ORAS OU Balance. Isn't. Dead. (Mega Zam Hazard Stacking) Peaked #1 & Won a Smogon Tour

Hey what's going on guys!? MattyBrollic here! (lol my YouTube intro) Check out my channel by the way! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdlKBWatTsJpyOdK7gtcehw

All joking aside, I have what I believe is a solid balance team for y'all! Both Ox the Fox and I made it together for a tournament, and we decided to make an RMT together in light of its great success! Recently, balance has not been as consistent a play style as it usually is. HOWEVER, I believe this team is solid and can win against most match ups! Before I start, though I would like to give a shout out to Prince Python and his RMT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/legend-mega-kazam-bulky-offense-1750.3534992/ .... We happen to have the exact same Pokemon, but I can assure you that Ox and I made it from scratch, the sets are quite different, and that the teams perform much differently as a whole. Try to keep in mind that we built this on our own and that even if it may resemble other teams you may have seen, it is still our own. With all of that mumbo jumbo out of the way, let's get into the team! Hope you enjoy! =]

BALANCE. IS. NOT. DEAD.

The Team

Mega Alakazam

-
Mega Alakazam is in my opinion, one of the best megas in OU. It's incredibly fast, powerfull, and has amazing coverage. It's magic guard ability in its base form is very useful since it allows Alakazam to avoid being worn down by hazards until it mega evolves. It naturally out speeds nearly everything in OU including many scarfers, and it is VERY difficult for offensive and even balanced teams to switch into. On top of being powerful and hard to revenge kill, it gains the ability Trace upon mega evolution which enables it to copy the abilities of and out speed Swift Swim and Sand Rush users such as Kingdra and Excadrill respectively. It may be frail, but the benefits of using Mega Alakazam severely outweigh any downsides.
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore/Protect - Encore is necessary to beat stall, while Protect is generally better vs. offense.
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

- This sets allows Mega Alakazam to out speed the majority of the meta game after mega evolution and still hit hard with virtually non-resisted coverage.
- Encore is the preferred option over Protect since Alakazam can shut down set up sweepers and a lot of bulky threats that may otherwise be able to wall it. HOWEVER, Protect can be very useful against more offensive teams since it allows Alakazam to safely mega evolve on faster threats such as Swift Swim and Sand Rush Pokemon, Mega Lopunny, Mega Manectric, and Mega Sceptile. It also allows Mega Zam to avoid getting worn down by Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham's Fake Outs.

Slowbro

A fellow generation 1 Psychic type. Slowbro is very hard to take down with it's excellent defensive typing, physical bulk, and ability Regenerator which recovers 33% of its HP whenever it switches out. Ox and I felt that the Calm Mind variant is very underrated since it can set up on a lot of threats, has reliable recovery in slack off, and has access to the move psyshock which allows it to deal with other Calm Minders such as Clefable, Suicune, and Manaphy, and also Chansey. Unlike other Calm Minders like Suicune, Slowbro is almost always very useful in matches thanks to its typing that grants it with extremely useful resistances, and dual stabs backed by a decently high special attack stat even when unboosted.
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Scald (Thunder Wave is an option if you're REALLY paranoid of Charizard X)

The EV spread allows Slowbro to set up more easily with a little extra Special Defense investment while still retaining massive physical bulk. I put 4 EVs in Speed because I get very paranoid about speed but that can easily be placed elsewhere. Scald is very spammable, Psyshock gets past dedicated special walls, Keldeo, Venusaur, etc. Thuner Wave isn't recommended since dual stab CM Bro is a great win condition but it can certainly check Charizard X better that way.

Ferrothorn

I don't like using this Pokemon, but I can't deny that it's good. Ferrothorn is generally a nice check to dangerous set-up sweepers such as Mega Altaria and Mega Gyarados, as well as a plethora of other threats including but certainly not limited to Raikou, Hippowdon, Weavile, Starmie, bulky water types, Non-HP Fire Lati@s and Mega Diancie, and Azumarill without Superpower. Ferrothorn's primary job is to set up Spikes, keep a lot of offensive mons in check, and widdle opposing teams down with its powerful dual stabs and Leech Seed.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

- The spread is very standard and can probably be somewhat optimized. I believe that this is the all around most useful Ferrothorn set at the moment therefore I recommend keeping this set. However, other good options are Thunder Wave, Protect, and Knock Off.

