU, another team. Except this time I'm playing with a Balanced team(or bulky-offense if you want to look at it like that, but I don't think it's nessesarily bulky-offense), unlike my last team, which was hyper offense with 4 Life Orbs and a Choice Bander. This time around, just 1 Choice user and 1 Life Orb.
As many of you know, UU stall is extremely effective and probably the most common type of team in higher play (don't quote me on that). And as I just can't/won't play stall, and being tired of offense, I gravitated towards balance. In my mind though, I knew I needed to prepare heavily for stall since balance tends to fail against stall when left unprepared. So most of the Pokemon on my team help one way or another to combat stall, and can hold their own against heavy offense too. I've been pretty successful with the team, and am close to the leaderboard (I'm not on it already since I don't use a test account to test stuff out, and I d/c'd like 4 times yesterday @___@)

Your first look....

The Team

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/84 Spd/172 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

The Role on the Team
Mesprit is a TrickSpecs'er and functions as my lead. In the past, I've used leads like Moltres, Roserade, Ambipom and Uxie, so I wanted something new. What I looked for in a lead was power, reliability, and the ability to set up Stealth Rock. I ended up trying out Mesprit and was satisfied by how it fulfilled all three. I originally used a Scarf set, but found I had to sacrifice too much bulk or power to outspeed anything significant, and I still wanted to have a Tricker, so I went for Specs. This thing is pretty powerful, can take a hit, AND can set up Rocks. And for how it combats Stall, Mesprit can usually cripple something like Chansey or Registeel with Choice Specs, which they can use even less than a Scarf. And if I haven't convinced you yet, here's how Mesprit plays out vs common leads:

~Ambipom: Mesprit doesn't like taking a Fake out + U-turn at all, so it's usually a switch out to MissyM to take the Fake Out.
~Roserade: Usually in Mesprit's advantage. The speed EVs outspeed minimum speed Roserades, so I can dent them with an Ice Beam before they attack. Life Orb 'Rades will typically go for the attack, and Mesprit can take an LO Leaf Storm (baaaaaarely though)and OHKO Roserade back with Ice Beam. Scarf Roserade will Sleep me, but a miss or an attack will cost it alot.
~Moltres: Life Orb Moltres will never OHKO me with Fire Blast barring a crit, while my Thunderbolt will always OHKO Moltres after recoil.
~Yanmega: This one's tricky. Standard Yanmega leads won't OHKO me with Bug Buzz while I'll get them on their sash with either move, but then taking out 'Mega will be the hard part. Specs leads will obviously KO me, but then Honchkrow can revenge.
~Registeel, Steelix, Regirock ect.: Oddly they don't typically switch out, letting me cripple them with Choice specs and letting me get up Rocks.
~Uxie: I don't Trick since many have a Scarf, so I usually go for Rocks then a switch to Krow.

The Set
~Stealth Rock: The best move in the game, explanation isn't necessary.
~Thunderbolt+Ice Beam: I only had two slots for moves, so I opted for the great coverage given by the BoltBeam combo instead of STAB, and the two moves coincidentally are great to hit common leads with, as well as spinners. Hitmontop is terrified by the threat of Psychic, Blastoise is taken out by Thunderbolt, and Claydol and Donphan are eliminated by Ice Beam. You'd really be surprised how many Donphan stay in on me after I switch in on Earthquake, only to be OHKO'd.
~Trick: A great move to stop Curser's, CMers and the like, along with walls like Chansey and Registeel who lose alot of usability with Specs. And Mesprit can take advantage os most items except for a Choice Band.
Lastly, the EVs are to maximize Mesprits bulk, while outspeeding minimum speed Roserade.

---

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The Role on the Team
Toxicroak is my single set up sweeper and is a great little surprise to those expecting a physical 'Croak only to be met with a +2 Special 'Croak. Toxicroak is great at switching into pretty much every water type that isn't Slowbro and setting up. It's also is a great check to rain teams since Ludicolo and especially Kabutops can't touch Toxicroak, and he scores a super effective hit on both, leaving them to explode with Quilfish (which is really predictable) if they lack Earth power Omastar or Psychic Gorebyss.Lastly, Toxicroak can be pretty effective vs Stall as well, not really caring for any status (besides sleep of course),for example; Toxicroak switches into Chansey easily (especially ones who use Toxic), and boosts. The typical reaction would be either Donphan or Altaria, who are both OHKO'd. Chansey can't stop me from getting to +4 and 2KOing her and Registeel too. The best thing stopping me is Mismagius, who I can't hit too hard.

