Baton Pass: My first OU team (Now Updated!)

Now Updated! Changes made to Vaporeon, Scizor, Ninjask and Lucario. Removed Metagross completely. Updates will be in bold blue.

Been lurking around Smogon and reading articles for a while, and recently just started trying to create my own team after mixing and matching different Analysis Sets to make 'teams'. My apologies in advance if i've made some error, it's my first RMT and i'd like any advice i could get.

There were only two goals to this team: Beat Blissey in OU, and don’t use pinch berries. I can’t stand using Salac, Petaya, etc; I don’t like being that low in health to be at risk of being revenge killed. That meant only one thing: Use physically based pokemon, and Swords Dance like there’s no tomorrow!

Okay, there's a third goal i should've mention the first time round: I don't like long chains. This team is meant to streamline the Baton Pass chain down to the simplest possible form, and hopefully the shortest, time-wise. That's not to say i won't Ingrain, but i'm ruling out boosting the special side, so that I can set up Lucario as quick as possible. Attack and Speed Boosts are the main priority. Sorry i didn't mention this earlier. If anyone cares to prove (with evidence!) that this is a bad concept, go for it. I'm open to changes.

At a glance:

Team Building:

Ninjask. I’d thought about a Lead version, but suicide leads are too prevalent, so I relegated this and found a new lead.

Smeargle. What else do i have to say? It's Baton Pass, and Smeargle is a necessity. I can't believe i forgot that when first building this team...

I chose Lucario next for its resist to Stealth Rock, immunity to Sandstorm and immunity to Poison, to try and make up for anything that slipped by Metagross. It was a bit too frail, though, and I threw in a wall for good measure after it.

Vaporeon I just stole off the analysis page, it seemed a good wall, and acted as my Substitute user. I figured I’d use the sub to let other pokemon set up some defenses.

In came Scizor for the Defense boosts, and the chain was basically done. I wanted to make the last pokemon specially based, though, for safety’s sake in case I ever needed it.

Jolteon: Originally Zapdos, but I played around with the team and found I needed an Electric pokemon that was immune to electric itself and faster than Starmie (which almost swept the team when Zapdos was still around).

In Depth:

Ninjask (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/6 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
---
Lead, due to popular demand. The first three moves really the most obvious Ninjask moveset that needs little explanation. In most cases, though, I can get a Swords Dance up quickly while my opponent switches to an appropriate counter, thanks to Metagross exploding. I run X-Scissor as the final move on this set for fear of Taunt, so that I still have something to attack with. The original moveset used Substitute instead, but it turned out that my Focus Sash was just too valuable.

Smeargle (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 252 Spd / 40 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ingrain
- Spore
- Spider Web
- Baton Pass

Well, does this one need clarification? Smeargle, trapper and sleep inducer, as suggested by NitroMetalHead (thanks a lot!) Shed Shell just in case of Taunt, rest is self explanatory.

Scizor (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/88 Atk/172 Spd/2 SDef (these are changed, can't recall off the top of my head, gimme a sec)
- Bullet Punch
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Iron Defense
---
By popular demand, now it's job is as a Ninjask stunt double, hence the bulkier spread and inclusion of Swords Dance. Bullet punch can also be useful for when I have a good chain going, to act as a revenge killer. It also served as my revenge killer against Tyranitar for a time, though in hindsight that probably wasn’t the best role for it.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 128 HP/252 Def/128 Spd
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Aqua Ring
- Waterfall
---
The obligatory wall, I chose to use Vaporeon for the >101 HP substitutes. Aqua Ring + Leftovers allows for more survivability, and helps to alleviate the LO recoil my Lucario racks up during its final sweep. I originally used Surf for the extra Base Power, though it didn’t take long to realize my mistake, what with Ninjask’s Swords Dances adding to Waterfall’s power. Please, nobody tell me to use Surf + Calm nature. I know of Surf's higher BP, and Vaporeon's higher SpA, but that means nothing when my team is focused on Swords Dance passing! Waterfall gets the boost from Swords Dance, and that's enough to beat Surf any day. Wish is still an option, but again, for the sake of saving time, i've opted for Waterfall, as i'm not passing Special Defense boosts much anyways.