Heatran

Damn; I wish Heatran actually looked that cool. Heatran Synergizes incredibly well with the rest of the team, sets up Stealth Rocks easily and multiple times a game, and is just a very well rounded Pokemon that can be used to check a large portion of the meta game. Tran is fantastic answer to Bulky Scizor, Ferrothorn, Serperior, Manectric, Raikou, and more. Also, the combination of Heatran + Ferrothorn checks basically all relevant forms of Lati@s. With Lava Plume + Toxic + Protect, Heatran can easily weaken the opposition.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

The EV spread is to ensure that Heatran out speeds max speed adamant Azumarill while investing heavily into its HP and Special Defense. Protect + Toxic + Hazards is usually optimal for wearing teams down and allowing other mons to sweep, but Heatran's move pool is INSANELY versatile and can be easily customized to your liking.

Keldeo

I wish Keldeo looked like that as well. The team is pretty weak to Weavile, especially if you choose to run encore on Alakazam. Bisharp is also a huge threat. Alas, we slapped on a Keldeo to keep the aforementioned threats at bay while punching major holes into the opposition with Keldeo's incredible dual stabs. We didn't use a very standard Keldeo set though. We decided to use a Life Orb/Mystic Water/Wide Lens Rest-Talk set with dual stabs. Keldeo's stab coverage is so good and scald is so broken that it doesn't need coverage options most of the time. If Bisharp and Weavile or other mons that threaten the team such as Scizor or Heatran get a little out of hand, you can always rest up making it more difficult for the aforementioned threats to really bust through the team. Keldeo also appreciates a Life Orb/Mystic Water/ Wide Lens since it enables it to hit like a truck while not having to play mind games with mons such as Landorus and Ferrothorn.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb/Mystic Water/Wise Glasses
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This set is almost definitely best for this team and I highly recommend that you don't change it unless you actively enjoy losing to Bisharp and/or Weavile. Mystic Water and Wise Glasses allow Keldeo to hit slightly harder while being able to bluff choice items and avoid Life Orb recoil. All of those items work pretty well.

Gliscor

Here we have Specially Defensive Swords Dance Gliscor to round out the squad. It is our only ground immunity which makes it vital in checking Landorus-Therian, Excadrill, and non-Swords Dance Garchomp. Gliscor is also the team's most reliable check to Gengar. Swords Dance Gliscor also breaks most stall Pokemon with the exceptions of unaware Clefable, Quagsire, and Choiced Gothitelle with Trick. Gliscor may not be the most useful in some games, but it can always be used as a back up check to mons like Taunt + Will-o-Wisp Talonflame, Bisharp, Lati@s, and Mega Diancie.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance/Taunt
- Roost
- Earthquake/Swords Dance
- Knock Off/Facade

This set uses max spdf and enough hp for a poison heal number to optimize bulk. With this spread, Gliscor can take a Life Orb Draco Meteor from Latios 100% of the time even after Stealth Rocks and Roost off the damage. Knock Off is the preferred option because it does better against stall, and removing items is generally very useful. However, Facade is an option for more power and it can hit non-grounded Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Rotom-W harder. Taunt is another option to shut down spike stacking teams and help break stall.

Conclusion

This team has produced a very good deal of success in a short amount of time. Ox won Smogon Tour with it himself, and my friend and well known tournament player PDC peaked the top of the ladder with it. I personally haven't competed as seriously lately due to time constraints, but I have not lost a single game with it in over 15 battles. Obviously, the team is not perfect, but it can certainly succeed in the right hands. I sincerely hope that you all enjoy using this team, and I also hope that it will provide a solid template for all players looking to build balance teams.
- Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to check out this RMT! Have a fantastic day! =]

REPLAYS

Replays Ox's Week 1 Smogon Tour Run:

A Tournament Replay of Mine:

My Upload on PDC's Channel:

PROOF OF PDC's PEAK

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Keldeo @ Mystic Water
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any of the art used in this post. All art belongs to their respective owners.

Last edited:
This looks like a really cool team! Might try it out some time.

On your Gliscor, you said "the rest are dumped into HP and Special Defense" but on the EV spread, it says that the EVs are in Defense. (EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe)

Mind adding an importable of the team bro? :]

Edit: Forgot to mention haha, grats on your peak and smogtour win!