The Set
~Nasty Plot: Chosen over Swords Dance or Sub Punch mainly for unpredictability.
~Sludge Bomb: My main STAB move, not the best coverage but it still hits hard after a boost.
~Vacuum Wave: Great priority and it lets me go Modest without much consequence. Although alot of times I wish I had stronger fighting STAB
~HP Ice: The main reason I have this move is because Donphan was the most common switch in to Toxicroak, and I couldn't KO it with Shadow Ball or Vaccum Wave. The Ice type also hits Torterra and Altaria nicely, while staying neutral on Drapion and other Toxicroak.
---

Roserade (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis / Spikes

The Role on the Team
Roserade works as my special sponge to Water, Electric and Grass-type attacks, and it takes neutral attacks well too. Roserade works as a check, not counter, to offensive Roserade since it can take Leaf Storms all day and hit back with Sludge Bomb. It's also the thing keeping bulky waters from walling me all day. Roserade is my second line of defense against weather teams, beating Ludicolo and Omastar 1v1 and stopping Shiftry and Psychic-less Exeggutor on Sun teams. All in all, Roserade is just a great Pokemon, and you should all know that.

The Set
~Energy Ball & Sludge Bomb: Standard STAB, I couldn't really function without either.
~Aromatherapy: A really great attack for this team, who all hate being statused and a really undervalued move to most people who use Roserade.
~Synthesis/Spikes: Two moves I've been swapping around that have their own usage. Spikes is great for piling on extra damage and wearing out the other team, but a pokemon meant to take hits really likes it's recovery.

---

Mismagius (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/220 Spd/40 SAtk
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Taunt

The Role on the Team
Working well as both a Physical and Special tank, this Missy is sometimes disposable and sometimes extremely valuable. It's my best switch into fighting types, outspeeding them and burning them. The set is the standard Stallbreaker set if you haven't noticed by now (tyvm Thund), and it works very well against slower teams and unprepared stall team. It combats all sorts of threats like Hitmonlee, Poliwrath, Regirock&Steel, Steelix and Yanmega in a pinch.

The Set
~Will-O-Wisp: Delivers a burn and bolsters Mismagius' defense, making it a good answer to fighters not named Blaziken. Also helps wear down Registeel and other walls over time.
~Shadow Ball: STAB, not much else to say. Sometimes I think Thunderbolt would be better, to have a neutral hit on Registeel, as well as a super effective hit on Milotic and Honchkrow.
~Pain Split: This move really helps Mismagius last over time, and it wears down foes while healing me.
~Taunt: What really makes the set, it's great to shut down most Pokemon on stall (damn you Drapion!) by blocking their Recovery.

---

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP/172 Atk/248 Def/8 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Payback
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge

The Role on the Team
Hariyama adds some more offense to the team and this particular set can be really devastating considering it's only on 15% of the already uncommon Hariyama. Hariyama works pretty well as a physical wall, stopping Torterra and Rhydon easily as well as switching in on all the Regi's and Steelix, setting up a Sub they cant break. Hariyama also has really key Fire and Dark resistances, which the first four Pokemon on my team really appreciate (fact: the recently popular Houndoom is stopped cold by Hariyama).

The Set
~Substitute: Hariyama creates ENORMOUS subs impenetrable by Seismic Toss/ Night Shade from Chansey & Clefable, Registeels Iron Head, Steelix's Earthquake, and many weak, unSTABed Ice Beams and Flamethrowers. It also blocks status, especially from Chansey, Registeel and Tangrowth, who I outspeed.
~Focus Punch: Completing the classic SubPunch strategy, Hariyama's Focus Punch hits really hard, even with an Impish nature and only 172 Atk EVs, with Hariyama's great 120 Atk.
~Payback: My coverage move, it'll typically have 100 base power since Hariyama is stupid slow, or it's behind a sub. Hariyama can also take a Psychic surprisingly well, making this a good attack to batter weaker Psychics with.
~Ice Punch / Stone Edge: A second coverage move, both have their uses. Ice Punch really works well for Claydol and Venusaur, who tend to switch in on their resistances. Stone Edge I like to hit Yanmega switches with, as well as letting me deal damage to Blaziken.

---

Honchkrow (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk/160 Spd/96 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

The Role on the Team
Ah Honchkrow, the beloved wall destroyer. My Honchkrow is slightly edited to be more defensive, opting for Leftovers, Insomnia and some SpD EVs instead of Life Orb. I also have Pursuit, which is a really valuable (and for some reason, unexpected) move that weakens Roserade, Chansey, Uxie and other Pokemon that are rightfully scared of Honchkrow. Honchkrow generally has an easy switch on Psychics drawn in to Toxicroak and Hariyama, and can Puruit them to death :). And although it doesn't have a Life Orb, stall is still taking a beating from Honchkrow in the late game.