Jolteon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Spd/6 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
---
The one major change this team has had so far has been with Jolteon. Originally I went with a Zapdos, who carried my one and only fire attack, Heat Wave. Unfortunately, that left my team in a bad position against Starmie’s Electric/Ice/Water attacks, the worst of which against Vaporeon. Conveniently, that means my Vaporeon can act as a lure for electric attacks, to which my Jolteon can hopefully absorb. I do lose the fire attack on this team, but BoltBeam provides enough coverage to make up for the loss. Um, yeah. What can i say, i know most people hate this guy, but i personally find he is very useful for this team's intended play style. I find that Lucario acts more as a Mid-Game Sweeper due to the relatively short chain, and if Aqua Ring and Ingrain aren't both up to null LO Recoil, he has a habit of dying. Jolteon fits the bill for killing whatever's left, needing no boosts, and a nice surprise to anyone who sends in their physical wall, expecting my team to be all Physical. Substitute is useless, that i agree, Vaporeon is much better for that. Why i have it, i don't know. Someone tell me what to change that into. Baton pass is there just in case he does become part of the chain (which admittedly is only when i need an electric attack real bad, not likely). Again, that's up for changing too, if you guys think it'd help.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Extremespeed
---
Moves are purely for coverage and priority, and Life Orb for extra damage as this guy shouldn’t stick around too long anyways. The only issue I’ve had is that it’s my most reliable TTar counter (most of the time behind Vaporeon’s Sub when it switches in), which can mean it’s revealed too early in game, and leaves it too weak from LO Recoil to receive the boosts later. Now with Ice punch to make it totally Physical. I should mention he's meant to be out relatively fast, not really caring much for Defense boosts, just seeking to cause as much havoc as possible before dying and leaving the rest to Jolteon (hopefully after destroying all the special walls).

Final Thoughts:

Scizor. If anything needs to be changed, that definitely the pokemon that’s becoming a deadweight too often, and considering my TTar problems, I’m thinking I need some way to make him into a more reliable attacker, while keeping Iron Defense.
Other than that, after the change to Jolteon I’ve had some success with this team, the surprise factor really helps get free turns to set up. On the off chance I encounter another Baton Pass team (or the move I dread, Power Swap), I do find my team isn’t as fast at setting up as some others, but most of the time it does pretty well and I’m quite happy with it so far.

Scizor is good now. Bulkier and with Swords Dance helps a lot if something goes wrong early. Other than that, i expect a lot of raging about Jolteon and why he's there, etc. Thanks to everyone, this update is with all the help from everyone up to and including post #19.

Threats List:

Skarmory (Physical Wall stops my team really fast if I haven’t set up yet, though after +2 attack I can handle it a bit easier. Would be better if I still had Heat Wave, but alas, I don’t.)
Tyranitar (I am still looking for a good way to stop this thing, without resorting to Lucario. Admittedly Luke does a great job of destroying this guy, but it switches out whenever it see Lucario, meaning I take LO Recoil and usually don’t even scratch TTar.) For Clarification: Only LeadTar and other early game TTar's hurt. Luke kills any other TTar easily.
Azelf (Can't stop SR, and Taunt hurts.)
Gengar (Now less of a threat. Protect to scout it's move and get a Speed Boost, then pass to something who can take Gengar's attacks (or on the odd chance it's choice locked into Shadow Ball, Smeargle gets a free spore on the switch-in).)

I'll only say this: if your vaporeon has waterfall, use careful nature. For ninjask you have to switch bug buzz for x-scizor and put ice punch over HP ice on luke.
Also, you have to protect yourself against roar because it ruins your strategy. You can use smeargle with ingrain and baton pass but I don't know what you can replace it with.
I would help you more but I'm not a rater

I just noticed the mistake iwth Bug Buzz and edited it, it was just my brain going nuts when i was typing, it runs X-Scissor and the RMT reflects that now.

Just one question on the Vaporeon, what does Careful help with? I appreciate the advice, but i don't quite understand the concept behind it.

I'll change Luke to have Ice Punch.

