LC Baltoy

[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to Baltoy's typing and Levitate, it not only resists Stealth Rock but is also immune to all other entry hazards, allowing it to remove said hazards without much trouble at all. Baltoy also gets Stealth Rock itself, allowing it to keep hazards off its side of the field while setting up its own, and Levitate makes it a great answer to Onix, a common Stealth Rock setter. However, Baltoy's defensive typing does it more harm than good, leaving it weak to several common attacking types as well as the omnipresent Knock Off. Its weak offensive stats and unhelpful Speed tier aren't doing it any favors either, and it's outclassed by Drilbur and Kabuto as a hazard setter and remover.

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Psychic
item: Berry Juice
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
Evs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 196 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
The goal of this set is to come in on passive Pokemon and spin away any entry hazards that might be on the field while also setting up its own. Unfortunately, Baltoy itself is incredibly passive and has a poor matchup against both common hazard setters like Pawniard and common hazard removers such as Snivy and Vullaby. Drilbur and Staryu are both much better choices for a Rapid Spinner due to their better offensive capabilities and lack of a Dark-type weakness.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Mega-Pokebattlerz, 282306]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend, 208173], [Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[frostration, 447027]]

Last edited:
Amcheck time (not an official QC check)
Overview:
Delete the first sentence "To be fair, Baltoy at first seems like a decent Rapid Spin user. " since this doesn't really add anything. Start off by saying what baltoy's few good points are (able to remove hazards and set stealth rocks, levitate, reasonably good defensive stats, resistance to fighting). Then describe its bad points (bad defensive typing, weakness to the common Knock Off, poor offensive stats, unhelpful speed tier). After that say what outclasses it (obviously drilbur, i guess kabuto does and maybe even archen).

This section should be written "passively" like you've done for set comments, so don't use "you". So instead of "You're better off running drilbur" put "Baltoy is outclassed by Drilbur as a hazard setter and remover". If in doubt, look at completed analyses to see what i mean.

Set:
Looks fine, might want to swap some spdef evs for hp for better bulk but i haven't used this thing so i'm not sure on that

Set comments:
Better writing style. Maybe give examples of moves that baltoy is weak to.

Edit: Looking better now, overview's a bit long now though.
"allowing it to remove said hazards without any trouble at all (unless your opponent switches in a Ghost-type)"
"Outside of the Fighting and Rock resistances " immunity to ground is worth a mention
"If you want a Pokemon that can both set up and remove hazards, use Drilbur or Kabuto." rephrase to say they outclass baltoy

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Generally you probably don't want to implement an AM check as it might be more work for you, and it also makes it harder to check the quality of the AM check. It was fine in this instance though, so that's nice!

Okay, this is too wordy for what the pseudo is suppose to be. I'm going to tell you to remove stuff more than anything.

[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to Baltoy's typing and Levitate ability [Remove.], it not only resists Stealth Rock but is also immune to all other entry hazards, allowing it to remove said hazards without any [Remove.] much [Add.] trouble at all (unless your opponent switches in a Ghost-type) [Remove.]. Baltoy also gets Stealth Rock itself, allowing it to keep hazards off its side of the field while setting up its own. Its nice defenses and Fighting resistance also make it seem like a solid pick for the LC metagame, but unfortunately that isn't the case. [Remove.] Outside of the Fighting and Rock resistances, [Remove.] Baltoy's defensive typing does it more harm than good, leaving it weak to several common attacking types as well as the omnipresent Knock Off. Its weak offensive stats and unhelpful Speed tier aren't doing it any favors, either. If you want a Pokemon that can both set up and remove hazards, use Drilbur, Staryu [Add.] or Kabuto.

[SET]
move 3: Earth Power Earthquake [Remove.]
move 4: Psychic Recycle [Remove.]
nature: Impish

[SET COMMENTS]
The goal of this set is to come in on passive Pokemon and spin away any hazards that might be on the field, while also setting up its own. Unfortunately, Baltoy itself is incredibly passive and many Pokemon in Little Cup carry moves that it is weak to, namely Knock Off and Pursuit. Drilbur or Staryu [Add.] is a much better choice for a Rapid Spinner due to its better offensive capabilities and lack of a Dark weakness.

QC: 1/2

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oops I totally didn't think about that when I wanted it added for consistency. Don't add the Staryu mention in the Overview then, but do add it in the Set Details please.
Thanks man!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
[OVERVIEW]
This is a sentence longer than I'd like, try to fold some of the last two sentences in so you end up with 3 total if possible. Mention somewhere that Baltoy is an excellent answer to the common Stealth Rock setter Onix.

[SET]
sure

[SET COMMENTS]
Replace this second sentence with one explaining that Baltoy is fairly passive and has a poor matchup against common entry hazard setters like Pawniard and entry hazard removers like (pick two of Snivy, Staryu, Vullaby).

[CREDITS]
good

I'm a little sad this isn't Grassium but c'est la vie. 2/2

frostration

i probably have a headache
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to Baltoy's typing and Levitate, it not only resists Stealth Rock but is also immune to all other entry hazards, allowing it to remove said hazards without much trouble at all. Baltoy also gets Stealth Rock itself, allowing it to keep hazards off its side of the field while setting up its own, and Levitate makes it a great answer to Onix, a common Stealth Rock setter. However, Baltoy's defensive typing does it more harm than good, leaving it weak to several common attacking types as well as the omnipresent Knock Off. Its weak offensive stats and unhelpful Speed tier aren't doing it any favors either, and it's outclassed by Drilbur and Kabuto as a hazard setter and remover.

[SET]
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Psychic
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
The goal of this set is to come in on passive Pokemon and spin away any entry hazards that might be on the field [RC] while also setting up its own. Unfortunately, Baltoy itself is incredibly passive and has a poor matchup against both common hazard setters like Pawniard and common hazard removers such as Snivy and Vullaby. Drilbur and Staryu are both much better choices for a Rapid Spinner due to their better offensive capabilities and lack of a Dark-type weakness.
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)