The Set
~Drill Peck: Drills holes into many Pokemon and is great STAB to destroy Grass types, and the Special Defense EVs are mainly to ease the switch into Grass types, especially defensive Roserade who the EVs are meant to outspeed.
~Sucker Punch: The best priority in UU and it stops so many sweeps it's not funny. My last check to rain teams, and dents Yanmega enough so that it won't completely sweep me.
~Pursuit: Pursuit suits Honchkrow since it gets STAB, and a lot of Pokemon switch out of Honchkrow because they expect a Sucker Punch, so it traps them essentially since they can either stay and get Punched, or switch and get Pursuited. I don't miss Night Slash at all in this position.
~Superpower: Dents steels so I'm not walled, mainly Magneton and Registeel.
---

Threats
It's too late to type a threat list, so that'll come later @___@.

Ok, there's my team. Rate(plz), Steal (lol), whatever.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Hi,

at a first look your team seems very weak to both Yanmega and calm mind Mismagius, the latter can be somehow revenge killed by Honchkrow, though if she has substitute this task will be way harder, while a speed boost Yanmega with life orb can literally decimate your team. The most obvious suggestion woud be to add a Registeel somewhere, maybe in place of Hariyama:

Registeel@leftovers
nature: careful
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD
-iron head
-earthquake
-thunder wave
-explosion

You also seem quite weak to life orb Moltres, which can easily ohko your only fire resist with air slash. Lately, to combat fire Pokémon, I've been running the offensive Milotic set created by RaikouLover, I think that you might give it a try over Toxicroak. This Milotic still retains a decent bulk, but is also an effective wallbreaker, so it won't turn your team into a defensive one.

Finally, I believe that Honckrow needs life orb: it's not going to last long anyway due to its low defences and the SR weakness (and you having no spinner) but without the life orb boost you'll lose a lot of power to weaken physical walls like Steelix and Regirock (with life orb you can 2hko both with superpower even after the Atk drop) and to revenge kill fast sweepers like Yanmega (with life orb you can revenge kill it a lot more easilywith sucker punch, doing up to 69.65% to the standard speed boost Yanmega).

Good luck!

CM Missy is becoming more and more rare and honestly isn't the hardest thing to counter. Hariyama can come in and spam Payback, leaving it in the zone for Honchkrow to pick it off. And Honckrow only takes about 30% from a +1 HP Fighting, letting me take two hits even with SR and beat Missy guaranteed with Pursuit.
Next off, the biggest reservation I have with adding Registeel is that it makes me even more Moltres and Blaziken weak. What I have thought of using though is a Specially Defensive Altaria to counter Blaziken and LO Roserade better, along with checking Moltres and Yanmega (who admittedly is a big problem).
Lastly, I've found that a Life Orb isn't that much worth it on Pursuit Honchkrow, and I really need Honchkrow to last more than a few turns.

Thanks for the rate Haunter.

Hi,

at a first look your team seems very weak to both Yanmega and calm mind Mismagius, the latter can be somehow revenge killed by Honchkrow, though if she has substitute this task will be way harder, while a speed boost Yanmega with life orb can literally decimate your team.
Decimate, literally, means to kill one in ten... I don't think that's what you mean.

I don't think Registeel is really required if Hariyama can set up first.
At first glance Hariyama seems to be a weak link, but considering the subs, I'm not so sure. The power, the bulk and the sheer rarity gives it a bit of an edge. Ice Punch or Stone Edge seem more than capably of felling a Yanmega with Stealth Rocks support.
On top of that, the team seems to already has a distict fire weakness so Registeel may not be a nice choice.

Other than that, I can spot no real crippling flaws.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hate to nitpick, but you say Nasty Plot is "unpredictable" on Toxicroak; it's easily the most common set nowadays. Not saying it's not effective - its extremely effective. Just, it's not uncommon.

EDIT: Props on Stallbreaker set. I love it, and it's a beast! >:D

haunter

Banned deucer.
Decimate, literally, means to kill one in ten... I don't think that's what you mean.

I don't think Registeel is really required if Hariyama can set up first.
At first glance Hariyama seems to be a weak link, but considering the subs, I'm not so sure. The power, the bulk and the sheer rarity gives it a bit of an edge. Ice Punch or Stone Edge seem more than capably of felling a Yanmega with Stealth Rocks support.
On top of that, the team seems to already has a distict fire weakness so Registeel may not be a nice choice.

Other than that, I can spot no real crippling flaws.

I didn't mean literally, there's no need to point out something so obvious...

Registeel may actually cover the Yanmega issue nicely, and wouldn't hurt that much when paired with the Milotic I suggested. Actually Registeel + Milotic is a great defensive combo, and would of course solve most of the weaknesses of this team. And obviously only a fool would switch Yanmega in when Hariyama is behind the substitute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)