Hmm, Roar... Yeah, that would hurt. Hmm... I thought i was safe behind a Sub against Roar/WW?

Waterfall is physicall and Calm is -At. so Careful is -SpAt and is also +SpDef. as you wanted. Also Sub protects you against status but not against roar.

Other advice: since your lead doesn't prevent rocks and you don't have a spinner, don't use focus sash on the other pokes because you're just losing those items without using them.

Lastly, how do you kill skarmory? After gross is dead it can come in on any poke except jolteon and whirlwind to ruin your strategy.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Baton Pass teams are bad by nature, this just takes that to a whole different level of bad. I can easily just let you set up all you want, and whenever I feel like it, I'll Roar away all your boosts. Baton pass needs Ingrain. In other words, use this:

Smeargle @ whatever
Own Tempo / Jolly
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass
- Substitute / Taunt
- Spore

There's just no way Baton Pass can be successful without Ingrain, even then it's a stretch.

Baton Pass teams are bad by nature, this just takes that to a whole different level of bad. I can easily just let you set up all you want, and whenever I feel like it, I'll Roar away all your boosts. Baton pass needs Ingrain. In other words, use this:

Smeargle @ whatever
Own Tempo / Jolly
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass
- Substitute / Taunt
- Spore

There's just no way Baton Pass can be successful without Ingrain, even then it's a stretch.
This was the set I was recomending. Use taunt over sub because you also don't have a taunter on your team. May I suggest a major change? Replace gross with ninjask (you can also switch protect with sub if you want) and then replace gross with this smeargle set (with leftovers). And change scizor's item. I suggest leftovers for durability.

What do you suggest i replace with Smeargle? I'm not sure what to take out to make way for it. I'm not really wanting to use a Ninjask Lead simply because it gets ruined too easily by Taunt leads.

Also, Ingrain, does it protect against both Roar and Whirlwind, or just one? I thought it was both, but just to make sure.

Hmm, Leftovers on 'Zor sounds good.

See my last post.

The problem with ninjask is that it takes 50% just to enter! And with 50% and its defenses any attack will kill it so it won't be able to set up.

Point taken: So, so far i have: Vaporeon --> Careful, Ninjask becomes Lead, Gross --> Smeargle set as above, Luke --> Ice Punch.

Changes will be made. Thanks. Still open to other help, though. Scizor may have Leftovers, but i'm not particularly fond of it as it is, maybe i need to test it to see if something else would work.

I myself as a baton pass team user need to help this one. First off, every baton pass team needs smeargle. Replace jolteon for it. Jolteon doesn't really accomplish anything besides pulling off substitutes, which vaporeon does better.

I recommend:
- Ingrain
- Spore
- Spider Web/Block/Mean Look
- Baton Pass

Smeargle is a necessity because it can pull off ingrain, which is extremely helpful against phazers and extra healing, and can pull off a trapping move, allowing you to set up against something weak and can't boost itself. Not only that, but it has a 100% accurate spore. Shed shell because if it's taunted while it has ingrain, all it has to do is struggle.

I don't know why you have focus sash and roost on scizor. It doesn't make any sense. What I would do is go for a bulkier spread, and replace roost with swords dance. This way, it will be able to pass off attack boosts when ninjask wouldn't have a chance to.

Speaking of ninjask, I'm wondering why it isn't in your lead position. Yeah you want SR and all, but then ninjask only has one chance to baton pass boosts. You can remedy this by either putting it in your lead, or get another speed booster. Zapdos with agility and baton pass, followed by substitute or roost, with thunderbolt can be a great speed passer.

You want wish over waterfall (why do you even have that anyway) on vaporeon. Wish is extremely helpful in healing team mates who can pass more boosts, not only that, but with the speed boost, you might even soak up some moves that would have been SE on vaporeon.

One more thing you need: A calm mind passer. Calm minds gather up special defensive boosts to make it easier for your team, and special attack boosts to help lucario out. The best choice would be celebi, as it has great defenses, and good resistances. Might want to replace metagross for it. Even if you won't get the SR up, it won't matter much if you pass boosts to lucario who will completely sweep your opponent's team anyway (if you manage to pull the chain off that is). Celebi has good synergy with Vaporeon, allowing celebi to CM up, and BP to vaporeon, wish, and BP back to celebi to pull off more CMs.

