Baton pass! (non-luvdisc edition)

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Recently, I thought it would be hilarious to make a hyper offense team centered around luvdisc. It worked as well as one might expect it to work (30 percent of the time, maybe?), but I realized that red card works wonders for hyper offense.

At a glance:

Ninjask@Focus Sash

Adamant
252 Atk / 252 spd/ 4 hp
-x-scissor
-baton pass
-protect
-substitute

Ninjask is the cliche of baton pass teams. As soon as you see it, you know what it's going to do. Fortunately, it can be difficult trying to stop it. If I use it as the lead, I usually just sub or protect to +2 and pass the speed to one of my other pokes. If ninjask passes before its below 50 pct health, I can use it to pass at least +1 more later if for some reason my chain gets broken. The biggest problem ninjask has is mischevious heart taunt from thunderus. I really don't have much of an answer for it. Erefuun isn't really a problem because I always just start off with x-scissor, which 2hkos. Unless my opponent plays badly and let's ninjask survive till the taunt is over, I lose it, but it's worth getting rid of erefuun, since I still have smeargle. I've considered using the mail that prevents trick on it (forgot the name), since its the only pokemon I can afford to put it on, but I'm afraid priority attacks would ruin it. Are there any EV spreads that would let it survive a CB scizor bullet punch? I need help in these last two areas.

Smeargle@White Herb

Timid
252 HP / 252 spd / 4 def
-spore
-baton pass
-shell smash
-ingrain

I use smeargle as my lead if I think my opponent is going to use something slower than 273 speed or if my opponent uses espeon/xatu. Spore->shell smash-> pass to whichever pokemon can take hits of whatever pokemon my opponent switches to. If my opponent has espeon or xatu, I just shell smash because 9 times out of 10, the opponent will predict a spore. I have ingrain on it because I used it if my opponent switched to skarmory, but with espeon on my team, it doesnt really matter. Is there something else I should be using instead?

Mew@Red Card

Bold
252 hp / 252 def / 4 spd
-calm mind
-psycho shock
-substitute
-baton pass

Mew is one of the most versatile, unpredictable (in regard to how it will support a team, at least) pokemon in the game. It's bulky, has 101 hp subs, and after +2, can dent teams by itself. Psycho shock is used pretty arbitrarily. Normally, blissey isn't going to come in on mew anyway, but if for some reason it did, mew would beat it. It's also great for when people try to set up calm minds alongside mew if it's already used its red card. Red card destroys the opponents momentum if they try to set up alongside it. Since mew almost always has +2 speed, it can set up a sub after two or three calm minds (or more if the opponent keeps setting up) and once they attack the sub, they're forced to switch, leaving mew with huge sp.atk, allowing it to either baton pass or use psycho shock.

Vaporeon@Red Card

bold
Water Absorb
198hp / 252 def / 60 spd
-acid armor
-substitute
-surf
-baton pass

Vaporeon has always been one of my favorite defensive pokemon since gen 4. The purpose of this set is similar to Mew's. If the opponent is using a physical attacker that Mew is afraid of (tyranitar, for example), I pass speed to vaporeon. After 1 acid armor, its defense is ridiculous. its especially great when the opponent tries to set up swords dances because on their 3rd SD I set up a sub and when they attack it, they lose momentum and vaporeon will not be falling to physical attacks. If I already have calm minds in the chain, vaporeon can 1hko quite a few things that dont resist surf with its respectable base 110 sp atk.

Celebi@Red Card

Calm
252 hp / 252 spD / 4 spd
-energy ball
-calm mind
-baton pass
-substitute

Celebi is pivotal to my teams success since it's the only pokemon I use that's dedicated to taking special attacks. It also stops quagsire cold with energy ball. It functions exactly as Mew and vaporeon. Pokemon with fire moves are usually the only pokemon that threaten celebi, but vaporeon takes fire attacks easily.

Espeon@Leftovers

Timid
Magic Mirror
42 hp / 252 def / 128 sp.atk / 88 spd
-psycho shock
-hp fighting
-shadow ball
-baton pass

Espeon is probably the crux of my team. I was trying to come up with a pokemon that would make a good recipient of baton pass and espeon fits my needs perfectly. The speed Evs let me reach 305 speed, which outspeeds +2 base 88 speed pokemon with positive speed natures (notably dory in the sand). 128 sp atk gives it 656 sp atk at +2 with perfect coverage in psycho shock/shadow ball/hp fighting. 252 defense is to take advantage of acid armors from vaporeon. The rest I just dumped in hp. Espeon allows me to prevent pokemon from setting up hazards or, more importantly, trying to taunt or phase my baton passers. I use baton pass on it to continue the chain after the taunter/phaser has been taken care of. at +2 spd/sp.atk it usually sweeps whatever is left easily.

Notable Threats:

Thunderus- The biggest threat to my team I've encountered. taunt completely shuts down my team and without boosts, none of my pokemon have an answer to it. I haven't had trouble with most of the ones I've played against simply because they've let me get set up before they come in, and by that point its too late, but if it comes in early and taunts me, I have a really hard time coming back from it.

Erefuun with switcheroo- I explained that erefuun hasn't beenmuch of a problem to my team simply because of ninjask x-scissor and espeon, but ones running switcheroo can be problematic. If my opponent waits to send erefuun in in order to switcheroo midegame, it forces me to either try to reset my chain or to try to sweep with whatever pokemon I have in (vaporeon/espeon/celebi/mew). I mentioned the anti-trick mail on ninjask. What do you pplz think about that idea?

Thanks for reading! I really enjoyed coming up with this team, and I haven't seen anyone else using red card for hyper offense teams, so I thought it was worth sharing. Hope you enjoyed and I would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

Smeargle@White Herb

Timid
252 HP / 252 spd / 4 def
-spore
-substitute
-shell smash
-ingrain

I use smeargle as my lead if I think my opponent is going to use something slower than 273 speed or if my opponent uses espeon/xatu. Spore->shell smash-> pass to whichever pokemon can take hits of whatever pokemon my opponent switches to. If my opponent has espeon or xatu, I just shell smash because 9 times out of 10, the opponent will predict a spore. I have ingrain on it because I used it if my opponent switched to skarmory, but with espeon on my team, it doesnt really matter. Is there something else I should be using instead?
You might wanna try teaching him Baton Pass.

@Cherub hes baton passing to espeon.

But I think you should change Espeon to Lucario, when he receives a Shell Smash he will be a deadly sweeper, and with his great movepool he would be able to wreck teams with the right move.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The problem with passing to lucario would be that I would be incredibly susceptible to taunt and phasing (unless I sacrificed a turn for ingrainl which relies on the opponent sleeping for 3 turns). I originally tried latios, but once I pass to latios, I can't BP out if I need to, which ruins the chain. I would have the same problem with lucario. I'm not a he. EDIT: I changed vaporeons EVs to 198 HP / 252 def / 60 spd to outspeed base 115 pokes after a shell smash

For your ninjask EV spread you don't need 252 attack 252 speed. Put only enough attack to 2hko erufunn and you only need enough speed to outspeed base 140s (that one fast bug dude). Put the rest in hp for more bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)