Last edited:
Hey bro, really, really solid team. Theres not much to suggest since you basically covered everything in the RMT, but heres a few things I feel will help you;

Zam, Slowbro, Heatran and Keldeo should all run 0 Atk IVs, just to lessen Foul Play & Confusion damage. 248 HP may also be optimal on Slowbro to lessen residual damage such as hazards and status

I'd also try running a bit more speed on Heatran. 240 I believe is the right amount, to outrun invested Scizor. Does cut away from the bulk, but I feel its important since your main check to it, Keldeo, will go down to +2 Superpower, or a combination of Bug Bite+Bullet Punch after some prior damage

Other than that, really solid team bro! =]

Hey bro, really, really solid team. Theres not much to suggest since you basically covered everything in the RMT, but heres a few things I feel will help you;

Zam, Slowbro, Heatran and Keldeo should all run 0 Atk IVs, just to lessen Foul Play & Confusion damage. 248 HP may also be optimal on Slowbro to lessen residual damage such as hazards and status

I'd also try running a bit more speed on Heatran. 240 I believe is the right amount, to outrun invested Scizor. Does cut away from the bulk, but I feel its important since your main check to it, Keldeo, will go down to +2 Superpower, or a combination of Bug Bite+Bullet Punch after some prior damage

Other than that, really solid team bro! =]
Very good point on the Attack IVs and also a good point on Tran. I considered that myself but I haven't run into Scizor troubles just yet. Nonetheless, I still may make that change! =]

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
From now on I'll infract any triple post from the OP or any useless post like "lol bro n1 peak hehe". You've been warned.

PS: And no one cares if it looks like someone else's team, all these teams look like teams that have been used 3 years ago in BW anyway. Standard teams are standard, get over it.

p2

Banned deucer.
There's really not much to say about this team because it looks really solid, but have you considered Chople Berry > Leftovers on Ferrothorn? Opposing Alakazams and Mega Gardevoir look like they can mess up your team pretty badly and Chople Berry just allows Ferro to take a Focus Blast then OHKO them with Gyro Ball.

Cool stuff though

I think you could use some more sdef on slowbro, I've been using 240 hp/216 def/52 sdef and it's really good. tanks all the physical shit you want it to while being way harder to break on the special side, I remember one game where gardevoir's hyper voice did less than half after a cm. plus you don't have to be in utterly pristine shape to slack on latios and switching into keld hydro doesn't sting as much which is a big deal since it's your sole counter.

I would consider taunt over sd on glis, it similarly fucks with other defense while not conceding hazards to hippo/skarm/ferro and the less spikes you have to deal with the better. its main issue tends to be getting switch stalled but you have spikes of your own so I don't think that's an issue. also I find speed on it worthless and max sdef does some truly incredible things - you can switch into bulky starmie by the skin of your teeth which can help you avoid ferro getting burned, and you can ever so slightly check voir/zam so that's worth trying. roosting on rotom-w becomes easier as well.

Lastly you should give timid tran a shot so offensive mega zor doesn't tear you to shreds. you can also sr/toxic/kill a weakened mew before it taunts/roosts and outrun gross pre-mega. if you run taunt, you make custap skarm your bitch.

nice team gl

I think you could use some more sdef on slowbro, I've been using 240 hp/216 def/52 sdef and it's really good. tanks all the physical shit you want it to while being way harder to break on the special side, I remember one game where gardevoir's hyper voice did less than half after a cm. plus you don't have to be in utterly pristine shape to slack on latios and switching into keld hydro doesn't sting as much which is a big deal since it's your sole counter.

I would consider taunt over sd on glis, it similarly fucks with other defense while not conceding hazards to hippo/skarm/ferro and the less spikes you have to deal with the better. its main issue tends to be getting switch stalled but you have spikes of your own so I don't think that's an issue. also I find speed on it worthless and max sdef does some truly incredible things - you can switch into bulky starmie by the skin of your teeth which can help you avoid ferro getting burned, and you can ever so slightly check voir/zam so that's worth trying. roosting on rotom-w becomes easier as well.

Lastly you should give timid tran a shot so offensive mega zor doesn't tear you to shreds. you can also sr/toxic/kill a weakened mew before it taunts/roosts and outrun gross pre-mega. if you run taunt, you make custap skarm your bitch.

nice team gl
Great suggestions, very helpful. I have considered more sp def on slowbro, I may give it a try since I can't think of too many relevant physical attackers that can 2hko barring maybe banded Azu. I ran a little speed on gliscor to outspeed a potential + speed ice beam Ttar but that set is extremely uncommon so max Sp Def looks very promising. As far as taunt goes, I will slash it as an option since sometims SD is incredibly useful but sometimes Gliscor is my least useful member and it would be a bit more useful with taunt. I probably will actually go with a timid bulky Tran as it can still check a lot defensively due to its great typing and the teams overall good synergy as well as do a lot of the things you mentioned!

Thanks a lot for the rate, it helped a ton! =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)