Good Luck.

I myself as a baton pass team user need to help this one. First off, every baton pass team needs smeargle. Replace jolteon for it. Jolteon doesn't really accomplish anything besides pulling off substitutes, which vaporeon does better.

I recommend:
- Ingrain
- Spore
- Spider Web/Block/Mean Look
- Baton Pass

Smeargle is a necessity because it can pull off ingrain, which is extremely helpful against phazers and extra healing, and can pull off a trapping move, allowing you to set up against something weak and can't boost itself. Not only that, but it has a 100% accurate spore. Shed shell because if it's taunted while it has ingrain, all it has to do is struggle.

I don't know why you have focus sash and roost on scizor. It doesn't make any sense. What I would do is go for a bulkier spread, and replace roost with swords dance. This way, it will be able to pass off attack boosts when ninjask wouldn't have a chance to.

Speaking of ninjask, I'm wondering why it isn't in your lead position. Yeah you want SR and all, but then ninjask only has one chance to baton pass boosts. You can remedy this by either putting it in your lead, or get another speed booster. Zapdos with agility and baton pass, followed by substitute or roost, with thunderbolt can be a great speed passer.

You want wish over waterfall (why do you even have that anyway) on vaporeon. Wish is extremely helpful in healing team mates who can pass more boosts, not only that, but with the speed boost, you might even soak up some moves that would have been SE on vaporeon.

One more thing you need: A calm mind passer. Calm minds gather up special defensive boosts to make it easier for your team, and special attack boosts to help lucario out. The best choice would be celebi, as it has great defenses, and good resistances. Might want to replace metagross for it. Even if you won't get the SR up, it won't matter much if you pass boosts to lucario who will completely sweep your opponent's team anyway (if you manage to pull the chain off that is). Celebi has good synergy with Vaporeon, allowing celebi to CM up, and BP to vaporeon, wish, and BP back to celebi to pull off more CMs.

Good Luck.
First of all, thanks a lot.

I'm going to straight up ignore removing Jolteon, as frankly i've been swept by Starmie so many times without it, i'm not going back. I will remove Substitute, though, like you said Vaporeon does it a lot better. For that same reason, i'm going to ignore Zapdos as a possible option as well, that's what was in Jolteon's spot beforehand, and even though it wasn't a Speed Passer, it wasn't helping much. I'm slightly paranoid of that blue star thing by now, i guess.

I'll take the Smeargle set, though, it seems good. I can't believe i'd totally forgotten Spore (WTF was i thinking?!?!?!), and use Ninjask as a lead. I'm not sure when it'd be a good idea to use Smeargle, though, when i should Baton Pass to it? I do have a Smeargle on hand, and testing it, it is extremely frail, barely able to take the attack when it switches in.

Hmm, right now i don't see the need for CM passer as yet, especially seeing how Lucario will now run Ice Punch instead, making it 100% physical. I could see it helping Vaporeon sponge hits, but that's about all. I'll consider it, but especially if you recommend removing Jolteon, my only Special Attacker, it's kind of a waste, those Special Attack boosts. Also, it would take a longer time to complete the chain with CM, straight up Swords Dancing is much faster.

Vaporeon...I don't know. I like Wish, and it was an option when i first built the team, either that or Aqua Ring. I really don't want to have to Struggle if i'm taunted, while Waterfall does excellent neutral damage to a lot of targets after a boost from Ninjask. Rarely do i find an SE move on Vaporeon that hurts it enough to warrant Passing to someone else (Bolt goes straight to Jolteon, and Grass moves are scarce).

You're right about Scizor, though, bulkier with Swords Dance would help a lot. I would've thought Roost was a good idea, especially with SD, to let is pass more, but if you say it's not good, i guess i'll remove it.

Point taken: So, so far i have: Vaporeon --> Careful, Ninjask becomes Lead, Gross --> Smeargle set as above, Luke --> Ice Punch.

