Bass Guitar is serverly underrated....

Do you think bass is underated?

• Yes.

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • No.

Votes: 23 32.9%

• Total voters
Do any of you guys think so? Why does everyone hate it so much? Being a bass player myself, it makes me (and im pretty sure other bassists) feel less important in a band than people feel already.

I do think the bass is underrated. It is background to a song, so it's going to be noticed less. But just imagine the Jaws theme without the bass. It's not very good now is it? Bass is critical, and I do too believe it is underrated.

I've just started playing bass, and am looking for any tips!
Im trying to teach myself slap bass, but if anyone has any website or tips they can give me that would be fantastic!

Not many people like the bass. Simple because it can't do wicked solos like lead guitars. Without the bass most songs aren't as good and tend to "fall apart". But us bassists shouldn't feel left out. Bassists are hard to find lol.

You can't be the center of attention while staying in the background. Honestly, what do you expect? While the bass is just as "important" as the other instruments in a song, it draws less attention than others (vocals, guitar, etc)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love the bass, it has got to be one of my favorite instruments. I am considering actually picking it up.

Bass gets forgotten easily in shitty rock music (like blink 182) that seems to get lots of attention anyways.
Gen. Empoleon said:
I love the bass, it has got to be one of my favorite instruments. I am considering actually picking it up.
Go for it :)

Me on bass.

That was forever ago and I've gotten much better since then. I haven't uploaded any new vids in a long time either.

Anyways, I think bass is underrated mainly in the genres where nobody cares about the bass anyways, like death metal/screamo/etc. When you get into a crowd that likes jazz or funk, then you begin to realize that a lot of people really do listen for it and realize that it can make or break a song. It's definitely a lot of fun playing, and I've gotten tons of band invitations but haven't really found one yet that holds any promise. For anybody who plans on picking up bass learn your theory, at least the basic stuff. I'm also happy to talk about playing or whatever if anybody wants help with slap/theory/etc.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, bassists are underrated, but I have one name for you: Mordock from Gorillas. Probably one of my favorite bassists, right behind Mark Morton of Lamb of God. Those guys rip.

The bass truly is a great instrument to listen to, provided it is an important contributor to the overall music of a band. To be honest, I do like guitar better than the bass, but I have respect for both instruments. However, with the knowledge of vocals and guitars standing out moreso than the bass, a part of the background, there's really nothing to blame if bassists don't stand out as much.

Just try to listen to "Immigrant Song" or "Black Dog" by Led Zep without the kickass bass riff in the background...the songs aren't 50% as good then.

I'll second the sentiments about bass being underrated but just as important.

Not many people like the bass. Simple because it can't do wicked solos like lead guitars.
You should listen to John Entwhistle's crazy bass solos with the Who...

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Come to htink of it though, Bass is only a huge aspect in the rock and rap (sorta) genres. I mean, listen to the bass in nearly any country song; two notes played for the entire song. A deaf person could keep in time and sound great (no offense).

EDIT: and the ones listed below. I was talking mainstream music. >_>

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bass is a supporting instrument. It ensures there's rhythm; there's very little stuff where the bass is leading the rest of the band. The only thing I would like is that producers learn to put bass somewhat higher in the mix because often guitars drown it out.

I've played bass twice for my band (I am usually relegated to bass when we can't get anyone else - I usually sing or play 2nd guitar). I can see why not many people like it - it is a 'boring' instrument. However, the drummer and bassist work in a pair, if either stuffs up the whole band stuffs up (it is quite easy to play even when your guitarist misses a note).

Bass is underrated, but not terribly.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's reason enough for the bass to be a very important instrument, and shouldn't be overlooked. (I used to play bass too.)
Don't think I underrate the bass. I just think that in terms of melody, it's less important to hear as obviously as, say, lead guitar or synth melody. The bass needs to be able to be heard and provide a foundation for other things, but you don't want the bass to overpower everything else.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, the bass guitar is rarely associated with melody. There are songs like, for example, 'Bones' by Radiohead, where the guitars accompany the bass instead of the reverse, but they are few and far between.

As Thorns says, the bass guitar usually pairs up with the drummer to provide the rhythm to the song, and if either of them messes up, the song usually becomes fucked up. It makes you look very bad when you mess up, but you rarely make yourself look good when you don't. :(

Kim Deal should be reason enough to appreciate bass.
"Here comes your man" easily has one of the greatest rock basslines ever.

The problem is, the bass is an underrated instrument because in the vast majority, rock basslines are absolute shit, consisting of little more than fluctuating between 2 sets of solid 8th notes.

However, in a genre like funk, the bass really shines, and can even outplay the guitar.

that's ironic, I need a bassist for my band, and I was thinking how i only know 1 bass player... I also need a drummer, but no one wants to join my band ='[

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Anyone who knows the slightest bit about music doesn't underrate the bass guitar.
Ugh, you asshole. The entire time I was scrolling through the thread those were the EXACT words in my head that I wanted to post.

Not everyone will enjoy Primus, but if you're looking for a band where the guitar accompanies the bass you won't find a better example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)