SS OU Balanced Team RMT

Hey all it's my first time making an RMT and I was hoping you could all give me comments on this first attempt at a balance team.

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Here is the main attacker of the team. His role is quite self-explanatory. Four attacks are there to simply demolish everything in its path. Icicle crash is for STAB and to murder the likes of Hydreigon and Dragapult. Earthquake is there to take care of Cinderace, Aegislash and Toxtricity. Flare Blitz is there to kill Ferrothorn and other Darmanitans. U-turn is there to gain momentum. Choice scarf allows him to deal with faster Mons namely Cinderace, Hydreigon, Dragapult and several others. It's been working pretty effectively as a late-game sweeper especially with dynamax punishing any opposing Pokemon that have been properly wittled down.

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze
- Strength Sap
- Night Shade

The core pivot of the team that switches in in case any of my team encounters any threatening mons. Will-o-wisp is there to obviously cripple physical attackers and deal passive damage to tanky mons with no recovery such as Seismitoad. Haze is there to prevent Pokemon such as Gyarados, Hatterene and Hawlucha from setting up. Strength Sap is there to punish any physical attackers that try to take advantage of Corsola's relatively low defense compared to its SpDef. Night Shade is there to deal damage without worrying about Corsola's poor attacking stats.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off

Mandibuzz is here due to its ability to check a lot of the Pokemon that act as major threats to my team namely Bisharp, Cinderace and Dragapult. Its high bulk allow it to take at least one hit before dying, poisoning the opposing mon or defogging the hazards hindering my team. Knock Off is here to take out really annoying items such as Corsola's Eviolite and Toxapex's Black Sludge. Toxic is here to prevent Pokemon from setting up too much. Toxic also threatens walls such as Corsola from stalling too much. Roost allows Mandibuzz to recover and in some instances stall Dynamax. Heavy Duty Boots allow Mandibuzz to safely enter into battle without worrying about the 1/4 decrease in health from Stealth Rock.

Some notable calcs that prove Mandibuzz's ability to check certain threats in the Meta:

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Mandibuzz: 258-304 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mandibuzz: 285-336 (67.2 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Hatterene Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Mandibuzz: 248-294 (58.4 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although they don't show Mandibuzz's ability to fully counter said threats, the calcs show that Mandibuzz really can take some hits before pulling off a Toxic or Defog.

Rotom-Heat @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Rotom-H as a solid counter to Darmanitan due to Levitate and its solid typing resisting Ice, Bug and Fire. Thunderbolt and Volt Switch act as a counter Pokemon such as Gyarados and Togekiss, preventing them from setting up. Volt Switch allows Rotom to gain momentum when it suddenly meets up with an unfavorable matchup such as Tyranitar or another Rotom. Overheat act as Rotom's main STAB OHKOing Ferrothorn, Darmanitan and Excadrill. Focus Sash allows Rotom to dish out a hit towards Mons that would normally KO Rotom, most notably, Focus Sash Excadrill. Thunder Wave is the move I just added in for filler since Will-o-Wisp was taken by Corsola. I honestly find it interchangeable with Will-o-Wisp, but Thunder Wave does allow Rotom to paralyze certain foes such as Togekiss, Hydreigon and Dragapult, allowing for Darmanitan to properly dispose of them.

Here are some calcs showing Rotom-H's ability to wittle down foes with its moves:
252 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Hatterene: 142-168 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom-Heat Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 93-111 (30.5 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Although it doens't OHKO certain mons, it leaves them weakened into a state where they can easily get revenge killed or pressured to switch out.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD

Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Clear Smog

A lot of Pokemon in the meta run Scald or any water type move. Fishous Rend Dracovish is another addition, threatening a lot of the Pokemon in my team when it is on Choice Scarf. Gastrodon allows me to play mind games with the opponent, especially those using Rain Teams. I can send in Rotom-H as a lead to often lure in Seismitoad or other water-type users to launch a Water move which would raise Gastrodon's Special Attack upon switch in. Gastrodon's solid typing also makes it a perfect Check to Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Excadrill, Dragapult and even Life Orb Clefable. It's only major weakness is Ferrothorn who can be appropriately handled by Rotom and Darmanitan with no trouble at all. Gastrodon's Earth Power and Scald act as STAB to take on the likes of Dracovish, Clefable, Togekiss and more with the boost from Storm Drain. Clear Smog allows Gastrodon to punish Pokemon from using Dynamax and setting up such as Gyarados and Hatterene. Recover is quite self-explanatory as it allows Gastrodon to heal up and stall certain Dynamax or poisoned Pokemon. I choose Gastrodon over Seismitoad in this regard as he gets a special attack boost from Storm Drain. Moreover, the roles Seismitoad could have filled such as a Rock Setter or Toxic Attacker have been taken by Ferrothorn and Mandibuzz respectively.