Changes will be made. Thanks. Still open to other help, though. Scizor may have Leftovers, but i'm not particularly fond of it as it is, maybe i need to test it to see if something else would work.
nah it should be vaporeon --> Careful (though i don't recommend this, vaporeon has 110 base special attack!), smeargle -->lead (you need ingrain up ASAP to prevent roar/whirlwind) and AgiliPasser Jolteon --> current set.

Why lead Smeargle? I tested out LeadJask and it works quite well. Also, it's great to protect first turn to net a free Speed Boost so that Smeargle can safely Spore and Ingrain.

Also, what are you talking about with Jolteon? It was never an AgiliPasser and never will be.

Ninjask (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/6 SDef
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
---
The first three moves really the most obvious Ninjask moveset that needs little explanation. In most cases, though, I can get a Swords Dance up quickly while my opponent switches to an appropriate counter, thanks to Metagross exploding. I run X-Scissor as the final move on this set for fear of Taunt, so that I still have something to attack with. The original moveset used Substitute instead, but it turned out that my Focus Sash was just too valuable.
What Focus Sash for? Metagross cannot stop many lead to set Stealth Rock (Azelf, Gliscor, Infernape, Aerodactyl, Mamoswine, Swampert,...), and when you switch Ninjask in, lost 50% HP -> Focus Sash useless

First, You need someone with mean look to mean look the pokemon before they switch to something else and then use taunt..i would recommend use Umbreon as lead Because of Bulk.

On Vaporeon Use Acid Armor > Waterfall To prevent physical attackers from touching you.

I Dont see the point on what ninjask is doing there on your team.Use Gliscor > Ninjask with Rock Polish/Sword Dance/Baton Pass And Taunt with yache berry to block them from taunting you. Really, i must say gliscor is a guy that is better then Ninjask because of the access to Taunt.

I Wonder What Jolteon is Doing There. Use Celebi > Jolteon To Pass Calm Minds To Lucario. But i don't think its necessary

I Guess Replace Scizor With Smeargle with ingrain to prevent them from Roaring or Phazing you in a way. Smeargle also shut downs the pokemon with Spore ^^

Good Luck!

I have used Baton Pass teams, and you REALLY REALLY need gliscor and a pokemon with mean look

Ninjask should definitely go in the lead spot if you're planning on using it. Considering the fact that it takes 50% from switching into Stealth Rock, it's much less viable outside of the lead position. Also, try using Substitute over X-Scissor. Many members of Baton Pass teams should focus more on building the BP chain, rather than attacking it all.

Seconding Infernape's suggestions. Use Acid Armor on Vaporeon and this Smeargle set instead over Scizor:

Smeargle @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Spore
- Substitute
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass

You'll need a way to prevent phazers such as Skarmory from messing up your chain, so Ingrain is pretty much a necessity on teams of this nature. Spore is also quite useful for putting any notable threats to sleep.

Good luck with your team!

In addition to the lack of Ingrain, your team also lacks Taunt which is vital to prevent threats such as Skarmory from whirlwinding your boosts away. I would suggest a Rock Polish/Taunt/Earthquake/Roost set for Gliscor and replace Ninjask, and then of course the Smeargle for Ingrain that most people have suggested already...

First of all, thanks a lot.

I'm going to straight up ignore removing Jolteon, as frankly i've been swept by Starmie so many times without it, i'm not going back. I will remove Substitute, though, like you said Vaporeon does it a lot better. For that same reason, i'm going to ignore Zapdos as a possible option as well, that's what was in Jolteon's spot beforehand, and even though it wasn't a Speed Passer, it wasn't helping much. I'm slightly paranoid of that blue star thing by now, i guess.

Here is the problem though: you're using a good baton passer spot, who could take advantage of it, JUST to beat starmie. I'm pretty sure you can come up with something better to both beat starmie, AND be beneficial to the chain. For example, you can rack up sp defense boosts, pass to smeargle, and it can spore starmie (don't take my word for it though, the idea is a little shaky).

