Gen 1 Ban Mewtwo to Anything Goes

I know no-one really cares about this, but oh well

So recently the Ubers room on PS had a poll asking which "king" of each generation was the best or something (idk if it's still up), with Mewtwo being listed as the king of both gen 1 and 2. This bothered me for two reasons- the first is that I honestly think Mewtwo's only the third best pokemon in GSC (behind Lax and Mew), never mind being the king. The second is that I firmly believe RBY Mewtwo is on par with MRay, and should be banned accordingly- it's just I never really said anything about it because who cares lol.

Anyway RBY M2's effects on the game are nothing short of extreme. It has literally no reliable counters, and most of its checks get ripped to shreds if it has the right coverage move. The only option for playing around it without resorting to your own M2 is literally to constantly threaten it with Explosion, which requires paralysis support and something to revenge kill it since it's likely to live any given explosion, while causing some battles to consist of explosion mindgames and little else (also Barrier M2 completely counters this playstyle). Furthermore, it massively restricts the number of worthwhile pokemon- basically every team consists of M2, Mew, Egg, two of Lax/Chans/Bro and either a Gengar or Jynx as a lead (arguably Zap can be thrown in there, but I dispute that). Literally every other option that might be "usable" has basically no function other than to be contrarian. But what of M2 dittos? Well boy that's a load of fun, because they generally consist of nothing but PP stall.

Basically I don't consider RBY Ubers in its current state playable, whereas Mewbers, while broken, is not so far gone that it's unplayable (which you'd expect from ubers). Would it look funny with ubers only having one pokemon different? Sure. But let's be real, it looks funny regardless.

Anyway, I don't seriously expect this to go anywhere because I'm assuming that a) people would rather not touch this kind of thing and more importantly b) it's not really of much concern. Hell, I don't really care if this leads to anything. I just felt like putting it on the record

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Me and others have fun playing it.

Yes, Mewbers probably suffers from not having the 'Ubers' name attached to it, but I'd rather Ubers be as inclusive as possible, with you being free to popularize its variants. Some people clearly want to play with Mewtwo with clauses, so banning Mewtwo on PS would just be frustrating in my opinion, when it's easier just to not bring Mewtwo if you want to play the Mewbers tier. Don't let an Ubers of an Ubers (which isn't Anything Goes) be created.

I think there is an argument that tournaments that include Ubers tiers should think about the exact variant though (banning pokemon).

I've had an 80% win ratio with mostly using a team without an Exeggutor and with a Zapdos, so I don't think that team formula you stated is encompassing enough.

Mewtwo can't really win a game all on its own. It can beat another Mewtwo and Chansey though, especially if their sets are wrong.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)