Here are some calcs that show Gastrodon's ability to be a suitable wall on my team:
252 SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 152+ SpD Gastrodon: 148-175 (34.8 - 41.1%) -- 68.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Gastrodon: 199-235 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hatterene Psychic vs. 248 HP / 152+ SpD Gastrodon in Psychic Terrain: 340-402 (80 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Last, but definitely not the least is Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn's Power Whip and Gyro Ball act as his STABs for Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Rotom-W and Seismitoad. Leech Seed punishes certain Pokemon for attempting to switch into Ferrothorn. Leech Seed also allows Ferrothorn to take an advantage in stall battles such as non-Substitute Corviknight, Toxapex and even Corsola PP stall (though this barely happens). Stealth Rock is there to to damage Pokemon such as Togekiss and Darmanitan for switching in. Ferrothorn's Rocky Helmet combined with Iron Barbs allow it to become an effective suicide lead in some instances dealing massive amounts of indirect damage to Close Combat Barraskewda, Flare Blitz Darmanitan and Drain Punch Conkeldurr. Ferrothorn's natural bulk and typing allow it to resist STAB moves from Hydreigon, Dragapult, Dracovish and Excadrill while setting up hazards and Leech Seed for extra utility (though Fire Blast on the first two are a big NO for Ferrothorn, so I normally just use Ferrothorn as a check).

Final Notes and Summary:

Darmanitan is the all-out attacker that deals massive damage to threats such as Ferrothorn, Dragons and Cinderace. Choice Scarf allows him to guarantee the kill.

Corsola is the main pivot having a weakness to Dark and Ghost and a remarkable bulk (especially on the special side). It can cripple physical threats with strength sap and will-o-wisp while dealing decent damage with Night Shade.

Mandibuzz poisons stall mons and Knocks Off pokemon that rely heavily on items such as Corsola's eviolite and Hatterene's Aguav Berry. She also acts as a good pivot and check to pokemon such as Excadrill, Cinderace and Ferrothorn.

Rotom-H acts as the Darmanitan counter and wittles down certain threats with its STAB moves for Darmanitan to revenge kill. Volt switch allow it to gain momentum.

Gastrodon tricks Water pokemon into giving it a free Sp. Atk boost while also dealing with set-up Pokemon with Clear Smog. It is able to do decent damage with its STAB Earth Power and Scald. It is also a good check for a lot of Pokemon in the meta with the exception of Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn acts as the rock setter and leech seeder. It takes care of water types with Power Whip.

Here is a replay of this team, though note that in the reply, Rotom-H still used a Rest, Will-o-Wisp set instead of TWave and Thunderbolt and Focus Sash. The following replay also has a Gastrodon with max SpDef EVs and no Defense EV:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1022582412

Here is another replay I just got now, the only problem is my opponent used Focus Punch on Darm so results may or may not have varied:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1022709107

Certain teams that have beat me usually have the following threats:

LO Clefable with Moonblast and Flamethrower (sometimes)
TR Hatterene with Draining Kiss
Substitute Cramorant

Last edited:
Hello GindarasonPillows !
While looking at your team, I just had some ideas on how the team could be improved. I never actually played with a balance team whatsoever, as I generally play with Rain or Trick Room teams, so changing the team was a bit tricky, but here are the changes and the explanation of why I want these changes to be made-

Major changes-

:corsola galar:-->:Hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
First and foremost, the team was way too passive and the only Pokemon that can do serious damage was Galarian Darmanitan, so I replaced Galarian Corsola with Hydreigon. It provides the team the much needed offensive presence and its also synergies very well with Galarian Darmanitan offensively. Hydreigon is a fantastic balance breaker with this set, as it finds many opportunities to setup on passive Pokemon, such as Toxapex and Galarian Corsola.

:Mandibuzz:-->:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Body Press
- Roost
The team was very weak to Excadrill at this point, and knowing that how common that Pokemon is, I had to replace Mandibuzz with Corviknight. It gives you a way to check the Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Dragapult while still providing Defog support. It also gives you a great Fairy-type check while giving you a better Stall matchup, as it Pressure stalls the opponent with the combination of its ability and Roost.

:gastrodon:-->:clefable:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Moonlight
At this point, Fighting-type Pokemon gives the team a lot of trouble, since Corsola is removed from the team now. So, Clefable is used as it adds a solid Fighting-type check while also checking Dragon-types in general. Gastrodon's role was to check Rain teams but Ferrothorn is usually enough to check that. Offensive Clefable can also catch people off guard, as most clefable are running defensive sets.
Note that using Clefable is completely optional as it makes the team less rain proof. In that case, Dragapult should be used instead of Hydreigon to better check Fighting-type Pokemon.