Or I have another suggestion: Mr. Mime. I know what you're thinking "An NU in OU?! WTF?!". But Mr. Mime has some key options:

First off, it has the ability Sound Proof. It means you can't be Roared away, which is EXTREMELY helpful when you don't have ingrain up. Secondly, It has great special defense, able to take the hits of starmie, with max hp/sp defense (or even other special attackers). Lastly, it is able to calm mind and baton pass (not to mention being able to mess up an opponent, with encore, teeter dance, thunder wave, etc)

I'll take the Smeargle set, though, it seems good. I can't believe i'd totally forgotten Spore (WTF was i thinking?!?!?!), and use Ninjask as a lead. I'm not sure when it'd be a good idea to use Smeargle, though, when i should Baton Pass to it? I do have a Smeargle on hand, and testing it, it is extremely frail, barely able to take the attack when it switches in.

Yes, baton pass to it. It needs all the defense boosts it should get, and sp defense boosts.

Hmm, right now i don't see the need for CM passer as yet, especially seeing how Lucario will now run Ice Punch instead, making it 100% physical. I could see it helping Vaporeon sponge hits, but that's about all. I'll consider it, but especially if you recommend removing Jolteon, my only Special Attacker, it's kind of a waste, those Special Attack boosts. Also, it would take a longer time to complete the chain with CM, straight up Swords Dancing is much faster.

Whatever you want. You could go for amnesia passing as well, but the only passers are furret, mew, girafarig, and gorebyss. And smeargle of course (but that defeats the purpose of getting it in safely!). CM's main use is to pass special defensive boosts, which is extremely helpful for your baton pass users to take special hits, most importantly, smeargle.

Vaporeon...I don't know. I like Wish, and it was an option when i first built the team, either that or Aqua Ring. I really don't want to have to Struggle if i'm taunted, while Waterfall does excellent neutral damage to a lot of targets after a boost from Ninjask. Rarely do i find an SE move on Vaporeon that hurts it enough to warrant Passing to someone else (Bolt goes straight to Jolteon, and Grass moves are scarce).

Here's the problem though: First off, your vaporeon has waterfall. If you wanted an attack option, surf would be more powerful, as it comes off of vaporeon's high sp attack, and has a higher BP in the first place. Secondly, you NEED wish on your team. NEED it. Your chain cannot survive longer if you don't use it.

You're right about Scizor, though, bulkier with Swords Dance would help a lot. I would've thought Roost was a good idea, especially with SD, to let is pass more, but if you say it's not good, i guess i'll remove it.

I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, it's just that SD + ID is much better, with wish support.
One more thing, do you update your team? Because it would be much easier for people to rate if it was your newer team rather than your old post.

Okay, i'm updating the team asap with all changes, should be done in a half day or so.

As a quick summary of the new team, I've got (in order from Lead --> Receiver):

Ninjask @ Focus Sash (for obvious reasons)

Smeargle @ Shed Shell

Scizor @ Leftovers (Now bulkier, with SD)

Vaporeon @ Leftovers (now careful nature, no change to moveset)

Jolteon @ Leftovers (I'm working on this one... Gliscor stop tempting me!!!)

Lucario @ Life Orb (Adamant, 100% Physical build)

Also, i appreciate everyone's comments, but to the people saying things about Celebi CM passing to Wish Vaporeon and vice versa, no. I admit, yes, my team can't sponge hits as well as other Baton Pass teams. That's not hte point, though. I've played Baton Pass teams, even before Smogon, and there's no Roar/WW outside of Smogon, and even then, the chain takes way too long. The idea of this team is to streamline the chain to make it fast as hell, and that's why the main concerns are Atk and Spd boosting. Maybe on another team in the future i'll try that long chain again, but i've never been a great believer in Baton Pass 'chains', i'll stick to the quickest method possible.

I'll get to updating the OP asap.

Your team is still lacking a user of Taunt, which is really beneficial here. A few less commonly used moves have the potential to mess you up bad without a fast taunter, not to mention the general usefulness of the move when attempting to set up.

• Haze: Removes your boosts and forces you to waste time. Not blocked by Ingrain/Substitute.
  • Perish Song: Forces you to switch and lose your boosts. If you have already used Ingrain, guarantees the loss of a team member.