Minor changes-

:rotom heat:
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt / Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
The team was still weak to opposing Galarian Darmanitan, and Rotom-H was not checking that with the current set. This Rotom-H set provides the team with a reliable opposing Darmanitan check while making a solid VoltTurn core with Darmanitan. Will-O-Wisp is used as the utility move of choice to cripple physically offensive Pokemon, but Thunder Wave can also be used here. Also, Nasty Plot is an option to better pressure more bulkier teams.

:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
Ferrothorn is a good check to Gyarados but Pokemon like Barraskewda and Drednaw usually run Fighting-type coverage to beat it. Chople Berry is used to check the aforementioned threats while still providing the utility Ferrothorn brings. Also, physically defensive Seismitoad can be used as a Stealth Rocker while providing better rain check, but it makes the team very weak to Power Whip Gyarados.

I hope that these changes might improve the team. Feel free to ask any question regarding the team. The final team with importable is down below-
:darmanitan galar::corviknight::hydreigon::rotom heat::clefable::ferrothorn:
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Body Press
- Roost

Clefable @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Moonlight

Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
:darmanitan galar::corviknight::dragapult::rotom heat::gastrodon::ferrothorn:
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Body Press
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Last edited:
Hello GindarasonPillows !
While looking at your team, I just had some ideas on how the team could be improved. I never actually played with a balance team whatsoever, as I generally play with Rain or Trick Room teams, so changing the team was a bit tricky, but here are the changes and the explanation of why I want these changes to be made-

Major changes-

:corsola galar:-->:Hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
First and foremost, the team was way too passive and the only Pokemon that can do serious damage was Galarian Darmanitan, so I replaced Galarian Corsola with Hydreigon. It provides the team the much needed offensive presence and its also synergies very well with Galarian Darmanitan offensively. Hydreigon is a fantastic balance breaker with this set, as it finds many opportunities to setup on passive Pokemon, such as Toxapex and Galarian Corsola.

:Mandibuzz:-->:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Body Press
- Roost
The team was very weak to Excadrill at this point, and knowing that how common that Pokemon is, I had to replace Mandibuzz with Corviknight. It gives you a way to check the Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Dragapult while still providing Defog support. It also gives you a great Fairy-type check while giving you a better Stall matchup, as it Pressure stalls the opponent with the combination of its ability and Roost.

:gastrodon:-->:clefable:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Moonlight
At this point, Fighting-type Pokemon gives the team a lot of trouble, since Corsola is removed from the team now. So, Clefable is used as it adds a solid Fighting-type check while also checking Dragon-types in general. Gastrodon's role was to check Rain teams but Ferrothorn is usually enough to check that. Offensive Clefable can also catch people off guard, as most clefable are running defensive sets.
Note that using Clefable is completely optional as it makes the team less rain proof. In that case, Dragapult should be used instead of Hydreigon to better check Fighting-type Pokemon.

Minor changes-

:rotom heat:
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
The team was still weak to opposing Galarian Darmanitan, and Rotom-H was not checking that with the current set. This Rotom-H set provides the team with a reliable opposing Darmanitan check while making a solid VoltTurn core with Darmanitan. Will-O-Wisp is used as the utility move of choice to cripple physically offensive Pokemon, but Thunder Wave can also be used here.

:Ferrothorn:
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
Ferrothorn is a good check to Gyarados but Pokemon like Barraskewda and Drednaw usually run Fighting-type coverage to beat it. Chople Berry is used to check the aforementioned threats while still providing the utility Ferrothorn brings.

I hope that these changes might improve the team. Feel free to ask any question regarding the team. The final team with importable is down below-
:darmanitan galar::corviknight::hydreigon::rotom heat::clefable::ferrothorn:
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Body Press
- Roost

Clefable @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Moonlight

Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
:darmanitan galar::corviknight::dragapult::rotom heat::gastrodon::ferrothorn:
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Body Press
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
Hey thanks so much for the feedback! I'll try these new additions out :)

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Hi! Wich item should I use on Hydreigon/Corviknight if I dont want to use double leftovers?

I’m new to competitive, but i think I will try this team on Pokémon Sword ranked singles, but I’m prety sureI can’t use the same item in more than one poke, right?

Last edited:
Hi! Wich item should I use on Hydreigon/Corviknight if I dont want to use double leftovers?

I’m new to competitive, but i think I will try this team on Pokémon Sword ranked singles, but I’m prety sureI can’t use the same item in more than one poke, right?
Rocky Helmet can be used on Corviknight, as it already has Roost to keep itself healthy and the Leftovers are kinda necessary on Hydreigon to recover some health, lost after using Substitute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)