On a completely different note: Specs Lucario guarantees a OHKO on your Lucario with Vacuum Wave, which some Special Defense passing could avert. ExtremeSpeed does not OHKO back until +6 Atk.

I have a really cool set for ninjask which has worked really well for me. Use substitute in place of x-scissor and replace focus sash with leftovers. This way you can start off with protect or use sub when you predict your opponent will use SR. Then you can swords dance if you have a sub, or just bounce between protect and sub, easily getting you to +6 speed

Surprised you didn't follow me

Hey, Like i said, Use ACID ARMOR > WATERFALL on Vaporeon so it can pass defense boosts.

After that Remove Scizor For Gliscor Since Gliscor is your back-up passer for speed boost. Gliscor can also taunt Stopping OTHER Pokemon from phazing you or taunting you which scizor can't do.

Also you need a pokemon with MEAN LOOK So to prevent them from switching..like they switch to a counter like perish song celebi and bulkydos that will stop you from Baton Passing. I Would recommend you using Crobat or Umbreon for this matter. Put them in Lead Position

Good luck!

Your team is still lacking a user of Taunt, which is really beneficial here. A few less commonly used moves have the potential to mess you up bad without a fast taunter, not to mention the general usefulness of the move when attempting to set up.

• Haze: Removes your boosts and forces you to waste time. Not blocked by Ingrain/Substitute.
  • Perish Song: Forces you to switch and lose your boosts. If you have already used Ingrain, guarantees the loss of a team member.

On a completely different note: Specs Lucario guarantees a OHKO on your Lucario with Vacuum Wave, which some Special Defense passing could avert. ExtremeSpeed does not OHKO back until +6 Atk.
Hmm, never seen Haze at all before in any battle. It's not uncommon, it's like winning the lottery. Perish Song does scare me, but who uses it often? For some reason my mind jumps straight to Altaria, who isn't exactly common in OU. Also, is Perish Song Baton Passed? I would've thought that you just had to pass to someone else...

I have a really cool set for ninjask which has worked really well for me. Use substitute in place of x-scissor and replace focus sash with leftovers. This way you can start off with protect or use sub when you predict your opponent will use SR. Then you can swords dance if you have a sub, or just bounce between protect and sub, easily getting you to +6 speed
Hmm, i see your point, but SD SashJask works very well for me. Just SD first turn while they set up SR, then protect to get to +2 and +2. You can even SD again on the off chance you don't lose your sash, getting +4/+4. I'll keep your set in mind, though. I may try it out later if this Jask starts to falter.

Surprised you didn't follow me

Hey, Like i said, Use ACID ARMOR > WATERFALL on Vaporeon so it can pass defense boosts.

After that Remove Scizor For Gliscor Since Gliscor is your back-up passer for speed boost. Gliscor can also taunt Stopping OTHER Pokemon from phazing you or taunting you which scizor can't do.

Also you need a pokemon with MEAN LOOK So to prevent them from switching..like they switch to a counter like perish song celebi and bulkydos that will stop you from Baton Passing. I Would recommend you using Crobat or Umbreon for this matter. Put them in Lead Position

Good luck!
OK, wtf was i doing???!!! Argh. Anyways, yes, i knew i should've killed off Scizor, and Gliscor seems perfect (i'm starting to hate that red mantis). Taunt is good, i'll get a Gliscor right away. Sorry i missed your post before.

Why do i need Mean Look, i'll never know. I have Spider Web on Smeargle, is that not enough? Spore and Spider Web, then set up. Or Spider Web first, whatever. What makes Mean Look any better of a move, and why use both?

Also, for the last time, i am not losing Waterfall. I know i seem a bit stubborn with the Vaporeon, but i've been saved by boosted Waterfalls so many times, i'd rather not let it go. I will take Acid Armor into Consideration, perhaps replacing Aqua Ring, but there's no way in hell i'm losing Waterfall.

Facepalm

Seems you haven't used Baton Pass Teams Before.

So you are going to wait for smeargle to get baton passed then you spider web? No, they will taunt you before that, thats why THE Lead must have Mean Look Or Spider Web.

You will need Acid Armor..Vaporeon is to Support Acid Armor + Aqua ring so your other pokemon can take physical hits

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)